2012-2013 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Yale thread ;)

This is so incredibly awkward. I thought I clicked the Penn thread! Good catch KDizzle. Unquote my nonsense :laugh: It's been a long year :p

Eh, Yale is moving to 1.5 year preclerkship for this year's applicant cycle, so they're basically the same now :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone called to see their tier on the wait list? Or will they send an email to the waitlisted applicants in a few days?

Just got off the waitlist via phone call. Incandescently happy. :)

Class of 2017!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone called to see their tier on the wait list? Or will they send an email to the waitlisted applicants in a few days?

If I remember correctly, they'll send all waitlisted applicants an email in coming days. I know I hated hearing this a few weeks ago, but seriously don't give up hope!

Does anyone know when exactly we will receive the tier email? It seems like in past years it could be sent out right around May 15th or more than a week later. It's frustrating that the tier system is supposed to add more transparency to this process, yet if your ranking is made known after the main wait list movement, it doesn't give you much time to act accordingly (i.e. send letters of intent to other schools).
Clearly, this wait is killing me.

Just got off the waitlist via phone call. Incandescently happy. :)

Class of 2017!
Didn't mean to be turn the conversation away from your exciting news... Congrats, imnamerican!! Probably nothing better than that phone call

OMG got an acceptance call today during lunch at work!!!!! O.O

OMG got an acceptance call today during lunch at work!!!!! O.O

See you this fall? :)

YSM's financial aid is totally baller. Was totally expecting a depressing package of loans this late in the cycle, and I was floored by their offer.

See you this fall? :)

YSM's financial aid is totally baller. Was totally expecting a depressing package of loans this late in the cycle, and I was floored by their offer.

Hell yeah! Absolutely floored by my financial aid package, definitely matriculating this fall!!

Btw imnamerican we have a lot in common...I was originally planning on attending Dartmouth too lol.

Hell yeah! Absolutely floored by my financial aid package, definitely matriculating this fall!!

:highfive:

Btw imnamerican we have a lot in common...I was originally planning on attending Dartmouth too lol.

That's true! I don't have an mdapps, but we also have the same MCAT score and were on the hook still at Vandy/Baylor. :eek:

:highfive:

That's true! I don't have an mdapps, but we also have the same MCAT score and were on the hook still at Vandy/Baylor. :eek:

Oh haha wow how funny! :) Look forward to meeting you in August! :soexcited:

Eh, Yale is moving to 1.5 year preclerkship for this year's applicant cycle, so they're basically the same now :laugh:

I looked at the curriculum website but don't see this reflected. Was this stated at Second Look or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked at the curriculum website but don't see this reflected. Was this stated at Second Look or something?

Yes. This was mentioned at Second Look. Yale will be moving into a 1.5 +2.5 style curriculum for the entering class of 2014.

It wasn't just mentioned... It was discussed to a significant extent. yes this is definitely happening and it seems like Yale is doing everything it can to make the transition as seamless as possible.

Got off the waitlist yesterday(got an email from Director Silverman Friday saying to call him on Monday). Still undecided...Yale is so amazing...

Got off the waitlist yesterday(got an email from Director Silverman Friday saying to call him on Monday). Still undecided...Yale is so amazing...

Congrats! And good luck with your decision. I got that email yesterday, so I'll be calling him today. Did he have your financial aid package ready, by any chance? I love Yale too, but I can't justify it unless they give me a ton of money.

Congrats! And good luck with your decision. I got that email yesterday, so I'll be calling him today. Did he have your financial aid package ready, by any chance? I love Yale too, but I can't justify it unless they give me a ton of money.

They didn't immediately have it available but from my conversation with him it sounded like they can get it to you quickly if its important to your decision. I ended up withdrawing this morning, sad but I think it was the best decision for me. Good luck to everyone else waiting and congrats to everyone attending Yale!

They didn't immediately have it available but from my conversation with him it sounded like they can get it to you quickly if its important to your decision. I ended up withdrawing this morning, sad but I think it was the best decision for me. Good luck to everyone else waiting and congrats to everyone attending Yale!

Cool, thanks.

They are indeed very quick with fin aid packages. I called back the same day I received the email and got my financial aid the next day!

Does anyone know when exactly we will receive the tier email? It seems like in past years it could be sent out right around May 15th or more than a week later. It's frustrating that the tier system is supposed to add more transparency to this process, yet if your ranking is made known after the main wait list movement, it doesn't give you much time to act accordingly (i.e. send letters of intent to other schools).
Clearly, this wait is killing me.

