2011-2012 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to chime in, I am also on hold. 3.82 cGPA in Biomedical Engineering, 3.93 sGPA and 31R (11/10/10) MCAT. Hopefully all of our statuses change soon to interview invites!

I hope so too! I'm guessing it will be about two weeks before invites start getting handed out.

Members don't see this ad.

I have not been placed on hold..

But I'm not complete yet..lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I've mailed it twice now and they still haven't updated my status to "received". Not very happy.

I've mailed it twice now and they still haven't updated my status to "received". Not very happy.

Give it some time. They're probably swamped right now. Use delivery certification/registered mail to give yourself peace of mind.

should've emailed it.. mine showed up today and I e-mailed it on Saturday.

After reading last year's GWU thread, it doesn't seem like the chances of getting off this "re-review" list are too great. I don't know how they go about handing out interviews, but it didn't appear to be off any particular GPA/MCAT cutoffs either, because I saw applicants w/ ~3.6/30 combos getting interviews and those w/ 3.8+/35+ put "on hold".

It's still too early to predict anything, but I almost feel like most of us on hold will not hear anything for several months - whether it's a rejection or a very surprising interview invite.

Damn this randomness...

After reading last year's GWU thread, it doesn't seem like the chances of getting off this "re-review" list are too great. I don't know how they go about handing out interviews, but it didn't appear to be off any particular GPA/MCAT cutoffs either, because I saw applicants w/ ~3.6/30 combos getting interviews and those w/ 3.8+/35+ put "on hold".

It's still too early to predict anything, but I almost feel like most of us on hold will not hear anything for several months - whether it's a rejection or a very surprising interview invite.

Damn this randomness...

Yeah, I just did that too and lost a lot of hope. We might want to wait until the first batch of interview invites go out before arriving to such a conclusion, however. Not to mention that I'm sure admissions offices check SDN and GWU may be varying it up this year.

On another note--who here has been complete since say June 27 and is not on hold/re-review?

Damn this randomness...

Be a little more optimistic than that. They did not start handing out interviews until the 18th or so last year. I'm thinking that they are just putting the apps that they have reviewed so far into different piles such as "consider for interview", "review after October", etc. We can't make any conjectures until other statuses have been handed out, and, so far, the only ones that have been shown are those on hold.

Yeah, I just did that too and lost a lot of hope. We might want to wait until the first batch of interview invites go out before arriving to such a conclusion, however. Not to mention that I'm sure admissions offices check SDN and GWU may be varying it up this year.

This is my exact sentiment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Be a little more optimistic than that. They did not start handing out interviews until the 18th or so last year. I'm thinking that they are just putting the apps that they have reviewed so far into different piles such as "consider for interview", "review after October", etc. We can't make any conjectures until other statuses have been handed out, and, so far, the only ones that have been shown are those on hold.

Which is why it's important for people have have been completed since the 20s of June to post if their app is NOT under re-review/hold!

should've emailed it.. mine showed up today and I e-mailed it on Saturday.

Are you talking about submitting secondary application?

Is it possible to email seconday application?
I thought snail letter was the only option for secondary..

Any inputs would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you talking about submitting secondary application?

Is it possible to email seconday application?
I thought snail letter was the only option for secondary..

Any inputs would be very appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeah, print, scan and email. It says so on the page where you originally get the pdf.

On another note--who here has been complete since say June 27 and is not on hold/re-review?

My status changed to "Your application is complete and under review by the committee. Correspondence concerning the status of your application will be emailed to you shortly."

Complete on 6/23

My status changed to "Your application is complete and under review by the committee. Correspondence concerning the status of your application will be emailed to you shortly."

Complete on 6/23

And, were you ever "on hold?" - and then, your status changed to "Your app is under review?"

I only worry because I received the "hold" message last year, which spelled a rejection a few months later. Granted, I was not complete until September, I think, last year.

Last edited:
And, were you ever "on hold?" - and then, your status changed to "Your app is under review?"

I only worry because I received the "hold" message last year, which spelled a rejection a few months later. Granted, I was not complete until September, I think, last year.

I have not been on hold

Complete on 6/23

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what an interview invite likely appears as. Congrats, Tulo.

And fml to me. Def one of my top choices

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what an interview invite likely appears as. Congrats, Tulo.

And fml to me. Def one of my top choices

Last year when I came off the 're-review status', that's what appeared for me as well

Complete on 6/23

I have the same status. But let's not jump to conclusions, my stats are fairly average. Let's just wait and see how things play out.

