2011-2012 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my acceptance email. Good luck to everyone waiting.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got in this morning too!!! Super excited :) Good luck to all of you!

Congrats to everyone who was recently accepted! I'm looking forward to meeting you all in August!

Accepted
DrHKitty’s friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri’s friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin's friend (Upper - before 3/24)
musicchick717 (Upper - 4/3)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
DrHKitty's friend #2 (Upper- 4/6)
Wanderlust12's friend (Upper - 4/11)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
CaptSilentDuck (Upper - 4/18)
kaptkrunch (Upper - 4/26)
jackshephard815 (Upper - 4/26)

Upper
smooththrow
wampus cat
nathansmith
bama1016
smooththrow's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #2
frisbeechick
DrHKitty's friend #3

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

how many of you accepted will definitely go? I know I probably will lol

how many of you accepted will definitely go? I know I probably will lol
I am not quite sure yet. South offered me scholarship money. UAB's scholarship deadline was 4/16 so I am assuming they are still giving out more scholarship money. Financial aid packages haven't been announced yet either.

Ok, so when is the deadline to find out about scholarships so we can see some real movement for those of us who are concerned with getting in AT ALL... Sorry, I don't mean to be short, just annoyed.

Ok, so when is the deadline to find out about scholarships so we can see some real movement for those of us who are concerned with getting in AT ALL... Sorry, I don't mean to be short, just annoyed.

i thought its april 15th. oh and may 15th is the day for major movement. looking at previous two years about 27-30 people have gotten in off the waitlist on SDN every year. i am hoping this year there is gonna be more simply because more people have been using SDN compared to previous years lol

Last edited:
ok i was bored so i compared SDN list data with the official waitlist numbers:

2010-2011 on SDN there were 40 on the waitlist and 24 got in; officially 132 were on waitlist and 69 got in

2009-2010 there were 35 on SDN waitlist and i think 29 got in; officially there were 98 and 68 got in

for this year so we have 38 on SDN, assuming official list is around 3 times larger again it is 114, which is not bad like last year but still large

i cant find anything specific on 2008-2009 but apparently they started taking lower tier in early june... so 2 out of last three years entire middle tier got taken... yeaaa still nervous about this waitlist thing lol

I just hope that many of us find something out on May 15. (fingers crossed!!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I hope the wait list movement is going well, I know it can be excruciating. I posted here a few weeks back about answering any questions people had and I wanted to extend the offer again to anyone who may be new or didn't see my offer last time.

Any questions about textbooks, where to live, student life, classes, whatever you may have been wondering about.

(We have less than 3 weeks left so burn out and my desire for summer vacation is a constant; so please, distract me)

Has anyone gotten their financial aid statement yet? I've been accepted for a while now. Also, per the discussion of scholarships, the major ones have already been given out. Smaller ones are going to be given out after May 15th, I think.

Hey guys, I hope the wait list movement is going well, I know it can be excruciating. I posted here a few weeks back about answering any questions people had and I wanted to extend the offer again to anyone who may be new or didn't see my offer last time.

Any questions about textbooks, where to live, student life, classes, whatever you may have been wondering about.

(We have less than 3 weeks left so burn out and my desire for summer vacation is a constant; so please, distract me)

I've noticed several schools have the cost of a new computer built into their fees section. Does UAB? I can't seem to find an itemized list of their fees, just a total cost. If not, can you get a loan supplement to purchase a laptop? Thanks! :luck:

Accepted
DrHKitty's friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri's friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
frisbeechick (Uppoer - 5/8)

Upper
smooththrow
wampus cat
nathansmith
bama1016
smooththrow's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #2
DrHKitty's friend #3

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

Hello all!

I am trying to make decisions on where to go to medical school but I have been on 11 interviews and have jumbled up all my memories :(

I was wondering if anyone who attends or knows the answers to these questions could help me.

