2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ~all medical schools accept a higher rate of in-home applicants than any other school. I'm sure it's because they have more information on those students than they do most other applicants, considering the on-campus connections.

I've actually always heard that the med school doesn't favor Emory undergrads, at least not significantly. One of the reasons I didn't apply. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

In the Letters of Recommendation section of the secondary, it asks us to list the two professors who are writing our science letters of rec but then doesn't provide a space to list them... did anyone else come across this?

I've actually always heard that the med school doesn't favor Emory undergrads, at least not significantly. One of the reasons I didn't apply. :rolleyes:

Considering 48 of their 140 first-year students are from Georgia, I disagree with what you've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
In the Letters of Recommendation section of the secondary, it asks us to list the two professors who are writing our science letters of rec but then doesn't provide a space to list them... did anyone else come across this?

That's only if it's not a committee letter or a letter packet. After you chose the other option, the space opens up.

From Georgia ≠ from Emory?

Considering 48 of their 140 first-year students are from Georgia, I disagree with what you've heard.

See page 7 of this document for the undergrad institutions of the class of 2014:

http://www.med.emory.edu/state_of_school.pdf

15 of the 140 are from Emory in that class. That's relatively low when compared to schools like Tufts, BU, Brown etc... who are known for "favoring" their own undergrads.

oooh do i want this acceptance. Can you say AMAZING match list?

From Georgia ≠ from Emory?

See page 7 of this document for the undergrad institutions of the class of 2014:

http://www.med.emory.edu/state_of_school.pdf

15 of the 140 are from Emory in that class. That's relatively low when compared to schools like Tufts, BU, Brown etc... who are known for "favoring" their own undergrads.

Besides U.Georgia, significantly more Emory UGs are accepted into Emory's medical program than any other school. U.Georgia has three times as many students. Statistically, being from Emory gives you the best shot of being accepted by Emory. Call it what you want.

Remember that 75 percent of Emory's Undergrads are not Georgia residents. They are out-of-state.

Besides U.Georgia, significantly more Emory UGs matriculate into Emory's medical program than any other school.

Fixed that for you. Acceptance =/= matriculation.

I think the data you would need to support your original statement is the undergrad institutions of those who were accepted, not who actually matriculate. But this info isn't typically made public. Is there an admissions advantage to being an Emory undergrad/alumni? We don't know. Will Emory alumni more readily matriculate at their alma mater for medical school? Statistically, yes (as with most other schools in the US). That's the only conclusion we can make from the published data that I linked previously.

Last edited:
So I have been looking up charts on this topic and apparently every year out of roughly a 100 graduating seniors from Emory undergrad with at least a 3.5 gpa and 30 mcat score, roughly 20 of them are accepted to Emory's medical school.

Every year around 250 kids from Emory undergrad apply to medical school but only 100 have both a 3.5+ gpa and a 30+ mcat score.

Remember that 75 percent of Emory's Undergrads are not Georgia residents. They are out-of-state.

True that. A lot of students who go to private OOS undergrads like Emory don't continue for med school -- usually move to another school (to live in a new city) or return to home state where their residency still applies.

Also, Emory's a private school so they don't take residence into consideration (or at least they shouldn't).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if they still process your application before you send in a photo?

Does it need to be full sentences? Or can it be like: "Fall 2010 - shadowed primary-care physician and cardiologist, weekly 2 hours."

Also, diggin the CA flag avatar :thumbup:

yeah i'm wondering this too. how did most ppl write this? i feel like there's no room to write what you learned from the experiences either.

Does it need to be full sentences? Or can it be like: "Fall 2010 - shadowed primary-care physician and cardiologist, weekly 2 hours."

This works fine, I had similar partial-sentences in my secondary last year. Just make sure you play by the rules and don't exceed the word limit.

Hey guys, I just got my "application complete" email. In the email, they say that they're going to send out interview invites anywhere from now until February. Has anyone gotten an interview invite here yet?

I just received the same "your file is now complete" message. It sounds like interview offers will be coming out very soon.

It is a serious question. I heard some top medical schools like to take kids who went there for undergrad. They show some preference for their own students. I have heard this about JHU and NU.

this is not true at JHU--they interview more of their own but still accept less than or equal to 5 students...I assume it's the same at most top private schools

HMS accepts ~20 Harvard seniors and ~20 Harvard alumni.

All this talk about needing at least a 30 MCAT is making me disconcerted. I have a 29. I will have a master's degree in August, though! :D

All this talk about needing at least a 30 MCAT is making me disconcerted. I have a 29. I will have a master's degree in August, though! :D

As far as I know, there are very few schools that have strict cutoffs. Emory's a highly ranked school, so they'll be getting tons of applications from people with great scores, but don't let it discourage you. If the rest of your app is strong I don't think they'll overlook you purely on the basis of your score.

I'm pretty sure the entire medical school application process is geared towards being disconcerting. I wouldn't let it get to me so soon. :)

Look at it this way, if you don't apply, you know what the outcome will be. If you apply, at least you're putting the decision in the hands of Emory's Adcoms. As long as you're realistic about your odds, I can't see how it hurts to at least apply.

I'm pretty sure the entire medical school application process is geared towards being disconcerting. :)
HA. I second this idea. The mystery patterns refuse to be discovered, it seems.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I already submitted my primary 7/13 so I'll just have to wait a few weeks for the secondary.

