2011-2012 University of Minnesota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Officially going to Duluth. Pretty stoked!

Congrats, I hope to be getting that call as well at some point in the near future

Members don't see this ad.

Parents are now amenable to me interviewing at the U of Minnesota.

Not that it's likely to do much good, as I seem to be getting waitlisted everywhere post-interview that isn't the school where I was accepted as pretty much a kneejerk reaction. *sigh* Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or the interview isn't all that important.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darn, was hoping to get "the call" from Dean White today. Going on 5 weeks...really hope this one works out. It's definitely my top choice and I'd love to stay close to home.

Looking at least years thread it seems like those who interviewed end of October/start of November didn't hear back until last year's equivalent of next Wednesday (Dec. 7th). Guess I'll have to worry about finding that dreaded wait-list letter every time I check the mail just a little while longer :scared:

On a happier note: congrats on the Duluth acceptances!

I've been complete for about 6 weeks now with no news back (in-state, high MCAT/GPA, applied TC-only). I saw one other person in the thread who waited longer but that was for Duluth. I hope this doesn't mean bad news is coming!!

Would it help anything to call/email the admissions office to inquire on the status of my application and a potential interview invite to show interest? I have some updates but nothing too substantial to really merit an update letter (and someone was saying these might not even be considered in the end).

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Interviewed today w/ Dr. Current. It went great! He's an amazing guy to get along with. I am trying to find an address to send him a thank you letter though..... Can't find one! If anybody has it, could you pm me? Thanks in advance!

Interviewed today w/ Dr. Current. It went great! He's an amazing guy to get along with. I am trying to find an address to send him a thank you letter though..... Can't find one! If anybody has it, could you pm me? Thanks in advance!

I couldn't find an address for him either. I just mailed my thank you note to the admissions office with his name on it. I sent it 3 or 4 weeks ago and it wasn't "returned to sender" so I'm assuming he got it.

I couldn't find an address for him either. I just mailed my thank you note to the admissions office with his name on it. I sent it 3 or 4 weeks ago and it wasn't "returned to sender" so I'm assuming he got it.

Good idea! Thanks.

I've been complete for about 6 weeks now with no news back (in-state, high MCAT/GPA, applied TC-only). I saw one other person in the thread who waited longer but that was for Duluth. I hope this doesn't mean bad news is coming!!

Would it help anything to call/email the admissions office to inquire on the status of my application and a potential interview invite to show interest? I have some updates but nothing too substantial to really merit an update letter (and someone was saying these might not even be considered in the end).

I was reading the thread from last year and someone there said something interesting. Apparently he called and asked the admissions office what was going on after some 10 weeks of waiting post interview. They told him that both interviewers need to be present at the committee for a final decision to be made. I guess one of his interviewers was a super busy person and just couldn't find a time that worked to meet with the committee. This is probably why some people get acceptances at different times despite interviewing on the same day.

Not sure if this still applies to this year though.

I'd wait a little bit longer. With your stats and IS status (looking at your mdapps - holy snap, nice), you'll almost definitely get an invite; I honestly can't think of a single reason why they'd reject you pre-interview.

But if it makes you feel better, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to call and ask ;). I've just heard the U can be notoriously slow with applications finalized later in the season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gave up my seat to Duluth! Good luck to the rest of the applicants! :)

Gave up my seat to Duluth! Good luck to the rest of the applicants! :)

Perhaps this is selfish but god bless you, and if they would be so kind as to send your seat my way Id be very grateful.

Only because I feel like my decision to attend MCW will be a better fit for me at this time in my life. I really liked the school at Duluth, and the people there are fantastic, I just made my decision to attend the other.

And I don't wanna be one of those people that waits until May 15 to decide, when I should be able to make a decision now :)

Anyone hear back from the Twin Cities lately?

Last edited:
Congrats on acceptances!

Does anyone know how long the Twin Cities interviews last? I know the student interview starts at 1:30 but no end time is listed. Interviewing this week and need to make plans. Thanks!

Congrats on acceptances!

Does anyone know how long the Twin Cities interviews last? I know the student interview starts at 1:30 but no end time is listed. Interviewing this week and need to make plans. Thanks!

I was out of there no later than 3:30pm, I don't remember the exact time. The interview didn't last longer than an hour though.

Last edited:
I was out of there no later than 3:30pm, I don't remember the exact time. The interview didn't last longer than an hour though.

same i was out around 3 to 3:30ish. it just depends if you interview first or second with the med student b/c the student typically has 2 interviews to do.