I have the same status. But let's not jump to conclusions, my stats are fairly average. Let's just wait and see how things play out.

I'm sure that means you'll receive an invite.

Hold equals rejection - at least it did last year. I'm not holding my breath with a hold so early this year.

Hold equals rejection - at least it did last year. I'm not holding my breath with a hold so early this year.

Not true. Many people have said that they were on hold before getting an interview and an eventual acceptance.

Not true. Many people have said that they were on hold before getting an interview and an eventual acceptance.

Although you're right, it's very safe to say that chances are , people who are on hold are done.

You keep optimism alive, then.

I'm going to go with my results of already failing once with this school's application process after being put on hold.

I'll keep my hopes up until I see that rejection status. :)

Steve I think I have seen you on every school-specific thread I have looked at so far lol! How many schools are you applying to??

holy crap - and you only joined 6 months ago. I have to know - what is your "posts per day" stat? I nominate you for "SDN OCD of the Year Award" :)

Steve I think I have seen you on every school-specific thread I have looked at so far lol! How many schools are you applying to??

Enough :D. I am just very vocal on the SSD threads, so people think I am applying to like 50 schools or something, which is not true.

I'm going to go with my results of already failing once with this school's application process after being put on hold.

You and I are the same boat, FlyingBoat. :(

I don't think he's being too optimistic. There haven't been any interviews given out to the SDN crew (and SDNers are usually more competitive than the average applicant). Everyone has been placed on hold. Why would GW reject everyone that applied early?

holy crap - and you only joined 6 months ago. I have to know - what is your "posts per day" stat? I nominate you for "SDN OCD of the Year Award" :)

Seven months ago :) . Most of my posts have been in the C/O 2016 thread, though (pretty meaningless posts). Then of course there was my MCAT club thread and now the SSD threads. The posts add up.

And, trust me, there are people far more deserving of that award than me :). I appreciate the recognition though :cool:.

I don't think he's being too optimistic. There haven't been any interviews given out to the SDN crew (and SDNers are usually more competitive than the average applicant). Everyone has been placed on hold. Why would GW reject everyone that applied early?

Look at past years' threads. I'm praying that I'm wrong because I love GW so much, but I'm probably not.

That was my attitude too. I'm not being naive; I'm just keeping things in perspective.

Because they get 14 zillion apps, and it's not very hard to reject someone and justify it.

I hate to sound so negative/jaded, but as someone who went thru this process before, and did not succeed, it's just how it works. Schools get a ton of apps, and it's super easy to be rejected. My first year I was optimistic about holds, too, but they usually spell a rejection.

It's just the way it is - and, it's why we apply to 20 or 30 or 40+ schools - because it is so easy to be rejected.

I don't know where you got this from, but I was just reading through last years thread and there was some one that said they got an email inviting them for an interview while their status still said they were on hold for a re-review....

Anyone else having trouble getting the secondary from their site? When I click on the link I get a blank screen, and when I download the link I get a PDF I can't open titled Secondary Application 2012 LOCKED.pdf. What's going on??

I don't know where you got this from, but I was just reading through last years thread and there was some one that said they got an email inviting them for an interview while their status still said they were on hold for a re-review....

Happened to me. I already wrote GW off as a rejection, yet now it looks like I'll be matriculating there. TBH, hold normally does equal rejection if your app is complete. I just got lucky.

I'd be grateful to have an interview at GWU, my brother used to live near there. Such a great city...

Happened to me. I already wrote GW off as a rejection, yet now it looks like I'll be matriculating there. TBH, hold normally does equal rejection if your app is complete. I just got lucky.

congrats! you are indeed very lucky

I'm hoping its just generic like some have guessed on here. It'd just be so disappointing if it wasn't because this is the first school where I actually have some type of status update beyond "complete and waiting for review" or "under review." Hate to get rejected so early by the first school I completed.

Complete on 6/23

I also have this status, and was complete on 6/28.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm pretty sure you guys are getting interviews. Congratulations!

When were you guys complete? My app was complete around July 2, so I was wondering how long it took you guys to receive a final decision - hold or interview.

I'm hoping its just generic like some have guessed on here. It'd just be so disappointing if it wasn't because this is the first school where I actually have some type of status update beyond "complete and waiting for review" or "under review." Hate to get rejected so early by the first school I completed.

Congrats! probably interview

Joining the on-hold party. Complete 7/1, status changed today.

Status
Not open for further replies.