2012-2013 University of Colorado Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, still waiting...and it's after 5:00 MST. They'll probably string us along until Sunday before sending the final word.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does a cock need to crow three times before they deny me? I'll go buy a bird if I have to...

Members don't see this ad :)
...as I sit watching "The Hobbit" w/ my dad.

I'm a player.

tumblr_lpkp19sbGA1qgtxt8o1_500.png

Your interviewers are all "I swear to you, I don't know the man!"

See. You get it w/o even having to meet me. They could've just sent the small envelope back in October...

...never should've used Frodo and the ring as an analogy to my long journey to medicine...

So can we really expect anything over the weekend? I wouldn't think so, but I thought they had said all decisions would be made by now(?). Years ago CU accepted a buddy on April 1. He actually called to verify it wasn't a horrible joke.

Hahaha, worst April fool's joke ever! And they did say we'd "be notified no later than March 31st." It even says that when I try to check my status on their website...I've been ripping apart my spam box just to make sure my filters haven't chucked the email, but still nothing. How many of us are there still waiting?

Hahaha, worst April fool's joke ever! And they did say we'd "be notified no later than March 31st." It even says that when I try to check my status on their website...I've been ripping apart my spam box just to make sure my filters haven't chucked the email, but still nothing. How many of us are there still waiting?

Add me to the list. I'm still waiting..

"Do you give preference to residents of the state of Colorado?"

"Yes. As a state institution, Colorado residents are our highest priority. The class normally has 75 percent or more students from the state. Students from Wyoming and Montana (students in the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education - WICHE) have the potential, if selected by our medical school and their state, to receive financial support that enables them to pay similar costs to those of Colorado's residents. The non-resident applicant pool is about three times the size of Colorado's, and competition is much greater."

Per the new MSAR, 43% of the class of 2017 at CU are OOSers. Really really happy for those of y'all that made it.

Hard not to feel frustrated as a 22-year CO resident though.

"Yes. As a state institution, Colorado residents are our highest priority. The class normally has 75 percent or more students from the state. Students from Wyoming and Montana (students in the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education - WICHE) have the potential, if selected by our medical school and their state, to receive financial support that enables them to pay similar costs to those of Colorado’s residents. The non-resident applicant pool is about three times the size of Colorado’s, and competition is much greater."

Per the new MSAR, 43% of the class of 2017 at CU are OOSers. Really really happy for those of y'all that made it.

tumblr_m41ryvAfzA1qc8gd8_zps6b88de7e.gif

Per the new MSAR, 43% of the class of 2017 at CU are OOSers.

This is correct for 2016. The class of 2017 is still being selected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Add me to the list. I'm still waiting..

This post-deadline waiting is nerve-wracking. I'd love to just be able to start planning for a life in CO; connect with some good research labs, find a cute apt close to campus, sell my east coast furniture and buy some west coast skis... feels like a long shot now with the date come and gone, but here's hoping. :thumbup:

This post-deadline waiting is nerve-wracking. I'd love to just be able to start planning for a life in CO; connect with some good research labs, find a cute apt close to campus, sell my east coast furniture and buy some west coast skis... feels like a long shot now with the date come and gone, but here's hoping. :thumbup:

Yeah, that deadline turned out to be not so much. I imagine it's a good thing? They're progressing from rejections to waitlists to acceptances? I don't have a logical proof for this hunch, just intuition.

Yeah, that deadline turned out to be not so much. I imagine it's a good thing? They're progressing from rejections to waitlists to acceptances? I don't have a logical proof for this hunch, just intuition.

I'll trust Celine's intuitions more than a logical deduction most days of the week...

Decided to check in on the good ol' Colorado SDN thread, and I'm not surprised to see the admissions committee leavin' everyone in the dark again. Way to go CU :thumbup:

"Yes. As a state institution, Colorado residents are our highest priority. The class normally has 75 percent or more students from the state. Students from Wyoming and Montana (students in the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education - WICHE) have the potential, if selected by our medical school and their state, to receive financial support that enables them to pay similar costs to those of Colorado’s residents. The non-resident applicant pool is about three times the size of Colorado’s, and competition is much greater."

This is totally unacceptable! Especially because I was IS waitlisted last year. :( Hopefully they can turn it around in years to come.

