2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm trying to fill out this secondary I just received and I noticed that they require a recommendation letter from my graduate school. Since I graduated in 2009, is it still needed? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Graduated college or grad? I'm a current student at NYMC (graduate school) and I can confidently say they're big on graduate school experience, so your probably better off with a letter from graduate school.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For optional letters, how are you guys entering course name and number if we don't have one? For example, one of my optional letters is a volunteer coordinator and she is not affiliated with any course or anything.

For optional letters, how are you guys entering course name and number if we don't have one? For example, one of my optional letters is a volunteer coordinator and she is not affiliated with any course or anything.

Just write n/a, and then put "0" for credits

Sooooo it seems like I need a recommendation letter from a professor in a department from which I majored. Considering I've been out of school for a year and got my LoRs from my post-bacc professors, is it best that I call them and ask them how hard of a requirement this is?

Anyone know how strict they are about the LOR from a non-major course? I have a letter from my volunteer coordinator, but none from an actual professor outside of my biology major.

Secondary just received, and submitted

Same. After you guys complete, did it go straight to the admissions page? Just making sure it went sure...

Also, if we have the fee waiver from AMCAS, we have to send a print out of that last page and the proof of fee waiver correct? Such a hassle....

Sooooo it seems like I need a recommendation letter from a professor in a department from which I majored. Considering I've been out of school for a year and got my LoRs from my post-bacc professors, is it best that I call them and ask them how hard of a requirement this is?

I was told this is a pretty hard and fast requirement; NYMC gets 12,000+ applications - if you don't meet their requirements, chances are there are 10 other applicants in your place who will.

Source: I spoke to someone who used to sit on the ADCOM.

I was told this is a pretty hard and fast requirement; NYMC gets 12,000+ applications - if you don't meet their requirements, chances are there are 10 other applicants in your place who will.

Source: I spoke to someone who used to sit on the ADCOM.

Interesting. Either way, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning and see what the deal is. If its a no go, then it is what it is.

Graduated college or grad? I'm a current student at NYMC (graduate school) and I can confidently say they're big on graduate school experience, so your probably better off with a letter from graduate school.

Yes. I graduated with my masters degree in 2009. I'm not in touch with any of my professors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted! Wow I really wish all secondaries were like that one.

Just submitted! Wow I really wish all secondaries were like that one.

You mean, you wished more secondaries provided you with no opportunity to discuss why you're a good fit for the school? Lol It's a double edged sword at NYMC, because at the interview it's just MMI - you have no opportunity to explain "why NYMC" at the interview either lol.

You mean, you wished more secondaries provided you with no opportunity to discuss why you're a good fit for the school? Lol It's a double edged sword at NYMC, because at the interview it's just MMI - you have no opportunity to explain "why NYMC" at the interview either lol.

That's a very good point. In the long run it is best to have the opportunity to write more. However, I just feel like I have been spending so much time writing essays for other schools and the NYMC secondary was sort of like a temporary "breath of fresh air."

Please let me know if you find out...I don't have biochem on my future coursework in AMCAS but would totally take it if I got accepted to NYMC.

EDIT: I called and it's fine if you don't have Biochem listed under Future Coursework, you can still be accepted as long as you eventually take it before matriculation

So biochemistry is a definite requirement, meaning I can't submit second semester organic chemistry?

Just submitted secondary. I did not see the question that asked to input the time we submitted our primary app. Should I email them I let them know? Im a big fan of this place and am so worried this will effect my chances!!

Just submitted secondary. I did not see the question that asked to input the time we submitted our primary app. Should I email them I let them know? Im a big fan of this place and am so worried this will effect my chances!!

There was no place where we were supposed to enter that information. You basically just had to list any relatives, letters of rec, agree to a bunch of stuff, and then submit. Unless I missed something too...:scared:

No secondary :/ What is going on? Should I email?

I think there is a technical difficulty on NYMC's end; they are not receiving data from AMCAS in order of verification, I'd give it at least one more week before worrying.

