-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I think that update letters are acceptable and will be added to your file. Pre-interview letters of interest, however, are probably worthless.
Is that specific to Dartmouth, or are you making that judgment based on general experience? Because I've gotten 2 at other schools suspiciously close to right after I sent in letters
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent in an update letter last week regarding a recent publication, here's the reply:Anyone know the deal with sending pre-interview app updates? I'm complete but neither rejected nor invited yet. I got a new job I'd like them to know about.
"Thank you! I have added your update to your file."
So I think it's fine to send update letters. However, I was complete in mid-Aug, but haven't heard anything ever since. GL!

Where is everyone staying the night before interviews? Is there a student host program? 😕
You should get a second email with the hosting information. I emailed someone from the list and had a place within a day.
You should get a second email with the hosting information. I emailed someone from the list and had a place within a day.
Thanks, not sure how I missed that
I sent in an update letter last week regarding a recent publication, here's the reply:Anyone know the deal with sending pre-interview app updates? I'm complete but neither rejected nor invited yet. I got a new job I'd like them to know about.
"Thank you! I have added your update to your file."
So I think it's fine to send update letters. However, I was complete in mid-Aug, but haven't heard anything ever since. GL!

I sent in an update letter last week regarding a recent publication, here's the reply:Anyone know the deal with sending pre-interview app updates? I'm complete but neither rejected nor invited yet. I got a new job I'd like them to know about.
"Thank you! I have added your update to your file."
So I think it's fine to send update letters. However, I was complete in mid-Aug, but haven't heard anything ever since. GL!

Is that specific to Dartmouth, or are you making that judgment based on general experience? Because I've gotten 2 at other schools suspiciously close to right after I sent in letters
My statement was based on general observations. Now this is just me speculating, but I believe that schools who receive a LOT of applicants may be receptive to letters of interest simply because they have a lot more people to sift through to determine II and acceptances. Other schools may see them as a desperate attempt to butter them up, unless of course you have a good reason to be so interested in their school.
Example: I'm from CA with no real ties to Dartmouth, so sending them a letter saying I'm really interested in their school with no evidence could seem dishonest. However, someone who went their for undergrad could definitely send a pre interview letter explaining why they regard the Dartmouth program so highly.
II. So exciting 😀
When were you complete?
so if my application homepage says "Your secondary application has been received and is in process." but I never got a complete email from dartmouth, am I still complete? I submitted 9/9
I got a complete email 10 days after submitting.
so if my application homepage says "Your secondary application has been received and is in process." but I never got a complete email from dartmouth, am I still complete? I submitted 9/9
.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Was this an email invite or on-line status change?Interview Invite! Complete early July!
Went from all green lights to a red light on my rec. letters even though it'd been set for over a month now...
Went from all green lights to a red light on my rec. letters even though it'd been set for over a month now...
+1. I'm guessing it's something innocuous like a server issue and will be resolved by morning.
+1. I'm guessing it's something innocuous like a server issue and will be resolved by morning.
Honestly would rather it be some kind of decision coming down the tubes, good or bad. So sick of all this silence.
Finally got to submitting my secondary, I am so late I could cry.
They were actually pretty fast about everything other than hearing back, but that could be my stats so.
Went from all green lights to a red light on my rec. letters even though it'd been set for over a month now...
I'm r/g colorblind so I have no idea what you're talking about

I'm r/g colorblind so I have no idea what you're talking about![]()
Wow, I never thought about that....
Wow, I never thought about that....
You should see me try to drive 😉
Every light's a yellow light!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone OOSers (especially California) want to share their travel/lodging plans? Since i'm from Cali, this interview will most likely be a 3 day excursion if i'm flying into Boston Logan from LAX.
CA applicant here. I flew into Boston Logan and took the Dartmouth Coach straight to campus (stops in front of Hanover Inn). Hanover Inn is relatively expensive, so to save money look for a hotel in White River Junction, West Lebanon, or Lebanon. The bus system there was very reliable when I visited; the stops are on time +- a minute and the drivers are extremely friendly and helpful. Just tell them you need to get to Dartmouth campus and they'll let you know.
PM if you'd like more details. Best of luck!
Interview invite!
AMCAS verified: 7/31
Added Dartmouth to AMCAS: 9/29
Secondary received and submitted: 9/30
Interview invite received: 10/7
Planned interview date: 11/19
MCAT: 32N
sGPA: 3.75
CA resident
Biochemistry B.S.
Non-trad student (25 yrs old, ~350 qrtr units)
Good luck to everyone during the rest of the application process.
AMCAS verified: 7/31
Added Dartmouth to AMCAS: 9/29
Secondary received and submitted: 9/30
Interview invite received: 10/7
Planned interview date: 11/19
MCAT: 32N
sGPA: 3.75
CA resident
Biochemistry B.S.
Non-trad student (25 yrs old, ~350 qrtr units)
Good luck to everyone during the rest of the application process.
Jeez I've been complete with them since the end of August. 🙁
Jeez I've been complete with them since the end of August. 🙁
I've been complete since late July..
I've been complete since late July..
So cold.
Dartmouth does first few rejections at the end of October so we will at least have closure sooner than later.
I've been complete since late July..
Complete since mid July. Seriously debating if I should send a letter for updates.
So cold.
I'm interpreting it as a rejection cause I know Dartmouth does rejections via the silent treatment
Dartmouth does first few rejections at the end of October so we will at least have closure sooner than later.
Oo that's nice to know
I'm interpreting it as a rejection cause I know Dartmouth does rejections via the silent treatment
What - no notification at all?
I'm interpreting it as a rejection cause I know Dartmouth does rejections via the silent treatment
I feel like if you're paying however much for the secondary fee, it should include some kind of notification...
Wow, fast turnaround. You must have a very unique application. Congrats!
I was quite surprised by this quick turn around as well. I am a very non-trad applicatn
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been complete since late July..
I win. I've been completely since July 3
. Absolutely zero communication since then.However, Dartmouth is my dream/mega-reach school... so I'm expecting to be one of the first on here to let you guys know when rejections start going out 😉
I win. I've been completely since July 3. Absolutely zero communication since then.
However, Dartmouth is my dream/mega-reach school... so I'm expecting to be one of the first on here to let you guys know when rejections start going out 😉
I was complete at the end of July and received an interview invite about a month ago and attended the interview a couple of weeks ago. I was told during my interview that Geisel is very receptive to letters of intent. So, if you want to go here, write the admissions office and sell yourself to them.
I was complete at the end of July and received an interview invite about a month ago and attended the interview a couple of weeks ago. I was told during my interview that Geisel is very receptive to letters of intent. So, if you want to go here, write the admissions office and sell yourself to them.
Good to know. This is my dream school also.
Thanks for the advice. I actually have a draft saved in my Gmail... maybe I'll revisit that and send it in!I was complete at the end of July and received an interview invite about a month ago and attended the interview a couple of weeks ago. I was told during my interview that Geisel is very receptive to letters of intent. So, if you want to go here, write the admissions office and sell yourself to them.
No problem. It will not hurt you to explicitly state your interest in the school, so I really encourage you to take that step if you are genuine about it being a top choice. Be specific about your reasons and relate your desires to something unique about the medical school or area that you believe will uniquely benefit you and/or you it. You got this.