2011-2012 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please add me to the middle tier.

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted
DrHKitty's friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri's friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin's friend (Upper - before 3/24)
musicchick717 (Upper - 4/3)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
DrHKitty's friend #2 (Upper- 4/6)
Wanderlust12's friend (Upper - 4/11)

Upper
smooththrow
AU750
wampus cat
nathansmith
CaptSilentDuck
bama1016
smooththrow's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #2
kaptkrunch
frisbeechick
DrHKitty's friend #3

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend #2

Last edited:
Any news Today? I got the official alternate list letter in the mail. I got excited for a whole half second and then remembered they respond by email first.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news Today? I got the official alternate list letter in the mail. I got excited for a whole half second and then remembered they respond by email first.

Guess not.. The facebook groups seem to be growing a lot lately though!

Ditto to all of that...haha I definitely appreciated the reminder

i have been badly procrastinating in everything after the waitlist came out lol

is the waitlist getting larger this year or is it just more people using sdn this cycle? lol i am getting worried
I'm not too sure, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I have to make a $2,000 deposit in two weeks to hold my spot at another school. I think I might be having to do that. Bllllaaahhhh.

well a couple of years ago this entire thread was only like a couple of pages and the activities have gradually increased since. still i hope the list is not massive like last years

well a couple of years ago this entire thread was only like a couple of pages and the activities have gradually increased since. still i hope the list is not massive like last years

Based on the SDN sample size, I'm assuming the wait this year is going to be as large as last year. Comparing this thread to last year's, the upper tier seems to represent a similar amount of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think higher tier people are more likely to post their status on sdn, giving the false perception that there are lots of people in each waitlist levels. for example:

upper tier: "ohhh i am in the first tier i must post on sdn and see who else is gonna get in"

middle tier: "meh... alright i guess, maybe i should go on sdn and see what the list is like this year"

lower tier: ":bang:" ***too busy raging***

lol

So isn't April 15th the deadline for schools to notify students of scholarships? Hopefully the list will pick up after out of staters decline because they're too poor to attend...

Yeah, I believe so. Hoping there will be some movement next week.

I'm also in the upper third. Starting to get a bit antsy.

Or it could've just been the taxes. Either way, antsy.

Accepted!:D:thumbup: good luck to everyone else, hope to see you all soon!

How long did it take for anyone to hear about their financial aid statement? I've been waiting for the past three weeks...

I sent them an email about it, they replied saying they will start rewarding these funds in May... so sit back and relax till then!

How long did it take for anyone to hear about their financial aid statement? I've been waiting for the past three weeks...

I sent them an email about it, they replied saying they will start rewarding these funds in May... so sit back and relax till then!

:thumbup: They just set the 2012-2013 tuition recently, so I don't think anyone has received a complete financial aid statement yet.

Accepted
DrHKitty's friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri's friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
CaptSilentDuck (Upper - 4/18)

Upper
smooththrow
wampus cat
nathansmith
bama1016
smooththrow's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #2
kaptkrunch
frisbeechick
DrHKitty's friend #3

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend #2

so a month to go through half of one tier on sdn... taking in account of 5/15 deadline uab should be taking middle tier starting around 5/20, unless uab pulls a 2011 again lol

i'm already in but i have a friend on the middle third and one on the lower third. i can't guarantee that they aren't already on the list but i will let y'all know if i hear anything from them.

Hmm. I didn't post this message. Probably time to change my password.

i posted it, just using your screen name. have fun with step one tomorrow..

Accepted
DrHKitty’s friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri’s friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)

Upper
smooththrow
wampus cat
nathansmith
bama1016
smooththrow's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #2
kaptkrunch
frisbeechick
DrHKitty's friend #3
jackshephard815

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend #

Please put me in for middle.

So is it the general consensus that waitlist should hopefully move to middle tear in the middle of may? If nothing out of the ordinary happens..

Please put me in for middle.

So is it the general consensus that waitlist should hopefully move to middle tear in the middle of may? If nothing out of the ordinary happens..

if the rate of acceptance hold up then yes. does anyone know why the waitlist was so messed up last year?

Accepted
DrHKitty’s friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri’s friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)

Upper
smooththrow
wampus cat
nathansmith
bama1016
smooththrow's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #2
kaptkrunch
frisbeechick
DrHKitty's friend #3
jackshephard815

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

does anyone know why the waitlist was so messed up last year?

I think I remember reading that part of the reason was that they had accepted a great deal of OOS students. Who knows though. I believe that last year there was an entire month (4/20 - 5/20 I think) where no one was accepted from SDN. So it is exciting to see the waitlist begin moving earlier than last year and that it has continued to move some.

I think I remember reading that part of the reason was that they had accepted a great deal of OOS students. Who knows though. I believe that last year there was an entire month (4/20 - 5/20 I think) where no one was accepted from SDN. So it is exciting to see the waitlist begin moving earlier than last year and that it has continued to move some.

