2012-2013 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternate here as well. However, when I asked last week, Mr. Essman said that "there will be ample time to complete your financial aid application should you be accepted". Not sure what that means...

Does that mean if we get in off the alt list, we have make a decision without a financial aid offer, and then complete the financial aid app after we decide we want to attend? sounds kinda risky...

Members don't see this ad.

Does that mean if we get in off the alt list, we have make a decision without a financial aid offer, and then complete the financial aid app after we decide we want to attend? sounds kinda risky...

I doubt it- I think it means if you are accepted from the alternate list, they will get you a financial offer quick.

I wonder how the financial aid package went down for the student who apparently got accepted the day before classes started...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew. To those still waiting: Good luck! To those who are matriculating: Have a great four years! Maybe I'll see you during residency.

Hey Applicants,

Congratulations to all those accepted! I was in your position just last year, so I remember clearly the wide range of emotions we all go through at this point. Case is a great school and love it even more now that I'm here. For those with options and are on the fence, I highly suggest that you attend Second-Look Weekend on April 12th and 13th. It is really a blast!

I've been fortunate enough to go to several "Second Looks," and I can undoubtedly say that Case rolls out the red carpet for its prospectives. You will get put up in a 5-Star hotel, get wined and dined at the homes of Case Med alumnus, and get to meet plenty of faculty, current students and your future peers. You will quickly realize that everyone associated with our medical school treats each other like family. As Dr. Mehta likes to say, "She doesn't make mistakes." Us student interviewers and the admissions office found something special about each and everyone of you. Therefore, we hope to prove to all of you that you belong here with us.

I'll check this thread every few days until Second-Look. Ask me anything or send me a private messages if you wish.

Best,

fizzjazz

PS I'll be at Second-Look, so when you see me, please come and say "Hi!"

I second my friend, fizzjazz.

I am a first-year at Case too and I love it. I haven't been on SDN in a while, and was reading through some of my old posts from when I was a pre-med. I can't believe I actually said that "Im not totally sold on Case's limited number of required lecture hours and infrequency of exams..."

Haha, YIKES. I wanted to take more tests and spend more time in lecture? What state was my mind in? Now that I've been in school for almost a year, I can say that the infrequency of exams and limited lecture hours are one of my favorite things about Case.

Anyways, I'd be more than happy to throw my hat in the ring with fizzjazz and open myself up to any questions you might have. Feel free to PM me too... I'll check back over the next few days.

Also... I hope ya'll are coming out to second lock weekend. It is going to be an incredibly fun time. I just was practicing with the band for 4 hours today, so I hope we have a good audience!

I am a first-year at Case too and I love it. I haven't been on SDN in a while, and was reading through some of my old posts from when I was a pre-med. I can't believe I actually said that "Im not totally sold on Case's limited number of required lecture hours and infrequency of exams..."

Haha, YIKES. I wanted to take more tests and spend more time in lecture? What state was my mind in? Now that I've been in school for almost a year, I can say that the infrequency of exams and limited lecture hours are one of my favorite things about Case.
Some people need the stress of an exam looming over them to motivate them to study, and if so, then Case (and especially CCLCM) may not be the best learning environment for them. But I'm with you. For me, the lack of exams at CCLCM and the non-lecture based curriculum were bonuses. They were not the main reasons why I picked the school, but not having that stress still made the experience more pleasant than it would have been if I had gone to a school with frequent tests and lectures.

Got my financial aid award this morning!! :D

Did it come via email? Or just appear on the app site? Did you get a financial aid notification with your acceptance offer?

Did it come via email? Or just appear on the app site? Did you get a financial aid notification with your acceptance offer?

It came via email this morning. I haven't checked the app site, but the letter was dated April 5 so maybe it was up there over the weekend. I had all of my stuff in by the first week of March, if you're trying to gauge the turnaround time. I was offered my acceptance back in October, so no I didn't get my aid notification with my offer.

Was very pleased with my award!

I will be withdrawing from Case, but I haven't been able to figure out from iapply how to withdraw...I feel stupid asking this but does anyone know how to withdraw from Case?

I also received my award letter today via email (accepted in November and financial aid documents submitted early March).

A few days ago I checked the financial aid portal and there was information posted, such as family contribution and loans. However, it was apparently not accurate as the actual award letter had different numbers. Just FYI to anyone who checked the website before receiving an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
It came via email this morning. I haven't checked the app site, but the letter was dated April 5 so maybe it was up there over the weekend. I had all of my stuff in by the first week of March, if you're trying to gauge the turnaround time. I was offered my acceptance back in October, so no I didn't get my aid notification with my offer.

Was very pleased with my award!

I was also accepted in october, submitted all my financial aid stuff by february 21st and still no word!

Just got my financial aid award...withdrawing from UP. can't afford to go here :( good luck everyone waiting!

I got the call from Dean Franco today a little before 1, and I thought my head was going to explode. I'm hoping some more of you guys will get the call and join me at CCLCM next year!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

I got the call from Dean Franco today a little before 1, and I thought my head was going to explode. I'm hoping some more of you guys will get the call and join me at CCLCM next year!!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Congrats! Also, were you initially placed on the high hold list?

Thanks guys!! And it was 1 PM PST.

I interviewed in mid-December and was placed on the high hold list at the beginning of February.

Ahh.. Does anyone know how many spots are left for CC? Thanks!

Thanks guys!! And it was 1 PM PST.

I interviewed in mid-December and was placed on the high hold list at the beginning of February.

I guess they are taking high hold applicants first, which makes sense. It doesn't sound too promising for us who are on the hold list, because I can't imagine many accepted or high hold applicants turning down this incredible opportunity!

I guess they are taking high hold applicants first, which makes sense. It doesn't sound too promising for us who are on the hold list, because I can't imagine many accepted or high hold applicants turning down this incredible opportunity!

Also, seeing as how probably 20 people posted here on this forum that they are on the high-hold list, the actual high-hold list might be ~50 people.

have you tried contacting them?

Has anyone who applied for merit scholarships heard back?

You specifically applied for merit scholarships? I thought everyone was considered automatically and that people got merit information upon acceptance???!!!

You specifically applied for merit scholarships? I thought everyone was considered automatically and that people got merit information upon acceptance???!!!

I did not get an offer with my acceptance, but I know from past years threads that if you did get that letter with your acceptance you still had to apply for it somehow.

Has anyone on the regular Hold list heard anything?

I called the admissions office last Friday. They said that it has been extremely slow, and that there has not been any movement on the hold list. They are still waiting to hear back from accepted students as well.

I did not get an offer with my acceptance, but I know from past years threads that if you did get that letter with your acceptance you still had to apply for it somehow.

Where do people apply for merit scholarships in that case?

Status
Not open for further replies.