2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woo accepted off the waitlist this morning! Esctatic right now! For anyone who might ask, I sent in an update on Friday! Quick turnaround!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been working on my 2014-2015 application because I had no acceptances until this morning. Thank you NYU!

I didn't send a letter of update or interest after being waitlisted. LizzyM 75, CA resident.

Good luck to everyone on the waiting list!

Reactions: 8 users
Off the waitlist as well, after applying to 3yr MD program last week!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been working on my 2014-2015 application because I had no acceptances until this morning. Thank you NYU!

I didn't send a letter of update or interest after being waitlisted. LizzyM 75, CA resident.

Congrats!!!!

just withdrew my acceptance. best of luck to everyone in their future careers.

Reactions: 1 users

congrats! :) this makes me think that the waitlist is already ranked right now o:

Should we expect a lot of movement now that non-rolling decisions are out?

When do we hear back regarding the 3-year MD decisions?

When do we hear back regarding the 3-year MD decisions?
Applications for the three-year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal beginning July 1 at 12:00 AM EST. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is February 28 by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through the end of April and in late May/early June; (3) decision letters are sent by June 13 with most decision letters going out by May 9 with applicants waitlisted to the three-year MD pathway notified in a similar fashion.

Is phi beta kappa worth an update? I was wailisted on Jan 31st as well and haven't sent anything since I didnt have much to say really.

For people who got off the waitlist, did you get an email or a call?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so anxious for merit aid to be released!

Reactions: 1 user
Since they said sometime this week, tomorrow has to be the day, right? Hopefully they won't drag this through the weekend...
Or people have already heard...there are only 7...

We may well, just a thought.

Hey all, for those of you who applied to the 3 year MD pathway, what residencies did you choose?

Aaah I was kind of thinking we'd know either way when it happened via a tweet or something. : /

I asked the admissions office about it, and apparently, this is only the first week that they started giving out merit scholarships. No idea how many have been handed out already, but evidently they're not at 7 yet.

Last edited:
USNWR rankings are out. Officially a top 20 now :)

Reactions: 5 users
are we supposed to just upload updates to the website?

Is it possible to send in additional LORs given that the only way to add information is through self-uploaded documents?

Is it possible to send in additional LORs given that the only way to add information is through self-uploaded documents?
I called one time and they said they do not accept additional LORS. on another note, is it too late t be sending an update/ lletter of interest now? I'm worried that they will think it was my last choice or something but I didn't have anything substantial to say till this week.

If 3-year pathway interviews begin at the end of March, maybe people will start hearing back soon...

If 3-year pathway interviews begin at the end of March, maybe people will start hearing back soon...

Just got a 3 yr. pathway interview!

Reactions: 9 users
I'm interested in getting off the wailist here but I'm concerned about if it's worth it or not. Do we know the average debt of a graduating student? will it be way more than other places? I love the school but I'm not sure if it's worth it try very hard to get off the wailist for financial reasons.

I called one time and they said they do not accept additional LORS. on another note, is it too late t be sending an update/ lletter of interest now? I'm worried that they will think it was my last choice or something but I didn't have anything substantial to say till this week.

Are you sure? I called to ask where to send in a LOR and they said to use the email...which made me assume they do accept them

Maybe someone who subscribes to the US News stuff can help out with this question?

I just looked it up the other day to make a spreadsheet comparing data points on schools. I think average indebtedness was $140K, but I'll confirm that when I have my computer.

I just looked it up the other day to make a spreadsheet comparing data points on schools. I think average indebtedness was $140K, but I'll confirm that when I have my computer.

Tuition
Full-time: $46,260

Required fees $4,800
Room and board $13,980
Average indebtedness of 2012 graduates who incurred medical school debt $140,662
Financial Aid Availability
Students receiving any financial aid 67%
Students receiving loans 62%
Students receiving grants/scholarships 32%
Students receiving work study 9%

Tuition
Full-time: $46,260

Required fees $4,800
Room and board $13,980
Average indebtedness of 2012 graduates who incurred medical school debt $140,662
Financial Aid Availability
Students receiving any financial aid 67%
Students receiving loans 62%
Students receiving grants/scholarships 32%
Students receiving work study 9%
is this more than other places like state schools? is thia generally considered worse or better than average?

is this more than other places like state schools? is thia generally considered worse or better than average?
I don't know the national average. The state school I'm considering (UCSF) has an average indebtedness of 111K. Stanford is 102K, and Columbia is 140K. I have a USNWR account so can look up others you're looking at, if you want!

I called a few weeks ago. Maybe things changed?

I just wanted to clear this up for people in case they have the same question: NYU does accept additional LORs. (I just called them to ask)

Does anyone know what some typical numbers are for the 3 yr pathway slots per specialty? How many interviews do they do for the 1-3 slots per specialty?

Don't think anyone has said this yet, but thank you!! :D

google gave me this chart: https://www.aamc.org/download/152968/data/debtfactcard.pdf
looks like the national average is ~180k for private schools

Wow, that's a pretty low debt average for UCSF and Stanford. I'm surprised that UCSF's is higher than Stanford since UCSF has the in-state tuition for their students, making tuition less than Stanford's I believe. Interesting. Thanks again.

It is interesting, but not actually too surprising. One of Stanford's major selling points is that med school graduates have some of the lowest indebtedness in the nation. And while state schools are 20K/year cheaper, they are public so have far fewer resources for need-based and merit-based financial aid. I had that same discovery when I was applying for college - I could have gone to Cal for 15K a year (not a bad deal by any means), but Harvard and Yale were free!

Does anyone know what some typical numbers are for the 3 yr pathway slots per specialty? How many interviews do they do for the 1-3 slots per specialty?

This is almost completely program-dependent, so I don't think you'll get a solid answer.