2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Essay prompt will go here. PM me when it's available. GL all!

Members don't see this ad.

No love for NYMC? :love:

I'm a re-applicant but this is my first time submitting here. I got the idea from one of my interviewers at Sinai since he graduated from NY Med College!! :) He made it sound like NYMC could be a good fit for me.

Good luck all :luck:

No love for NYMC? :love:

I'm a re-applicant but this is my first time submitting here. I got the idea from one of my interviewers at Sinai since he graduated from NY Med College!! :) He made it sound like NYMC could be a good fit for me.

Good luck all :luck:

I guess we will start this thread out Entadus. I am certainly applying here. It looks like they have a history of being OOS friendly to California kids such as ourselves :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also applying here. Great school in a great city. Hoping for some love. And yeah they're quite friendly to CA applicants which makes me happy.

I guess we will start this thread out Entadus. I am certainly applying here. It looks like they have a history of being OOS friendly to California kids such as ourselves :)

great city? what's valhalla like? i noticed it's a distance away from manhattan - do students commonly make the trek down during weekends? i'd love to venture out there once in awhile.

good luck to all the applicants!

as a CA student, i'm excited to go OOS to any of the NY schools - NYMC, NYU, Mt. Sinai, etc. Can anyone give me their thoughts on what my chances would be at these NY schools with a 3.5 GPA and 32 MCAT score? i think NYMC would be most likely out of NY schools along with the SUNYs.

thanks!

Valhalla is a very sleepy little town, basically the only thing in town is NYMC and the Westchester Medical Center right off campus. But, White Plains is definitely a larger urban area about 10-15 minutes away, and of course NYC is a quick 40 min train ride in. From interviewing there last year it sounds like students often go down there after finals and such. During clinical years, many rotate through Metropolitan Hospital which is in the city, some even end up living down there.

Valhalla is a very sleepy little town, basically the only thing in town is NYMC and the Westchester Medical Center right off campus. But, White Plains is definitely a larger urban area about 10-15 minutes away, and of course NYC is a quick 40 min train ride in. From interviewing there last year it sounds like students often go down there after finals and such. During clinical years, many rotate through Metropolitan Hospital which is in the city, some even end up living down there.

that's great to hear. i'd love to live and study in heart of nyc, but i wouldn't mind the 40 min train ride and the occasional visit.

thanks

(sorry if i'm sounding too pro - other NY med schools in a NYMC thread! i loved nyc during my visits and NYMC sounds like a great choice too!)

Does anybody here know if NYMC will accept Orgo 2 in lieu of Biochem?

Alternatively, will they accept applications for folks who haven't taken Biochem, but plan to prior to matriculation?

Also, are they friendly towards post-bacs?

Alternatively, will they accept applications for folks who haven't taken Biochem, but plan to prior to matriculation?

I could have sworn that it said they accepted a second semester of orgo instead of biochem, however I just went and checked and it only says biochem or an equivalent class. So best bet is to call.

Please let me know if you find out...I don't have biochem on my future coursework in AMCAS but would totally take it if I got accepted to NYMC.

EDIT: I called and it's fine if you don't have Biochem listed under Future Coursework, you can still be accepted as long as you eventually take it before matriculation

Last edited:
Please let me know if you find out...I don't have biochem on my future coursework in AMCAS but would totally take it if I got accepted to NYMC.

EDIT: I called and it's fine if you don't have Biochem listed under Future Coursework, you can still be accepted as long as you eventually take it before matriculation

Awesome!! Thanks for calling. Not thrilled about having to take biochem before med school, but I supposed it'll help with MS1.

Awesome!! Thanks for calling. Not thrilled about having to take biochem before med school, but I supposed it'll help with MS1.

Yeah, same here, but honestly it's better to just have to take it and pass with a C than having taken it during undergrad where it could've screwed up my GPA lol. I purposely avoided it because most of the schools I'm applying to don't require it anyway.

Has anyone received the secondary yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Current graduate student at NYMC here; I can't comment on academics, but I can give insight to just about everything else. Feel free to me ask on the thread; though I am in the midst of secondary essays so my response will be delayed.