Any tier updates? It'd be nice to have a little clarity about where we stand, especially given consistent waitlist movement over the last week.

Does anybody know if the Yale student budget includes health insurance? I found the budget online, but I'm not sure if health insurance is included in "Yale Hospitalization and Misc. Medical Expenses," or if you have to pay extra to be on the student health plan.

Another question. I'm trying to figure out how Yale's "unit loan" concept works. Say Yale indicates I should take out the unit $25,000 in loans, but I actually end up getting an informal loan for, say, $10,000 from someone in my extended family, so I only take out $15,000 in school/federal loans. What happens next year? Will the financial aid office see that I came up with that extra $10,000 from somewhere, and as a result stick an extra $10,000 into my parent contribution (and reduce my scholarship by that amount) for subsequent years? Is that something I need to worry about?

Another question. I'm trying to figure out how Yale's "unit loan" concept works. Say Yale indicates I should take out the unit $25,000 in loans, but I actually end up getting an informal loan for, say, $10,000 from someone in my extended family, so I only take out $15,000 in school/federal loans. What happens next year? Will the financial aid office see that I came up with that extra $10,000 from somewhere, and as a result stick an extra $10,000 into my parent contribution (and reduce my scholarship by that amount) for subsequent years? Is that something I need to worry about?

I actually asked a similar question this morning to the fin aid office. In short, it will probably not be in your favor to take the informal loan. If you just decide to decline $10,000 out of the unit loan, you will get none of the need-based scholarship they will offer, which for most people is an awful tradeoff. If you want to take out a family loan and still keep the need-based scholarship, you need to come up with a promissory (some sort of legal document confirming the terms of the loan, not entirely sure how this is done) before it can replace a portion of the loans in your package.

I also asked what would happen if I took the full $25000 unit loan and just immediately paid $10000 off with my family loan (assuming I didn't go with the promissory route), and the aid officer seemed to indicate that this would result in a readjustment of my package (not in my favor) because my calculated "need" would decrease. It sounded like it had something to do with Yale not being able to verify that it's actually a loan you're using to pay it off, so they by default consider it to be akin to just money you have lying around...?

Does anybody know if the Yale student budget includes health insurance? I found the budget online, but I'm not sure if health insurance is included in "Yale Hospitalization and Misc. Medical Expenses," or if you have to pay extra to be on the student health plan.

Did a bit of quick reading in the student handbook for health stuff (http://yalehealth.yale.edu/understand-your-coverage):

So just by being a Yale student, you get basic primary care coverage for free (Yale Health Basic). You need to come up with coverage for "hospitalization and specialty care," which you can either do through Yale or through your own provider.

The way "Yale Hospitalization and Misc. Medical Expenses" is itemized in the budget, I'm led to assume that this is the hospitalization and specialty care coverage that comes on top of the free primary care coverage. Perhaps a current student can clarify.

Edit: So the rates for the extra Yale coverage are $2040 a year (http://yalehealth.yale.edu/student-rates), so the quoted $2340 in the budget could reasonably be the $2040 for the health insurance coverage and $300 for costs incurred before starting school like required vaccinations for matriculation, etc (Misc. Medical Expenses). Still, this is all conjecture.

Last edited:
imnamerican, thanks so much for the responses! Just what I was looking for. And Mr. Silverman confirmed that the $2340 does indeed include the Yale Health Plan.

And I don't know exactly how much trouble it is to get a promissory note, but that does sound like a viable option to replace some of those unsubsidized loans. (And it sounds like doing so won't adversely affect your financial aid in subsequent years?)

imnamerican, thanks so much for the responses! Just what I was looking for. And Mr. Silverman confirmed that the $2340 does indeed include the Yale Health Plan.

Great! Thanks for the follow-up.

And I don't know exactly how much trouble it is to get a promissory note, but that does sound like a viable option to replace some of those unsubsidized loans. (And it sounds like doing so won't adversely affect your financial aid in subsequent years?)

The aid officer I spoke with did not indicate that it would adversely affect your financial aid in future years if you went with the promissory note. That said, I'm unsure if you're able to specifically request that Yale remove the unsubsidized loans and replace it with your family loan. I know that when you get a scholarship, they take away from the Yale Alumni loan first because it technically has a higher interest rate (but is subsidized during school) before it even touches the unsubsidized loans. So they might conceivably replace the subsidized Alumni loan with your family loan instead of the unsubsidized ones.