Earlier ITT it sounded like people were hearing TC decisions ~4 weeks post-interview. Anyone getting news lately?

Earlier ITT it sounded like people were hearing TC decisions ~4 weeks post-interview. Anyone getting news lately?

7ish weeks here. I know, it seems like no one's heard anything for a good long while...

I got an acceptance call on 12/6 for TC but was too stressed out to log on here.

Roughly a month ago. I'm also IS

Shoot, I'm at ~7 weeks post-interview (IS) and haven't heard anything back. Do you think I should call, or wait out the 6-8 weeks they designated before contacting admissions?

Anyone else been waiting this long?

Seriously? They got back to you in like 2-3 weeks?
Yea, it took 3 weeks to get back to me. I'm not exactly sure why but I did have one amazing interview with (what seemed like) an important faculty. I'm not like a stellar applicant or anything but if anything, this whole process is really arbitrary.

Shoot, I'm at ~7 weeks post-interview (IS) and haven't heard anything back. Do you think I should call, or wait out the 6-8 weeks they designated before contacting admissions?
Anyone else been waiting this long?
I would prolly just wait until after the winter break and then call. You're almost there; good luck!

Do you guys think there's any hope for me if I send in my secondary now? My secondary went to junk mail and I didn't receive it till recently... ughhhh. :oops:

Do you guys think there's any hope for me if I send in my secondary now? My secondary went to junk mail and I didn't receive it till recently... ughhhh. :oops:

I would not think it is too late, but get it in soon. I recently (in the last week) received the secondary for the first time.

I got the acceptance call from Dean White earlier today! I interviewed on 12/1! Any questions about me as an applicant, or anything in general, just PM me or let me know! ::soexcited::soexcited::horns::horns:

Interviewed last Friday after a longsuffering battle for the right to do so.

I think I'd oversold the school to myself before I ever got there, though. People were nice, but facilities were underwhelming, they still do scantron testing (DAFUQ?), and interview was traumatic. It was with a little old lady who seemed at first to be very nice, but asked a lot of tough questions, and said, "try to relax" multiple times. I must've been really jittery. I did relax, about 20 mins in, but I still worry.

And they misspelled my name on my name tag.

I think I'd oversold the school to myself before I ever got there, though. People were nice, but facilities were underwhelming, they still do scantron testing (DAFUQ?), and interview was traumatic. It was with a little old lady who seemed at first to be very nice, but asked a lot of tough questions, and said, "try to relax" multiple times. I must've been really jittery. I did relax, about 20 mins in, but I still worry.

I'm pretty sure I interviewed with the same woman. I had a terrific chat with her, and really enjoyed the interview. She teaches the clinical courses, so if you do go to the U, you haven't seen the last of her by any means. She wasn't out to get you, and I think she is, actually, very nice. Tough questions are part of the deal. For others reading this thread- I didn't hear of, or experience, any horror story-type interviewers. Be ye not afraid.

The facilities aren't bad. Sure, the offices are in a dinosaur of a building, but the labs and lecture halls, I felt, were excellent. I guess I didn't have test administration modality (scantron FTW) anywhere near the top of my priorities...

But hey, if it's not a good fit for you, and the interview day helped you see that, then it was no less valuable. Good luck.

Hmmm... that's unfortunate. I had an exceedingly pleasant interview day. As far as testing modalities, I'll take scantron multiple choice over short essay questions that need to be hand-written any day. If they can be typed, then it's a whole other story. :cool:

Even though some of the facilities are a bit old, I like them. I really like all the student study areas, and I like how the school is in the heart of the hussle and bussle of a functioning medical center. You're walking around important doctors and researchers all the time. Something about that makes it feel that much more impressive. As the previous poster said, if it's not your fit, then it's good you know. :thumbup:

I had a somewhat similar experience at my U of Iowa interview last month. The school, facilities, etc are incredible. The people are supposed to be wonderful, but my tour guide was exceedingly unenthusiastic and uninformative, and my interviewers were too rigid and formal for my liking. It left a bad taste in my mouth, but I still really like the school.

-- I'm not talking about short answer based tests (and I think only a couple schools do those, i.e. Hopkins).

What a lot of schools are transitioning to are the computer-based multiple choice testing, and a format and environment that is much like that of the Boards. At some schools you can even take exams on a flex-time basis. They let you take the test any time between Friday afternoon and Monday, on your own computer in a public study space or in a lab.

