2012-2013 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the food at the second look good???:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Is the food at the second look good???:confused:

It's pretty good, yeah. Last year, it was local BBQ from Goode Company and Tex-Mex from Pappasito's for the two dinners. There was breakfast and lunch stuff during the day, too. I think that stuff was from the French Corner, which is pretty good. I don't know what the food will be this year, but they certainly didn't starve us last year.

I just got put on the wait list as well. OOS. Weird that they sent some last night and some right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the waitlist email a few minutes ago. Does anyone know if all interviewees get waitlisted? Or if it's only a certain percentage?

Last edited:
Hmm. Last year's thread mentioned that the bottom third would be rejected. Hopefully that's not the case cause I haven't gotten a waitlist email! This could be either really good...or really bad. :(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Anyone know the Tentative chance of getting off waitlist?

I'm wondering if the time of the email kind of gives away your place on the waitlist. If so, this has become much more depressing.....

I'm wondering if the time of the email kind of gives away your place on the waitlist. If so, this has become much more depressing.....

I really doubt it I'm more leaning to it being alphabetical than showing any real rank. It really is strange that they decided to send them out so far apart though since they didn't do that last year.

I just received the email too.

Actually two of my friends with the same first letter of their last name received an email Saturday. They're early in the alphabet and my last name is later so that could be a theory. I interviewed same time as one of them.

But of course if your last name starts with an A, and you just received the waitlist email then I'm doomed... :(

Sent from my SGH-T989 using SDN Mobile

Let's go with that theory, shortguy. :)

My last name comes later in the alphabet, too, and I received the waitlist email earlier this afternoon.

Members don't see this ad :)
"H" got me in yesterday evening. I doubt they are putting it in by rank order on the list. They could just as easily have groups of us apportioned to individual mailing lists, some of which go earlier/later than others.

Got my waitlist e-mail at 4:17pm PST. "S" last name here.

6:26pm waitlist email, I wonder when/if rejection emails will go out?

Last name F and got it last night so looking like its alphabetical. I wonder if it's true that they reject bottom 1/3 of interviewed applicants.

Just got the e-mail. Last name 'V'. It's my dream to go to Baylor. I will keep hoping for it for sure.

Last name "T", got the wait-list e-mail at 6:49 pm today.

Last name Z, just got the waitlist email. (7:16pm central)

Also just got the waitlist email, last name X.

Any rejections or are you automatically put on a waitlist if you don't get accepted to Baylor but at least Interview ?

It's pretty good, yeah. Last year, it was local BBQ from Goode Company and Tex-Mex from Pappasito's for the two dinners. There was breakfast and lunch stuff during the day, too. I think that stuff was from the French Corner, which is pretty good. I don't know what the food will be this year, but they certainly didn't starve us last year.

Yep, it's the same as last year. We figure that if you're in Houston (especially from out-of-state), you *have* to sample BBQ and Tex-Mex. :)

How hard is it to get residency in Texas? If I choose to go to Baylor then would I be able to get it after the first year or would I be pretty much paying nonresident tuition the whole time?

How formal should we dress tomorrow (if we're attending the second look visit)? The other ones I've been to have been mostly casual, but I noticed we're going on rounds in the morning.

How formal should we dress tomorrow (if we're attending the second look visit)? The other ones I've been to have been mostly casual, but I noticed we're going on rounds in the morning.

"Business casual" is the term that's tossed around by the deans. No need to wear a tie or fancy dress... just be professional. You can always bring something more comfortable to change into for the afternoon activities.

Above all else, bring comfortable shoes! The Texas Medical Center is huge. See you tomorrow! :)

I wish I could go to Second Look. Still having trouble deciding between Baylor and my state school :(

I wish I could go to Second Look. Still having trouble deciding between Baylor and my state school :(

Second Look was amazing! You should have come. Made many friends and everyone was genuinely nice. :)

Second Look was amazing! You should have come. Made many friends and everyone was genuinely nice. :)

Dang, it sounds like I missed out on a good time :(

Which state school?

Oklahoma. I guess I'm just not sure if I'm ready to leave home (or being a short drive away from home) and how beneficial going to Baylor would actually be. I've going back and forth daily. I wish I would just make up my mind already!:mad:

Not much movement since the waitlist email... :/

Send me some love Baylor!

I can't check my application status anymore. Everyone else waitlisted in the same boat? I figure they probably have reset everything for the new applicants.

anyone gotten an II at BCM with lower than the average stats for the school?

Got one in February with 3.67c/3.55s. First mcat was a 28, second a 33, with an 8 in VR. I'm also OOS. But I'm almost certain I only got an invite because of the letter of interest I submitted, cause most others on this thread have stats much higher than mine..

anyone gotten an II at BCM with lower than the average stats for the school?

Got one in February with 3.67c/3.55s. First mcat was a 28, second a 33, with an 8 in VR. I'm also OOS. But I'm almost certain I only got an invite because of the letter of interest I submitted, cause most others on this thread have stats much higher than mine..

Let's remember what an average is, guys.... Plenty of people get invites with lower than average. I'm one of them, too, and I didn't send a LOI.

Let's remember what an average is, guys.... Plenty of people get invites with lower than average. I'm one of them, too, and I didn't send a LOI.

Haha, this is true--sorry. I just mentioned my numbers because I expected interviewee stats for OOS to be much higher than mine, which is why I also mentioned my LOI. But if you're also OOS, then I guess they interview more OOS with lower stats than I originally thought.

I remember reading about someone from last year who got in OOS with a very similar mcat and GPA, she might not even have had research. It was in like mid-June, but a win is a win right?

I remember reading about someone from last year who got in OOS with a very similar mcat and GPA, she might not even have had research. It was in like mid-June, but a win is a win right?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I am iterating my earlier post (slight update edits) as encouragement for the BCM OOser's...keep the faith for BCM!

Our daughter is an M1 at BCM. She was OOS...excellent credentials otherwise (Summa from a top school and many awards for accomplishments), although no research.

She LOVES it @ BCM. She got accepted off the WL in mid-May (13th?). About 25% of each class will be accepted from OOS, and there is a drop dead date in early May for in-state acceptances, so OOS acceptances perhaps then become more likely.

BCM proved to be a SUPER net value, WAY less expensive net than our in-state public school, especially after buying R.E. to establish Tx. residency so that she will pay Texas resident tuition for years 2-4. (Odd that this should matter since BCM is a private school).

BCM has perhaps the highest average Step 1 scores (average 244 for 2012 class) among all schools, affirming the all-in value.

Houston is very livable if you can accept the humid heat. Hey, that's what A/C is for!

We could not be more pleased all things considered. Keep the faith! :luck:

Haha, this is true--sorry. I just mentioned my numbers because I expected interviewee stats for OOS to be much higher than mine, which is why I also mentioned my LOI. But if you're also OOS, then I guess they interview more OOS with lower stats than I originally thought.

thanks lol.
my cGPA is 3.5/sGPA is 3.35
MCAT should be around a 35
SMP GPA is a 3.9 though.

and i really want to attend BCM :(

+1

There was a problem retrieving your record.
Possible reasons:
You may not have used your AAMC ID for the supplemental application. This should have been the same AAMC ID assigned to you on the AMCAS web application.
We may not have received your electronic record from AMCAS.

Hey everyone,

I received a call from Baylor at about 7:00pm and was accepted off the wait list. I wish you all the best of luck and hope to meet you guys this coming July.

Hey everyone,

I received a call from Baylor at about 7:00pm and was accepted off the wait list. I wish you all the best of luck and hope to meet you guys this coming July.

Congrats! Are you instate or oos?

Hey everyone,

Congrats, that's awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.