2011-2012 Emory Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured you guys anxiously waiting would want to know I received a packet in Austin this afternoon. However, it is the holiday season, so I'm sure the post office is crazy busy right now if you haven't received anything yet.

I am so excited, I adore this school! Good luck to you all, and I hope to see you in Atlanta next fall!

Members don't see this ad.

Application Complete 8/23, II 12/20, Interview scheduled for 1/23! Plenty of hope for those of us who have been waiting nervously!

Wish this was me, complete around the same time. Congrats to you!! Did you send any updates or letters in the meantime?

Nothing yet. It's not cool that they don't send you an email... How easy would that have been??

Members don't see this ad :)
no love today either. two admissions meetings after interview and no news: prob silent rejection :(

no love today either. two admissions meetings after interview and no news: prob silent rejection :(

I am in the same boat, but I think it is to early for that. A lot of movement will occur s the cycle goes on .

nothing today either. i think they should just tell you if they move you to the next admissions cycle. all this mail watching is stressful

No love here either. And I interviewed all the way back in September :(

So 3 meetings and nothing ... considering I've only had 2 interviews and got WL for the other, this doesn't bode well.

I've heard stories of people interviewing in Oct/Nov and getting accepted Feb, so I guess I have one more shot?

Last edited:
Has anyone ever received an admission call because you did not receive/postmark the admit letter within 2 weeks? If so, whom was it from?

Withdrew my acceptance. I hope it goes to a good-looking woman (here's lookin' at you future male, heterosexual students of Emory).

Interview invite today!! I was complete in early-mid July.

SO happy! :D

Have we come to a consensus on whether sending update/letters of interest pre-interview is acceptable or not? I don't think it would hurt, but I also don't want to upset the adcom.

Have we come to a consensus on whether sending update/letters of interest pre-interview is acceptable or not? I don't think it would hurt, but I also don't want to upset the adcom.

The admissions office told me it was perfectly acceptable to send updates pre-interview. I sent an update/letter of interest to the generic admissions email.

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions office told me it was perfectly acceptable to send updates pre-interview. I sent an update/letter of interest to the generic admissions email.

Did you get a confirmation email?

Thanks madchemist, I appreciate your help. Have you been able to "extract" anything good yet?:roflcopter:

Ah crap, I sent one in mid-November and never got a confirmation email. Weird. I don't know if I should resend it.

I sent one in mid-December and didn't get a confirmation email either. I'm planning on calling either tomorrow or Thursday morning at the latest. I'll post what they say.

Sometimes they don't send a confirmation letter, but show that a letter was received on the website. Login to the secondary site and check the status of your application before calling. It should read "Update letter received [date]" if it was processed. Hope this helps.

I was just checking back through my email, and it appears that I actually didn't receive a confirmation email. My status page shows no change either.

I was just checking back through my email, and it appears that I actually didn't receive a confirmation email. My status page shows no change either.

I just called the office. They gave me a pretty standard line about having a lot of applications to process (over 7000) and update letters through that email address. She said they will sent out both a confirmation and it will be noted on your secondary once the letter has been added to your file.

I guess, just like everything else in this process, we just have to wait.

Good luck everyone!

did you all send it to this email address? [email protected]

i sent my update on november 30, never got confirmation email and it doesn't show up on my status either...

Any advice for interviewees? This will be my first group interview... :scared:

Any advice for interviewees? This will be my first group interview... :scared:

Not scary at all. Helps if you have a chance to talk to the other students in your group beforehand, but not necessary. I thought it was less stressful than 1-on-1 interviews. Seems like they're looking for team players, so I guess keep that in mind.

Not scary at all. Helps if you have a chance to talk to the other students in your group beforehand, but not necessary. I thought it was less stressful than 1-on-1 interviews. Seems like they're looking for team players, so I guess keep that in mind.

That's exactly how I approached it. I made sure to listen to the other person in my group and incorporated some of what he said into my responses - if it was relevant, of course. It made it easier that he answered questions first.

Is Emory still sending out interview invitations? I completed my secondary application around late November and still have not gotten an interview invite.

Yep, I got an invite on Friday so they're still sending out interviews.

Has anyone ever received an admission call because you did not receive/postmark the admit letter within 2 weeks? If so, whom was it from?
I actually got a call (and email) before getting the info in the mail. It was from Dean Robert Lee.

So, does Emory keep reviewing applicants throughout the season, so that people who interviewed a while back may still be under consideration for acceptance?

So, does Emory keep reviewing applicants throughout the season, so that people who interviewed a while back may still be under consideration for acceptance?

Yes, all interviewees are considered at each admission committee meeting. I'm not sure how the logistics of that work, but the take home is that anyone from the entire interview season can be accepted at each meeting. IIRC the class is "filled" around late-march, and interviewees who haven't received an acceptance are either wait-listed or denied admission at that time.

Re: phone calls, most offers of admission are made via post. The Associate Dean for Multicultural Affairs will notify some applicants by phone, but the standard method of communication is snail mail.

