2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not going to speculate on the time for now. I've had a couple tech issues with their application, so who knows if this is even when they meant to send it ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted!!!!! Got the same email. Clicked on the "Your application decision is now available online" link on the front page of the application. Hyperventilating a bit. :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
Got the email, couldn't find the link. It's cool, not like I needed to sleep tonight anyways...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got the email, couldn't find the link. It's cool, not like I needed to sleep tonight anyways...

I got the email before practice this morning, couldn't find the link, and now my coach is making fun of me for pacing wildly around the room

Accepted!!!!! Got the same email. Clicked on the "Your application decision is now available online" link on the front page of the application. Hyperventilating a bit. :biglove:

Congratulations! Hope to see ya at second look!

what did people's "alternate list" letter said. Mine implied that the list is ranked. It said they're unable to tell me my rank. Just wondering if everyone got the same letter.

what did people's "alternate list" letter said. Mine implied that the list is ranked. It said they're unable to tell me my rank. Just wondering if everyone got the same letter.

i was waitlisted in like late january and my letter also indicates the same- that there is a rank.

Just got accepted as well, crazy!! Has anyone who has recently been accepted gotten any information about Second Look yet? I know that it is coming up in a few weeks, so I am wondering if we will still even be able to attend since we're so close to the date? Most of the other schools had RSVPs that were due a few weeks ago for their second looks, so I'm a little worried.

Anybody else get a call about a possible scholarship or being a finalist for it? I missed the call, heard the voice mail and am trying to find more information online but there isn't much. If you can post or Pm me with some info that would be awesome. Can't wait to meet you all next weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anybody heard anything about financial aid? I imagine packages should be coming out any day now.

Looks like financial aid awards are now available on ISIS.

Looks like financial aid awards are now available on ISIS.

Do you have a tab with Awards?

My online page has a tab for Accepting Awards, but it doesn't have any information as to what the award actually is...

My online page has a tab for Accepting Awards, but it doesn't have any information as to what the award actually is...

I had to first agree on the accept awards page to view the actual award. After I did that the award appeared with a new option to accept or decline each part of the award.

You have to accept those terms under the "Accept Award" tab and then you'll be able to view your award. That first agreement isn't accepting or declining the award. I was confused too.

If any current students or somebody more in-the-know could chime in, are the "remaining need" and "parental contribution (assuming you actually aren't getting any parental support) sections usually dealt with via grad plus loans?

The aid at Hopkins is above and beyond every other medical school

The aid at Hopkins is above and beyond every other medical school

Agreed... I had always heard that Harvard's aid was the best... but this year it seems to be among the worst... Makes the decision harder.

Thanks to everyone that clarified how to access the award!

Hopkins COA is for 10 months vs. 9 months at other schools.

I agree. Hopkins Financial Aid is awesome! So who am I seeing this weekend at second look?

Wow, financial aid is amazing here! (Sorry for redundancy, have to express my surprise too!):)

It would be really helpful if you guys could provide a reference point to saying Hopkins aid is good? How much would a family making ~90-100K a year be expected to contribute?

Just to add some variety, my financial aid package is not very attractive. I'd be on the hook for about 50K a year in loans, mostly unsubsidized. My Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from my FAFSA was about 20K a year. Hope that helps someone for future reference. No way is this place worth 200 grand to me. I'll be withdrawing. Good luck to those waiting!

It would be really helpful if you guys could provide a reference point to saying Hopkins aid is good? How much would a family making ~90-100K a year be expected to contribute?

My reference point is 0 EFC. Thats about 90-100k in debt. Its the lowest you can go outside of merit

FinAid Reference Point:
Hopkin's EFC: ~$10K (FAFSA: ~7k)
Debt: ~30K for 1st year-->~130K in debt (Is this how you estimate it?)

Things are not what they seem. Comparing Harvard to Hopkins it may appear that Harvard has a higher unit loan but Harvards unit loan for disadvantaged students is fully subsidized. Hopkins isn't. Harvard is cheaper.

Hopkins makes you take out mostly unsubsidized loans. They are pulling out the genjustu.