Good Luck to everyone applying.

Hurry up and send secondaries, NYMC! It's my third choice overall and literally 20 minutes from most of my family. I grew up right around there and want to show them how much I would enjoy Valhalla!!

:annoyed:

Uh oh, I was reading up on NYMC's website and I found this LOR requirement:

If your college does not have a premedical committee a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. Two (2) letters must be from science faculty (e.g.) biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering, bio-engineering, etc. who have either taught you in a class OR supervised you in independent research for which you have received credit toward your science GPA. (Math is not considered a science course for the purposes of letters of evaluation.) The third letter must be from a non-science course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.

I realized that the letters I was planning on using don't exactly fulfill these requirements. For example, I was going to use a Chemistry letter and a Math letter as my 2 science letters. It worries me that they explicitly mention math not counting as "science". Is this a pretty rigid requirement? Do I need to try and get another chemistry letter?

(By the way, my major is chemistry)

I feel like I missed something on the secondary. It was literally just alumni/family and name of committee letter/recommenders?

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I missed something on the secondary. It was literally just alumni/family and name of committee letter/recommenders?

I felt the exact same way, but that's all it is!

So, just to confirm: some people have received secondaries, and there are no essays? :)

So, just to confirm: some people have received secondaries, and there are no essays? :)

I received my secondary this morning, but my primary is already verified. I'm not sure if you have to be verified to get the secondary though. And yes, no essays. All you do is enter any family that are connected to NYMC and input LOR info... oh, and pay $110. :rolleyes:

I received my secondary this morning, but my primary is already verified. I'm not sure if you have to be verified to get the secondary though. And yes, no essays. All you do is enter any family that are connected to NYMC and input LOR info... oh, and pay $110. :rolleyes:

Was there some special login?
Or is it like - username = AMCAS ID And password = birthday or something?

Just got the secondary! (And I am verified)

Last edited:
Anyone gonna submit pre-verification?

Just received my secondary! Freaking out a litle bit. My letters were sent as a packet from my school to AMCAS a few weeks ago. Each of my individual letters, however, do not have my AAMC ID on them. Does anyone know if that is going to be problematic?

ugh, I'm a student here - why haven't I gotten a secondary yet. Complete nonsense

ugh, I'm a student here - why haven't I gotten a secondary yet. Complete nonsense

Don't worry I haven't gotten one either. They must be sending them out in batches.

Don't worry I haven't gotten one either. They must be sending them out in batches.

It's still annoying. When you attend a school and get your sucks in a row well in advance and then you have to play a waiting game instead of getting your name at the front of the line - it's just frustrating is all.

It's still annoying. When you attend a school and get your sucks in a row well in advance and then you have to play a waiting game instead of getting your name at the front of the line - it's just frustrating is all.

I meant to say DUCKS in a row lol

Was there some special login?
Or is it like - username = AMCAS ID And password = birthday or something?

No, it was completely random. I feel your pain on not having received the secondary. I'm assuming that's going to happen to me too with other schools. :(

+1, I agree. Not too worried; have been working on all the other secondaries I've gotten.

Haven't been verified and did not receive a secondary :(

Did anyone get a complete email when you sent in your secondary?

Did anyone get a complete email when you sent in your secondary?

I didn't when I submitted mine, but when I click on the link to fill out the secondary in the email they sent me, it says that my secondary has already been submitted.

Last edited:
I didn't when I submitted mine, but when I click on the link to fill out the secondary in the email they sent me, it says that my secondary has already been submitted.
+ 1

Another question--in the instructions, it said to list the exact time you submitted AMCAS, but I didn't see anywhere on the secondary to enter this information. Did anyone else?

+ 1

Another question--in the instructions, it said to list the exact time you submitted AMCAS, but I didn't see anywhere on the secondary to enter this information. Did anyone else?

I didn't see this question come up at all, so I never entered any time/date for it.

Secondary received just now!

Secondary Submitted!