2012-2013 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just interviewed today so I'm sure I saw you there, Whovian!
great stuff - I really loved the whole experience and it really got me excited about the school!!

That's awesome! Still no interview here yet :(

Members don't see this ad.

just interviewed today so I'm sure I saw you there, Whovian!
great stuff - I really loved the whole experience and it really got me excited about the school!!

Bestwhit, I probably did see you! I was in the first group to interview. I was not expecting such a warm and friendly interview experience. All the medical students seemed to be happy and loving what they do (even though finals were looming for first years I think).

BE YOURSELF GUYS! I don't know what came over me, but I guess it was my first interview so I got really nervous :confused:

Also, I was driving up from Orlando so if anyone else is driving, BE SURE TO AVOID RUSH HOUR!! Miami traffic was hellish. I also can recommend the Best Western in Doral. I got a discounted rate and was given a room on the fourth floor which was really quiet and nice.

Last edited:
Woohoo, interview invite 4:45pm today!

I'm scheduled for november 16th, a bit far away but I was thinking about writing them an email saying I live a few miles from the campus, and that I'd love to attend an earlier interview if someone needs to cancel, since I can attend late notice. Does that sound like something they might be interested in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Barley426! And congrats to everyone else who already interviewed.

I got an II at 4:45 as well! :) I'm interviewing Oct 29th

To everyone expecting to hear about acceptances on the 15th like me: I was looking through the notes I took on interview day and they said we would start hearing about acceptances after 10/16.

To everyone expecting to hear about acceptances on the 15th like me: I was looking through the notes I took on interview day and they said we would start hearing about acceptances after 10/16.
Yeh I remember this also, which is what we were told at UCF too. That one day is going to feel like a lifetime.

PS my status is now admissions committee review completed. So scary knowing my fate is decided

I had a completely different interview experience at this school.

First, they split us up into two groups. 1 group got to tour the campus while the other interviewed. Well folks, Miami is hot/humid.. so essentially 1 group got to interview after walking around FIU campus and getting hot and sweaty. Some of the girls did not seem to happy about this as the sweat/humidity messed up their hair and makeup.

Second, the interview is "blind." This means that the interviewers know nothing about you... What a terrible idea. "So tell me a little bit about yourself?".. Well, if you don't know ANYTHING about me and the interview is only supposed to be 20 minutes long.. this could take a while. Both my interviewers were reading straight off a sheet and were even asking the same boring questions. They were hardly engaging and IMO some of the questions were stereotypically bad interview questions. Describe yourself in 3 words! If you could have dinner with anyone who would it be? etc. etc. I felt very unsatisfied because I didn't get to highlight the parts of my application I wanted nor discuss any of my experiences... BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THEM. And I had to answer their superficial questions so I couldn't even direct the interview really. I had to explain everything I talked about in full detail and it was annoying and time consuming. Terrible system and my worst interview experience by far.

Third, one of my interviewers didn't even show up or was way too late. So they grabbed any available person who hardly knew anything about the medical school or medicine in general. They were clearly not prepared to conduct my interview either and seemed really flustered the entire time. Might be why she was just reading straight off the sheet, but still a terrible interview experience and it felt very unprofessional at the time.

4th The school is 60,000$+ a year for out of state students and once you enroll.. it is impossible to be considered a Florida resident UNLESS you marry one. Seems like a lot to spend on a school that isn't even fully accredited yet and they are totally inflexible about state residency. I am surprised ~20% of the class is out of state.

5th I didn't get a good vibe from the students at all. Maybe I am spoiled for having interviewed at such great schools, but really there was an incredible difference between the demeanor and attitude of the students at FIU compared to Mt. Sinai, NYU, Emory, Cornell, Boston University, Columbia, etc. The students at FIU seemed much less relaxed and more on edge... a couple of them admitted to feeling "something to prove" because of the school's novelty. I asked them about their personal lives and how it was like living in Miami-- I couldn't get a real answer and one student even told me I'd be working too hard to care about those things. WUT? I ask the same thing to a Mt. Sinai student and I can't get them to stop talking about how happy they are and all the things they are doing. I could tell this school was the traditional stressful graded system with class ranks- it definitely pervaded through the students.

