2011-2012 LSU - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else drop their spot at LSU? / Does anyone know if the next round of letters will go out tomorrow?

How long did it take y'all to hear back from the admissions office after mailing in your acceptance letter and $100 ?

Members don't see this ad :)
So has anyone gotten a letter yet, good or bad? Or are we all STILL waiting...

If we dont recieve a letter this week should we assume we are on the waitlist or do they actually send out letters saying "you are on the waitlist"? Last letter I got in March was NFA

How long did it take y'all to hear back from the admissions office after mailing in your acceptance letter and $100 ?

They just sent out the email with the orientation website. Did you get it? If you haven't gotten it yet, I can send you the link so you can get started with the paperwork.

If we dont recieve a letter this week should we assume we are on the waitlist or do they actually send out letters saying "you are on the waitlist"? Last letter I got in March was NFA

Once the final waitlist is determined, they should send you a letter saying that you are on the waitlist, if that is the case.

My current thinking. Last batch of acceptances was sent out on may 8th. I'm assuming that the adcom is giving that group of letters the allotted 2 weeks at which point they will send out another group of acceptances along with the wait list and rejection letters. That would put the next batch of letters to come out around the 23rd. Is this how yall are interpreting this situation and or have some other insights?

Quick question to anyone who may be able to help regarding LOR's and LSU-NO.

I'm a non-trad (25), and have been out of school for 3 years. I have 2 letters from professors who taught me during undergrad, but my 3rd is from an employer. It's close to impossible for me to get a 3rd letter from another professor who taught me, due to the fact that most of them have moved on, and the few that remain literally never knew me.

This will be my first time applying, and I will also be doing so without a committee letter. I haven't lived in Baton Rouge since graduating, so obtaining one wasn't really an option for me.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be at a disadvantage from the start at LSU-NO due to either of these situations.

Quick question to anyone who may be able to help regarding LOR's and LSU-NO.

I'm a non-trad (25), and have been out of school for 3 years. I have 2 letters from professors who taught me during undergrad, but my 3rd is from an employer. It's close to impossible for me to get a 3rd letter from another professor who taught me, due to the fact that most of them have moved on, and the few that remain literally never knew me.

This will be my first time applying, and I will also be doing so without a committee letter. I haven't lived in Baton Rouge since graduating, so obtaining one wasn't really an option for me.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be at a disadvantage from the start at LSU-NO due to either of these situations.

The website states that 3 science letters are required, but call the Admissions Office and explain your situation. I was in a similar situation, but was able to get in touch with a former professor who had moved on. Most will still check their University email accounts. Good luck!

it seems like an inane amount of time has passed without any official confirmation of waitlist status, if us unrejected are indeed on the waitlist.

it seems like an inane amount of time has passed without any official confirmation of waitlist status, if us unrejected are indeed on the waitlist.

Indeed; this is my second round applying, and I have not heard anything since my NFA three or so months ago. I sent a couple/few update letters, but now it is in God's hands. Well, the admissions committee's too. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
on the same note, i called the admissions office not two minutes ago to enquire about a waitlist. she said letters were being sent out today.

however, i would not at all be surprised if they weren't since there was some miscommunication between the adcom and admissions office before the last set went out.
gulp...i have no clue why the lady in the phone told me next week then. sry folks

on the same note, i called the admissions office not two minutes ago to enquire about a waitlist. she said letters were being sent out today.

however, i would not at all be surprised if they weren't since there was some miscommunication between the adcom and admissions office before the last set went out.

I got a waitlist letter today. It was mailed yesterday.

I got a waitlist letter today. It was mailed yesterday.

So did I. I love how they call it a "priority alternate list." Just call it what it is, a waitlist.

Unless of course there is a difference, which is doubtful.

Last edited:
waitlist as well. this whole process is very disheartening. i feel very confined and unable to move forward in my life when i can be called back at any given moment.

waitlist as well. this whole process is very disheartening. i feel very confined and unable to move forward in my life when i can be called back at any given moment.
Registered for an account just to concur with the above comment^^

Agreed. Has anyone recieved a rejection letter?

Agreed; it's very hard. I'll do whatever I can to ever avoid a situation like this in the future.

Good luck to all the waitlist peeps. I got in off the waitlist in early June four years ago, so I know how much it sucks. People do get in off the list, so don't lose hope.

