2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you! That was a very helpful post. :)

One more question and I'm done, I promise (for now)! :oops: This was probably asked earlier in the thread and I apologize if it was. What do you think is/are the reason(s) behind Baylor's high STEP I performance? This won't really factor into my decision much (I'll still have to study hard either way). I was just curious.

having a year of clinical rotations before taking step1 (lots of clinical exposure, practice taking shelf exams, thousands of practice questions under your belt, studying of a variety of resources for each shelf/rotation), being able to have dedicated time off to study solely for step1 (i took off 2 months but studied for 6 or so weeks), and already going through the step1 review book (firstaid) before you actually take the real test (you take a test called "EBSE" or "End Of Basic Sciences" that covers the same material, is made by the NBME (like Step1), and you use the same main study resource.

i'm grateful for the curriculum :)

Members don't see this ad.

Has Baylor already done their big wave of March acceptances? I know two people posted that they were accepted last week...was that it? Other schools seem to have many more accepted students on SDN...
:confused:

I hope not because I would really love to hear back from them soon! I think they will start filling more spots soon in the coming weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I went and looked up every SDN BCM thread I could find ('09,'10,'11,'12) in search for this "wave" of acceptances....and I came out really disappointed. :(

Maybe I missed it, but after the "dead" month of February, acceptances posted on SDN only seemed to be few and very far apart. Actually, if you go look at those threads around this time (mid-March) you'll see lots of frustrated applicants and miscommunication about the waitlist.

Take it how you will; I'm holding hope for BCM, but I'll be considering my other options more seriously from now on. We'll see how it goes :)

I just kinda landed on a random page number for that 2011 thread, and by March 29 there were still some acceptances left. They stopped interviewing around the same time as we, and I *think* I remember their waitlist coming around late April.

Last week was match week too, so I'm guessing that they are just recently coming out of an extreme busy cycle. Seeing as I sent a letter of interest to them last week and got no response (when earlier updates got me a same-day response), I'm willing to bet that they're either swamped or sick of my crap :D. Making phone calls (at least from what I've read) seems to be an activity that the deans wedge in among whatever other duties they have. So who really knows? The waitlist generally doesn't come until later in April, so it's worthwhile to assume that they're plugging along slowly through their acceptance process and therefore we don't hear the big wave of acceptances (plus you have to assume that us SDN'ers are too small a group to be very representative).

Oh never mind, admissions did let me know just today that they forwarded my letter. So there, some news from the admissions office! You're welcome. :laugh:

I sent a LOI weeks ago & did not get a response. I assumed they just place it in your file & don't reply. Should I resend it??

I sent a LOI weeks ago & did not get a response. I assumed they just place it in your file & don't reply. Should I resend it??

Don't resend it quite yet, but you should call admissions and verify that it was received. I sent one March 4 and called this morning. They had not put it in my file, though when they went back through their e-mails from that date, they had received it--just overlooked it or missed it I guess. The woman I spoke to on the phone (Wanda) assured me she would add it to my file today.

Same here. I plan on giving them a call sometime soon. I would hate for it to get lost in the mix.

I sent my LOI on the 4th and never got an email in response. I called the admissions office and Wanda couldn't find it and I had to resend it to her personal email last week. So if you haven't heard back the best option is to call and make sure they receive it. In last year's thread after 2 people posted acceptances around mid March the next time anyone posted anything was around early April. Then after that it was a bunch of waitlists. :(

I sent my LOI on the 4th and never got an email in response. I called the admissions office and Wanda couldn't find it and I had to resend it to her personal email last week. So if you haven't heard back the best option is to call and make sure they receive it. In last year's thread after 2 people posted acceptances around mid March the next time anyone posted anything was around early April. Then after that it was a bunch of waitlists. :(

I also called the admissions office. My updates & LOI were there, although some of the dates were incorrect. I also asked whether or not acceptances were still being given out, and the answer was yes, until a waitlist is formulated we can still expect some acceptances, but I am with you all. At this point, I'm going to prepare myself for my second option. Good luck to all of us!

So in terms of the LOI, would it be better to send it as a .doc file attached to an email or use the email itself as the LOI?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's a steady stream of people joining the BCM '17 facebook group. It could either be random people, older students, or recently accepted applicants!

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

There's a steady stream of people joining the BCM '17 facebook group. It could either be random people, older students, or recently accepted applicants!

