You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm going to be applying for medical schools this spring and John Hopkins is my dream school.... If you all don't mind, can those of you who were accepted or wait listed mention your stats (gpa and mcat scores)? I just want to know if I will have a chance of getting accepted to this school. Thanks in advance!
I'm going to be applying for medical schools this spring and John Hopkins is my dream school.... If you all don't mind, can those of you who were accepted or wait listed mention your stats (gpa and mcat scores)? I just want to know if I will have a chance of getting accepted to this school. Thanks in advance!
My info is in my MDApp (linked on the left below avatar) if you're curious.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm going to be applying for medical schools this spring and John Hopkins is my dream school.... If you all don't mind, can those of you who were accepted or wait listed mention your stats (gpa and mcat scores)? I just want to know if I will have a chance of getting accepted to this school. Thanks in advance!
My MDApps info is also linked. I had a 30 (10/10/10) MCAT, 3.87 GPA/3.66scGPA and I agree that statistics are a good way to estimate the range of schools that you apply to but the other statistics like your clinical experiences, research, other activities and the interview itself also can make a real difference. God speed!
I definitely agree that experience also counts, I have tons of experience, just worried about the mcats, I have not yet taken it, so I just wanted to know the range of scores for those accepted. Thanks for the reply!My MDApps info is also linked. I had a 30 (10/10/10) MCAT, 3.87 GPA/3.66scGPA and I agree that statistics are a good way to estimate the range of schools that you apply to but the other statistics like your clinical experiences, research, other activities and the interview itself also can make a real difference. God speed!
Recently accepted students:
Quote from a recent email:
Does this mean that we have to "accept" the acceptance in order to get a financial aid award?
Quote from a recent email:
Please note that the Financial Aid Office will not be able to process your award until you have submitted the on-line statement of intent and entered your social security number.
Does this mean that we have to "accept" the acceptance in order to get a financial aid award?
I hope everyone enjoyed their time at second-look! I have posted here before, but I am a first year student and will gladly answer any specific questions to the best of my abilities. PM me if necessary.
So I just received the email asking me to verify that I would like to stay on the waitlist. The email also reads that:haha. so true. waitlisted as well. Worst thing is that they don't care about letters and such since their waitlist seems ranked as they said. have you bothered sending anything in?
"You do not need to submit any additional recommendations or other documents to the Admissions Office."
Not sure if that's a hint against submitting additional info, or just an FYI about requirements...
Did you figure this out? I don't think medical schools are allowed to ask for final decisions before offering financial aid.Recently accepted students:
Quote from a recent email:
Please note that the Financial Aid Office will not be able to process your award until you have submitted the on-line statement of intent and entered your social security number.
Does this mean that we have to "accept" the acceptance in order to get a financial aid award?
I bet that they are asking you to send in your ~$100 deposit and tentative (non-binding) "yes" before disclosing aid. I think this only happens if you received your acceptance really close to the financial aid date.
Oh yeah. I submitted my statement of intent so JHU could get the financial aid going while I asked for an decision deadline extension at my other school. I'm not sure about you, but I wasn't asked for a deposit.Did you figure this out? I don't think medical schools are allowed to ask for final decisions before offering financial aid.
I bet that they are asking you to send in your ~$100 deposit and tentative (non-binding) "yes" before disclosing aid. I think this only happens if you received your acceptance really close to the financial aid date.
Oh. Yea, I wasn't asked for one either...Oh yeah. I submitted my statement of intent so JHU could get the financial aid going while I asked for an decision deadline extension at my other school. I'm not sure about you, but I wasn't asked for a deposit.
I received a thank you, but I emailed mine.So is there supposed to be some confirmation that they received the wait list acceptance form?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I LOVE the financial aid department here. I almost withdrew bc my FA package was dismal. I went to talk to them about it, and the first thing they mention is that they need to correct it (because I filled out my NeedAccess wrong). After a few magical workings of the financial aid worker, the aid estimate was really quite amazing -- she even said she was so happy I came to talk about it before withdrawing (because of my initial financial aid). So thankful I don't have to choose between my dream and my debt load. 🙂Oh yeah. I submitted my statement of intent so JHU could get the financial aid going while I asked for an decision deadline extension at my other school. I'm not sure about you, but I wasn't asked for a deposit.
