2012-2013 Yale University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boom! Rejected. Saw that coming a mile away :).

Members don't see this ad.

Reeeejected! Congrats to those of you who got in. Try to join the 'brain society' for me. :)

Accepted for MD/PhD!! Awesome. Probably withdrawing from everywhere else but Mayo and Stanford.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted but planning to withdraw later today! Secretly hope either Wangers or Tots can have my place because you guys have been fun to follow on the application cycle and will make fantastic Yale physicians (but of course I'd be just as pleased if anyone else's day was made!).

Good luck everyone and I hope you all end up where you were meant to :luck: :thumbup:

Accepted but planning to withdraw later today! Secretly hope either Wangers or Tots can have my place because you guys have been fun to follow on the application cycle and will make fantastic Yale physicians (but of course I'd be just as pleased if anyone else's day was made!).

Good luck everyone and I hope you all end up where you were meant to :luck: :thumbup:

:laugh:! Best of luck wherever you matriculate!

I'm hoping there's a good amount of waitlist movement this year! I think the universe is trying to teach me a lesson in patience! :laugh:

Waitlisted too....Anyone knows whether we send the LOI to Mr. Silverman or just upload it on the AMP system?

I'm hoping there's a good amount of waitlist movement this year! I think the universe is trying to teach me a lesson in patience! :laugh:

wow...I think it is awesome that you can keep a light hearted attitude towards the WL, I really respect that. Just keep that attitude and you will make a great surgeon someday. I really hope you get in off the waitlist, dancingsurgeon!

Yay accepted! Just one more decision left before the cycle is officially over! Got the email at 2:55 PM today, interviewed in mid-October.

Yay accepted! Just one more decision left before the cycle is officially over! Got the email at 2:55 PM today, interviewed in mid-October.

KDizzle you are really beasting it, aren't you? Congrats!

GL to those on the waitlist :luck:

Rejected, no interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment on waiting list size and movement? Or whether or not Yale initially over-accepts? I've found some contradictory posts on past years threads.

Yale was amazing. I'm hoping for a little wait list movement, but I won't be holding my breath.

Congrats c/o 2017! Definitely come check out second look! :thumbup:

Can anyone comment on waiting list size and movement? Or whether or not Yale initially over-accepts? I've found some contradictory posts on past years threads.

Yale was amazing. I'm hoping for a little wait list movement, but I won't be holding my breath.

+1 would appreciate any info on this as well

+1 would appreciate any info on this as well

I'm pretty sure the sheet they gave us said they accept 133 men and 133 women for a class of 100. I don't know if this was including eventual wait-list acceptees though. Sorry. Not much help!

I'm pretty sure the sheet they gave us said they accept 133 men and 133 women for a class of 100. I don't know if this was including eventual wait-list acceptees though. Sorry. Not much help!

yea, it looks like they definitely over-accept based on the info sheet given at the interview. on the waitlist letter, they said they anticipate around 25% of the class from the waitlist...25 spots isn't bad! i'm just trying to stay optimistic! :) congrats to everyone accepted, and good luck to the rest on the waitlist...we can make it through the next few months!

yea, it looks like they definitely over-accept based on the info sheet given at the interview. on the waitlist letter, they said they anticipate around 25% of the class from the waitlist...25 spots isn't bad! i'm just trying to stay optimistic! :) congrats to everyone accepted, and good luck to the rest on the waitlist...we can make it through the next few months!

Yeah, and I bet they offer more than 25 people on the waitlist but some turn them down? yes? hurrah?

Yeah, and I bet they offer more than 25 people on the waitlist but some turn them down? yes? hurrah?

25 spots out of how many waitlisted applicants? And is the tier 1 tier 2 thing true? How would you know how high you are on their ranking?

I believe this is for the total number of acceptances, The yield is 40% so that would make sense.m

Was the 25% thing mentioned in the snail mail letter? Didn't see it in my email.

Was the 25% thing mentioned in the snail mail letter? Didn't see it in my email.

When you go to the Yale online app, there's a similar version of the email text above the check boxes where you choose to accept/deny the waitlist spot. They mention the 25% there :)

Naturally the day I contemplate withdrawing my acceptance is the day Yale decides to send out its absolutely disgusting 2013 match list.