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

There seems to be a direct correlation between number of people joining the group and my level of anxiety!

Here's to hoping for good news soon!

This may have been posted elsewhere, but does baylor only require the fafsa for applying for financial aid here?

This may have been posted elsewhere, but does baylor only require the fafsa for applying for financial aid here?

They require the FAFSA as well as their own school-specific financial aid application.

They require the FAFSA as well as their own school-specific financial aid application.

I'm guessing you only receive the school-specific form once you are accepted? If not, can you direct me to where I can find it?

Any acceptances recently? Are there still spots left? What's going on here, lol, its end of March T_T.

Any acceptances recently? Are there still spots left? What's going on here, lol, its end of March T_T.

+1 for sure... But I do think we still have a little bit of time in April for acceptances to go out before the wait list is created (April 20ish for last year iirc). Strange that virtually no one on SDN has reported anything though.

+1 for sure... But I do think we still have a little bit of time in April for acceptances to go out before the wait list is created (April 20ish for last year iirc). Strange that virtually no one on SDN has reported anything though.

Isn't April 20th the multiple acceptence deadline for Texas? I thout it was, but Im not a TX resident!

Did the "big" wave of acceptances ever occur after interview season ended? It seemed like a lot of people heard that would happen.

considering applying this year for 2014 admit
stats 3.87 sci gpa mcat 38
clinical res, basic res and at least 400 hours volunteering
texas resident
please advise on chances for bcm

You have a solid shot at getting in (but you already knew that!), good luck next cycle

If anyone has considered military medicine and wants more info, let me know. I am in the Navy's HSCP program and it pays pretty well, full health benefits for you and your family, etc. Send me a private message if you want more info.

^judging from last years thread it's more than likely next week then a week later the waitlist email comes out.

Question out of curiosity: What criteria is used to determine AOA? Is it mainly pre-clinical grades or is clinical performance a factor?

considering applying this year for 2014 admit
stats 3.87 sci gpa mcat 38
clinical res, basic res and at least 400 hours volunteering
texas resident
please advise on chances for bcm

I'm considering applying in a few years. What's the lowest sGPA you would say would still be acceptable for BCM? I'm just curious lol

The criteria used at all other schools. You have to be top 25% in preclinical grades to even be considered. After that I think they use Ecs to select further from that group.

Does anyone have any experience with deferment requests at Baylor? Are they friendly toward it or is it discouraged?

Oh Baylor, the waiting game is so gut-wrenching! Here's to hoping to some news (hopefully good news!) soon!

Anyone know what it is looking like right now for when more decisions could come out??

Well it's April I can't imagine there are that many spots left...

I called admissions. I asked if the wait list was coming out soon and she said, "oh no, more acceptances will come out until the end of April..." She couldn't say how many but it was a little reassuring.. Kinda.

Last edited:
I called admissions. I asked if the wait list was coming out soon and she said, "oh no, more acceptances will come out until the end of April..." She couldn't say how many but it was a little reassuring.. Kinda.

thanks for calling!

With it being this late in the application cycle I'm starting to lose hope that an acceptance is coming from Baylor. However, I absolutely loved Baylor when I was there and will definitely re-apply. So, I'm looking for advice from current students, recently accepted students, and anyone else for what I can do to improve my application this time around. These are my stats:

35 MCAT
3.9 cGPA
400+ hours of clinical experience
100+ hours of physician shadowing
Tons of volunteer hours
1 year of research experience

I am out of state, but I have seen several people on this forum who have already been accepted with equivalent or lower stats than mine. I'm hoping to find out what they did differently that I can do this coming year! Thanks so much for your help!

With it being this late in the application cycle I'm starting to lose hope that an acceptance is coming from Baylor. However, I absolutely loved Baylor when I was there and will definitely re-apply. So, I'm looking for advice from current students, recently accepted students, and anyone else for what I can do to improve my application this time around. These are my stats:

35 MCAT
3.9 cGPA
400+ hours of clinical experience
100+ hours of physician shadowing
Tons of volunteer hours
1 year of research experience

I am out of state, but I have seen several people on this forum who have already been accepted with equivalent or lower stats than mine. I'm hoping to find out what they did differently that I can do this coming year! Thanks so much for your help!

I have basically the same résumé as you without the 400 hours of clinical experience and I haven't heard anything since my october interview. OOS

Status
Not open for further replies.