2012-2013 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those having trouble inputing courses, I contacted admissions and they said you can put all the credits towards the lecture, and then put the same name of the course (as long as it says 'and lab') and date completed for the lab but put zero credits.

I was wondering this too, thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know what to do on the secondary for pre-reqs we repeated? Obviously I want to put the better grade, but I don't know if that's allowed or not.
 
Secondary received.

Anyone know how we are supposed to input classes with combined lecture/lab? Also do we put classes twice if we retook them?
 
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!
 
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!

Wow that seems pretty sick to get screened for a secondary and get auto rejected after..
 
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!

I'm so sorry that really is a bummer =/.

I have a 3.39 sGPA, but the last 3 years of college I had 3.55 sGPAs or greater...I REALLY hope I do not get auto-rejected for this :scared::scared::scared:. I also have a 30+ MCAT OOS...
 
Wow that seems pretty sick to get screened for a secondary and get auto rejected after..

If they'd read my Work/Activities section, I don't think they would have rejected me as quickly! But oh well...there's other schools out there.🙂

I'm so sorry that really is a bummer =/.

I have a 3.39 sGPA, but the last 3 years of college I had 3.55 sGPAs or greater...I REALLY hope I do not get auto-rejected for this :scared::scared::scared:. I also have a 30+ MCAT OOS...

3.39 is so close...hopefully they'll give you a chance. Good luck!
 
I got a C- in Organic 2 lab. Will EVMS accept my A in Biochem as a replacement? I think it's incredibly stupid that some schools require a "C" or better when not all undergraduate schools are on a +/- system. In other words, My 70% (C-) is unacceptable even though someone else's 70% (C) is acceptable.
 
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!

Thank you. You saved me $100!
 
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!
why did they send you a secondary then?, I thought I saw some people in this thread who were rejected pre-secondary..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I hope it's not an automatic rejection. I just asked them if they automatically screen out OOS 28 or less.
 
Last edited:
why did they send you a secondary then?, I thought I saw some people in this thread who were rejected pre-secondary..

I have a 3.00c/3.14s/33 and I wasn't rejected pre-secondary. I don't think many people were.
 
thank you, please post their response!

it is absolutely infuriating to me that this kind of info (assuming this is true) is not readily available on their websites. like come on, if were about to get rejected solely by virtue of our mcat then let us know so we don't blow our money!!!!! absolutely ridiculous.
 
thank you, please post their response!

it is absolutely infuriating to me that this kind of info (assuming this is true) is not readily available on their websites. like come on, if were about to get rejected solely by virtue of our mcat then let us know so we don't blow our money!!!!! absolutely ridiculous.

Yea, I'm confused as well since the MSAR says that EVMS screens pre-secondary...

I'm going to put this one at the bottom of my secondary pile until more info is available about auto-rejections on the basis of MCAT or GPA.
 
Will post as soon as I find out. Yeah, I guess they could make additional revenue that way, but you're absolutely right. If they had a minimum 30 mcat score to apply, they could save themselves the time to screen out so many applicants. If the <=28 screen out is true, I definitely feel very baited.
 
thank you, please post their response!

it is absolutely infuriating to me that this kind of info (assuming this is true) is not readily available on their websites. like come on, if were about to get rejected solely by virtue of our mcat then let us know so we don't blow our money!!!!! absolutely ridiculous.

Completely agree with this. Why even bother with screening if you are still going to auto-reject people based on stats? Sometimes I feel like they care much more about money than applicants.
 
I'm going to put this one at the bottom of my secondary pile until more info is available about auto-rejections on the basis of MCAT or GPA.

Same. It was once one of the top of the list for me, it has now moved itself to priority Z.
 
Will post as soon as I find out. Yeah, I guess they could make additional revenue that way, but you're absolutely right. If they had a minimum 30 mcat score to apply, they could save themselves the time to screen out so many applicants. If the <=28 screen out is true, I definitely feel very baited.

Maybe this year they're trying to raise their stats? I mean, their 10% sGPA is 3.04 and 10% MCAT is 27 (I think).
 
Same. It was once one of the top of the list for me, it has now moved itself to priority Z.


Yea, I mean EVMS probably isn't getting a lot of stellar applicants so I don't understand why they're auto-screening out people with <28 and <3.4. I'm ok with "throwing away" $100 at somewhere like Tulane or Saint Louis U, but not EVMS.
 
Yea, I mean EVMS probably isn't getting a lot of stellar applicants so I don't understand why they're auto-screening out people with <28 and <3.4. I'm ok with "throwing away" $100 at somewhere like Tulane or Saint Louis U, but not EVMS.