I still haven't heard anything yet since my last NFA letter.. is it safe to assume that this week and next week letters are going to be wait-listed or rejections letters?

I got my rejection letter today. Still waiting on Shreveport so haven't given up all hope!

I got my rejection letter today. Still waiting on Shreveport so haven't given up all hope!

never give up, that's the key! you made it this far don't sell yourself short. you're still young! :)

that goes for everyone too, we support you!

Last edited:
just declined my acceptance...i really hope one of you gets my spot! i'm an OOS female.

I'm applying here for the fall of 2013 and I'm hoping someone here could help me since you guys are well into your cycle.

I have a low MCAT and 3.5+ gpa with a new MCAT scheduled at the end of July. I have set that date on my application and I am ready to submit.

Should I submit now (June 5th) or wait until I receive my new score? Does LSU-NO truly put your app on hold until they have your new score? Has anyone been through this?

After searching the other threads, some people are using a "sacrifice" school in order to get their app verified, then once the new score is in, they add their target schools.

Last edited:
I'm applying here for the fall of 2013 and I'm hoping someone here could help me since you guys are well into your cycle.

I have a low MCAT and 3.5+ gpa with a new MCAT scheduled at the end of July. I have set that date on my application and I am ready to submit.

Should I submit now (June 5th) or wait until I receive my new score? Does LSU-NO truly put your app on hold until they have your new score? Has anyone been through this?

After searching the other threads, some people are using a "sacrifice" school in order to get their app verified, then once the new score is in, they add their target schools.

The earlier you submit the better, regardless of if you are retaking the MCAT. This way you will be able to finish all of the secondary application material and they will begin reviewing your application. Unless you are applying early decision, they don't typically start sending out interview invites for regular applicants until October anyway, and by then your new MCAT score will in your file. So, I think its best for you to just get the ball rolling as soon as possible. APPLY EARLY!

Last edited:
The earlier you submit the better, regardless of if you are retaking the MCAT. This way you will be able to finish all of the secondary application material and they will begin reviewing your application. Unless you are applying early decision, they don't typically start sending out interview invites for regular applicants until October anyway, and by then your new MCAT score will in your file. So, I think its best for you to just get the ball rolling as soon as possible. APPLY EARLY!

Thank you, I really appreciate the input.

I was in the exact scenario. I took my first MCAT in May, didn't do so hot. I took my second MCAT in late July and I had already submitted my app to LSU. They do wait to review your app if you noted on your application that you are scheduled to take another MCAT.

Like the poster said before me, apply early, especially if you are confident you'll do better on the next MCAT!

But I see what you are saying. You could always use a 'sacrifice' school to verify your app & add LSU once you are happy with your score. Tough call IMO.

they could have at the very least told us where we lie on the waitlist(higher/middle/lower third), instead of telling us to fret and not call them. also this process of keeping us in the dark, and the miscommunication between the adcom and the admissions office is fantastic.

i just received a job offer, in which i had to tell them my current situation.
</rant>

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist?

I have. Received a "priority alternate" letter on 5/23, got the call from admissions on 6/1 while I was playing golf. Needless to say I played the worst round of my life :laugh:

Could you describe what an average day/week is like for you, schedule-wise? Especially during the first & second year? How does that change in weeks leading up to tests? How often are tests? I'm trying to get a better idea of what to expect, and for what my spouse should expect. Thank you! Looking forward to joining the ranks soon :)

Could you describe what an average day/week is like for you, schedule-wise? Especially during the first & second year? How does that change in weeks leading up to tests? How often are tests? I'm trying to get a better idea of what to expect, and for what my spouse should expect. Thank you! Looking forward to joining the ranks soon :)

For your first semester, there will only be three "blocks" of tests. They are 5-6 weeks apart. For your second semester, there are four blocks of tests plus shelf exams the week after your fourth block.

In terms of schedule: if you really have your **** together and get organized, you can treat med school like a full time (or even part time) job. There will be plenty of free time to spend with your spouse. The first block might be a little rough, but this time should be spent hammering out a routine that works for you (and your spouse).

The bad part about first semester is that anatomy lab is "mandatory." This means you'll be in the lab 3 days a week in the afternoon. The professors make it seem like classes are mandatory as well. They aren't. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would only have gone to a very, very select few lectures.