I'm an in-state resident w/ a 31 and a 3.96 in engineering, lots of extracurriculars/leadership and familiarity with Emory's program and the Atlanta hospital system. I plan to apply next cycle. Do you think I should retake the MCAT if Emory is my dream med school?

Last edited:
I'm an in-state resident w/ a 31 and a 3.96 in engineering, lots of extracurriculars/leadership and familiarity with Emory's program and the Atlanta hospital system. I plan to apply next cycle. Do you think I should retake the MCAT if Emory is my dream med school?

To my knowledge, Emory does not give official preference to in-state residents to the extent that public universities receiving tax funding normally do. I would guess that if your residency or family ties make Emory a particularly good fit for you, and you indicate that clearly, it might be helpful (and I can't imagine it hurting). With respect to your numbers, Emory has the following on its admissions website:
"The average cumulative GPA for our students who enrolled in the Fall 2006 class was a 3.66. The average MCAT score was a 33, with at least a 10 in each of the science subtests." (link:http://med.emory.edu/admissions/applyingtoemory.cfm). Based on this, you would seem to be in the ballpark. I'm sure that students with scores above those averages get turned down regularly, and students with scores below those obviously also get accepted, so I guess whether you retake or not depends on whether or not you think you could perform substantially better on a repeat exam. If so, it might be worth it. I've never served on a med school admissions committee, but I seriously doubt a change of 1 or 2 points would dramatically affect your chances of admission. If Emory is your dream school and you have the time to prepare and think you could score a 34 or 35, it could very well be worth it. My $.02. Good luck!

Just to agree with med2012x and throw in my own $0.02....

There are many ways of improving your application other than MCAT scores (research, community service, unique cultural/personal enrichment). I don't have the stats off-hand, but the chances of improving your score significantly from a 30 don't make it worth the risk of getting a similar or lower score, unless you're averaging above 36 or so regularly on practice exams.

I'd spend that time and energy on making yourself stand out in other ways... just 2 cents.. :)

Good luck!

per Emory:
http://med.emory.edu/admissions/applyingtoemory.cfm

Should you retake the MCAT?
http://www.studentdoc.com/mcat-test.html

Emory says that their average ACCEPTED MCAT is 34, but their average MATRICULATED MCAT is slightly above 33.0. All of the schools accept some superstars who go elsewhere, so it skews up the ACCEPTED average. One experience-- a 31O on a bad test day became a 33Q weeks later with no additional prep. Keep the faith! As I recall, Emory accepts about 25% from Ga.-- 9 from GT last year. :)

Emory says that their average ACCEPTED MCAT is 35, but their average MATRICULATED MCAT is 34. All of the schools accept some superstars who go elsewhere, so it skews up the ACCEPTED average. One experience-- a 31O on a bad test day became a 33Q weeks later with no additional prep. Keep the faith! As I recall, Emory accepts about 25% from Ga.-- 9 from GT last year. :)

The 2011 stats are in bold, but I completely agree with your assessment otherwise. At 31 MCAT with strong ties and a great application is competitive, IMO. Good luck!

My girlfriend has pretty much the exact same stats (but was an Emory undergrad) and was accepted.

http://med.emory.edu/admissions/mdprogramaboutsomdemographics.cfm

excerpt:
First-Year Medical Class, Fall 2011
6439 Applications Received
662 Applicants Interviewed

138 First-Year Students

67 Male (48%)
71 Female (52%)

34.0 Average MCAT Cumulative Score
11.8 Average MCAT Biological Science Subtest Score
11.4 Average MCAT Physical Science Subtest Score
10.8 Average MCAT Verbal Subtest Score
Q Average MCAT Writing Sample Score

3.67 Average Undergraduate GPA

63 Different Undergraduate Institutions
38 Different Undergraduate (Single) Majors
22 Different Undergraduate Double Majors
1 Different Undergraduate Triple Majors

87 Science or Engineering Majors (63%)
35 Humanities Majors (25%)
16 Combined Science & Humanities Majors (12%)
19 Graduate Degrees (rec'd prior to medical school)

32 Georgians (23%)

23 Average Age at Matriculation

37% Traditional Students (directly from undergrad)

Blah, I received an invite this morning, but I can't attend due to an interview that same date at another school. The date was for Feb 24. So, I hope it goes to some of you who are still waiting for an invite. I was complete on nov. 29.

Fearless

Best of luck for the remaining interviewees, it's fairly relaxed and they really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable.

Question: do the acceptances (postmarked) all go out on defined dates? I was told a wave of acceptance letters would go out on January 30th.

Also, I never received an email confirmation for my update / intent letter... I hope it went to the right email address haha. I interviewed MSTP so I sent my letter there, not to med admissions. Do they always confirm? I probably need to call them now.

C'MON TOP CHOICE!

I don't know about acceptances going out in the mail, I got mine by phone call.

I just emailed a thank you note to Mary and she responded. They prob inform you of some update about the status around the time they said during interview. Phone call if you get accepted.

alright guys. this week could be it. one more shot. letters go out the 30th, who's excited?

Status
Not open for further replies.