2011-2012 Hofstra Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned in this thread, Hofstra will matriculate 60 students, accept about 110-120 (rough estimate) out of 600 interviewees. I wonder if any other medical schools, especially the private schools, that have this tough chance of acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hm, interviewed 1/6 and i thought they said it'd take about a month to hear back, tho i kno alot of you guys been waiting much longer....did they not make some sort of decision after our interview or sth (thought they said that during the day when i asked about it). rather hear about rejection asap

hm, interviewed 1/6 and i thought they said it'd take about a month to hear back, tho i kno alot of you guys been waiting much longer....did they not make some sort of decision after our interview or sth (thought they said that during the day when i asked about it). rather hear about rejection asap

I interviewed on 1/13 and they told us that we could potentially hear back at any point between now and July and that ONE of our interviewers presents our case to the ADCOM. Keep in mind theres only 60 seats so they're probably being very choosy on who to offer acceptances. It was a while in last year's thread before they heard much so strap in for the long haul. :shrug:

Last edited:
If they wanna be so "choosy" as many people have said, I think they can be less "choosy" about who they reject. Why not at least give closure to 350 interviewees and reject them

Because the students they accept are likely to be even "choosier". If they reject too many and they end up with too few students, they can't go back and re-accept you.

Because the students they accept are likely to be even "choosier". If they reject too many and they end up with too few students, they can't go back and re-accept you.
apparently they can, as someone metioned in another thread that MCW had to do this a few years ago on May 15th when too many of t heir accepted student dropped them.

apparently they can, as someone metioned in another thread that MCW had to do this a few years ago on May 15th when too many of t heir accepted student dropped them.

Yes, but I'm sure they would rather not do that.

Anyone has problem logging in? It said "this is the disaster recovery portal" or sth like that.

Anyone has problem logging in? It said "this is the disaster recovery portal" or sth like that.

There's an announcement before you login: "Outage of technology services starting 5 p.m. Friday due to test of disaster recovery procedures"

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who is looking for a roommate for next yr hit me up. Especially if you are within driving distance to the school since I am from CA. I will probably have to rely on you for scoping out places and such. I am a very clean guy. PM me and we'll talk about details.

If there is a facebook group please link me also. I tried to search but couldn't find it. Thanks guys.

Anyone who is looking for a roommate for next yr hit me up. Especially if you are within driving distance to the school since I am from CA. I will probably have to rely on you for scoping out places and such. I am a very clean guy. PM me and we'll talk about details.

If there is a facebook group please link me also. I tried to search but couldn't find it. Thanks guys.

so you are considering to get an apt from first yr off? I thought about it, but i think for my frist year, i want to stay in dorm (hofstra dining yay).

anyway glad you also made your decision. see you next year!

There's an announcement before you login: "Outage of technology services starting 5 p.m. Friday due to test of disaster recovery procedures"
Can you log in now? I still can't even though the announcement message is gone. The login button gives no response when clicked on and there is no error message.

Can you log in now? I still can't even though the announcement message is gone. The login button gives no response when clicked on and there is no error message.
Yes, I can login fine. Maybe try a different browser?

Hello, I am interviewing here next week and was hoping someone who has already interviewed can provide feedback? there isn't too much information on the interview feedback section so if anyone has something to add I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
:)

Hello, I am interviewing here next week and was hoping someone who has already interviewed can provide feedback? there isn't too much information on the interview feedback section so if anyone has something to add I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks
:)
I thought the day was well-organized. In the morning, you have your two interviews with a financial aid info session. After lunch with some students and possibly the dean, you hop on a bus to the simulation center.

My interviewers asked all the standard questions (Why medicine, how did you study for the mcat, etc.) and were very cordial. After all the basic questions were out of way, we branched off and talked about sports, the future of medicine and hobbies. Other students got more strict interviewers, but they were also very welcoming. Many people in my group agreed that the interviews here were one of the least stressful.

My interviewers asked all the standard questions (Why medicine, how did you study for the mcat, etc.) and were very cordial.

I have never been asked "how did you study for the MCAT" :wtf:

My first interviewer asked me a lot about my MCAT prep as well, and how I thought I did vs how well I think I could have done. Definitely unusual. Then my second interviewer told me that the first one was closed file while the second was open file. Huh.

My first interviewer asked me a lot about my MCAT prep as well, and how I thought I did vs how well I think I could have done. Definitely unusual. Then my second interviewer told me that the first one was closed file while the second was open file. Huh.
That's odd...I'm pretty sure both of mine were open file.

Mine we're definitely both open, or at the very least they had the titles of my activity listings. Actually, the one interviewer pulled up my application on his computer because there was one thing in particularly he had read that he wanted to ask me about, but couldn't quite remember.

Maybe they were trying to see how you would do on a unusual question to see how you think...

That is not unusual enough to test anything. It is just a weird question that makes you wonder why he cares about it in the first place.

An unusual question to test you would be "define the color blue" like that one guy from Tufts that we heard so much about.

Hmm, every interviewer I've had asked about my study methods, so I just assumed it was a standard quesion. At one school, the interviewer showed me the evaluation form he had to fill in and it did contain a question explicitly about the MCAT. Though I do agree that it is a tricky/unusual question...

That is not unusual enough to test anything. It is just a weird question that makes you wonder why he cares about it in the first place.