6th, The step 1 timing the school gives is the worst I have seen (Though FIU's step 1 is slightly above the national average..)

Maybe I just had a bad interview day but I left feeling very unimpressed by the school. I've had 8 interview experiences so far and FIU did not compare well. I'm not trying to be a hater, just thought I'd give my 2 cents. I was actually looking forward to FIU's interview day a lot (I have family in Miami and I love the city) but in the end, it just wasn't a good fit for me. Maybe it is for others.

I did think all the hospital associations were great though!

Last edited:
Wow dominicandoctor, your experience sounds completely the opposite of mine! I'm sorry you felt that way, but I can see how the interview experience really depends on the day, who interviews you, students you talk to etc...
I was part of the first group to interview (which I'm really happy about because you're right, Miami heat is uncomfortable) and both my interviewers didn't have a sheet of questions. They didn't ask me the "tell me about yourself" question, but I got to tell them briefly about my life. It was very conversational and nice... and I DO think 20 minutes is a bit short, but I think my interviews went well although I was nervous for the first one.
The students were also really helpful and when I asked one about living in Miami, she was really informative and honest.
My favorite part was how friendly the deans, staff, interviewers, EVERYONE was... but I appreciate your review and I understand how I may have just been lucky during my interview day. Some interviewees I talked to did say that some of their interviewers were impersonal.... I guess it's just good to be prepared for both situations!
And yep, the OOS tuition is insane. I have lived in Florida for college so I've been trying to get residency here.
Good luck! You have interviewed already at some really great schools wow!

Edit: Yes, I do remember asking about the grading system and being kind of shocked. They grade via your actual percentage in the class. I like P/F or even H/P/F curriculums better. The students did say that regardless of their uptight grading system, they still helped each other and that it is a collaborative environment...but I'm not sure what to think of it.

Last edited:
1. Miami is hot and humid. You’re going to besweaty at times you don’t want to be. Your interviewers understand that and arenot going to hold it against you.
2. Everyone’s interview experience is differentbecause all of the interviewers are different. The vast majority of the facultymembers I have talked to are very engaging. I also had I had was similar in thesense that my interviewers were very reserved and not conversational, but thereare ways to steer even the most superficial answers into what you want to say.I liked the blind interview because I could steer it to where I wanted theinterview to go, even when the questions seemed superficial.
3. I’m not sure what happened here. I’m sure it wasan unforeseen circumstance. FIU really stresses professionalism.
4. I know that this is an important factor inchoosing a medical school. If you’re out of state, FIU might not be the bestchoice financially. However, they do give out a good number of scholarships. Igot some money from the school even though I was not expecting to, so for me,FIU was reasonably priced. As far as the accreditation, by the time you have tochoose which medical school you want to go to, you will know if FIU is fullyaccredited (and there’s no reason to think it won’t be).
5. You caught us at what was by far the moststressful week we have had so far. I have been paddle boarding with people frommy class. I went rock climbing this past week with some friends from class, andsome of us are planning a snorkeling trip soon. Tonight we have a social onSouth Beach to get to know the law students before we beat them in Dean’s Cupnext weekend. Like any medical school, you will be stressed out at times, butif you can manage your time, you will have time for fun. As far as having“something to prove,” I don’t think that is a bad thing. I think the noveltymakes the faculty more invested in our success. Also, I never attributed mystress level to the grading system. I want to do my best regardless of how we’rebeing graded because I know that when I try to just pass, that’s when I’llstart failing. Learning the material now will only help when it comes to Step 1later on. All of the students are surprisingly helpful. This includes studyguides regularly popping up on the facebook group for our class (and yes, allthe information on them is accurate).
6. The results speak for themselves. Also, if youwant to take Step 1 early, you can, although you won’t get the time off tostudy for it. One concern about the timing had to do with applying for awayrotations. We have been told that it is not a problem. The faculty will write aletter to the program explaining the Step 1 schedule for our school and thatthey will send the scores as soon as they are in, and none of the schools had aproblem with that.

