2012-2013 Albany Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not trying to nitpick but that doesnt really explain why they are interviewing so many more applicants. Is it because MMI is more efficient? Thanks

This is just my take, so here goes:

AMC gets about 10,000 applicants per year.

With 600 interviews, that means they only get to select about 6-7% of the pool. On paper, there probably are many more people than 600 who look good. They want to evaluate as many people as possible who look good on paper and see if they appear to be good candidates in-person.

That's just my guess, and it's from the point of view of the college. I know it doesn't help much if you have an II and you're trying to evaluate whether or not you should go. If it were me and it was my only invite so far, I would go. If I was lucky enough to have several invites already, then the decision would be a little more difficult. It's a good school though, so come if you can.

Good luck, BTW. Interviews start next Monday. First time with MMI, so be patient.
 
Getting excited to see this school! I'll be there Monday 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Anyone know the best way to give the admissions committee an update on activities? In person at interview? Email?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You don't have 1/10 chance at an acceptance. It's more like 3/10. Remember, they used to accept around 300/600, the second number is just upped to 1100 now.

I admit though that it was different last year because when they only used to interview 600, you could feel pretty good about your chances of getting in, especially if you felt that you did really well at your interview (like I did).
 
Last edited:
MSAR is the definitive source for this kind of information, sjagan. Since SDN does not allow posting of MSAR statistics (since it's a paid service)---I can't quote an exact number. Though I can say yes, they receive between 8000-10000 secondaries per year
 
Yay! Interview invite! 🙂 I haven't had one in two months, but I think I'll be skipping it. Hope someone here gets it. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II this morning. 34Q/3.5 OOS

What if I can't make the dates listed? Are they flexible with scheduling the dates? To be honest, traveling this season, and with such short notice, is just too expensive and I can't afford it.
 
II this morning. 34Q/3.5 OOS

What if I can't make the dates listed? Are they flexible with scheduling the dates? To be honest, traveling this season, and with such short notice, is just too expensive and I can't afford it.

Just tell them that I'll take it 🙂
 
II this morning. 34Q/3.5 OOS

What if I can't make the dates listed? Are they flexible with scheduling the dates? To be honest, traveling this season, and with such short notice, is just too expensive and I can't afford it.

Just call up admissions, and you can schedule a date with them over the phone while you tell them your available times.
 
Just call up admissions, and you can schedule a date with them over the phone while you tell them your available times.

Just wanted to let you know the MMI, and the entire day was amazing! Thank you to everyone for being so great 🙂
 
Yay! Interview invite! 🙂 I haven't had one in two months, but I think I'll be skipping it. Hope someone here gets it. 🙂

I'm thinking the same thing. I just can't afford it and already have an acceptance, so hope one of you guys gets my interview. good luck!
 
Interview Invite this morning. Will be withdrawing application though.Hope it goes to one of you!

3.4 cgpa, 3.5 sgpa, 4.0 SMP gpa, 35S
 
Anyone interviewing on January 3rd interested in splitting a room? PM me if so!

Relevant information: I'm a girl.
 
when were you all complete. just want to know are they sending invitees based on completion date or just random
 
MMIs are gearing up now - they're recruiting student interviewers from MS2-MS4s.

First interview dates are in mid-November. We normally interview 600 students, but this year we're aiming to interview 900-1100 students. If previous years are still applicable, we're accepting around 110 people through regular admissions.

Just FYI, since a lot of applicants are worried about the lack of info so far. Don't worry, we're coming for ya. 😉

I'm sorry but what is your source on this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am curious how specifically he/she knows this and who informed him/her. I am aware he/she is a student.

Well, I did say they were recruiting "student interviewers from MS2-MS4s."

Admissions themselves gave us an overview on the new interview system and their goals for this season.
 
I'm sorry but what is your source on this?

This person is correct, except that (s)he meant to say that 110 students are enrolled via traditional admissions process, rather than accepted. I don't know the figure, but they probably accept about twice as many students as there are that ultimately choose to enroll here.

Also a student here. Got the same email.
 
Anyone interviewing on/around Dec. 12 who want to coordinate travel (i.e. split a cab if needed), hotel, etc.? Girl here. Coming from LA.
 
Application at AMC finally has a "YES" for being processed 🙂 Any idea on the typical wait time for this?
 
Anyone interviewing on/around Dec. 12 who want to coordinate travel (i.e. split a cab if needed), hotel, etc.? Girl here. Coming from LA.

If you stay at the hilton garden inn (really the most convenient hotel that most people stayed at on my interview day) call in advance and book a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and back!
 
If you stay at the hilton garden inn (really the most convenient hotel that most people stayed at on my interview day) call in advance and book a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and back!

Oh, awesome! I'll definitely do that, I looked around a bit and it seems hilton garden inn is the best deal =) It's not the cheapest flat-out, but the savings on time and transportation balance things out xD
 
Hey everyone! Just got my II yesterday. Pretty excited about this whole thing. I went with the 11th, anyone else? Hope to see all you guys there and good luck to everyone!

z
 
Hey everyone! Just got my II yesterday. Pretty excited about this whole thing. I went with the 11th, anyone else? Hope to see all you guys there and good luck to everyone!

z

Did you get an email?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using SDN Mobile
 
yea, it was something like "AMC Interview HTML" kinda a odd subject, but the message was clear
good luck!

z
 
Declined to schedule my interview and withdrew my application. Best of luck to those applying!
 
I interviewed here last week and was blown away. I considered not attending the interview and am so glad I made the trip to albany. They didn't give us a timetable for a turn around on a decision, but I am hoping for the best.
 
I interviewed here last week and was blown away. I considered not attending the interview and am so glad I made the trip to albany. They didn't give us a timetable for a turn around on a decision, but I am hoping for the best.

+1 it exceeded my expectations! were you there 11/19 too?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just got my II. I'll be taking it. Hopefully the MMI thing goes well for me. I'm going to schedule for January, hopefully. My secondary was submitted first half of August. Primary was submitted last week of June.
 
I interviewed here last week and was blown away. I considered not attending the interview and am so glad I made the trip to albany. They didn't give us a timetable for a turn around on a decision, but I am hoping for the best.

I completely agree! I interviewed this week and the school, faculty, and students seem awesome! It was also my first MMI and I was dreading it but I actually enjoyed it. Also from their FAQ:

When will the committee meet to vote on me?
Generally, interviewed applicants are voted upon within two to four weeks.
 
Also from their FAQ:

When will the committee meet to vote on me?
Generally, interviewed applicants are voted upon within two to four weeks.

Actually that section refers to their old interview style. Someone asked on my interview day and they said although they normally vote in 2-4 weeks since this is their first time with mmi they have no idea and can't give a general timeline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Actually that section refers to their old interview style. Someone asked on my interview day and they said although they normally vote in 2-4 weeks since this is their first time with mmi they have no idea and can't give a general timeline.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.