2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If my parking permit doesn't come in time, is there visitors parking I can park?

Just e-mail the admissions office and ask for one. You just print it out, fill in your car information, and put it on your dashboard when you park. If not, there's street parking. It's Scranton for christ's sake.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear ya but puttin my a6 audi on the street, rather not

Members don't see this ad :)
Just completed my interview, it was good. I think I nailed it ha. At the end of the interview both of the interviews, the interviewer gave me their email and mentioned I had a strong interview so this is a good sign. I hope ha

II yesterday! Stats are 3.6/32, OOS and I've been complete for a few months.

can anyone who was accepted and has their deposit received confirm that you can no longer log into the status page?

Has anyone gotten the acceptance call before the Dec 19 deadline (for the 2 round) OR are all emails and calls done around that time.

II by email!!! yipppy!!!!!!! edit: complete 1 month ago. online status says I wasn't sent to committee til last week. earliest slot was in feb.. yikes.. is that already too late??

nevermind. I guess it's 'non-rolling' although they have 4 dates to send out decisions, I feel the earlier the interview the better.

MSAR says they expect to admit ~100 this year. the first class was comprised of 65 students... can anyone verify this / is it mentioned on interview day? how many interviews are held do you think?

Last edited:
II by email!!! yipppy!!!!!!! edit: complete 1 month ago. online status says I wasn't sent to committee til last week. earliest slot was in feb.. yikes.. is that already too late??

nevermind. I guess it's 'non-rolling' although they have 4 dates to send out decisions, I feel the earlier the interview the better.

MSAR says they expect to admit ~100 this year. the first class was comprised of 65 students... can anyone verify this / is it mentioned on interview day? how many interviews are held do you think?

they are non-rolling and I think you will be considered for the feb release date, if it's early feb. yes they are anticipating 100 matriculants and interviewing around 600 students. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
they are non-rolling and I think you will be considered for the feb release date, if it's early feb. yes they are anticipating 100 matriculants and interviewing around 600 students. good luck!

cool thanks pittpanthers. i'm very very excited about this one!!! i wish i could go sooner though!! i am interviewing just a couple days before that feb release date so I don't know if I will get squeezed in or not for the feb release.

i wonder how many applications they received this year. i am still shocked that i made it this far in the cycle.

Email Kelley Williams and ask her to let you know if an interview slot opens up for an earlier date. I did, and got my interview moved up by 2.5 months

Last edited:
I wish I had done this. My II was in early October. Regretting not emailing them. Oh well. Way to be proactive, skyline. I like this school a lot. Hoping I can line up some interviews before January so I don't botch up my Commonwealth interview.

Don't stress too much about botching it up and you won't! While you should be nervous due to the fact that it is a medical school interview, they do their best to make it a very relaxed environment. The interviews are very conversational, they are not trying to trick you.

Don't stress too much about botching it up and you won't! While you should be nervous due to the fact that it is a medical school interview, they do their best to make it a very relaxed environment. The interviews are very conversational, they are not trying to trick you.

I second what rmcspe2011 says. They tell you when you get there that you wouldn't have been invited for an interview if they didn't think you would succeed at TCMC academically. The interview is just to make sure you're a good fit with the school. :)

I second what rmcspe2011 says. They tell you when you get there that you wouldn't have been invited for an interview if they didn't think you would succeed at TCMC academically. The interview is just to make sure you're a good fit with the school. :)

i third that. adding that you should be prepared to answer why you want to go to tcmc specifically

Interview invite this afternoon :)

Complete late August; 3.47c, 3.14s, 31N

Its funny how ppl say in all their threads that they love schoool xyz but offer no ture indications of y they like the school......

Not only tcmc thread but others too, I would email them u know y do u love school xyz, no good replies ha

I just think it is funny

Good luck with everything, I wasn't taking a shot at you but yeah location is important. I feel many medical schools are a mirror image of each other with an exception for a few.

At any rate TCMC building is very nice, kinda small tho. Library is super small. I am not sure how that is gonna work when student number increases. The atmosphere is really upbeat and fresh which is nice. Some medical schools that have been established for a long time will make you feel like a number rather than a person. But not at TCMC each person has a voice.

