2012-2013 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, my comment about the call was in reference to CCLCM Admissions Office.

Ahh thank you, I see. I wonder if the UP waitlist has budged any? I know that my home state school waitlist has only moved one person so far, and people seem to be complaining about how slow turn-overs are in general. Looking forward to that May 15th date, fingers crossed that some options shake out.

Ahh thank you, I see. I wonder if the UP waitlist has budged any? I know that my home state school waitlist has only moved one person so far, and people seem to be complaining about how slow turn-overs are in general. Looking forward to that May 15th date, fingers crossed that some options shake out.

Last year a large number of acceptances were offered 10 days after the deadline date, May 1st. I'm expecting the same this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent! What is the may 1st deadline?

AAMC traffic rules state that by May 15, applicants can only hold one school acceptance. Case starts in July, so they ask accepted students to make that decision two weeks earlier by May 1.

AAMC traffic rules state that by May 15, applicants can only hold one school acceptance. Case starts in July, so they ask accepted students to make that decision two weeks earlier by May 1.

Yep. Case could've forced the decision on April 15th since they start in early July, but they're nice about it. That would've made things easier on me though since I'm on the waitlist :(

Do you guys know what's the case for CCLCM tho? Is there a deadline after April 15th?

Just withdrew my acceptance from the UP. Best of luck to all of you!

I just withdrew my acceptance from the University Track!!! GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE! I loved case western, it's an amazing school!!!

I just got an email back from Christian about a question I had, and thought the information might be useful to others as well: the May 1 deadline is for other acceptances you're holding on to, but you can remain on other waitlists up until July 10 when orientation starts.

I'm sitting on the High Hold list at CCLCM, and a tiny part of me is still hoping the stars align in my favor. At this point, however, I'm operating under the assumption I'll be at CWRU on July 10. Still excited either way!!!

I just got an email back from Christian about a question I had, and thought the information might be useful to others as well: the May 1 deadline is for other acceptances you're holding on to, but you can remain on other waitlists up until July 10 when orientation starts.

I'm sitting on the High Hold list at CCLCM, and a tiny part of me is still hoping the stars align in my favor. At this point, however, I'm operating under the assumption I'll be at CWRU on July 10. Still excited either way!!!

so this info is in regards to CCLCM? we can hear back from them until July 10?? :scared:

It was really difficult to say no to Case, but I withdrew my acceptance from UP today. Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does CWRU ban medical students from working?

so this info is in regards to CCLCM? we can hear back from them until July 10?? :scared:

The info was in regards to UP. I interviewed at both programs, accepted at UP, still sitting on a waitlist at CCLCM.

I honestly have no idea if CCLCM has a final date to lock in the class before July 10. Sure, there's a decision deadline just like UP and every other med school, and you have to release all acceptances except one by that date. But theoretically, someone could withdraw from their CCLCM spot up until July 10 (family reasons, illness, or getting off of a waitlist at their top choice), and presumably someone would get called off the high hold or hold list. Realistically though, there's probably very little chance of that happening.

I withdrew my spot from the university track. Very very hard to do, and heartbreaking.

Thank you! Like I said it was a heart-wrenching decision, Case is a fantastic school. All the best to you as well!

It is/was a hard choice. Being from Arizona only getting into OSU and Case was weird. I made my choice and was happy about, but yeah, very hard choice and it depends on who you are and what you look for.

I withdrew from Case yesterday. Apparently my post earlier tickled the unseen strings of the universe in just the right way, because I got a call from Dr. Franco offering me a spot at CCLCM! :D I hope one of you gets my spot at Case!

I withdrew from Case yesterday. Apparently my post earlier tickled the unseen strings of the universe in just the right way, because I got a call from Dr. Franco offering me a spot at CCLCM! :D I hope one of you gets my spot at Case!

Congrats and welcome to Cleveland.

Reactions: 1 user

congrats!!!!!!! :)

I wonder if there are more spots... I'm assuming you were on high hold?

is there a difference between hold list and alternate list?

I think the 'hold' bit is for CCLCM and the 'alternate list' is for UP.

UP had a hold list, which is basically a waitlist for the waitlist. I think they reject some people from the hold list, but the majority move on to the alternate list/ wait list.

Heres to hoping the UP list budges. I am eyeing that May 10 date because they accepted a bunch of people off the waitlist on that day at least the last two years.