I was given an interview and wait-listed top 1/3 last year with a sGPA of 3.3 and an MCAT of 31. I am in-state
 
Hey guys, I am OOS with 27 MCAT, 3.8 non-science, 3.5 science.
I completed the secondary on Monday. Today I was rejected (2days after secondary), and I asked why. Here's EVMS response:
For all applicants we look for at least a 3.4 science GPA
In-state we look for at least a 28 MCAT, out of state a 30 or better

Thought that'd be helpful. Hope you don't waste $100 like I did!

My roommate was accepted OOS with a sub 30 MCAT. He had near a 4.0 GPA so I'm sure that helped, but "out of state a 30 or better" is clearly not a definite cut.
 
One of the Administrative Support Coordinators sent me the cutoff GPA and MCAT information. But after reading some of the responses, it sounds like EVMS shows some leniency!
Maybe the school uses a sliding scale, and if you have a higher GPA you can have a lower MCAT (& vice versa). Not sure, but good luck to everyone!:luck:
 
This worries me. I am OOS and have a 3.39/3.2 with 35 MCAT and I got a secondary. However, now I'm worried about being auto-screened post secondary for not having the 3.4sgpa...not sure if I wanna take a chance and lose $100, although, I would like to attend the school.
 
One of the Administrative Support Coordinators sent me the cutoff GPA and MCAT information. But after reading some of the responses, it sounds like EVMS shows some leniency!
Maybe the school uses a sliding scale, and if you have a higher GPA you can have a lower MCAT (& vice versa). Not sure, but good luck to everyone!:luck:

This worries me. I am OOS and have a 3.39/3.2 with 35 MCAT and I got a secondary. However, now I'm worried about being auto-screened post secondary for not having the 3.4sgpa...not sure if I wanna take a chance and lose $100, although, I would like to attend the school.

Same.. 3.00c/3.14s/33... $100 is a lot of money right now, but EVMS does have "low" stats, so it's probably a good shot for me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is a ******ed rumor, i know people accepted with less than a 3.4 sGPA and i got interviewed and waitlisted myself with less than a 3.4 sGPA.

I'm gonna submit regardless, $100 is chump change compared to the cost of the entire process.
 
I'm sure EVMS doesn't automatically reject ppl post secondary based on stats alone. The MSAR shows that they accept a range of gpa's. But of course I don't have any real information about this.
 
Oh it's automatic??? I didn't know that :/

I'm not sure that it's automatic, but there was someone on the previous page who got rejected and EVMS told him they look for >3.4sGPA, >28MCAT (IS) and >30 OOS.

This is a ******ed rumor, i know people accepted with less than a 3.4 sGPA and i got interviewed and waitlisted myself with less than a 3.4 sGPA.

Your experience last cycle doesn't mean EVMS didn't make changes for this cycle.
 
Still not sure I want to submit this with a 3.14sGPA.. Auto screen would be a total waste of $100
 
I'm not sure that it's automatic, but there was someone on the previous page who got rejected and EVMS told him they look for >3.4sGPA, >28MCAT (IS) and >30 OOS.



Your experience last cycle doesn't mean EVMS didn't make changes for this cycle.


Well considering I just got a complete email after submitting my secondary again this year, i think its safe to assume that there is no automatic under 3.4 sGPA screen.
 
Well considering I just got a complete email after submitting my secondary again this year, i think its safe to assume that there is no automatic under 3.4 sGPA screen.

I'm going to work on it tonight or this weekend. I hope you're right 🙂 Are you IS?
 
I'm going to work on it tonight or this weekend. I hope you're right 🙂 Are you IS?

Yeah, I am in-state, but dude if your worried just call them and ask. They are super helpful and friendly people in the admissions office and are very open to questions.
 
I tried to use the messaging system, but haven't gotten a response. Does anyone have a contact email? I'm trying to figure out if they'll accept Biochem lecture (A) as a replacement for Orgo 2 lab (C-)
 
When you guys used "and lab" for classes that included lab did you put "and lab" on just the one you designated lab or both? and for class number did you got with the class abbreviation too? (like CHEM 123)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
sorry if this has been discussed already, but "Organic Chemistry Laboratory 1, First Semester"??

have people here taken two semesters of organic chemistry lab? my school only offers one with the second semester.
 
My university was the same, and the admissions secretary told me to put the same class twice, same date of completion, same course number, but divided the credits in half between the two.
thanks for the info! I've never heard of anyone taking multiple semesters of o chem lab, or maybe it's just that the thought of doing that makes me want to die..
 
My university was the same, and the admissions secretary told me to put the same class twice, same date of completion, same course number, but divided the credits in half between the two.

wow thanks for the info! I was wondering about this question myself. 👍
 
soooo im an idiot and realized I copy and pasted the same essay for two diff prompts lol. i e-mailed them asking if they could reset my application :\. hopefully it'll work out
 
Status
Not open for further replies.