So yeah. The computerized, flexible testing is important to me because it will be the antidote to the sit-in-this-lecture-hall-and-perform-right-here-right-now-usually-early-in-the-morning anxiety that's always held me back in undergrad. Also, practice makes perfect for standardized exams, and the Boards are all computerized.

-- My problem with the facilities was the lack of natural light, but I guess in Minnesota it can be hard to have lots of windows because of the glare from all the snow.

-- My little old lady interview was very conversational and pleasant, but a couple things she said kind of scared me. When we were on the topic of open-mindedness, she said "I invite you to challenge that assumption too, because that's an age-ist perspective" when I said I doubted my mother would change her racist ways. And then there was the "do try to relax" comment twice. We ended up laughing on both accounts, I apologized about a hundred times and accepted her invitation to question my assumption, and she said she hadn't meant what she said in a critical way at all -- she just likes to challenge people in general. But I guess I'm just a worrier.

She also had it highlighted in my personal statement every time I had written "I" and "my." Which looked like a lot of times from where I was sitting. Now I can't get that out of my head that she probably thinks I'm self-centered.

So in summary, I've seen better and I've seen worse. As far as fit, I'd say its decent, as the patient care RPAP and MPAP programs are right up my alley, and the testing and facilities are things I can deal with.

The only reason I was so nervous at the beginning of the interview was because, despite the couple of flaws I found in the school, I really did want to get in. And at this point my acceptances, waitlists, and rejections are so all over the map that I feel frustratingly powerless in the whole interview process. I tend to interview well, but it seems like sometimes interviews matter very little.

Last edited:
-- I'm not talking about short answer based tests (and I think only a couple schools do those, i.e. Hopkins).

What a lot of schools are transitioning to are the computer-based multiple choice testing, and a format and environment that is much like that of the Boards. At some schools you can even take exams on a flex-time basis. They let you take the test any time between Friday afternoon and Monday, on your own computer in a public study space or in a lab.

So yeah. The computerized, flexible testing is important to me because it will be the antidote to the sit-in-this-lecture-hall-and-perform-right-here-right-now-usually-early-in-the-morning anxiety that's always held me back in undergrad. Also, practice makes perfect for standardized exams, and the Boards are all computerized.

-- My problem with the facilities was the lack of natural light, but I guess in Minnesota it can be hard to have lots of windows because of the glare from all the snow.

-- My little old lady interview was very conversational and pleasant, but a couple things she said kind of scared me. When we were on the topic of open-mindedness, she said "I invite you to challenge that assumption too, because that's an age-ist perspective" when I said I doubted my mother would change her racist ways. And then there was the "do try to relax" comment twice. We ended up laughing on both accounts, I apologized about a hundred times and accepted her invitation to question my assumption, and she said she hadn't meant what she said in a critical way at all -- she just likes to challenge people in general. But I guess I'm just a worrier.

She also had it highlighted in my personal statement every time I had written "I" and "my." Which looked like a lot of times from where I was sitting. Now I can't get that out of my head that she probably thinks I'm self-centered.

So in summary, I've seen better and I've seen worse. As far as fit, I'd say its decent, as the patient care RPAP and MPAP programs are right up my alley, and the testing and facilities are things I can deal with.

The only reason I was so nervous at the beginning of the interview was because, despite the couple of flaws I found in the school, I really did want to get in. And at this point my acceptances, waitlists, and rejections are so all over the map that I feel frustratingly powerless in the whole interview process. I tend to interview well, but it seems like sometimes interviews matter very little.

Awwww... My fault for misunderstanding you on the testing. You raise an excellent point.:thumbup:

That does sound like a very odd interview... I hear you about the powerlessness in this whole process. It's far too stochastic for my tastes. I'm sure wherever you end up, hopefully at the U, everything will fall together like it's meant to.

I'd say it was one of my more intense interviews. There was also much that was good about it.

I appear to have been bitten by the wanting-what-you-probably-can't-have bug, though. Does anyone know if the U of M accepts file updates or letters of intent after the interview?

Awwww... My fault for misunderstanding you on the testing. You raise an excellent point.:thumbup:

That does sound like a very odd interview... I hear you about the powerlessness in this whole process. It's far too stochastic for my tastes. I'm sure wherever you end up, hopefully at the U, everything will fall together like it's meant to.

Status
Not open for further replies.