Have ppl been getting rejected from UP post-interview? Or do they just put ppl on hold status indefinitely?

withdrew my UP acceptance last week. good luck to all of you still waiting!

Since the waitlist isn't ranked, would they be deciding on a mass of waitlist acceptances on may 10?

Since the waitlist isn't ranked, would they be deciding on a mass of waitlist acceptances on may 10?

Yep. I'm expecting either that Friday, May 10th, or Monday, May 13th for the first batch to roll out. After that date they offer acceptances only as students withdraw on later dates. There could be another surge at the end of the month when students who are wait listed at other schools hear back from them and withdraw from Case.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the list isn't ranked. We aren't told our rank on the list, but I find it highly improbable that the committee hasn't assigned each AL applicant some sort of score, grade, or value. I'm guessing the committee already has an idea of which students are most desired from the list, aka the highest ranked, and are deciding which of those they should offer spots. That can be especially tough since they need to determine what demographics to fill (gender, race, age, experiences).

Just sent in an update letter. I hope it won' t count against me that I didn't send anything from the date of being put on hold (October) to now. Also hope it's read in time for the May 10 acceptance decisions.

How many people do you think are on the AL?

Like others have said, I doubt they just roll out of bed on May 10 and decide to accept ~30 people that day. They have to have some kind of internal ranking/review system. They have had a good two months or so to play with the alternate list (which probably has a couple hundred applicants on it). The "we dont rank" part of the alternate letter was probably just their way of telling us "do not call to ask us where you are on the waitlist".

Also, that May 10th date everyone keeps bringing up (including myself) is not an official acceptance date. It is just the date that people got off the waitlist in the past two years (maybe more?) based on SDN threads. Its a date to keep an eye on, but they can accept people before or after that date.

On a sidenote, I know at least 3 friends turning down their Case UP acceptance. I am optimistic of some waitlist movement this year. Good luck to everyone waiting!

I JUST GOT THE CALL FROM MR. ESSMAN. I'M IN. WHOOO THIS WAS BY FAR MY TOP CHOICE SCHOOL.

This is for the UP track btw.

edit: is there a facebook group I can join/a link to it? Thank you.

double edit: also Mr. Essman said that he shared my letter of interest with Dr. Mehta, and that helped convince them to extend me an offer. Just putting that out there for other people.

Last edited:
I JUST GOT THE CALL FROM MR. ESSMAN. I'M IN. WHOOO THIS WAS BY FAR MY TOP CHOICE SCHOOL.

double edit: also Mr. Essman said that he shared my letter of interest with Dr. Mehta, and that helped convince them to extend me an offer. Just putting that out there for other people.

Congrats... queue crippling anxiety for the rest of today

Queue me kicking my butt up and down for the foreseeable future for not having completed and sent in my own letter of interest a lot sooner (as in, it has not been sent yet!).

But congratulations, RG3forPresident!

I sent a few letters myself! Gonna be checking my phone every constantly now

Sent 2 Letters of Interest along with a Letter of Intent over the past 4 or so months. Hopefully they find mine equally convincing :(

would you mind posting your stats? gpa/mcat?

Letter of Interest is definitely the way to go. And there should be a facebook group around, as Christian about it.

They say last year they made "almost 30 acceptances". With how they word it in the AL letter, they make that sound like it's relatively a lot. By the sound of their tweet yesterday, they handed out a number of acceptances. If we conservatively say they offered 5 spots, that's a decent portion of the total expected list movement. Ugh :cry:

They say last year they made "almost 30 acceptances". With how they word it in the AL letter, they make that sound like it's relatively a lot. By the sound of their tweet yesterday, they handed out a number of acceptances. If we conservatively say they offered 5 spots, that's a decent portion of the total expected list movement. Ugh :cry:

This is just through the grapevine but from what I've heard here and there, Case likes to have a collection of students with different backgrounds (like any school), but when someone declines an offer, they try to find the person on the waitlist who can best fill that hole.

I cannot even count how many times I have refreshed this page today. I have been expecting a flood of acceptances on here after the first one! Not sure if this should give me more hope or just crush what little I have remaining. :scared:

Found a letter in iApply today, dated 5/9, that I was put on the Alternate List for the College Track. Does anyone know who I should email to withdraw from the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.