I know that this was way too long, but I wanted to give mythoughts on the school. I’m sorry you did not have a good interview experience.I love FIU and I would not want to be anywhere else. That being said, everyonehas their own list of what they are looking for in a school. If issues like thegrading are that important to you, then maybe FIU is not the school for you.Congratulations on the other interviews. You sound like you have a lot ofwonderful choices.

I should probably introduce myself. I am a current M1. Congrats to everyone with interviews so far and good luck!

Another point I forgot to make about the grading. I wouldn't stress too much about it because there are other factors that residencies are going to look at before your grades from the first two years. Like Step 1 scores.

My status after my interview never changed to admissions review completed - it's just hanging out at selected for interview - so maybe it's good news for you that your status has updated! I get the feeling it can't be great that mine hasn't updated to reflect a completed interview/admissions committee review!

I figured I just had an "off" interview day... it's bound to happen. The experience is all about which students you talk to and which interviewers you get- it's a crapshoot sometimes. Perhaps I did catch the students during a particularly stressful time and my whole interview situation was most likely a fluke. The FIU students posting here on SDN certainly seem much happier than the one's I met on my interview day!

Also, I understand they won't hold it against you if you become sweaty/ruin your makeup. However, it just never is a good feeling when you feel like you look like crap and have makeup running off your face. It's not exactly confidence instilling~ They should improve on this somehow.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats, guys! Whovian, I was also in group I! I definitely felt bad for everyone who interviewed 2nd though because as dominican said, Miami does not do any favors when it comes to antiperspirant or hair spray. :(

I know they said during our day that they were not going to be meeting for as a committee for a little while so those who interviewed around when I did probably won't be hearing back until at least late October (whovian, correct me if I'm wrong)

Accepted! I'm 95% sure that I'll be attending FIU next year. I'm a UM undergrad, so I'm familiar with both the area and the school. I'd be happy to talk with anyone regarding either. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!

Accepted!!!! I'm gonna be a doctor. Woohoo!

Me too!!! I interviewed 9/21

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

congrats, guys! Whovian, I was also in group I! I definitely felt bad for everyone who interviewed 2nd though because as dominican said, Miami does not do any favors when it comes to antiperspirant or hair spray. :(

I know they said during our day that they were not going to be meeting for as a committee for a little while so those who interviewed around when I did probably won't be hearing back until at least late October (whovian, correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, I remember someone asking about that in our group! Dr. Roller said that our group will be reviewed towards the end of October so we should expect to hear back around early November I believe. Good luck :) Congrats to all those accepted!!!

I was accepted here today too! :) :) Even though I didnt have the best interview experience ever, this is my first acceptance and so it is a huge deal to me. Good luck to everyone else!!

Congrats to those who were accepted..........What date did you guys interview?

Congrats to those who were accepted..........What date did you guys interview?
I interviewed on 9/14. I felt that one of my interviews had gone really badly so I was totally surprised to be accepted so quickly. So for those who think they had bad interviews, don't worry about it.

Those of you who were accepted, congrats!!

Do you mind sharing your stats?

I also interviewed on the 21st! Accepted yesterday with a 3.9. 33 mcat

Have not heard yet....just trying to get a gauge for when to expect news....our Dr. Roller said our group should hear back at the end of October, beginning of November. Congrats to Jay...because its early for you!!!

Update sent with mid term grades and a few zingers that express my continued interest. I am hoping to stir them up a bit and get them to look over my forgotten application again.

Has anyone been on preliminary review completed for over a month? I was assuming it meant god news to get the status but now I fear not.

Has anyone been on preliminary review completed for over a month? I was assuming it meant god news to get the status but now I fear not.

I just got this status a few days ago. I'm wondering what comes next. I want to interview here so badly!

The status was good news for me!

accepted last week! i interviewed late september :) i thought my interview was pretty rough but I guess they liked something about me
IS, 3.9+, 29

Status
Not open for further replies.