2011-2012 University of Pennsylvania Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone remember if Penn rejects post-interview or is everyone automatically either accepted/waitlisted??

The post interview decisions will be released March 15th. Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected will appear on your status page. The second tier waitlist could might as well be considered a rejection. I have been checking and no one seems to have ever been admitted from that list.

Members don't see this ad.

Aha ok. I had no idea flat out rejected was a possibility. Assumed it was all accepted/waitlist with potential for miracles and mythical triumphs for some of the centaurs on the waitlist.

The post interview decisions will be released March 15th. Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected will appear on your status page. The second tier waitlist could might as well be considered a rejection. I have been checking and no one seems to have ever been admitted from that list.

Any current students know if/when the waitlist statuses will be made online? Earlier posts in this thread said that happens sometime in January - has the process changed this year/will the waitlist not be decided until 3/15?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students know if/when the waitlist statuses will be made online? Earlier posts in this thread said that happens sometime in January - has the process changed this year/will the waitlist not be decided until 3/15?
I think probably most of the admissions decisions have been made. But they won't be made available to us online until March 15th

Why do you think the admissions decisions have already been made?

I think it's unlikely that they would wait until now to make decisions about people who interviewed in the Fall. For example, I interviewed in the middle of October, and I imagine they made their decision about my status in the weeks following my interview.

I think probably most of the admissions decisions have been made. But they won't be made available to us online until March 15th

Do you know that waitlist decisions won't be made until March 15th? Previous posts by current students said that waitlist decisions were released in January, and acceptance/rejection decisions were released in March.

I think it's unlikely that they would wait until now to make decisions about people who interviewed in the Fall. For example, I interviewed in the middle of October, and I imagine they made their decision about my status in the weeks following my interview.

Seems pretty speculative.

I have heard that Penn doesn't make final decisions until after the formal conclusion of its interview season.

They do, however, probably make some sort of judgement on your application not too long after your interview, giving it a numerical score/ranking of some sort.

I admit I am also speculating.

I have heard that Penn doesn't make final decisions until after the formal conclusion of its interview season.

They do, however, probably make some sort of judgement on your application not too long after your interview, giving it a numerical score/ranking of some sort.

The "judgement" (which in fact it is really a decision) on your application is initially made by the interviewers and finalized by the admission committee within weeks. February is the month to finalize the decisions for those interviewed in january (Penn does not interview in february because their "system" does not give them enough time to evaluate these applicants in march). The first two weeks of march are to clean things up (choose who they really want to fight for, have scholarships offers ready, etc) in order to have a decision posted on the 15th.

And I am not really speculating...;) but then again, remember that this is always a fluid process...

So are you saying that if your interviewers gave good feedback during and after the interview (by email) that this would pretty much translate into an acceptance? The entire file (including grades, MCAT, activities) is not reassessed by the entire committee? That is, is this "numerical score" or report the main factor that will determine acceptance and does it solely depend on interview performance? Or do other factors (eg grades, MCAT, activities, etc) carry just as much weight even post-interview? Thanks!!!

The "judgement" (which in fact it is really a decision) on your application is initially made by the interviewers and finalized by the admission committee within weeks. February is the month to finalize the decisions for those interviewed in january (Penn does not interview in february because their "system" does not give them enough time to evaluate these applicants in march). The first two weeks of march are to clean things up (choose who they really want to fight for, have scholarships offers ready, etc) in order to have a decision posted on the 15th.

And I am not really speculating...;) but then again, remember that this is always a fluid process...

So are you saying that if your interviewers gave good feedback during and after the interview (by email) that this would pretty much translate into an acceptance? The entire file (including grades, MCAT, activities) is not reassessed by the entire committee? That is, is this "numerical score" or report the main factor that will determine acceptance and does it solely depend on interview performance? Or do other factors (eg grades, MCAT, activities, etc) carry just as much weight even post-interview? Thanks!!!

Well, now I will start speculating ;)

I have heard a lot of stories about people getting great feedback from an interviewer and then receiving a rejection, so I do not think that - generally - the feedback in very reliable, however, if you got a follow up email..i think that is kind of awesome! (I received very special attention at one particular school, which made me thought i was admitted....and I was!). I think the interview is what breaks or seals the deal. By the time students are invited, they are probably all in pretty equal footing.