I think there is a technical difficulty on NYMC's end; they are not receiving data from AMCAS in order of verification, I'd give it at least one more week before worrying.

Oh didn't know that. Thanks!

Just got the secondary. Did any other non-verified applicants receive one as well?

Yes. I'm still unverified and I got mine today. I also submitted it. Good luck to all!

why are the optional letters asking me to enter the course name and credit earned?

from the instructions: "If you are submitting optional letters of evaluation, please enter the name and title of the letter writer and the name of the institution." but there are no fields for those.

anyone else having the same problem?

After searching some more, it looks like I definitely can't use organic II. I like how the *******s changed this policy on June 3rd, when I was coming up with school lists and reviewing school-specific prerequisites in the middle of May. Oh well, at least it's only $35 down the hole instead of $145.

why are the optional letters asking me to enter the course name and credit earned?

from the instructions: "If you are submitting optional letters of evaluation, please enter the name and title of the letter writer and the name of the institution." but there are no fields for those.

anyone else having the same problem?

Put N/A for course name and title. Put 0 for credits.

Received and submitted, but now I'm a little confused--in the email it says we can check our status, but when I go back to the secondary page, all it says is that I've already completed it. Nothing about my letters and primary app still being pending (which, since I'm unverified, they clearly are). Anyone understand how we can check our status?

AMCAS was verified on Friday and I just received secondary. It was a pleasure to fill out and submit. Good luck everyone!! I am excited about NYMC!!

After searching some more, it looks like I definitely can't use organic II. I like how the *******s changed this policy on June 3rd, when I was coming up with school lists and reviewing school-specific prerequisites in the middle of May. Oh well, at least it's only $35 down the hole instead of $145.

u can always take it if you get accepted

We weren't supposed to enter coursework on this secondary app were we?

i don't think so. i am kinda pissed off at this new requirement. I am a reapplicant to NYMC (currently sitting on their WL). I am not happy at the prospect of having to take biochem before matriculation if accepted next year :mad:

secondary finally received.
Is it worth sending in pre-verification? I am on 6/19, so i will verified <week

yay just received and submitted. this is how all secondaries should be :p

so after the payment page, i clicked "continue" expecting to return to the secondary app to submit it but it brought me back to the home page. does it automatically submit after you pay?

So if you have a committee letter, all you put down is your UG school and amcas sends it?

I just got my secondary today. Don't worry if you haven't gotten yours yet! It seems like they send them in batches. :)

So if you have a committee letter, all you put down is your UG school and amcas sends it?
Yes, nothing else. It's a very short application.

so after the payment page, i clicked "continue" expecting to return to the secondary app to submit it but it brought me back to the home page. does it automatically submit after you pay?
Mine directed me back to the home page too.

I wished there was like a 3000 character thing like "Why NYMC?" you know? I'm a current grad student at NYMC, I feel like something like that would benefit everyone, but would have been really helpful for me to drive my message home for NYMC

On the instructions, it says "The names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application." Is this really required? I sent in my letters in a packet, and on AMCAS it was optional to put down all your letter writers' names.

+1. I was almost skeptical I'd never get one, haha.

As much as it was easy to fill out, I agree with this:

There's so much they could've asked and didn't; I definitely feel like other schools will know me a bit better when/if they interview me.

Even just a question about my hobbies/non-academic interests would've added something more to what my primary includes...

Just submitted! I kind of wish that they'd require at least one essay, preferably one asking "Why NYMC?"

At the very least, it would justify the $110 price tag.

On the instructions, it says "The names of the individual letters writers must be listed on your AMCAS application." Is this really required? I sent in my letters in a packet, and on AMCAS it was optional to put down all your letter writers' names.

I'm sure that's just a requirement for people with individual letters; I doubt that applies for committee letters/packets of letters.

Call/email if you're worried, though.

Just submitted! I kind of wish that they'd require at least one essay, preferably one asking "Why NYMC?"

At the very least, it would justify the $110 price tag.

I agree; ouch at the $110 (my most expensive secondary and all the $100 ones had at least two essays a piece).