Yeah, the unsubsidized loan makes me a bit uneasy, as well, but I'm also not convinced it's worth the trouble to replace it since the bulk of my loans are still subsidized.

Great! Thanks for the follow-up.

The aid officer I spoke with did not indicate that it would adversely affect your financial aid in future years if you went with the promissory note. That said, I'm unsure if you're able to specifically request that Yale remove the unsubsidized loans and replace it with your family loan. I know that when you get a scholarship, they take away from the Yale Alumni loan first because it technically has a higher interest rate (but is subsidized during school) before it even touches the unsubsidized loans. So they might conceivably replace the subsidized Alumni loan with your family loan instead of the unsubsidized ones.

Yeah, the unsubsidized loan makes me a bit uneasy, as well, but I'm also not convinced it's worth the trouble to replace it since the bulk of my loans are still subsidized.

According to Mr. Silverman, if you get a loan from your family or from somewhere else, you can choose to have it replace the unsubsidized loans. Hopefully that is correct, even though he is not a financial aid officer.

According to Mr. Silverman, if you get a loan from your family or from somewhere else, you can choose to have it replace the unsubsidized loans. Hopefully that is correct, even though he is not a financial aid officer.

Good to know. Perhaps that changes things, then. :)

I can see why this decision is difficult for you, though most would be pretty hard-pressed to turn down your offer from Penn. Good luck with your decision!

Good to know. Perhaps that changes things, then. :)

I can see why this decision is difficult for you, though most would be pretty hard-pressed to turn down your offer from Penn. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks. This decision is breaking my heart. I love Yale so much, and they actually gave me an amazing financial aid package, but it's probably going to cost me a fraction more per year than Penn, and I just can't justify that. :( My parents (who will be helping me) aren't thrilled with the idea either.

Thanks. This decision is breaking my heart. I love Yale so much, and they actually gave me an amazing financial aid package, but it's probably going to cost me a fraction more per year than Penn, and I just can't justify that. :( My parents (who will be helping me) aren't thrilled with the idea either.

Ouch... yeah, Yale has always been at the top of my list, but the extra financial burden I'd have to put on my parents (if I were in your case) might give me second thoughts, as well.

Perhaps the only thing is that the culture and philosophy of medical education at Yale is so unique and genuinely fits who I am right now and the type of teaching physician I hope to become, so I might actually feel like I'd get a tangible benefit out of the extra cost. But, of course, this isn't for everyone, and I think it'd be a perfectly reasonable decision to choose otherwise.

You should tell them about your full-tuition scholarship to Penn and maybe they'll cough up the difference if you truly would prefer to be at Yale! :laugh: If the cost were equal and you had gotten into both in March, where would you have chosen?

Any word on when we'll get the email about wait list rank? I'm getting so impatient!

Got off the waitlist this morning! so psyched. I got an email from Director Silverman telling me to call him.

I asked last week, and Silverman said that they'd send out ranking stuff this week. They're delayed due to Memorial Day.

I called on Friday and Silverman said we'd get the email on Tuesday!

Yeah, that is disappointing. Plus the waitlist continues to move. Not giving up hope yet, but definitely wrapping my head around other options more seriously.

At this point there isn't much of a reason to even send out the rankings. Im sure they've already moved through most of the people they would accept.

That's true, although this process is somewhat cyclical. They've lost some people to the first round of movement, but so have other schools. There will be another (smaller) round of movement sometime in the not-to-distant future and then there will be a small deferral round at the beginning of July. You are probably right, though.

So much for getting the email on Tuesday...

Tell me about it :confused: Has anyone else tried to call?

And I've always heard that most waitlist movement happens in June. All but one of the five people I know at Yale got in off the waitlist so don't give up hope yet...?

I called the office on Tuesday and they said the tier email will be out sometime this week.
Fingers crossed and prayers said!

Bets on if we get the email today? I'm getting more and more anxious as the days go by...

Well, it looks like they're making us wait over the weekend again. I don't understand why it's taking them so long!! It seems like a pretty easy email to just blast out to everyone.

Anyone tier 1 or tier 3, or was only a tier 2 email sent out yesterday?

I called in today and Dean Silverman said that they are already in tier 2. But for now the class seems to be full. He think there will however still be a little movement as a few people each year defer or opt to go to another school. He said he will now more in a week or two. Vague but still this information gives a modicum of hope to cling to.

I was told much the same. Weird how he described tier 3 in his email, given how little future movement he expects.

Status
Not open for further replies.