2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
TCMC (as a stand-alone) was not grandfathered into an established university or post-secondary institution. Institutions that are fully accreditation by an accreditation body recognized by the USDOE (either the Middle States Commission or LCME depending on the program) can apply and adopt a ".edu" domain name. TCMC has provisional accreditation planning to obtain full by next year by which time they can switch to the edu domain. Hope that makes sense.

Makes sense, so does this mean that their first graduating class are full of MDs with an * until they get their full accreditation?

Members don't see this ad.

The way I understand it, the provisional accreditation implies that once the first class graduates, they are then viewed as accredited, but an LCME review must occur in order for it to be officially fully accredited, which is in most cases a formality. This is obviously dependent on LCME visit scheduling, which as I understand was scheduled for TCMC next summer.

So there would be no reason to label graduate degrees with an asterisk, because accreditation is implied.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, 2 quick questions..

Is revisit day worth going too? abd do most people live solo first year or try to find a roomate through accepted students group, sdn etc

Hey, 2 quick questions..

Is revisit day worth going too? abd do most people live solo first year or try to find a roomate through accepted students group, sdn etc

I think most people find roommates from the time they are accepted to even as late as orientation. Kelley also mentioned that they can help people find each other as well.

I don't remember, when do we find out what happens to those of use who are deferred?

I think most people find roommates from the time they are accepted to even as late as orientation. Kelley also mentioned that they can help people find each other as well.

Couple things. Sometimes different years live together as roommates. I know a 4th and 3rd year who are roommates. The 4th is graduating - so 3rd might need a roommate.

Second thing - be mobile. Until you know what regional campus you'll be at, I wouldn't buy the home of my dreams. You may only be in Scranton 2 years.

I don't remember, when do we find out what happens to those of use who are deferred?

At the last decision deadline, the deferred people are reviewed again, so some might be accepted, rejected, or waitlisted. The last date is April 30th, I think, but as with prevous date it may be a few days before that.

Second thing - be mobile. Until you know what regional campus you'll be at, I wouldn't buy the home of my dreams. You may only be in Scranton 2 years.

Yeah, I think they said that this year the regional campuses will be sorted out at orientation, so it would probably be hard for people to plan housing many years ahead.

Do we attempt to rank of regional campuses during the revisit?

Do we attempt to rank of regional campuses during the revisit?

Most of the current students said that you rank and choose the regional campuses during orientation in a lottery type way. Apparently they used to have you rank them and they get selected first come first serve when you're accepted, but they are changing that this year by doing them all at orientation.

That's how they explained it, but I didn't hear anything specific about it from the admissions department, so I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Most of the current students said that you rank the regional campuses during orientation, and they are chosen in a lottery type way. Apparently they used to have you rank them and they get selected first come first serve when you're accepted, but they are changing that this year by doing them all at orientation.

That's how they explained it, but I didn't hear anything specific about it from the admissions department, so I don't know for sure.

Part of the confusion might be that they are possibly adding 2 campuses, Pocono/Stroudsburg and Hazleton if I'm not mistaken.

Back in the day it was a list of 1-3, and first accepted first accommodated. It may have changed.

ps I know Williamsport seems in the middle of nowhere, but they have a strong family med residency if you're interested in family med.

Good luck all :xf:

Most of the current students said that you rank and choose the regional campuses during orientation in a lottery type way. Apparently they used to have you rank them and they get selected first come first serve when you're accepted, but they are changing that this year by doing them all at orientation.

I just interviewed on 4/10, and they said that it will still be based on rank of when you were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny. Like I said, a bunch of current MS1/MS2's said it wasn't like that any more at my interview, but maybe things changed since then.

I specifically asked admissions about this when I received my acceptance phone call and I was told it was no longer in order of acceptance. I think we rank them on accepted students day? This Saturday!

I think we rank them on accepted students day? This Saturday!

That sucks...I can't make it to the accepted students day. :( Can anyone confirm this? Seems like it's not the best time to do it since their last notification date is April 30th and some people at second look day won't matriculate...

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if we ranked at the revisit day on Saturday. I sent an email asking for a list of the sessions that would be going on because I am on the fence about going now due to a family function that I just recently found out about.

I would be very surprised if we ranked at the revisit day on Saturday. I sent an email asking for a list of the sessions that would be going on because I am on the fence about going now due to a family function that I just recently found out about.

I emailed Constance Dombrowski (the lady who sent out the TCMC Revisit day RSVP) and asked if we would be ranking/deciding on Saturday. She said that they will take preference and it will be a lottery system. But that we will probably find out the following week so they can get the ranks for the people who can't make revisit day. So if you can't make it, you can still rank. She said they aren't using when you were accepted this year.