Things are not what they seem. Comparing Harvard to Hopkins it may appear that Harvard has a higher unit loan but Harvards unit loan for disadvantaged students is fully subsidized. Hopkins isn't. Harvard is cheaper.

Where did you find the info about fully subsidized loans for Harvard?

Hopkins makes you take out mostly unsubsidized loans. They are pulling out the genjustu.
Dude really just said genjutsu hahaha. Got me cracking up over here man. Incredibly accurate description.

does anyone happen to know how update letters post-interview should be sent to the admissions office? did a quick search of this thread and didn't find the info

Last edited:
does anyone happen to know how update letters post-interview should be sent to the admissions office? did a quick search of this thread and didn't find the info
Send it to the director of admission, Valerie Mazza

You have to be very smart with how to operate. Some schools ask not to send "thank you" notes to interviewers and you should not unless they give you permission to contact them during the cycle. However, most applicants don't utilize a very big loophole. Send a "thank you" message to the admissions email. So simple and quick. Don't send a card because it probably won't get there in time for the admissions committee to put it in your file (ADCOMs vote on you usually within the week of your interview so a card via snail mail doesn't cut it). You can send an email the day after your interview and thank the admissions staff, your interviewers, your students, everyone! In two sentences you can thank everyone. Short an sweet.

Hello. Good afternoon. I would like to thank the choice medical school's admissions staff, interviewers,and hosts for an excellent time.

Thanks again!

Espadaleader

Anyone else still waiting to hear back? I remember them saying mid-April at interview day for decisions but it's mid April now and all quiet on this front....

So what's the whole wait list process like from here on out?

Hey guys. I've been thinking about this whole Hopkins thing, and I've realized: This isn't the right fit for you.
Think about it! Becoming a Ravens fan? You can't tell me that's not scary.
And think about the difference in weather between Baltimore and your current location? Do you really think it's best to change things up on your body with a move? Factor in that, and fin aid, and your state school makes way more sense. Plus, everyone in Baltimore has a weird accent (and YOUR accent is the only truly correct way to speak). And being taught by professors as prestigious as those at Hopkins would just be way too intimidating.

The same goes for waitlisted students. The whole waitlist process is just to stressful to put yourself through! Do yourself a favor and chill out with what you've got--you don't really want to go to Hopkins.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

A very jealous applicant that is currently waitlisted at Hopkins.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys. I've been thinking about this whole Hopkins thing, and I've realized: This isn't the right fit for you.
Think about it! Becoming a Ravens fan? You can't tell me that's not scary.
And think about the difference in weather between Baltimore and your current location? Do you really think it's best to change things up on your body with a move? Factor in that, and fin aid, and your state school makes way more sense. Plus, everyone in Baltimore has a weird accent (and YOUR accent is the only truly correct way to speak). And being taught by professors as prestigious as those at Hopkins would just be way too intimidating.

The same goes for waitlisted students. The whole waitlist process is just to stressful to put yourself through! Do yourself a favor and chill out with what you've got--you don't really want to go to Hopkins.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

A very jealous applicant that is currently waitlisted at Hopkins.
haha. so true. waitlisted as well. Worst thing is that they don't care about letters and such since their waitlist seems ranked as they said. have you bothered sending anything in?

Accepted today! I interviewed on one of the last three interview days.

Now it's time to make a really tough decision...

Congratulations! It's a good feeling to finally be done with this whole crazy cycle!

Congratulations! It's a good feeling to finally be done with this whole crazy cycle!
Are you definitely matriculating then? I just got a call with a full scholarship from Cleveland Clinic THIS MORNING, but I seriously adored Johns Hopkins so much when I went.

This must be a mistake. I can't believe it.

No, haven't made a decision yet. I'm sitting on a full tuition scholarship from Chicago as well, so it's going to be tough. Still waiting on some financial aid packages from other schools too! I wish I could've attended Hopkin's Second Look.

But WOW. Congrats on a fantastic day!!!

haha. so true. waitlisted as well. Worst thing is that they don't care about letters and such since their waitlist seems ranked as they said. have you bothered sending anything in?
I'm going to send a letter in a few weeks--I think it could make a difference!

Congrats to everyone who received good news today!