Best of luck!!

um...does anyone know how much weight is given between the student and faculty interviewers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah my student interview was also pretty rough.

I've always wondered what happens if the admissions committee meets and the two interviewers have totally opposite reports. Do they just add some scores and average? Or might they give greater weight to the more "knowledgeable" interviewer, which would usually be the one that "went better"? hmmmmspeculation :laugh:

I've always wondered what happens if the admissions committee meets and the two interviewers have totally opposite reports. Do they just add some scores and average? Or might they give greater weight to the more "knowledgeable" interviewer, which would usually be the one that "went better"? hmmmmspeculation :laugh:

Interviewers make comments and attempt to justify their evaluation. Their comments will be important in these kinds of situations. "He was a meanie" will carry less weight than "he told me that he likes eating baby sandwiches."

Interviewers make comments and attempt to justify their evaluation. Their comments will be important in these kinds of situations. "He was a meanie" will carry less weight than "he told me that he likes eating baby sandwiches."

Oops.. guess I shouldn't have told both my interviewers that I had a baby sandwich for breakfast.

sharpie, congrats on your acceptances so far.. I am thinking that you are going to end up at UCSF...am i right? ...

sharpie, congrats on your acceptances so far.. I am thinking that you are going to end up at UCSF...am i right? ...

It's going to depend on the financial situation and a lot of other external things. I loved UCSF when I visited in the fall, but things have gotten murkier since then.. My SO is thinking of veterinary school, which makes Penn all the more of a priority.

Thank you and the others for answering so many questions on this thread.

Oops.. guess I shouldn't have told both my interviewers that I had a baby sandwich for breakfast.

I talked about balut with my student interviewer. Though the balut was not in sandwich form, I pair it with thick pieces of rye bread.

I will now wait patiently for my rejection.

if i interviewed really early in the cycle, is it even worth sending an update to penn if all im including is a couple of new grades (doesnt change GPA) and a couple of honors/leadership positions? i don't have anything huge to update with like a pub.

is my file already decided on? thanks!

Just to up the hilarious level of anxiety in this thread, I thought I'd direct your attention to this blurb on the Penn website: "The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania has concluded the interview program for the 2012 admissions cycle.

All final decisions for interviewed candidates will be released in early March."

Early March!!!!!!!!!! Ruh-roh...

DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS MEANS MARCH 1? I THINK I WILL CALL THE DEAN IF I DO NOT HEAR BACK BY MARCH 1 AT 9AM EST. ARE YOU GUYS GONNA DO THAT? DO YOU THINK IT WILL LOOK BAD IF I DO THAT?!?!?!

Just to up the hilarious level of anxiety in this thread, I thought I'd direct your attention to this blurb on the Penn website: "The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania has concluded the interview program for the 2012 admissions cycle.

All final decisions for interviewed candidates will be released in early March."

Early March!!!!!!!!!! Ruh-roh...

DO YOU GUYS THINK THIS MEANS MARCH 1? I THINK I WILL CALL THE DEAN IF I DO NOT HEAR BACK BY MARCH 1 AT 9AM EST. ARE YOU GUYS GONNA DO THAT? DO YOU THINK IT WILL LOOK BAD IF I DO THAT?!?!?!
March 1st, but what time zone?!!

Okay thanks for that info ALL DECISIONS WILL DEFINITELY BE RELEASED VIA SNAIL MAIL EMAIL AND MESSENGER PIGEON AT 12 AM IN WHATEVER TIME ZONE PHILADELPHIA IS IN :scared::scared::scared::scared::scared::scared:

Haha I think the current MS1s had to hold out until March 14. Probably varies every year.

Also, it is always a good idea to send an update letter or letter of intent if you really have something to say! Schools love to be loved on and I know that those letters get read!

Why do you y'all think that early March has to be March 1?

I'd say March 12 (second Monday in the month. Last year it came out March 14, the second Monday in the month).

Time will tell!

