2011-2012 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted today!!! Interviewed mid-february! soooo excited..was totally not expecting the call

:highfive: YES!!!! I'm going to spam your facebook wall now so the world will know.

Members don't see this ad.

Not really related to anything, but did anyone else think Governor O'Malley's tweet to Mitt Romney was effin' awesome?

https://twitter.com/#!/GovernorOMalley/status/182559541416824834

SDN only has a regular-clap smilie so I gotta go Chang for slow-clap.
tumblr_lg4xq6W24R1qbwdexo1_400.gif

Just remembered I'd have to get acquainted with new local + state politics if at JHU next year. Sweet.

Accepted today!!! Interviewed mid-february! soooo excited..was totally not expecting the call

Congrats!!

Members don't see this ad :)

:highfive: YES!!!! I'm going to spam your facebook wall now so the world will know.

Congrats!!! U of T is getting such great representation this year!

SDN only has a regular-clap smilie so I gotta go Chang for slow-clap.
tumblr_lg4xq6W24R1qbwdexo1_400.gif

Just remembered I'd have to get acquainted with new local + state politics if at JHU next year. Sweet.

And I just realized I need to get better acquainted with American pop culture if I'm moving south. That GIF went right over my head.

And I just realized I need to get better acquainted with American pop culture if I'm moving south. That GIF went right over my head.

Haha Community will get you acquainted with American culture fast. It's basically a blitz of references.

congrats!

So i guess if we interviewed around the same time and didnt get the call today its a no go? wasnt expecting anything till sun...ohh well

Last edited:
congrats!

So i guess if we interviewed around the same time and didnt get the call today its a no go? wasnt expecting anything till sun...ohh well

I remember they told us on interview day that they'll be calling on Mar 25 if i recall correctly. Im not sure if we interviewed on the same day, so maybe it's a later day for you?

x

Last edited:
I interviewed on feb 24th. Does anybody from that day remember when we were supposed to hear back? I think it was in April, but I'm not sure...I really just want to know already.

Does anyone from the 02/10 interview group remember the date by which we're supposed to hear back (if it hasn't already passed...)?

Just learned of 2 full scholarships today. I will not be attending JHUSOM as a result. Hope one of you gets to keep my seat warm for 4 years, and put a good word in for me during residency application...lol. It was a hard decision...but I'm running with debt-free options for now...Unless I win the lottery again (coz that's what getting in felt like :D) !

Rejected today, i guess better then hopefully wishing on a waitlist , grades wern't hopkins level anyway :thumbup:

congrats everyone else, maybe cross paths in residency!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know: do rejections come in snail mail or email?

Does anyone know: do rejections come in snail mail or email?

Mine was snail mail. I didn't get any email notification.

Edit: this was a post-interview rejection.

Last edited:
Financial aid awards are out! Just got an email letting me know.

Mine is pretty generous, too. It seemed to be all doom and gloom during the financial aid talk, so it's a really nice surprise.
Yup, very generous and if anything now makes decision making that much more complicated.

Mine was very generous as well.

I honestly did not expect this kind of support from JHU. It's incredibly humbling! This about closes the deal for me. :D

Just learned of 2 full scholarships today. I will not be attending JHUSOM as a result. Hope one of you gets to keep my seat warm for 4 years, and put a good word in for me during residency application...lol. It was a hard decision...but I'm running with debt-free options for now...Unless I win the lottery again (coz that's what getting in felt like :D) !
I also have some debt-free options that I will probably end up pursuing after receiving a not-so-generous financial aid package from Hopkins.

I wanted to say though that I completely agree with your description of getting into Hopkins - like winning the lottery. I felt on top of the world and so incredibly lucky. Hoping I will get to experience that feeling again in four years for residency!

I also have some debt-free options that I will probably end up pursuing after receiving a not-so-generous financial aid package from Hopkins.

I wanted to say though that I completely agree with your description of getting into Hopkins - like winning the lottery. I felt on top of the world and so incredibly lucky. Hoping I will get to experience that feeling again in four years for residency!

+2. Very sad to have to turn down, but financial aid makes this a non-option.

+3 . Same situation, but I am still debating what to do and am having a very tough time. All loans and a ton of debt at Hopkins v. little debt (scholarship) at my state school.