An unusual question to test you would be "define the color blue" like that one guy from Tufts that we heard so much about.

It is unusual to throw you off guard. You prepare for why medicine, and general questions like that. Being asked something can easily fluster someone, and there is no wrong answer. LizzyM said this herself

Does anyone know anything detailed about their housing? - Dorms vs. off-campus apartments?

Does anyone know anything detailed about their housing? - Dorms vs. off-campus apartments?

Depends on what you'd like to know. Both options are available, and I think 1/2 the class lives in the dorms, and everyone else has apartments on LI, in Queens, and, at least one person lives in Manhattan. The dorms are shared with other grad students.

I have an interview at Hofstra tomorrow but today I woke up with a very hoarse voice (I've had a sore throat the past few days). I hope it goes away by tomorrow, but what should I do if it doesn't? any advice?

Anyone else have feedback on questions asked at the interview? Mine is tomorrow! :scared:

? What type of medicine would help bring my voice back? I've never heard of any.:confused:

:) yeah that's what I've been trying so far....

Hot water, lemon juice, honey - all day. I get laryngitis at least once a month.

Anyone else have feedback on questions asked at the interview? Mine is tomorrow! :scared:

don't worry so much. my interview at hofstra was most relaxed one ever. they ask questions based on what they see on your file.

I mean , of course why medicine? why hofstra can be asked, but besides that, just know your stuff. why did you write stuff on your ap? If you can answer that, then you are fine.

they asked me like 5 questions about working in a group environment, like a time when i went with a group decision but disagreed with it, or a time when i worked with a group and accomplished something significant. I didn't like those too much :thumbdown:. Besides that one interview, the whole thing was relaxing and I really liked it. My GPA sucks though so I am worried.

they asked me like 5 questions about working in a group environment, like a time when i went with a group decision but disagreed with it, or a time when i worked with a group and accomplished something significant. I didn't like those too much :thumbdown:. Besides that one interview, the whole thing was relaxing and I really liked it. My GPA sucks though so I am worried.

Dean Smith gave a speech to our interview group and he said that once the adcom establishes that you are a competent enough to pass medical school, meaning you have decent grades/scores, they throw your stats out and look at the rest of your app. While I cannot say with 100% confident that your GPA will not play a role after your interview, I wouldn't be too worried based on what Dr. Smith said.

Dean Smith gave a speech to our interview group and he said that once the adcom establishes that you are a competent enough to pass medical school, meaning you have decent grades/scores, they throw your stats out and look at the rest of your app. While I cannot say with 100% confident that your GPA will not play a role after your interview, I wouldn't be too worried based on what Dr. Smith said.

mind you, i got accepted in a first batch, and my GPA sucked badly also. if they invite you for interview, it means they like you for a reason, and they are interested in hearing how you are going to fit into their program (its unique! which is why i think i will love it), and so forth.

i really think hofstra, at least at this stage of their academic system, is niche school. No lecture is something that is very novel to me, and from all of my interviews at different schools, this was one that caught my eyes.

so go to the interview, show why you and how you will fit in, and do your best.

good luck.

I got some questions like that too. Had a little trouble answering them but evidently it didn't matter for me.

Mine we're definitely both open, or at the very least they had the titles of my activity listings. Actually, the one interviewer pulled up my application on his computer because there was one thing in particularly he had read that he wanted to ask me about, but couldn't quite remember.

You guys might want to check your facts.

mind you, i got accepted in a first batch, and my GPA sucked badly also. if they invite you for interview, it means they like you for a reason, and they are interested in hearing how you are going to fit into their program (its unique! which is why i think i will love it), and so forth.

i really think hofstra, at least at this stage of their academic system, is niche school. No lecture is something that is very novel to me, and from all of my interviews at different schools, this was one that caught my eyes.

so go to the interview, show why you and how you will fit in, and do your best.

good luck.

+10 style points. Y'all should listen to sunrider. This is almost the exact advice I give interviewees all the time.

yea, mine both had my application open on their computer or in front of them during my interview.

What do you mean? Both of them asked me questions that they could only have asked based on information they read on my application.

There is a difference between an interviewer knowing things that were included on a part of your application and a fully open-file interview.

I don't know everything about the inner workings of admissions, and if I did, I wouldn't tell you. But what I can tell you is that the two interviews serve very different purposes.

To those of you who have had yet to interview, it is best to take sunrider's advice. It doesn't really matter what the purpose or flavor of each interview is, or whether or not they have seen 100% of your file. What matters is that you have a good conversation with your interviewer and show him/her your passion for medicine. So regardless of the interview format, your approach to each of the interviews should be generally the same.

There is a difference between an interviewer knowing things that were included on a part of your application and a fully open-file interview.
I don't think anyone ever asserted that it was fully open file. The last time I checked, if it is partially open then that is more "open" than "closed". Otherwise they should both be considered closed since neither should know your GPA or MCAT score (although one of mine did because a recommendation letter mentioned it).

I don't think anyone ever asserted that it was fully open file. The last time I checked, if it is partially open then that is more "open" than "closed". Otherwise they should both be considered closed since neither should know your GPA or MCAT score (although one of mine did because a recommendation letter mentioned it).

My first interviewer knew my MCAT, GPA, and entire application, he had taken notes on it and asked me specific questions. My second interviewer had my application in paper on the table in front of me. I would consider these to be somewhat open file interviews....

Status
Not open for further replies.