Omg i just got the diversity e-mail do you think this means i got in are they telling us early i know it says "to all interviewed applicants" but maybe maybe maybe

Omg i just got the diversity e-mail do you think this means i got in are they telling us early i know it says "to all interviewed applicants" but maybe maybe maybe

Nah.. but yay for diversity! :laugh:

Omg I think I'll call the admissions office and ask to make doubly sure, maybe I can also ask for scholarship money while I'm at it!!!!!!¡¡¡¡¡

you should make a penn med c/o 2016 bookface group! ;-)

I know they mentioned this on the interview day, but I seem to have forgot ...

How many MD (not including MD/PhDs) spots are in each class at Penn?

I don't remember exactly from interview day either, but their website says that 16% of the 166 matriculating students in 2011 were MD/PhD. I think Penn has the largest number of MD/PhD spots of any medical school.

Anyway, that means 27 MD/PhDs or roughly 139 MDs.

Good luck! :)
I know they mentioned this on the interview day, but I seem to have forgot ...

How many MD (not including MD/PhDs) spots are in each class at Penn?

I don't remember exactly from interview day either, but their website says that 16% of the 166 matriculating students in 2011 were MD/PhD. I think Penn has the largest number of MD/PhD spots of any medical school.

Anyway, that means 27 MD/PhDs or roughly 139 MDs.

Good luck! :)

Penn and WashU have the largest MD/PhD programs in the country, at about 25 students per class.

hello all, i've been following this thread for a few days now and i thought i should let yall know that the admissions committee just announced that decisions will be made "on or around march 12th." (i have a feeling we will be punctual this year.)

as someone on the admissions committee, i can answer a few questions regarding the process. one question that seems to pop up all the time is whether decisions are made on a rolling basis and the answer is no; the selection process only begins when all interviews are completed. i would venture a guess that by now almost all decisions have already been made because this year's process went very smoothly thanks to the new system we are using.

regarding student vs. faculty interviewers: it has become apparent over the years that student interviewers are actually a lot tougher in reviewing people than faculty members. officially, their opinions are weighed just as heavily as the faculty. but i can tell you from experience that the committee tends to rely on the student evaluations a little bit more because they are usually more thorough than the faculty's. faculty members typically write one-liners, while students often write paragraphs.

if someone is given two wildly different scores by both their interviewers, the application is looked at more closely. usually it is simply a difference in standard (someone's 7/10 is some else's 9/10) and a decision gets made on who was being more reasonable, perhaps neither were, and a new opinion is thrown into the pot.

i hope i shed some light on the process, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, i can't say i'll be around often to check this thread again though i'll try.

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful for all of us hopefuls

hello all, i've been following this thread for a few days now and i thought i should let yall know that the admissions committee just announced that decisions will be made "on or around march 12th." (i have a feeling we will be punctual this year.)

as someone on the admissions committee, i can answer a few questions regarding the process. one question that seems to pop up all the time is whether decisions are made on a rolling basis and the answer is no; the selection process only begins when all interviews are completed. i would venture a guess that by now almost all decisions have already been made because this year's process went very smoothly thanks to the new system we are using.

regarding student vs. faculty interviewers: it has become apparent over the years that student interviewers are actually a lot tougher in reviewing people than faculty members. officially, their opinions are weighed just as heavily as the faculty. but i can tell you from experience that the committee tends to rely on the student evaluations a little bit more because they are usually more thorough than the faculty's. faculty members typically write one-liners, while students often write paragraphs.

if someone is given two wildly different scores by both their interviewers, the application is looked at more closely. usually it is simply a difference in standard (someone's 7/10 is some else's 9/10) and a decision gets made on who was being more reasonable, perhaps neither were, and a new opinion is thrown into the pot.

i hope i shed some light on the process, if you have any more questions, feel free to PM me, i can't say i'll be around often to check this thread again though i'll try.

Thank you for the information. I guess we as applicants usually hope/assume that the evaluation process will be fair and thorough, so it's nice to have some confirmation from the inside. Good luck guys! :laugh:

Great, this is exciting! Last stretch, at last.

Last edited:
Anyone know when decisions go out? Is it definitely March 15?

Also, how do they go out - are they posted online?

No, March 12. See past posts. I think there will be status update and email.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I want this soooo badly ahhhh

Anyone know when decisions go out? Is it definitely March 15?

Also, how do they go out - are they posted online?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.