Good Luck

Its funny how ppl say in all their threads that they love schoool xyz but offer no ture indications of y they like the school......

Not only tcmc thread but others too, I would email them u know y do u love school xyz, no good replies ha

I just think it is funny

When I see that someone's asked why people like a particular school, I usually don't give my reasoning because (and maybe I'm too cynical :shrug:) it often sounds like the person asking hasn't done his/her research about the school and wants something to write about in secondaries or talking points for the interview. Maybe that isn't always the case, but it could be why you don't often get responses to that question.

Yea I guess, but applicants that have a chance of matriculation for the next year should have a little more firepower than knowing why they want to go to TCMC. A thirty min search on the internet can give you the answer. Admissions dont want people to so called beef up there secondaries. Its true they are looking for certain things in the secondary but they can sniff out the BS when reviewing passed experiences.

People say I want to be apart of the community but have never volunteered within an underserved community. Sniff! Sniff!

But i understand what you are saying. Its a competition for sure!

Hey I may possibly need to switch my interview date to late January/ Early February, from January 14th.... I think if we email Kelley Williams she can set up so we'll be able to switch interview dates! PM me with the date you're interviewing and I'll let you know if I'll be able to switch! Thanks!

Did your status actually change to "sent to committee for review" (or whatever) prior to the interview invite?

Did your status actually change to "sent to committee for review" (or whatever) prior to the interview invite?

I think the usual progression of what you'll see on the application system is: Application Complete, Sent to Screeners, Interview Pending (at which time you get an e-mail notification), then finally Interview Scheduled

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving to all you applicants. Don't think or talk about getting into medical schools for a couple of days. Relax your mind and try not to stress.

DEC 19 will come soon, I am looking for a nice Christmas present from TCMC.

Do they send rejection notifications here? I was "Sent to Screeners" in early November, but a lot of people who received interviews said that had the "Interview Pending" status soon after that.

I was sent to screeners today 11/21 and was wondering what the usual wait is for an ii?

This is for any one who interviewed November 16th here at Commonwealth. All of you were tremendous people and will no doubt make fantastic physicians. I know that the next month will be tough for all of you (and for me!) but I hope that if I am accepted that all of you are as well. TCMC is a great school and I hope to be in a class with every last one of you. Best of luck.

Do they send rejection notifications here? I was "Sent to Screeners" in early November, but a lot of people who received interviews said that had the "Interview Pending" status soon after that.

How do you check for application status ?. I was unable to log in to a page from secondary application email with my PIN and email.
I found a link to check for a status. However, it just said when my application received, date payment, and date it was complete. Does anyone has the same info? Does it mean the committee hasn't look at my application yet. My application was complete on the first week of September.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I interviewed back in September and got accepted (YES!!) in late October. When I was there, they did inform me that they were taking 100 students for their class of 2017. They also said they planned on interviewing roughly 600 students and sending out approximately 200 acceptances. TCMC said accepting that number will likely give them their class of 100 students, but if 100 people accept before they finish interviewing, they'll have a "post interview hold list" for acceptances. Their reason for doing this is that they have a track record of people who accept their offer of admission at TCMC and then later decide to attend a different medical school.

Also, for those of you waiting to hear back in December, here's what happened to me. They first sent me a personalized email of acceptance around 3:30pm that day. (I got that email waiting for my car to be fixed and I damn near scared everyone mechanic there) Then called later at 5pm to personally congratulate me as well. I can no longer log into the portal so I can't tell you what the admissions tracker said.

Lastly, I'm in state, but from the Pittsburgh area. I had a 31 MCAT (12P, 8V, 11B) and a 3.63 GPA when I applied.

Under the admissions Interview tab it says "No appointment to be scheduled for application year 2013." does this mean I have been rejected?

Under the admissions Interview tab it says "No appointment to be scheduled for application year 2013." does this mean I have been rejected?

No, I think that everyone has that message at first.

I interviewed in September and was deferred for the first notification date.

Just for giggles, I decided to check my status today and found that much of it has been removed. Rather than saying "Interview Complete 9/11" "Decision Pending 9/24" and "Decision Pending Reviewed 9/29", the last thing it says is "Interview Scheduled 8/20"

If you were deferred, what does your status say?