Yea, I don't think that was the case.. They only accepted 81 last year (as opposed to 87 and 89 in the years before).Whatever the reason, I just hope we're not in for a repeat of last year's wait-list extravaganza!

https://www.uab.edu/medicine/home/about-som/facts-figures

Quick question:

I'm currently a Junior at UA in Tuscaloosa but I'm a Florida resident. Is anyone in this thread in a similar situation or are out of state applicants? Just trying to get a feel for how the OOS acceptance stats are. Thanks!

Last edited:
We still have no clue how big the alternate list is this year? I actually called and the woman told me that she didn't know and had no way of knowing?? Seems like BS to me...

Haha, no way of knowing? Pretty sure she could've just said I'm not going to tell you...

Quick question:

I'm currently a Junior at UA in Tuscaloosa but I'm a Florida resident. Is anyone in this thread in a similar situation or are out of state applicants? Just trying to get a feel for how the OOS acceptance stats are. Thanks!

well from my lovely 2010-2011 MSAR book for the 2008-2009 class 1580 people applied from OOS, 133 interviewed, and 19 matriculated.

last year they probably accepted more OOS people than usual; uab increased the size of waitlist thinking more people would withdraw, but those OOS people didnt withdraw and messed up the waitlist movement

well from my lovely 2010-2011 MSAR book for the 2008-2009 class 1580 people applied from OOS, 133 interviewed, and 19 matriculated.

last year they probably accepted more OOS people than usual; uab increased the size of waitlist thinking more people would withdraw, but those OOS people didnt withdraw and messed up the waitlist movement

Although that is good information, I'm more looking for GPAs and MCATs for anyone who was accepted to UAB from out of state. I can't seem to find those numbers anywhere and I've only heard that they are much higher.

Although that is good information, I'm more looking for GPAs and MCATs for anyone who was accepted to UAB from out of state. I can't seem to find those numbers anywhere and I've only heard that they are much higher.

yea probably very high like 3.7+ and 33+. with my stat i probably stand absolutely no chance at even getting an oos interview at uab, but luckily for me i am instate lol

I think several accepted OOS people posted stats earlier in this thread. From what I remember there were gpa's 3.7+ and mcats 31+. UAB's averages right now are around 3.7 and 30, so I don't know that OOS averages are necessarily that much higher. Stats higher than average will help you, but you will also need a really well rounded application because a lot of people will have higher than average stats. About 56% of IS applicants are interviewed vs. 6% of OOS, so it's a lot more competitive and your EC's, shadowing, etc. will matter a great deal. And if you have average stats but stellar EC's, shadowing, etc. you still have a chance, considering UAB cares about much more than gpa and mcat.

Last edited:
I think several accepted OOS people posted stats earlier in this thread. From what I remember there were gpa's 3.7+ and mcats 31+. UAB's averages right now are around 3.7 and 30, so I don't know that OOS averages are necessarily that much higher. Stats higher than average will help you, but you will also need a really well rounded application because a lot of people will have higher than average stats. About 56% of IS applicants are interviewed vs. 6% of OOS, so it's a lot more competitive and your EC's, shadowing, etc. will matter a great deal. And if you have average stats but stellar EC's, shadowing, etc. you still have a chance, considering UAB cares about much more than gpa and mcat.

I've heard from all my advisers here at UA that research/clinical volunteering/shadowing are essential and the interview hits on those specifically. I can check those off as competitive to my IS and OOS counterparts which is good. My GPA is a 3.68. Close to the 3.7+ but no cigar. MCAT coming on June 21st with these next two months devoted to that and furthering my ECs. I guess I can hope for the best! UAB is definitely my first choice as a lot of the Florida schools aren't a good fit. May even take a gap year and gain residency (although that would leave me with only 2 IS schools instead of the 6 that Florida has).

Those of you that are fixated on stats are barking up the wrong tree. I don't think that numbers matter a whole lot once you pass a minimum point here.

Those of you that are fixated on stats are barking up the wrong tree. I don't think that numbers matter a whole lot once you pass a minimum point here.

but you need the numbers to get an interview and i believe IS and OOS have different standards. afterwards the numbers do play a lesser role

I've heard from all my advisers here at UA that research/clinical volunteering/shadowing are essential and the interview hits on those specifically. I can check those off as competitive to my IS and OOS counterparts which is good. My GPA is a 3.68. Close to the 3.7+ but no cigar. MCAT coming on June 21st with these next two months devoted to that and furthering my ECs. I guess I can hope for the best! UAB is definitely my first choice as a lot of the Florida schools aren't a good fit. May even take a gap year and gain residency (although that would leave me with only 2 IS schools instead of the 6 that Florida has).

The whole process is pretty crazy, but the good thing is that applications are definitely holistic. So an average gpa is nothing to get too worried about, especially if you are competitive in the other areas. And you've certainly been told right, research/clinical volunteering/shadowing are the essentials. Leadership is good, too. Just study hard for the mcat, do as well as possible, and hope for the best. Good luck to you!

That was basically my point...But I do agree with gatorade in that a certain gpa and mcat will be a great help in getting past initial reviews at a lot of schools. And OOS at UAB is very competitive. Of course it's possible to compensate for lower stats, though, like I said. Once in the interview stats matter much less (they still matter after your interview, however). Regardless, there is no reason not to do everything possible to make yourself more competitive (getting the best stats you can and quality EC's).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.