2012-2013 The Commonwealth Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
II this morning. Unfortunately, the earliest dates are in March :(

I'm going to try to email to see if I can move this up, but if I do end up interviewing in March, I'm essentially interviewing for a wait list spot, right?

+1 Scheduled for 3/1
Complete 8/21. OOS 3.6/33

Members don't see this ad.

II this morning. Unfortunately, the earliest dates are in March :(

I'm going to try to email to see if I can move this up, but if I do end up interviewing in March, I'm essentially interviewing for a wait list spot, right?

There's one left on February 18!

I'm withdrawing my II, so good luck to ya'lls. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
A little of two weeks until Dec 19! Are you guys getting excited!

For those who interviewed already, how did you prepare for it? This will be my fisrt interview and probably my only one so I don't want to bomb it. I am guessing they will ask me about my interest in TCMC, life expereinces,bumps in college, etc.

Also, what would be the best way to get to Scranton from NYC besides driving? I am trying to avoid flying since that's $500-600 ticket for only 1-2 hours flight. Also, TCMC doesn't have a student host program right?

Look up Martz Trailways, they have a bus departing from NY, NY. However, you should be prepared to stay overnight at a hotel the day before because the buses don't run early enough that you can get to the school on time if you're traveling in the morning.

Look up Martz Trailways, they have a bus departing from NY, NY. However, you should be prepared to stay overnight at a hotel the day before because the buses don't run early enough that you can get to the school on time if you're traveling in the morning.

Wow, it doesn't look like going by bus is going to be cheap either. Bus ride will be $100 but the terminal is pretty far away from the campus. Will probably have to take a taxi and stay for 2 nights...

For those who interviewed already, how did you prepare for it? This will be my fisrt interview and probably my only one so I don't want to bomb it. I am guessing they will ask me about my interest in TCMC, life expereinces,bumps in college, etc.

Also, what would be the best way to get to Scranton from NYC besides driving? I am trying to avoid flying since that's $500-600 ticket for only 1-2 hours flight. Also, TCMC doesn't have a student host program right?

You really don't need to prepare. Be your self, the interviews are very chill and conversational. There are obvious questions you must know like the ones you mentioned but no hard questions. Just be yourself and show them what type of person you are.
All the hard work is done now the interview is cake!

Has anyone been rejected pre-interview

Wow, it doesn't look like going by bus is going to be cheap either. Bus ride will be $100 but the terminal is pretty far away from the campus. Will probably have to take a taxi and stay for 2 nights...

Try looking into Greyhound (www.greyhound.com) it should be ~70 round trip and the terminal is <1mile from the school/hotel. I walked from the terminal to the hotel w/o any issues. I don't think that you should have to stay for 2 nights... you can take the 4:30pm bus back to city, my interview ended with enough time for me to catch the bus. PM me if you have any questions.

Also: They will ask you to buy your tickets at the bus terminal (for some reason you can't do it online or over the phone) but it all works out well. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete since 8/3 and received an interview invite today. I scheduled my interview for the earliest possible on 1/9/13.

Rejected this morning. ~3.55/33 OOS. I was a little surprised bc I am in their range for stats but whatever thats the med school application cycle for ya

I've been complete since 8/3 and received an interview invite today. I scheduled my interview for the earliest possible on 1/9/13.

How did you do this? I received an II last week and the earliest date was March 8th :confused:

You are so lucky! :luck: :)

How did you do this? I received an II last week and the earliest date was March 8th :confused:

You are so lucky! :luck: :)

Haha not sure--it seemed like there were 2 Wednesdays open each month. I got the confirmation email and everything, but I saw other people's posts too and was confused. Oh well?

Hello! Does anyone know approximately what time the interview ends? I'm looking at flight tickets and the latest one out of Scranton Airport is at 4pm...

Hello! Does anyone know approximately what time the interview ends? I'm looking at flight tickets and the latest one out of Scranton Airport is at 4pm...

About 2-2:30. Tell the admissions staff and they'll do your exit interview early.

Rejected this morning. ~3.55/33 OOS. I was a little surprised bc I am in their range for stats but whatever thats the med school application cycle for ya

Your numbers are good for sure but I guess they felt you did not fit there mold. Its more than numbers. If a school only cares about numbers than you do not want to go there, believe me!

Imma ask this again, was any1 given the emails of the interviwer after the interview? Both the student and doc gave me there email after. I was curious to see if that happen to others.

Imma ask this again, was any1 given the emails of the interviwer after the interview? Both the student and doc gave me there email after. I was curious to see if that happen to others.

i wasn't given any emails, but I was accepted so don't look too much into it?

I haven't interviewed here yet, but I think it's a relatively common practice for interviewers to provide their contact info so that interviewees can e-mail or snail mail thank yous if they want to do so. Maybe it varies by interviewer at TCMC. Like pittpanthers said, I wouldn't read too much into it.

Haha not sure--it seemed like there were 2 Wednesdays open each month. I got the confirmation email and everything, but I saw other people's posts too and was confused. Oh well?