Also, does anyone know what the dress code is for Saturday?

I emailed Constance Dombrowski (the lady who sent out the TCMC Revisit day RSVP) and asked if we would be ranking/deciding on Saturday. She said that they will take preference and it will be a lottery system. But that we will probably find out the following week so they can get the ranks for the people who can't make revisit day. So if you can't make it, you can still rank. She said they aren't using when you were accepted this year.

What? How can they take preference. And be a lottery system.? Im just gonna call kelley

Meaning people rank their choices... Then all who rank Scranton #1 will be entered into a lottery to decide who gets it. And so on.

She said that they will take preference and it will be a lottery system. But that we will probably find out the following week so they can get the ranks for the people who can't make revisit day. So if you can't make it, you can still rank. She said they aren't using when you were accepted this year.

Based on this info, it seems like those who can't attend Revisit Day will not be at a disadvantage. Once they get the ranks from the non-attendees, they'll enter us all into the lottery system so it won't matter if you attended or not. Is that how everyone else interpreted it? I just don't want to get screwed over because I can't make it to the Second Look Day, haha.

It is hard, but I'm officially withdrawing from TCMC.

Good luck everyone, I hope my spot goes to one of you here :)

Ahh, that makes a bit more sense.

It is hard, but I'm officially withdrawing from TCMC.

Good luck everyone, I hope my spot goes to one of you here :)

Have a Great Time at NYMC!! Valhalla is a nice place.

Anyone applying for the NHSC scholarship?

I'm going to try to, but I'm hesitant because I might be deferring a year. And unfortunately TCMC doesn't have its academic calendars drawn up yet, so that one section is difficult to fill out.

For current students, first year days are typically how long on avg? I had an interview in NJ and they go from 9 to about 2. I thought that was pretty sweet

Why does it say resident for you? Also is pmr, pain management and rehabilitation?

Its a good idea it you are going into primary care. I am most interested in pmr so I wouldn't qualify

Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info! I'm guessing the dress code is business casual. Also, there is a facebook group that no one uses: https://www.facebook.com/groups/324300387673232/?fref=ts

unless everyone prefers anonymity haha

Why does it say resident for you? Also is pmr, pain management and rehabilitation?

My undergrad waas prosthetics and orthotics, I had to do two years of residency to become a practitioner

This is most likely the reason I got into med school, my gpa was okay and mcat was horrible

Did they say anything that may be of interest to those who weren't able to attend?

Yes, we ranked our regions and they gave us a pre-matriculation to do list that includes creating your TCMC account. We'll all receive an email soon. It was a fun day :)

Yes, we ranked our regions and they gave us a pre-matriculation to do list that includes creating your TCMC account. We'll all receive an email soon. It was a fun day :)

Thanks for responding. That's awesome! I'm sorry I had to miss it.

Also pretty useful going forward - for those unable to make it: https://www.facebook.com/TCMCMD2017

It's a page the admissions dept. set up. You can find info about how to submit your regional preference if you were unable to make revisit day.

Seems like not that many people were there (looks like only 60) Do they still have a lot of seats available or did a lot of people not come?

I interviewed earlier in April and gonna hopefully hear good news from them next Week!

Seems like not that many people were there (looks like only 60) Do they still have a lot of seats available or did a lot of people not come?

I interviewed earlier in April and gonna hopefully hear good news from them next Week!

Looked to me like more than 60, but who knows. They have to have some seats left, because of the whole non-rolling admissions thing, but I'm sure many people couldn't make it.

Get ur physical and vacs early, it took me a month to get everything done without the office being busy, if you wait until the summer offices will be packed

The Alpha Omega Alpha honor status has an asterisk at present.. seeing as how the AOA chapter cannot officially be established until full accreditation is obtained.

The fourth years who attained this (no 3rd year AOAs at TCMC) had this written into their Dean's Letters and program directors made note of this during the interviews

(Though the busier attending physicians who only spend the 15 minutes before a residency interview reviewing the file may be confused by this)

This should not be a big deal for the incoming class

For those of us who are currently deferred does anyone know if they are still going to accept some people on the 30th? Or is the best we can hope for at this point a wait list spot?

Will they waitlist everyone who's not accepted or will they cull?

When I interviewed early this month, they said they would be conservative with the number of acceptances (~200 offers for 100 spots). They said they preferred to have a strong wait list to pull from rather than accept too many. I got the impression that if you were deferred in the past then you could still be wait listed now. But based on comments they made about early interview dates not making a big difference in your chances of being accepted, I think the they must give more weight to the people they just interviewed over the people who have already been deferred. But that's just speculation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.