From the same year:

In-state tuition: $35,000
Out of state tuition: $61,000

It's no mystery why the class composition is creeping in that direction.

From the same year:

In-state tuition: $35,000
Out of state tuition: $61,000

It's no mystery why the class composition is creeping in that direction.

:( Unfortunately, the Colorado legislature doesn't do an adequate job of funding higher education, so there is definitely pressure to accept an increasing proportion of OOS applicants to cover the growing funding gap.

Dimple said during interview day that they do accept many more IS applicants; however, for many of them "although CU makes it a priority to get them in, actually going to CU may not be their number one priority." My pre-health advisor also said that CU is trying to build more of a national reputation, perhaps by accepting more OOS applicants in the past. They want people from around the country to want come to Colorado. Of course, that sucks for IS applicants.

The 2012 data suggest that IS applicants are much more likely to get invited to an interview than OOS applicants. However, at the interview stage, IS applicants no longer have any significant advantage. The chances of being accepted are 42 percent versus 39 percent in favor of IS applicants, not the most comforting odds for Colorado residents. I'm not familiar with how this compares with other state medical schools, though.

Living in Texas, where the state schools are legally required to take no more than 10% of their class from the non-resident pile (and most take ~5-7%), it's a different world. Even Baylor gets some state funds, so about 75% of their class every year is IS.

CU is trying to build more of a national reputation, perhaps by accepting more OOS applicants in the past. They want people from around the country to want come to Colorado. Of course, that sucks for IS applicants.

THIS. CU wants to be a bigger name. Bringing in more OOS also boosts their numbers.

They also are desperate to increase diversity which I think also brings in more OOS students.

THIS. CU wants to be a bigger name. Bringing in more OOS also boosts their numbers.

They also are desperate to increase diversity which I think also brings in more OOS students.

What kind of diversity are you talking about? Geographic diversity? I think among most measures Colorado is pretty diverse.

If I don't hear anything by this weekend, I'm withdrawing my application.

What kind of diversity are you talking about? Geographic diversity? I think among most measures Colorado is pretty diverse.

Racial diversity was a big focus of Dr. Winn. Also "geographic diversity" is a big thing for them too, but that's just to sound good for not having more IS students IMO.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/...y-colorado-medical-school-heals-diversity-gap

Also, this article about $ and diversity is from 2 years ago:
http://www.denverpost.com/newsheadlines/ci_15143554

Last edited:
Racial diversity was a big focus of Dr. Winn. Also "geographic diversity" is a big thing for them too, but that's just just to sound good for not having more IS students IMO.

http://www.denverpost.com/business/...y-colorado-medical-school-heals-diversity-gap

I definitely agree with you about geographic diversity. I personally think that should be at the bottom of the list of things by which to consider applicants to a state medical school. I was just confused about the racial diversity point because Colorado seems to be a pretty racially diverse state, at least compared to many other nearby states. It's one of the factors leading to Obama's wins here in '08 and '12.

Anybody have info on estimated response time from CU via email in these unsavory days?

My optimism is waning. If they're going to string anyone along, is it going to be the people they're planning on accepting?

I created an account just to join the conversation between Celine and Micheal Scott, but I fear I'm too late. I'd like to hear some recommendations for keeping busy while waiting for the slow train... another week and I will have used all measures of self-deprecation possible.

Yesterday I called the admissions office and asked about my status. I was told there is a pool of about 50 students who are still getting reviewed. When I asked her how many acceptances had already been given, all she said was, "Oh - we still have a lot of open seats." I then wanted to ask, "You've had my file for 9 months and my interview impressions for 7. What more could you possibly learn by going over it a few more times?" But, left that thought out...

Today I just got an email saying April 12 is the new deadline. 10 bucks says they push that back, too.

I created an account just to join the conversation between Celine and Micheal Scott, but I fear I'm too late. I'd like to hear some recommendations for keeping busy while waiting for the slow train... another week and I will have used all measures of self-deprecation possible.

Welcome, Mr. Bean.

Healthy distractions include (but are not limited to) exercising 30-60 min/day, limiting your Internet/smartphone access, engaging your community by volunteering, and plenty of hearty roughage.