Last edited:
I interviewed on 10/08, my page said that my decision pending was reviewed on 11/08. I'm seriously wishing that TCMC was NOT non-rolling because I'm having problems waiting until 12/19 to find out. It could be a great gift for the holidays or a really terrible one.

Also, I just now logged back in to the portal page, and all of the status updates after Interview Scheduled (08/08) have disappeared. Did this happen for anyone else? Is it just a website glitch/error? Has TCMC removed the informational update portion of their website (perhaps because too many people called them wanting to know early)? Or is this a sign (good or bad) about my acceptance?

I interviewed in September and was deferred for the first notification date.

Just for giggles, I decided to check my status today and found that much of it has been removed. Rather than saying "Interview Complete 9/11" "Decision Pending 9/24" and "Decision Pending Reviewed 9/29", the last thing it says is "Interview Scheduled 8/20"

If you were deferred, what does your status say?

I wasn't deferred, as my first decision was supposed to come out on 12/19. My page is the same way though. I wonder if their website is experiencing errors, or if they're just not releasing that info anymore.

Then again, maybe we've both met the same fate (whether that be a good one or bad one).

My latest status change was "sent to screeners" a couple weeks ago. All of that dropped off the status page screen this morning, all it has now is when i was put into the system back in september. I think it's their system.

I interviewed on 10/08, my page said that my decision pending was reviewed on 11/08. I'm seriously wishing that TCMC was NOT non-rolling because I'm having problems waiting until 12/19 to find out. It could be a great gift for the holidays or a really terrible one.

Also, I just now logged back in to the portal page, and all of the status updates after Interview Scheduled (08/08) have disappeared. Did this happen for anyone else? Is it just a website glitch/error? Has TCMC removed the informational update portion of their website (perhaps because too many people called them wanting to know early)? Or is this a sign (good or bad) about my acceptance?

I interviewed in November, so also waiting for 12/19. My previous statuses are all still up with the last one being Interview Scheduled. So I guess same thing? I really only check my acceptance status when someone asks what others are seeing. I wouldn't dwell on it, it could be anything from general maintenance to a decision. Either way, you'll never know so no use stressing! Hope you get some good news in December!

They may have reached a decision call and ask. I know people from the first set of interviews that got notice a couple weeks before the date given. There is nothing wrong with asking questions. Mine has also changed but I am not stressing about it, I can wait for my Christmas present! lol

If you do get a response let us know how you turn out! Good luck

II this morning. Unfortunately, the earliest dates are in March :(

I'm going to try to email to see if I can move this up, but if I do end up interviewing in March, I'm essentially interviewing for a wait list spot, right?

I'm going to try to email to see if I can move this up, but if I do end up interviewing in March, I'm essentially interviewing for a wait list spot, right?

no tcmc doesn't do rolling admissions. You have an equal chance just like everyone else. What do ur stats look like

I would try to move it up. I think that given their system, there will be some spots left for the final notification date of April 24th, but if I had to guess, I'd say that your chances are better at an earlier date. Another poster who was accepted this cycle said that this is how TCMC explained it:

mfenn48 said:
When I was there, they did inform me that they were taking 100 students for their class of 2017. They also said they planned on interviewing roughly 600 students and sending out approximately 200 acceptances. TCMC said accepting that number will likely give them their class of 100 students, but if 100 people accept before they finish interviewing, they'll have a "post interview hold list" for acceptances. Their reason for doing this is that they have a track record of people who accept their offer of admission at TCMC and then later decide to attend a different medical school.

This is basically how it works at schools that do have rolling admission, and the post-interview hold list really sounds like a waitlist. So it seems that the later you interview, the more likely it is that 100 people would have accepted their offers.

Others have had success in scheduling earlier interviews by e-mailing Kelley Williams.

I can no longer log in using my pin number and my email. Is anyone else having this problem?

Hi,

I am looking for a ride to Boston, New York City, New Haven, or Providence after my interview on Monday, December 3rd (anywhere with public transportation options). I will happily contribute towards gas and tolls. Please private message me if you have any leads.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.