I wish the best of luck to everyone having to make decisions in the next month or so. May the debates be as easy as they can be and I hope everyone ends up happy/content in the end!

Very curious where all your full rides are from. What school is Hopkins losing you to?

Very curious where all your full rides are from. What school is Hopkins losing you to?
Well, debt-free because of generous scholarships + savings + some parent contribution, not necessarily a full ride for me. I have more details listed on my MDApps page.

And even though money is a huge factor, I am not completely decided yet. I am looking forward to Hopkins' Second Look! :)

I will be at second look also, but have a full ride at Michigan and almost all loans here. Both great programs=very straightforward decision, I think (for me, I realize others may weight things differently, of course)

Has anyone heard back about our student hosts? Thanks!

This got posted on the Facebook group, but it might be nice to post here as well for future applicants' sake: Beginning fall 2012, Hopkins is offering financial aid (both scholarships and loans) for international students!

Awesome news! Looking at previous posts in this thread, I'm not expecting too much in terms of financial aid, but just the discontinuation of the four-year escrow policy has made things so much easier.

I do wish they'd sent us a notification about this policy change, though...kind of weird to find out from a random post in the Facebook group.

Hi,

Any idea when the ranked waitlist comes out? Also, I don't expect any waitlist movement at jhu this year, but how can we send updates?

Thanks for any info you can provide. :)

Anyone interview March 8/9 hear back yet??? I believe those were the last two interview days...

I think you're right. Nope, I haven't heard anything yet, either. Hope it's soon!

Anyone interview March 8/9 hear back yet??? I believe those were the last two interview days...

For March 1/2 interviews, the committee meets April 13 and we're notified April 16 (info from my interview day). Maybe your interview days will also be include in that meeting? Or, the following week?

They told the March 8 group that we would hear during "the second week of April"..

Has anyone from Feb 24th heard back yet? They had mentioned that we wouldn't find out until after second look, so I'm assuming we're in the same group as March 1/2??

yea, i have a feeling the'yre saving up all us late interviewees for the end of this week. i think someone mentioned during the interview day that thurs/fri are the days that faculty and student interviewers have set aside to discuss applicants (as well as interview applicants during the interview season... a huge commitment of time it seems). it would be logical to assume that they would be taking part in these deliberations either tomorrow or friday and that we may hear back anytime between tomorrow and next monday.

what i don't understand is why second look is offered right before we would find out... doesn't seem too nice :-/ couldn't it have been delayed an extra week?

Has anyone from Feb 24th heard back yet? They had mentioned that we wouldn't find out until after second look, so I'm assuming we're in the same group as March 1/2??
hey im from Feb 24th and nope i haven't hear back yet. I agree with the others that I think we're evaluated tomorrow and will hear back between tomorrow and early next week. I sure hope its good news :)

P.S. (This whole process screws you over by being "late"....in regards to second look weekend comment)

JUST GOT THE CALL. ACCEPTED TO HOPKINS!!!
(interviewed in March)

I am incredibly happy. Will have some difficult decisions coming ahead...

Last edited:
Congrats masrawy!

I interviewed in March as well, and for some reason I remember Ms Mazza mentioning April 19/20 as the dates we should expect calls...might just be wishful thinking on my part :/ Do these dates ring a bell for anyone else?

Thanks!!! My interviewer told me that we would hear back mid-April, and I'm sure that more acceptances will trickle in for the next couple of weeks! Good luck!!:luck:

Congrats masrawy!

I interviewed in March as well, and for some reason I remember Ms Mazza mentioning April 19/20 as the dates we should expect calls...might just be wishful thinking on my part :/ Do these dates ring a bell for anyone else?

Thanks!!! My interviewer told me that we would hear back mid-April, and I'm sure that more acceptances will trickle in for the next couple of weeks! Good luck!!:luck:
Congrats!

Congrats! Is there anyway to check the status of our application anywhere? I'm afraid if we didn't get a call we're waitlisted or rejected, and I'd really just like to know so I can concentrate on whatever decision I have.

I called today and was told that my group (March 8) hadn't been reviewed by the committee yet. They said to expect a decision in "the next few weeks".

Seems a little weird though since I think masrawy also interviewed on March 8..

Status
Not open for further replies.