2012-2013 Rush Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the email I got (at 1:47 am):

Dear _______,

Thank you for adding Rush Medical College to the list of schools you are interested in pursuing for your medical education. Your American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) application highlights your academic achievement and your commitment to health care and we are very excited about the possibility of you joining our community for your medical education and sharing in Rush's mission as a medical center. Rush's mission statement helps to show how we view our organization and how it distinguishes itself among others. "The mission of Rush University Medical Center is to provide the very best care for our patients. Our education and research endeavors, community service programs and relationships with other hospitals are dedicated to enhancing excellence in patient care for the diverse communities of the Chicago area now and in the future."

With a history going back to 1837, Rush has been part of Chicago longer than any other health care institution with a dedicated and committed investment in community health care. Students at Rush Medical College experience training in a rich variety of clinical settings including our own urban academic medical center, the nearby county hospital - the John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital - as well as suburban and rural community hospitals. We are a key partner in the Illinois Medical District on the West Side. Rush's collaboration with the John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County makes the hospital a primary training ground for Rush medical students and gives Stroger patients access to Rush specialists. More than 400 Rush students and residents train at Stroger each year, and joint research programs are developing new ways to improve the health of vulnerable communities and bridge the gaps in the health care system. Rush also joined forces with Stroger Hospital to create the Ruth M. Rothstein CORE Center, the nation's first outpatient facility dedicated to treating people with HIV/AIDS.

With a brand new hospital that opened its doors in January 2012, Rush serves as both an anchor and catalyst for Chicago's West Side medical district. Rush's new hospital facility, called the Tower is an impressive addition to the Chicago landscape. This new hospital facility breaks down physical boundaries to care - locating related services where they are most convenient for patients. Integrated technology provides streamlined registration and scheduling, faster and more accurate test results, real-time access to medical histories, and the latest scientific knowledge and treatment options. Everything in the new hospital focuses on patients and is so well-designed and technologically advanced that it redefines the meaning of outstanding patient-and family-centered care. Rush plays an integral role in the community and in the health and lives of people throughout the city and beyond.

Please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected] should you have any questions throughout the application process.

Sincerely,


Cynthia Boyd, M.D., Assistant Dean of Admissions
Ms. Jill M. Volk, M.S.Ed., Director of Recruitment and Special Programs

Admissions and Recruitment Team, Rush Medical College
600 South Paulina, Suite 524
Chicago, Il 60612
[email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I received the same "thanks for your interest in Rush"---does anyone know if it means my application might finally be reviewed?--I was complete 8/9 :-( the waiting game sucks
 
+1 ! I'm betting it was a systemwide email, ugh.

+1 Damn this was a really crappy way to wake up....build me up just to let me down. I was anticipating the end of the email to be like "...so we want you to come interview with us at your earliest convenience!" if only :'(
 
wow that email really caught me off guard....had to read it three times to make sure this was not II/rejection letter
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So is it true Rush doesn't allow update letters? What about letters of interest?

Yeah, I sent an update letter/LOI and they said they don't take grade or activity updates. I kinda assumed they didn't process the LOI bit either. C'mon, Rush, we just want to show you how much we love you... 😛
 
well to be honest with you, I forgot to ask... since GraMaire is one of my classmates I know she's not making it up and I am pretty sure that she is correct and some interview invites have gone out. and since they are starting interviews in about 2 weeks, I am pretty sure people have gotten invites.

Hmm...the admissions office says that some II's have gone out already (I gather from a few posts), they also say that there have been server problems with the company that keeps the supplemental site up and running.

I wonder if the II's that went out (as far as they know, or thought) actually made it to their destination. I wonder if the office received any responses to those. Just a random Wednesday thought.

😀
 
Hahaha

I bet they would notice if noone accepted a II.

@IrishFootball - they only consider LOI for waitlisted students.
 
I was on their website last night and I noticed that they only interview 370 students! How frighteningly selective!
 