1. How are classes graded in the first 2 years? P/NP? Honors pass? Grades?
2. How long do you get to study for the USMLE's and when in regards to finishing 2nd year classes and beginning rotations?
3. What is it like to live in Birmingham/ at UAB?
4. If you live/go here, what is the BEST and WORST part about the town and/or the school?

Any feedback would be so so sooo appreciated, I am freaking out and can't make a decision!!

Other choice is U of Iowa, btw.

Hello all!

I am trying to make decisions on where to go to medical school but I have been on 11 interviews and have jumbled up all my memories :(

I was wondering if anyone who attends or knows the answers to these questions could help me.

1. How are classes graded in the first 2 years? P/NP? Honors pass? Grades?
2. How long do you get to study for the USMLE's and when in regards to finishing 2nd year classes and beginning rotations?
3. What is it like to live in Birmingham/ at UAB?
4. If you live/go here, what is the BEST and WORST part about the town and/or the school?

Any feedback would be so so sooo appreciated, I am freaking out and can't make a decision!!

Other choice is U of Iowa, btw.

well i cant really answer the first two questions but since I lived in birmingham/UAB pretty much all my life i will try put in some general opinions about the other two.

3. Birmingham is actually quite diverse in lifestyle depending on where you live. if you want the quiet suburban life places like hoover/vestavia hills/mtn brook are great and they are only like 10min-ish drive away from UAB; they are very safe place too. if you want the complete opposite there are plenty of apartments on or near campus where a bicycle is sufficient for daily commuting to/from school n parties lol. Birmingham is in the south but UAB has a very diverse population due to its medical research facilities; you will see blacks/white/asian/muslims/martians walking around and nobody really gives a crap. weather gets pretty hot and a bit cold at times but its not that bad.

4. well, there is nothing exciting and horrible about bham. its kinda like a jack of all trade master of none kinda of town. once you lived here long enough you realize there is not that much to do and everything is kinda "meh". it is 3 hours drive to nashville n mobile, and like 1.5 hour drive to atlanta if you drive fast enough so its pretty easy to visit other places... but the city itself is kinda :lame:

there you go, i tried to be as unbiased as possible even though i am on the mid tier waitlist and you might be holding my spot lol. it all comes down to familiarity. do you enjoy living in the south or iowa? if you never lived down here before, I would be apprehensive about moving to a completely different setting for med school. UAB is my top choice mostly because i got my family/90% of friends/pet here and I would have an unmatched support system with me throughout the stresses of med school if I come here. if you got such support system in iowa, i would recommend you stay because those 2 MD schools arent that really different in academics/residencies possibilities, i think lol

i was saving my 400th post for announcing my possible acceptance off waitlist here on SDN... but i was like wahthehell might as well help someone and get some of that good karma

I can answer the first two.... (and the last two but I'm on my phone and don't feel like typing alot, the above poster did a pretty good idea of answering 3 and 4)

1. We are graded on a pass/fail system. You will get a number grade (you need >70 to pass), however we do not know our exact class rank. It is divided into quartiles, so we know if we are top 25%, middle 50%, or bottom 25%. It seems to work well. I think your actual # may be included in your deans letter.

2. For step 1, I feel like we get more dedicated study time than most other schools. Our last modules are endocrine and repro, which are "light" classes, and the professors know that we have step 1 coming up. After that there is an Integration module which is just a review class, with lax attendance policy. After that you have about a month of free dedicated time to study.

As for 3 and 4, I don't have any specifics but I will say that I have thoroughly enjoyed living in Birmingham, and while it can get boring at times (of course the above poster would say that, he grew up here - nobody thinks their hometown is interesting) there are a ton of things to do here if you look around. UAB is a great school with great resources and a great name. I was down to a couple schools and I am very happy I went with UAB.