Dear Director Silverman,
what-you-did-there-i-see-it-fixed.jpg

How long do we have to contemplate whether or not we want to stay on the waitlist? Decisions came out this week, so I would reason that we have at least until next week to think about it.

Naturally the day I contemplate withdrawing my acceptance is the day Yale decides to send out its absolutely disgusting 2013 match list.

Dear Director Silverman,

Lol yeah. The match results for 2013 is phenomenal.

Last edited:
Hi

First time Posting to SDN (but I've been stalking this tread for a while now ;-)

Does anyone know of any good locations to live thats kinda half-way between Providence RI and New Haven ? And does anyone know how's the transit between those two places?

I have family in Providence. I don't want live with them but would love to be close to the fam. Any current YSM students in this situation? Any advice?

Thanks!

Dear Director Silverman,

Hahaha I know exactly how you feel! After a lot of thought, I am withdrawing my Yale acceptance later today in favor of Columbia. It was a hard decision but I don't want to sit on someone else's potential acceptance for too long. Good luck guys!

Hahaha I know exactly how you feel! After a lot of thought, I am withdrawing my Yale acceptance later today in favor of Columbia. It was a hard decision but I don't want to sit on someone else's potential acceptance for too long. Good luck guys!

Awesome :D Enjoy Columbia!

Deadline for financial aid application is March 22, 2013? http://medicine.yale.edu/education/finaid/index.aspx

It's so soon. I don't think I can submit by then... Has everyone else already submitted theirs?

------edit----

"We recommend that applicants who plan to apply for financial aid have their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)and Need Access Application (if applicable) on file with us before the time of acceptance."

wow, definitely did not do that...

Deadline for financial aid application is March 22, 2013? http://medicine.yale.edu/education/finaid/index.aspx

It's so soon. I don't think I can submit by then... Has everyone else already submitted theirs?

------edit----

"We recommend that applicants who plan to apply for financial aid have their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)and Need Access Application (if applicable) on file with us before the time of acceptance."

wow, definitely did not do that...

So I've been talking to fin aid for a week and know the low down. They can spot you a few days after march 22 since they are swamped right now anyway.

Get your FAFSA, yale insitutional app and need access done now. Make sure you import IRS info into FAFSA electronically using the PIN thing. All of this is electronic.

Then print out copies of your 1040, your parents 1040, and the Yale certification form. Sign the Yale cert form and last pages of the 1040s. Scan these in and electronically email your signed 1040s, all of you and your parents w2s, and your Yale cert form to the fin aid office.

This is how you can electronically submit everything before Friday

Same here...pulling out in favor of Columbia P&S now since I can't make second look. Good luck all! Seems like several people are starting to withdraw so hopefully there will be some waitlist movement soon. Hope an SDNer gets my spot!

For anyone who has applied for financial aid and done the "certification of information" form, do we need to enter anything for our "Yale ID Number"?

When's a good time to send the letter of intent and who do we address it to? Dean Silverman?

When's a good time to send the letter of intent and who do we address it to? Dean Silverman?

I would say anytime!! More importantly, Silverman is the director of admissions, not the dean. Dr Laura Ment is the Yale Dean of Admissions who signs acceptance letters.

I would say anytime!! More importantly, Silverman is the director of admissions, not the dean. Dr Laura Ment is the Yale Dean of Admissions who signs acceptance letters.

thank you mystifire, especially for pointing out that mistake :D

Does it matter to whom an LOI should be sent ? The Dean or Dr. Silverman?

Took myself off the waitlist. Good luck to everyone else!

Also took myself off the waitlist. Matriculating at UCSF!

Also took myself off the waitlist. Matriculating at UCSF!

Congrats! You have to have been the best applicant of this year with your success stories. UCSF will be lucky to have you.

And for the record, Yale f'd up if it was truly your first choice school (and ironically the only one to waitlist you).

I am submitting my applications next month and I am doing some research about med schools and Yale is one of my top choices. I have some questions about the school that aren't answered on MSAR and I can't find on their site. Is this the right place to ask them?

Does anyone know if, like last year, we are going to be told which tier we're in come May 15th? It wasn't in my wait list letter so was wondering if anyone spoke with admissions and got a date for when that information will be sent out?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if, like last year, we are going to be told which tier we're in come May 15th? It wasn't in my wait list letter so was wondering if anyone spoke with admissions and got a date for when that information will be sent out?

Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate message!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.