You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 New York University (NYU) Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Off the waitlist as well, after applying to 3yr MD program last week!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been working on my 2014-2015 application because I had no acceptances until this morning. Thank you NYU!
I didn't send a letter of update or interest after being waitlisted. LizzyM 75, CA resident.
Good luck to everyone on the waiting list!
Congrats!!!!
just withdrew my acceptance. best of luck to everyone in their future careers.
I have been working on my 2014-2015 application because I had no acceptances until this morning. Thank you NYU!
I didn't send a letter of update or interest after being waitlisted. LizzyM 75, CA resident.
Good luck to everyone on the waiting list!
congrats! 🙂 this makes me think that the waitlist is already ranked right now o:
.
Last edited:
.
Last edited:
Applications for the three-year MD pathway are available through the applicant portal beginning July 1 at 12:00 AM EST. Important deadlines to be aware of are as follows: (1) tertiary application deadline is February 28 by 11:59 PM EST; (2) interviews with residency program directors will occur in late March through the end of April and in late May/early June; (3) decision letters are sent by June 13 with most decision letters going out by May 9 with applicants waitlisted to the three-year MD pathway notified in a similar fashion.When do we hear back regarding the 3-year MD decisions?
For people who got off the waitlist, did you get an email or a call?
For people who got off the waitlist, did you get an email or a call?
Email. I don't think they call anyone.
I'm so anxious for merit aid to be released!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since they said sometime this week, tomorrow has to be the day, right? Hopefully they won't drag this through the weekend...I'm so anxious for merit aid to be released!
Or people have already heard...there are only 7...Since they said sometime this week, tomorrow has to be the day, right? Hopefully they won't drag this through the weekend...
I would think someone on SDN would have heard and posted something, but I could be wrong.Or people have already heard...there are only 7...
Aaah I was kind of thinking we'd know either way when it happened via a tweet or something. : /Or people have already heard...there are only 7...
Congrats!!!! What residency did you apply for? Great news!Off the waitlist as well, after applying to 3yr MD program last week!
Peds!Congrats!!!! What residency did you apply for? Great news!
Aaah I was kind of thinking we'd know either way when it happened via a tweet or something. : /
I asked the admissions office about it, and apparently, this is only the first week that they started giving out merit scholarships. No idea how many have been handed out already, but evidently they're not at 7 yet.
Last edited:
USNWR rankings are out. Officially a top 20 now 🙂
.
Last edited:
should i also contact office of admissions and let them know i uploaded one? I kind of combined update/ continued interest letter.yup 🙂
.
Last edited:
Is it possible to send in additional LORs given that the only way to add information is through self-uploaded documents?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called one time and they said they do not accept additional LORS. on another note, is it too late t be sending an update/ lletter of interest now? I'm worried that they will think it was my last choice or something but I didn't have anything substantial to say till this week.Is it possible to send in additional LORs given that the only way to add information is through self-uploaded documents?
.
Last edited:
If 3-year pathway interviews begin at the end of March, maybe people will start hearing back soon...
If 3-year pathway interviews begin at the end of March, maybe people will start hearing back soon...
Just got a 3 yr. pathway interview!
Congrats! Which residency program?Just got a 3 yr. pathway interview!
Congrats! Which residency program?
Thanks! PM'ed
Last edited:
I'm interested in getting off the wailist here but I'm concerned about if it's worth it or not. Do we know the average debt of a graduating student? will it be way more than other places? I love the school but I'm not sure if it's worth it try very hard to get off the wailist for financial reasons.
.
Last edited:
I called one time and they said they do not accept additional LORS. on another note, is it too late t be sending an update/ lletter of interest now? I'm worried that they will think it was my last choice or something but I didn't have anything substantial to say till this week.
Are you sure? I called to ask where to send in a LOR and they said to use the email...which made me assume they do accept them
I called a few weeks ago. Maybe things changed?Are you sure? I called to ask where to send in a LOR and they said to use the email...which made me assume they do accept them
Maybe someone who subscribes to the US News stuff can help out with this question?
I just looked it up the other day to make a spreadsheet comparing data points on schools. I think average indebtedness was $140K, but I'll confirm that when I have my computer.
I just looked it up the other day to make a spreadsheet comparing data points on schools. I think average indebtedness was $140K, but I'll confirm that when I have my computer.
Tuition
Full-time: $46,260
Required fees $4,800
Room and board $13,980
Average indebtedness of 2012 graduates who incurred medical school debt $140,662
Financial Aid Availability
Students receiving any financial aid 67%
Students receiving loans 62%
Students receiving grants/scholarships 32%
Students receiving work study 9%
is this more than other places like state schools? is thia generally considered worse or better than average?Tuition
Full-time: $46,260
Required fees $4,800
Room and board $13,980
Average indebtedness of 2012 graduates who incurred medical school debt $140,662
Financial Aid Availability
Students receiving any financial aid 67%
Students receiving loans 62%
Students receiving grants/scholarships 32%
Students receiving work study 9%
I don't know the national average. The state school I'm considering (UCSF) has an average indebtedness of 111K. Stanford is 102K, and Columbia is 140K. I have a USNWR account so can look up others you're looking at, if you want!is this more than other places like state schools? is thia generally considered worse or better than average?
.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called a few weeks ago. Maybe things changed?
I just wanted to clear this up for people in case they have the same question: NYU does accept additional LORs. (I just called them to ask)
Don't think anyone has said this yet, but thank you!! 😀
google gave me this chart: https://www.aamc.org/download/152968/data/debtfactcard.pdf
looks like the national average is ~180k for private schools
Wow, that's a pretty low debt average for UCSF and Stanford. I'm surprised that UCSF's is higher than Stanford since UCSF has the in-state tuition for their students, making tuition less than Stanford's I believe. Interesting. Thanks again.
It is interesting, but not actually too surprising. One of Stanford's major selling points is that med school graduates have some of the lowest indebtedness in the nation. And while state schools are 20K/year cheaper, they are public so have far fewer resources for need-based and merit-based financial aid. I had that same discovery when I was applying for college - I could have gone to Cal for 15K a year (not a bad deal by any means), but Harvard and Yale were free!
.
Last edited:
Does anyone know what some typical numbers are for the 3 yr pathway slots per specialty? How many interviews do they do for the 1-3 slots per specialty?
This is almost completely program-dependent, so I don't think you'll get a solid answer.