You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
+ 1
Another question--in the instructions, it said to list the exact time you submitted AMCAS, but I didn't see anywhere on the secondary to enter this information. Did anyone else?
I also didn't see this question. I loaded the secondary in internet explorer because it made it easier to locate the text boxes to fill out. In the beginning, I didn't even know where to enter in the information for letters until i started randomly clicking around (Was using chrome). So I suggest opening the supplemental in internet explorer
Thanks for the advice! Gah, unfortunately I already submitted 🙁. Did you see this question about time of submitting on IE?I also didn't see this question. I loaded the secondary in internet explorer because it made it easier to locate the text boxes to fill out. In the beginning, I didn't even know where to enter in the information for letters until i started randomly clicking around (Was using chrome). So I suggest opening the supplemental in internet explorer
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advice! Gah, unfortunately I already submitted 🙁. Did you see this question about time of submitting on IE?
No I didn't.
I also didn't see this question. I loaded the secondary in internet explorer because it made it easier to locate the text boxes to fill out. In the beginning, I didn't even know where to enter in the information for letters until i started randomly clicking around (Was using chrome). So I suggest opening the supplemental in internet explorer
I also only saw white boxes, but definitely saw no slot to fill out this question (as in, I didn't see the question asked at all in the application). In any case, I'm not going to worry about it since others seem to have had an issue with this too.
EDIT: This was in IE by the way - I opened in IE in case Chrome had issues, but I guess the issues held for both.
Ok who else still has not received a secondary here? I still haven't gotten one. 🙁
Me neither, and I've been verified since the 28th.
Ok who else still has not received a secondary here? I still haven't gotten one. 🙁
are you verified?
weird. I was verified yesterday and received the secondary this morning.
Me neither, and I've been verified since the 28th.
I haven't been verified and I have not received one. I checked their website and it says everyone will receive a II. I think they might be sending it in batches maybe because they don't want their site crashing (apparently the II is easy).
are you verified?
weird. I was verified yesterday and received the secondary this morning.
Yes I am verified. I have gotten every other secondary that I was "supposed" to get so far based on SDN information.
I haven't been verified and I have not received one. I checked their website and it says everyone will receive a II. I think they might be sending it in batches maybe because they don't want their site crashing (apparently the II is easy).
People who are not verified are also getting the II
Yes I am verified. I have gotten every other secondary that I was "supposed" to get so far based on SDN information.
I am not verified and received one. Did you check junk mail??
Same, nothing yet.
I am not verified and received one. Did you check junk mail??
Yup.
Not in there; have received 12 other secondaries just fine.I am not verified and received one. Did you check junk mail??
Which is the weirdest part of those us verified not getting one.People who are not verified are also getting the II
This is my exact situation too.Yes I am verified. I have gotten every other secondary that I was "supposed" to get so far based on SDN information.
I haven't been verified and I have not received one. I checked their website and it says everyone will receive a II. I think they might be sending it in batches maybe because they don't want their site crashing (apparently the II is easy).
I have to agree with the batches part, especially if they are sending one to everyone.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Finally got this secondary! Submitted! 🙂
Love this secondary!!
Uh oh, I was reading up on NYMC's website and I found this LOR requirement:
Quote:
If your college does not have a premedical committee a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. Two (2) letters must be from science faculty (e.g.) biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering, bio-engineering, etc. who have either taught you in a class OR supervised you in independent research for which you have received credit toward your science GPA. (Math is not considered a science course for the purposes of letters of evaluation.) The third letter must be from a non-science course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.
I realized that the letters I was planning on using don't exactly fulfill these requirements. For example, I was going to use a Chemistry letter and a Math letter as my 2 science letters. It worries me that they explicitly mention math not counting as "science". Is this a pretty rigid requirement? Do I need to try and get another chemistry letter?
(By the way, my major is chemistry)
Can anyone please answer this, or do I need to call?
Can anyone please answer this, or do I need to call?
You should try calling the school since they are the ones in charge of the apps.
I still haven't gotten the secondary! Do you guys know if they screen?
I still haven't gotten the secondary! Do you guys know if they screen?
I haven't gotten one either. I'm sitting at a 3.8/30 so If they screen they must have high MCAT standards or something!
I still haven't gotten the secondary! Do you guys know if they screen?
According to the MSAR, they do not screen.
They definitely don't screen cause I got this pre-verification.According to the MSAR, they do not screen.
You can send this one in without verification, but they will not begin reviewing your file until you are verified.Are we allowed to send the secondary if we are not verified. How can we submit a secondary if they don't have our information?
Wow they are picky on exactly what letters to obtain. As a non-trad out of undergrad for several years, this secondary is more difficult than expected!
Do you not have a committee letter?Wow they are picky on exactly what letters to obtain. As a non-trad out of undergrad for several years, this secondary is more difficult than expected!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
lol i've been verified since 6/13 and still no secondary. If they send it to everyone, they're probably just doing it in batches like people have said already.
+1
Still no secondary ;/
still no secondary ;/
+1
+3 What is going on? I'm too scared to call admissions about this I feel like that would be unprofessional.
+3 What is going on? I'm too scared to call admissions about this I feel like that would be unprofessional.
You don't have to tell them your name.

You don't have to tell them your name.![]()
Yeah, you don't have to tell them your name, because they'll already know it from the caller ID! haha
Just went under review.
We're you verified already?
We're you verified already?
Yes, I was verified on 6/14.
I worked up the courage and called admissions. They said that they have just begun to send out secondaries and will be continuing to send them out. So in other words, they send them out in "batches." I hope this helps for other people who haven't gotten one yet.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I worked up the courage and called admissions. They said that they have just begun to send out secondaries and will be continuing to send them out. So in other words, they send them out in "batches." I hope this helps for other people who haven't gotten one yet.
Great, thanks for the info! 🙂 I have been calling other schools (about my LOR not being marked as received despite having been processed by AMCAS last week), so I applaud your courage at calling about this--I was nervous just asking about my LOR and not wanting to seem annoying. 8)
Secondary just received, and submitted
Secondary just received, and submitted
+1
Kind of annoyed it came so much longer after everyone else; there are some people already under review.
+1
Kind of annoyed it came so much longer after everyone else; there are some people already under review.
Yeah, oh well. Nothing we can do. My letters and stuff are already submitted to AMCAS and I'm verified and whatnot so hey, the rest is on NYMC.
I know it must be annoying since you go to school there though.
I'm trying to fill out this secondary I just received and I noticed that they require a recommendation letter from my graduate school. Since I graduated in 2009, is it still needed? Anyone else in a similar situation?