Got pulled off the waitlist today. Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

Accepted
DrHKitty’s friend #1 (Upper- 3/20)
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
tigeri’s friend (Upper- week of 3/19)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
frisbeechick (Upper - 5/8)
bama1016 (Upper - 5/10)
smooththrow's friend #1 (Upper - 5/10)

Upper
smooththrow
wampus cat
nathansmith
smooththrow's friend #2
DrHKitty's friend #3

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

I agree with the above answers, and will add something about living in Birmingham. I have found its not that big of a deal to live 20 minutes away. My first year, I was worried about proximity, so I lived in southside in a brand new apartment complex. My roommate (now a member of the incoming class) had his car broken into and some expensive stuff stolen, and the rent was too high. You can really get ripped off downtown.

For 2nd year, I moved to a place off Lakeshore that was cheaper, called The Oaks. Avoid it if you can, unless you like loud bass at all hours of the day and night, having no fitness center, and smelling boiled sewage whenever you go outside (treatment plant next door). Also, bring your own light fixtures, as there are no lights or ceiling fans in the bedrooms or living room. Don't use the Chevron or Shell station at the corner, unless you enjoy encounters with aggressive panhandlers. One benefit of living 20 minutes away was that I listened to more Goljan audio while on the way to school.

In July, I hope to move slightly further away, into a house where I DON'T have to share a wall with someone I don't know. Cheaper + quieter is better.

If you insist on living downtown, and you or your parents have money, look at City Federal or Bristol.

I was not invited for interview and requested a feedback. How much time do they take to respond or should I call someone?

Got an interview, no waitlist; I asked a few days after I got the rejection email for feedback and it took about 1-2 weeks.

Congrats smooththrow!!! :D

Accepted
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
bama1016 (Upper - 5/10)
smooththrow (Upper - 5/14)

Upper
wampus cat
nathansmith
smooththrow's friend #2
DrHKitty's friend #3

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

gatorade848, it's on to see who gets in first....you or me??? Which one will it be??? (fingers crossed) I'll be happy if we both get in. haha

Accepted! Officially turned in my card for the Waiting Club. Hope y'all have tons of fun tomorrow.

So I'm the last top tier sdn'er.... Maybe today still has hope?

gatorade848, it's on to see who gets in first....you or me??? Which one will it be??? (fingers crossed) I'll be happy if we both get in. haha

i hope everybody gets in lol. i need to stop coming on SDN... pretty sure i am exhibiting signs of obsessive compulsive disorder with sprinkles of paranoid schizophrenia:scared:

My friend got in today too!!

Accepted
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
bama1016 (Upper - 5/10)
wampus cat (Upper - 5/14)
DrHKitty's friend #3 (Upper - 5/14)

Upper
nathansmith
smooththrow's friend #2

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

Looks like pretty good WL movement. I would guess that a little over half of the middle tier gets accepted, maybe more.

Accepted! Looks like middle tier is about to start. Congratulations to everybody already in, good luck to remaining waitlistees.

Congrats to all who got in!! Any chance yall were also accepted at South and plan on withdrawing today or tomorrow? :)

BCYfoJaKC02AcJUV8DVgUg2.jpg

is the waitlist movement monitored by computers? for example as soon as one dude withdraws they immediately sends offer of admission to the next person on the list. curious about how this whole thing works

Accepted
nossan (Upper- 3/23)
jrguin (Upper - 4/5)
AU750 (Upper - 4/17)
bama1016 (Upper - 5/10)
wampus cat (Upper - 5/14)
DrHKitty's friend #3 (Upper - 5/14)
nathansmith (Upper - 514)

Upper
smooththrow's friend #2

Middle
DrHKitty
DrHKitty's friend #4
Wanderlust12
gatorade848
AlaJ2012
tigeri
AU012
A123S
2324tigers's friend #1
smooththrow's friend #3
drswagga's friend #1
ssmith40
hotrod123

Lower
7nut12
drswagga
shock003
2324tigers's friend #2
drswagga's friend # 2

i hope everybody gets in lol. i need to stop coming on SDN... pretty sure i am exhibiting signs of obsessive compulsive disorder with sprinkles of paranoid schizophrenia:scared:
I may be worse than you are...seriously. haha I have the SDN app on my phone...:help:

Status
Not open for further replies.