Okay so I have a favor to ask any of the current med students at Rush. If you have some time, please go over to admissions and tell them to find an applicant with a 3.58/3.48/29,35 and grant that person and interview because he wants one really really really badly! Thanks, I appreciate it!
 
wow that email really caught me off guard....had to read it three times to make sure this was not II/rejection letter
+1

I'm dying to hear from Rush. I only got a 29 on my first shot at the MCAT. I would've liked to retake, but literally two days after I got my results I had to fly to Thailand to fulfill a yearlong Fulbright Grant which I won't be back from for a few more weeks. Applying from abroad was a pain, especially since the Rush server is down from 1AM-7AM which is my midday and the time of day that I have wifi access.

My friends at Rush SOM have told me that the head of admissions is amazing. Hoping I'll get an II so I have the chance to meet her!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hmmm.. I just got a message from a friend/M2 at Rush saying that the first invites go out next week.. Maybe this is why no one on SDN has gotten one yet?
 
Hmmm.. I just got a message from a friend/M2 at Rush saying that the first invites go out next week.. Maybe this is why no one on SDN has gotten one yet?


Sorry but my roommates friend said she has scheduled a Rush interview already (and visiting us) and considering interview days are starting soon (less than two weeks) it makes sense that II have started.

I talked to my friend on the adcom September 8th and he said they'd met and decided to invite some of the people who were complete super early. This was right before his exam so it is possible he was off a few days or so. My classmate I believe said II started as well.

I am eating lunch with some cool people Tuesday and see what else I can find out about admissions but I am pretttty sure II have been sent.
 
Poor GraMaire, nobody believes her 🙁

Btw, I heard that first invites don't go out until March. My source is clearly more reliable.
 
Poor GraMaire, nobody believes her 🙁

Btw, I heard that first invites don't go out until March. My source is clearly more reliable.

Hahahah

👍

I am more amused by the pre-med neuroticism than anything else. I remember those days with "fondness". Applying sucks. I didnt get my first II until September 30th and was so anxious. I am really into knowing what is going on which is why I bother answering questions here.

Alrighty back to studying --btw's so much love for Rush's library now that I have been living here for the past couple of days. Questions/procrastination help are always welcome. 🙂
 
I was on their website last night and I noticed that they only interview 370 students! How frighteningly selective!

😱 Dang. I should've tried to use my II at Loyola as some in the area leverage. Oh well, too late now.
 
Gah! Why did I wait until late August to send my secondary in! 🙁 If I do hear anything from Rush, I think it will be well into winter.
 
They definitely accept throughout the cycle (no interviews are specifically for just WL spots later on in the season) so don't worry too much about it. I reallllly do not think they care about August versus October for a review of your app ( I am basing that solely off the personalities of the adcommers I know and could possibly be 100% wrong on that).
 
Hey everyone! I am a 1st year med student at Rush and I just wanted to offer my 2 cents...I was once a premed student and I know how you guys love timelines 🙂

I was complete (primary sent) 1st week of July and I mailed my secondary in around the beginning of October. I received the invitation to interview Jan 10th (yes, late, I know...), interviewed on Feb 8th and got accepted Mar 9th. So for people who haven't heard back from Rush, give it time! I wish the best of luck for all of you!!!
 
Alright this is getting ridiculous. When is someone on SDN gonna get an invite?! (Please let it be me, please let it be me...)
 
Alright this is getting ridiculous. When is someone on SDN gonna get an invite?! (Please let it be me, please let it be me...)

Me first 😎. But you'll probably get it before me, your stats are far and above mine :meanie:.

Hopefully you'll get another II soon (hopefully Rush's!)
 
Checking last year's thread, it seems like a few people on SDN were already doing interviews by this time, so I'm not sure why this year is so different.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
HOPEFULLY this is the week that we ALL get interviews.

As for the letter of interest you guys are talking about... I didn't get that but I got a similar letter earlier on. Weird...
 
i think it's entirely possible that the 390 ppl they're going to interview this year happen to not be on SDN
 
Status
Not open for further replies.