2013-2014 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No essays and really nothing at all to this secondary...can't decide if I should be pissed that I'm paying them $110 to resubmit my name, address and email, or just relieved that it takes two seconds lol.

Members don't see this ad.

+ 1

Another question--in the instructions, it said to list the exact time you submitted AMCAS, but I didn't see anywhere on the secondary to enter this information. Did anyone else?

I also didn't see this question. I loaded the secondary in internet explorer because it made it easier to locate the text boxes to fill out. In the beginning, I didn't even know where to enter in the information for letters until i started randomly clicking around (Was using chrome). So I suggest opening the supplemental in internet explorer

I also didn't see this question. I loaded the secondary in internet explorer because it made it easier to locate the text boxes to fill out. In the beginning, I didn't even know where to enter in the information for letters until i started randomly clicking around (Was using chrome). So I suggest opening the supplemental in internet explorer
Thanks for the advice! Gah, unfortunately I already submitted :(. Did you see this question about time of submitting on IE?

Members don't see this ad :)

I also only saw white boxes, but definitely saw no slot to fill out this question (as in, I didn't see the question asked at all in the application). In any case, I'm not going to worry about it since others seem to have had an issue with this too.

EDIT: This was in IE by the way - I opened in IE in case Chrome had issues, but I guess the issues held for both.

Ok who else still has not received a secondary here? I still haven't gotten one. :(

Me neither, and I've been verified since the 28th.

I haven't been verified and I have not received one. I checked their website and it says everyone will receive a II. I think they might be sending it in batches maybe because they don't want their site crashing (apparently the II is easy).

are you verified?

weird. I was verified yesterday and received the secondary this morning.

Yes I am verified. I have gotten every other secondary that I was "supposed" to get so far based on SDN information.

I haven't been verified and I have not received one. I checked their website and it says everyone will receive a II. I think they might be sending it in batches maybe because they don't want their site crashing (apparently the II is easy).

People who are not verified are also getting the II

Yes I am verified. I have gotten every other secondary that I was "supposed" to get so far based on SDN information.

I am not verified and received one. Did you check junk mail??

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not verified and received one. Did you check junk mail??
Not in there; have received 12 other secondaries just fine.

People who are not verified are also getting the II
Which is the weirdest part of those us verified not getting one.

This is my exact situation too.

I have to agree with the batches part, especially if they are sending one to everyone.

Not verified here and just got a secondary

Uh oh, I was reading up on NYMC's website and I found this LOR requirement:

Quote:
If your college does not have a premedical committee a total of three (3) letters of evaluation from undergraduate faculty are required. Two (2) letters must be from science faculty (e.g.) biology, chemistry, physics, bio-medical engineering, bio-engineering, etc. who have either taught you in a class OR supervised you in independent research for which you have received credit toward your science GPA. (Math is not considered a science course for the purposes of letters of evaluation.) The third letter must be from a non-science course.
IMPORTANT NOTE: One (1) of your three letters of evaluation must be from the department in which you majored as identified on your AMCAS application - whether science or non-science.

I realized that the letters I was planning on using don't exactly fulfill these requirements. For example, I was going to use a Chemistry letter and a Math letter as my 2 science letters. It worries me that they explicitly mention math not counting as "science". Is this a pretty rigid requirement? Do I need to try and get another chemistry letter?

(By the way, my major is chemistry)

Can anyone please answer this, or do I need to call?

So relieved that took 5 minutes to fill out. Feeling WAY too behind on the secondaries!!

I still haven't gotten the secondary! Do you guys know if they screen?

I still haven't gotten the secondary! Do you guys know if they screen?

I haven't gotten one either. I'm sitting at a 3.8/30 so If they screen they must have high MCAT standards or something!

Are we allowed to send the secondary if we are not verified. How can we submit a secondary if they don't have our information?

Are we allowed to send the secondary if we are not verified. How can we submit a secondary if they don't have our information?
You can send this one in without verification, but they will not begin reviewing your file until you are verified.

Wow they are picky on exactly what letters to obtain. As a non-trad out of undergrad for several years, this secondary is more difficult than expected!

Wow they are picky on exactly what letters to obtain. As a non-trad out of undergrad for several years, this secondary is more difficult than expected!
Do you not have a committee letter?

Also been verified since the 28th, no secondary yet.

lol i've been verified since 6/13 and still no secondary. If they send it to everyone, they're probably just doing it in batches like people have said already.

+1

how do you know if you are complete or not? I went to their status page and read a very generic message....I dont see anything about being complete. any ideas?

Anyone else having trouble with the optional letters of evaluation section of the secondary? I put in all the info but it doesn't seem to be saving..anybody else experiencing this?

I worked up the courage and called admissions. They said that they have just begun to send out secondaries and will be continuing to send them out. So in other words, they send them out in "batches." I hope this helps for other people who haven't gotten one yet.

I worked up the courage and called admissions. They said that they have just begun to send out secondaries and will be continuing to send them out. So in other words, they send them out in "batches." I hope this helps for other people who haven't gotten one yet.

Great, thanks for the info! :) I have been calling other schools (about my LOR not being marked as received despite having been processed by AMCAS last week), so I applaud your courage at calling about this--I was nervous just asking about my LOR and not wanting to seem annoying. 8)

+1

Kind of annoyed it came so much longer after everyone else; there are some people already under review.

Yeah, oh well. Nothing we can do. My letters and stuff are already submitted to AMCAS and I'm verified and whatnot so hey, the rest is on NYMC.

I know it must be annoying since you go to school there though.

I'm trying to fill out this secondary I just received and I noticed that they require a recommendation letter from my graduate school. Since I graduated in 2009, is it still needed? Anyone else in a similar situation?