My approach: throwing a shoe at the computer screen when CU emails to say it'll be another week, booze, and re-runs of Alaska State Troopers.

Cheers. :)

Yesterday I called the admissions office and asked about my status. I was told there is a pool of about 50 students who are still getting reviewed. When I asked her how many acceptances had already been given, all she said was, "Oh - we still have a lot of open seats." I then wanted to ask, "You've had my file for 9 months and my interview impressions for 7. What more could you possibly learn by going over it a few more times?" But, left that thought out...

Today I just got an email saying April 12 is the new deadline. 10 bucks says they push that back, too.

I gather this means that those of us waitlisted last Thursday aren't exactly on the "high waitlist" (not that there is one officially anymore).

Interesting, given that the waitlist e-mail begins thusly:

The Committee on Admissions at the University of Colorado School of Medicine has completed its selection of applicants for the 2013 entering class.

*sigh*

Last edited:
On the contrary, I think the opposite. Wishful thinking? Probably lol

Those who haven't heard are either on the front-end of the waitlist or the tail-end. The front-end scenario has admissions whittling down the list to who will be accepted and who will be waitlisted, whereas the tail-end scenario has them whittling it down to who will be waistlisted and who will be rejected. I doubt the remaining pool contains both rejects and acceptances whenever CU pulls their _______ out of their ________ and lets us know what's what.

To those who haven't heard yet, how do y'all feel your interviews went?

My first was a nightmare. Guy was essentially trying to trip me up with super in depth questions about research I had done 2 years prior, kept correcting me when I attempted to tell him about my "philosophy of medicine", etc.

Second one was better, she almost exclusively asked about policy regarding UHC and we seemed to be on the same page with a lot of things.

In all, probably the worst of my 6 interview days though. Felt very discouraged and unwanted at the end of the day despite some great tour guides and Dr Winn.

Whatever you do, don't suddenly take up extreme body modification. I know it's tempting to let loose after all the interviews, but some things last forever. They go on and onnnnnn.

My first was a nightmare. Guy was essentially trying to trip me up with super in depth questions about research I had done 2 years prior, kept correcting me when I attempted to tell him about my "philosophy of medicine", etc.

Second one was better, she almost exclusively asked about policy regarding UHC and we seemed to be on the same page with a lot of things.

In all, probably the worst of my 6 interview days though. Felt very discouraged and unwanted at the end of the day despite some great tour guides and Dr Winn.

Harrumph. Obviously you're a qualified cat with six interview invites, so I'm guessing whatever perceived negative vibe you felt from the first interview was overcome with a strong application otherwise.

Anyone else?!

Harrumph. Obviously you're a qualified cat with six interview invites, so I'm guessing whatever perceived negative vibe you felt from the first interview was overcome with a strong application otherwise.

Anyone else?!

I never thought I had a bad interview over the whole cycle, but CU was the worst. Hands down. That's why this is so confusing. My interview w/ the student was fantastic--not only professional but our bizarre paths to medicine created a nice bond. The 2nd interview was...chilly. He was pretty dismissive of my commitment to medicine and liked politically charged questions to boot...and I got the vibe that he didn't agree w/ all my responses...

I specifically recall leaving campus that October day and thinking, "That's a quick rejection." Hence the confusion.

Anyone else?!

Thought both of mine went well, probably the best of the 3 interview sessions I had. I have still only heard that the date got pushed back to the 12th. Let's hope it's the front-end with the acceptance-waitlist pile sitting in a broom closet somewhere on campus.

Speak, Celine, into our darkness & confusion:

Life, it can twist your heart
Put you in the dark
I was cold and lonely

Doubt, it can close you in
Build the walls within
I let fear control me
And that girl didn't know
Where the answer would be

Right in front of you
Right in front of me
We were looking for it somehow
Somewhere we couldn't see

Rejected, fantastic that they strung that along for that amount of time to send a rejection. OOS 36 4.0, good luck to the rest of you! Make sure and climb one of those 14ers for me!

Waitlisted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using SDN Mobile

Since April 20 is coming up, I'm just curious: when do we start getting tested for...substances? I'm asking on behalf of a friend...:luck:

Feel like Jackie Chan did this to my ego....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xECx-42Wlho[/YOUTUBE]

Status
Not open for further replies.