Can someone help me please. I am on the wait list and would really like to contact my interviewer except I lost his contact (I know sad). Did anyone interview with an hispanic MD/PHD 4th year. He was really nice and super interesting to talk to.
Edit: Does Johns Hopkins allow updates to be sent directly to the interviewer?
Edit: Does Johns Hopkins allow updates to be sent directly to the interviewer?
Last edited:
Can someone help me please. I am on the wait list and would really like to contact my interviewer except I lost his contact (I know sad). Did anyone interview with an hispanic MD/PHD 4th year. He was really nice and super interesting to talk to.
Edit: Does Johns Hopkins allow updates to be sent directly to the interviewer?
From someone who accidentally sent my thank you letters directly to my interviewers and realized only last month that they were supposed to go through the admissions office, I'd say the same rule would go for updates. I emailed mine to Valerie Mazza FYI
So I had assumed that waitlist movement would start late this week or early next week, but then I looked on the Hopkins website and found this timeline:
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/admissions/md/application_process/timeline.html
According to this, no movement happens until June 1... That sounds so late to me!
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/admissions/md/application_process/timeline.html
According to this, no movement happens until June 1... That sounds so late to me!
Withdrew today. Good luck to all!
I just got off the waitlisted at another school ("A") and am still waitlisted at Hopkins. I want to accept "A" but I have to tell them today. If I do that, would I still stay on Hopkins' waitlist?
i.e., Theoretically, could Hopkins take me off the waitlist in June- and then I could say no to school "A" and yes to Hopkins?
Please please reply if you know/have experience in this situation
i.e., Theoretically, could Hopkins take me off the waitlist in June- and then I could say no to school "A" and yes to Hopkins?
Please please reply if you know/have experience in this situation
they explicitly said they don't like or want those. I've had some very strict and upset sounding emails from mazza when I tried to send in things. I would recommend against it. She only sounded upset when I sent stuff in. I think they are ok with updates but still sound like they don't really care.so is it true that waitlist movement won't start until June 1? Also would update or Letter of intent help at this point?
Got off the waitlist this morning! Good luck to everyone that is waiting 🙂
Got off the waitlist this morning! Good luck to everyone that is waiting 🙂
Congrats!!!
Was it a phone call or email?
congrats!! Did they call you or was it by email notification?Got off the waitlist this morning! Good luck to everyone that is waiting 🙂
Got off the waitlist this morning! Good luck to everyone that is waiting 🙂
did you happen to submit any stuff? I refrained as it seemed like they wouldn't welcome it...
Thanks! Sorry, I don't know how to properly quote other posts but it was an email notification of a status change and I had sent in a letter describing reasons for my continued interest / why Hopkins was a good fit for my goals.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks! Sorry, I don't know how to properly quote other posts but it was an email notification of a status change and I had sent in a letter describing reasons for my continued interest / why Hopkins was a good fit for my goals.
Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing when were you put on the alternate list? Thank you!
Congrats!!! Would you mind sharing when were you put on the alternate list? Thank you!
Thanks! At the end of January, I interviewed in November
I think the standard loans and research scholarshipsDoes Hopkins give any aid besides need based?
On a side note, when is step 1 taken since its a 1.5 year classroom curriculum
Any waitlist movement so far other than thewaywegetby?
So I'm new to SDN and wandered over here to see if anyone is looking for a roommate. I'll actually be starting at UMD as a first year medical student and thought it'd be nice to have a roommate outside of UMD. I've found a centrally located 2 bedroom/2 bathroom apartment, so if anyone is interested, send me a PM 🙂
+1...did anyone call the Admission?Just out of curiosity, is the waitlist movement over at this point for Hopkins?
+1...did anyone call the Admission?
There were a couple of wait list admissions on Thursday. They are expecting very little movement off the wait list this year.
So is it pretty much over for this cycle?There were a couple of wait list admissions on Thursday. They are expecting very little movement off the wait list this year.
I did, worked for me! Just make sure it is really adversity and not just...kinda hardFor the adversity prompt, would it be inappropriate to talk about more of a professional challenge, rather than adversity in the sense of continued personal difficulty?
YesI have a question about the humanities course requirements, does English count as a humanities course?
So is it pretty much over for this cycle?
Not over!! Accepted yesterday!!
Truly a dream come true... Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrat! Hopkins knows how to find a hidden gem....in the last minute! I guess we can turn out the lights hereNot over!! Accepted yesterday!!Truly a dream come true...

Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K