The amount of tests is subject to change. My year's second year test schedule is different from last year's. Yours might be different as well.

These are the types of questions y'all can ask your "big buddies" when you get to school next semester. During your orientation week, they will take you to lunch somewhere and give you the quick and dirty on med school.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to PM me or keep posting in the thread (I'll respond to both). I'm doing research this summer - free time is plentiful...

Start going about life as if you don't get in. Hope for the best, plan for the worst. I was accepted into grad school the day before I was accepted into med school.

For your first semester, there will only be three "blocks" of tests. They are 5-6 weeks apart. For your second semester, there are four blocks of tests plus shelf exams the week after your fourth block.

In terms of schedule: if you really have your **** together and get organized, you can treat med school like a full time (or even part time) job. There will be plenty of free time to spend with your spouse. The first block might be a little rough, but this time should be spent hammering out a routine that works for you (and your spouse).

The bad part about first semester is that anatomy lab is "mandatory." This means you'll be in the lab 3 days a week in the afternoon. The professors make it seem like classes are mandatory as well. They aren't. If I had to do it all over again, I probably would only have gone to a very, very select few lectures.

The amount of tests is subject to change. My year's second year test schedule is different from last year's. Yours might be different as well.

These are the types of questions y'all can ask your "big buddies" when you get to school next semester. During your orientation week, they will take you to lunch somewhere and give you the quick and dirty on med school.

If anyone has any more questions, feel free to PM me or keep posting in the thread (I'll respond to both). I'm doing research this summer - free time is plentiful...

Good stuff, thanks for that.

Thank you! Very helpful.

:thumbup: All the above is accurate, with some variability by person, obviously. I think 40 efficient (key word) hours of work a week is sufficient for most who get into med school to pass classes. Admittedly, I spend a lot more time than that, partially due to spending some time inefficiently and partially due to getting anxious about the material if I don't over prepare. You just have to find what works for you - the extra hours are worth it to me for my peace of mind (still working on that efficiency thing).

As far as classes, I got very little out of them. I stopped going altogether early into 2nd semester. That said, I recommend going to at least the first block's worth of classes. It won't take up so much time that you'll hate yourself for it if you don't get anything out of it, and there's no way to know if it will be helpful for you if you don't give it a try (and you don't want to get yourself in a bad place from the getgo).

:thumbup: All the above is accurate, with some variability by person, obviously. I think 40 efficient (key word) hours of work a week is sufficient for most who get into med school to pass classes. Admittedly, I spend a lot more time than that, partially due to spending some time inefficiently and partially due to getting anxious about the material if I don't over prepare. You just have to find what works for you - the extra hours are worth it to me for my peace of mind (still working on that efficiency thing).

As far as classes, I got very little out of them. I stopped going altogether early into 2nd semester. That said, I recommend going to at least the first block's worth of classes. It won't take up so much time that you'll hate yourself for it if you don't get anything out of it, and there's no way to know if it will be helpful for you if you don't give it a try (and you don't want to get yourself in a bad place from the getgo).

Thanks for the advice.

Any word on podcasting? Seems like the best of both worlds: don't go to class, but instead, control lecturer @ 2X speed from my living room :)

Also, do many of the students attempt to integrate an iPad?

Last edited:
Podcasting hardware and software are both good to go as far as I'm aware, but it's up to each professor whether they choose to use it. So no clue. I didn't notice ipads

Also, do many of the students attempt to integrate an iPad?

I haven't seen an iPad in the classroom. I know people that move all of their notes and powerpoints from laptop to iPad because that's their preferred method of studying, though.

Hi all,

I'm a Tulane Class of 2016 student. My wife and I signed a contract for a great apartment on 508 Adams available beginning in July.

Our plans have changed and we are putting the apartment up for rent. Here are the specs:

--the upstairs part of a duplex.
--1 block off St. Charles between Carrollton and Broadway, right by a trolley stop
--very close to the uptown campus/Audubon Park. Can take the Tulane uptown/downtown shuttle, etc. http://goo.gl/maps/PfE7
--2 bedroom/1 bath, pretty spacious
--$1300/month plus utilities (unfurnished).
--No pets, no exceptions

I've included a link to a folder with pictures of the apartment:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/858mkriwdgun5wo/FJBQ-ncEVo

Please send me a FB message if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.