Lol I wish I could have seen a January opening. Good luck on your interview!

I did call Kelley and she was able to reschedule my interview for this upcoming Monday! (Yikes!) but I feel better about going there in Dec rather than March :)

yeah you guys are probably right. We find out next week anyways. I guess I will play some MADDEN 13 to get my mind off of things.

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope that it goes to one of you guys!

I really liked this school and I think that I would have been happy there but my other options make more sense and I wanted to free the spot before their upcoming decisions. :luck:

I just got a voicemail from the associate director of admissions. She asked me to call her back. I called back and got voicemail. I asked her to call me back.

YOU'RE KILLING ME, TCMC! WAS I ACCEPTED OR WASN'T I????:scared::eek:

I just got a voicemail from the associate director of admissions. She asked me to call her back. I called back and got voicemail. I asked her to call me back.

I'm going to say you were accepted. People who were deferred never received a phone call, and many who were accepted did get a call the week prior to notice.

Congratulations!

No phone call for me :(

Anyone who was deferred in October: were you accepted this time? Feel free to answer next week.

most likley an acceptance!!!!!!!!!!!!!! congrats!!!!!!

I got an voicemail too! But accidentally deleted it! :scared:

I still have the 'missed call' number, but forget the name of the woman who called.

Epic fail!

I still have the 'missed call' number, but forget the name of the woman who called.

Epic fail!

Good for you! That's exciting for sure.

Epic fail!

I finally got in touch with her. ACCEPTED!!!!!! :D:D:D

The woman who called me was Dr. Berardi-Demo. Maybe that's who called you too?

I finally got in touch with her. ACCEPTED!!!!!! :D:D:D

The woman who called me was Dr. Berardi-Demo. Maybe that's who called you too?

You must have done fine but after your interview how did you feel it went? When did you interview

Did everyone who got accepted receive a phone call prior to the date everyone receives their decision? I didn't get one today and hope it doesn't mean I am deferred. I guess there's still Monday and Tuesday next week they could also call people before decisions are released Wednesday.

Thanks, I think that was her. Now hopefully I won't sound as much like an idiot when I call her back!

You must have done fine but after your interview how did you feel it went? When did you interview

I interviewed the first week of October. I had 3 interviews. I left the first one feeling terrible. I got asked some really awful questions about my opinions on politics and government, and I always thought those were taboo topics, not to be discussed. My interviewer was kind of sarcastic and didn't put much faith in my answers. He was really hard to read too. I didn't know if we was actually unhappy with me, or just testing me.

But the second one was a god send. I swear it could not have gone more perfectly. Honestly, it was the best interview I've ever had in my life. The third one was neutral. I didn't feel like it went terrible, but I didn't know what I could have done to do better. It was fine. Not a big deal.

So yeah, I guess the second one balanced out the first one. Or he was just testing me, and I passed his test? Or something. I don't know. I wasn't sure of an acceptance though. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out.

Thanks, I think that was her. Now hopefully I won't sound as much like an idiot when I call her back!

You'll be fine. She just asks to speak with you, tells you that they've reviewed your file, made a decision, and hopes that you'll consider them. Then tells you you'll get official notification later, and wishes you a good evening. That's basically it.

I let my excitement show through and told her how happy I was, and she seemed really taken aback... like she felt like people wouldn't be excited to go there?:confused:

did everyone who got accepted receive a phone call prior to the date everyone receives their decision? I didn't get one today and hope it doesn't mean i am deferred. I guess there's still monday and tuesday next week they could also call people before decisions are released wednesday.

+1

I interviewed the first week of October. I had 3 interviews. I left the first one feeling terrible. I got asked some really awful questions about my opinions on politics and government, and I always thought those were taboo topics, not to be discussed. My interviewer was kind of sarcastic and didn't put much faith in my answers. He was really hard to read too. I didn't know if we was actually unhappy with me, or just testing me.

But the second one was a god send. I swear it could not have gone more perfectly. Honestly, it was the best interview I've ever had in my life. The third one was neutral. I didn't feel like it went terrible, but I didn't know what I could have done to do better. It was fine. Not a big deal.
So yeah, I guess the second one balanced out the first one. Or he was just testing me, and I passed his test? Or something. I don't know. I wasn't sure of an acceptance though. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out.

One interview must have been a trial because all applicants during my interview only got two. But congrats, hopefully they get to the nov interviews soon

Did everyone who got accepted receive a phone call prior to the date everyone receives their decision? I didn't get one today and hope it doesn't mean I am deferred. I guess there's still Monday and Tuesday next week they could also call people before decisions are released Wednesday.

I got the phone call back in October the week before the decision date they had posted on their website. They could still be making calls next week though! Don't loose hope

Did anyone get a call the week of or not at all until the got their email and was accepted?

I'm sure there is many different times people were accepted, the key is not to jump to conclusions and wait for the 19

Status
Not open for further replies.