The only thing that brings me down is my undergrad performance (c 3.3/s 3.1). Hopefully they notice I've partially rectified it with my graduate performace (3.8).

Does anyone know if applying to a combined degree program impacts you chance for admission into the medical school. For example, if I select the MD/MPH program, will they expect me to be a higher level candidate? Also, is it possible to get rejected from the combined degree but to still get into the normal program?

Submitted! Seems like a baller set up they've got over there.

SO excited about Emory!!!

I got the secondary on Thursday and am this [ ] close to submitting. I just have to decide on what exactly I want to say about the role of the physician (so many ways to go here!) and find a picture that doesn't make me look like such a baby. Example of why this is important to me: today someone asked me what grade I'm going into in the fall...

SO excited about Emory!!!

I got the secondary on Thursday and am this [ ] close to submitting. I just have to decide on what exactly I want to say about the role of the physician (so many ways to go here!) and find a picture that doesn't make me look like such a baby. Example of why this is important to me: today someone asked me what grade I'm going into in the fall...
I was mistaken for a highschooler last week. D'oh.

Then again, I can't really distinguish any age between 10-16ish. :laugh:

I was mistaken for a highschooler last week. D'oh.

Then again, I can't really distinguish any age between 10-16ish. :laugh:

I was hit on by a 15-year-old a few weeks back. Kid looked shocked when I told him I'm nearly 24, then asked if I had a younger sister. :laugh:

Has anyone figured out why they give us 1000 characters to explain where we will be during the interview season?

Has anyone figured out why they give us 1000 characters to explain where we will be during the interview season?

The most elaborate I could get was, "I will be in Massachussettes and am available to interview at any time."

Hello indonacious, I'm not sure about statistics for combined degrees, but to answer your second question, refer to this site: http://med.emory.edu/admissions/howtoapplydualdegreemph.cfm.

If you indicate MD/MPH on your supplemental application and you get accepted into the MD program, you're automatically accepted to the MPH program, [FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"provided successful completion of the medical school curriculum prior to the MPH year. ".

Does anyone know if applying to a combined degree program impacts you chance for admission into the medical school. For example, if I select the MD/MPH program, will they expect me to be a higher level candidate? Also, is it possible to get rejected from the combined degree but to still get into the normal program?

The most elaborate I could get was, "I will be in Massachussettes and am available to interview at any time."

If you spelled it like that... probably shouldn't have written anything.

Goodness, 100 words is really nothing! I barely wrote about 1.5 things I'm interested at Emory and it's already at the limit! They couldn't allow like 20 more words?? :laugh:

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion and say that I appreciated the word limit. It forced me to prioritize and distill my comments, and my blurb sounded more sincere then most of the other 1000+ word secondary essays that I submitted.

Besides, even when an adcom reads one of these >1000 word "Why [School]?" essays, I'm doubtful more than a few sentences actually stick with them. These essays can be pretty generic, so I think it's reasonable to encourage brevity.

I'm going to be the dissenting opinion and say that I appreciated the word limit. It forced me to prioritize and distill my comments, and my blurb sounded more sincere then most of the other 1000+ word secondary essays that I submitted.

Besides, even when an adcom reads one of these >1000 word "Why [School]?" essays, I'm doubtful more than a few sentences actually stick with them. These essays can be pretty generic, so I think it's reasonable to encourage brevity.

:thumbup: Totally agree!

Oh, I agree with you, I just think 100 words is pretty short when I'm used to at least 150 words on others. I'm just used to paragraphs with a main idea, what I think about it, and a close.

I like the approach by USC (Keck), they ask for 3-5 sentences instead.

I was hit on by a 15-year-old a few weeks back. Kid looked shocked when I told him I'm nearly 24, then asked if I had a younger sister. :laugh:

At the hospital I volunteer at, a nurse asked me "so when is your high school graduation?" I responded "a while ago, my university one was last year though." Come on, I don't look like a teenager :)

Any current students who could give some perspective on exactly what the Society System is and how it integrates into the curriculum?

Any current students who could give some perspective on exactly what the Society System is and how it integrates into the curriculum?

Anyone read about the society system and wonder if we get sorted by a hat?? Kind of excited by my mental picture now of beginning medical school...

Anyone read about the society system and wonder if we get sorted by a hat?? Kind of excited by my mental picture now of beginning medical school...

I hope I make Slytherin.

I hope I make Slytherin.

That will only happen if you have the blood of parents that work in a health or science related field. If both parents are physicians you will most likely become a perfect and headboy of Slytherin.

That will only happen if you have the blood of parents that work in a health or science related field. If both parents are physicians you will most likely become a perfect and headboy of Slytherin.

Drat. I suppose I can settle for Gryffindor. They don't discriminate based on legacy status. Besides, the best Slytherin is the one who's a Gryffindor.

In all seriousness, this is a question I would love to see answered. I read what was on the Emory page, but does it actually have an affect on day-to-day things? How many other schools have a similar system?

Last edited:
In all seriousness, this is a question I would love to see answered. I read what was on the Emory page, but does it actually have an affect on day-to-day things? How many other schools have a similar system?

Orientation starts for us M1's on Monday, so I'll report back after I learn more about the societies myself. I know CWRU has a similar system, so other schools are definitely doing this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.