2013-2014 Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seems like we are keeping pace with last years movement so far unless something changes by weeks end

Members don't see this ad.

Got my financial aid packet a week ago which included an estimate of the fees we'll be paying.
Does anyone else think it's somewhat shady that we'll be paying tuition fees for a full term for the Summer 2014 quarter, even though we're only going to actually be in classes for half a term (the Summer B session)? Seems odd to me...

Got my financial aid packet a week ago which included an estimate of the fees we'll be paying.
Does anyone else think it's somewhat shady that we'll be paying tuition fees for a full term for the Summer 2014 quarter, even though we're only going to actually be in classes for half a term (the Summer B session)? Seems odd to me...

I assume you have been offered an acceptance if you are receiving your financial aid package. I wonder if they also have those available for us on the wait list.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what number they got to on the wait list last year? The 2012-2013 thread doesn't say.

Bjamm has it.

It's there on the thread on the last page.

They didn't get to the 50's until June 20 and then it just crawled to 54.

So this year may see less movement or maybe very close to what we had last year.

Based on the trend we have been having so far it's similar to last year, we will know more about the pattern by the end of next week, if nothing happens by this weeks end

This time last year they were at 38.

for anyone interested i updated the waitlist graph with last year's data and this year's data to this date

Attachments

• WL Graph w trends.xlsx
    20.9 KB · Views: 189

They did the same thing to my class this past year. We basically only had a few weeks of a "summer" term but we had to pay the same as a full term. If it's any consolation either way you'd still end up paying a ton of money for school.

for anyone interested i updated the waitlist graph with last year's data and this year's data to this date
Thank you! I don't know why, but having data to look at and analyze makes me feel better about the 'unknowns' of this whole torturous process.

Accepted this week off waitlist into MSTP program.

Reactions: 1 users
I also lived on Beaverton-Hillsdale highway and although the housing is wonderful (1,100 sq ft apartment for $825/month!) the commute was miserable. It was only 3 miles from OHSU but I couldn't walk most of it because there are no sidewalks and limited bike lanes. To take the bus you have to make a (very poorly timed) connection and two buses for a 3 mile commute is a little obnoxious.

If planning to live somewhere slightly further away, I would say it's pretty essential to live on an express bus line or bus line 8. That being said... when there is any kind of major accident in Portland or inclement weather, you can safely assume your commute with be severely impacted. Often times the buses just stop coming to OHSU when there is a major "event". It can be a real nightmare. When Portland had it's "huge" snow storm, I ended up walking to and from the tram because all the buses were extremely late and when they would show up, they were too full to accommodate more passengers. Obviously not everyone can/wants to live close to OHSU but it can be really helpful.

Thank you all for all the awesome info on housing. I've also been looking into the co-op option (http://www.ohsucoop.com/). Any thoughts?

Also while we're on the topic of financial aid, how long does it take for OHSU to send out your fin aid package? Do you have to fill out and submit FAFSA for them to send it to you? (I haven't heard back since April).

Good luck to everyone who's waiting, and to those accepted, see you in a couple of months!

No movement since last Wednesday
At this rate we will be lucky to pull out of the 4o's....

:scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for all the awesome info on housing. I've also been looking into the co-op option (http://www.ohsucoop.com/). Any thoughts?

Also while we're on the topic of financial aid, how long does it take for OHSU to send out your fin aid package? Do you have to fill out and submit FAFSA for them to send it to you? (I haven't heard back since April).

Good luck to everyone who's waiting, and to those accepted, see you in a couple of months!

I submitted my FAFSA on 4/30 and my financial aid package was mailed 5/16.

EDIT: My fin. aid. package was very simple (zippo) so I'm guessing if it's taking them longer to get back to you then they're probs putting something more comprehensive together?

Last edited:
I'm starting to dislike the number 40...

Reactions: 3 users
Gongrates - what is your alternate number at OHSU?
Other memebers: keep updating this link if you withdraw so that others can guess their chance.

For those of the OHSU community interested in the new Collaborative Life Sciences Building:
Here's a video preview of the new building on the South Waterfront:

And an announcement of its Grand Opening with self-tour option on June 26, 2-6 pm:
From its cavernous atrium to its modern lecture halls and fancy labs, the new Collaborative Life Sciences Building is sure to impress. As a member of the OHSU community, you’re invited to join colleagues at Portland State University and Oregon State University for a special tour June 26. This will be your only opportunity to see many aspects of the building before access is restricted or the spaces are in use.

Thursday, June 26
2 to 6 p.m.
2730 SW Moody Ave.

Parking is limited; plan to use the Tram and/or Streetcar.

Turned down my acceptance. It was a difficult choice. Best of luck all! :)

Sounds like they're building out the third and fourth years of the new curriculum: SoM just posted some internal job recs for part-time faculty to help with the M3 and M4 curriculum development.

Dr Mejicano talked about his vision for medical education, and a competency-based curriculum, at surgery grand rounds in April. Looks like the recording is available externally:
https://echo360ess.ohsu.edu:8443/ess/echo/presentation/6e305bfd-a456-4683-8fba-bd6ab884535d?ec=true

I'm *very* impressed by his vision for the future of education and how they'll implement it in the new curriculum. It's clear that a lot of thought has been put into the clinical transformation, I'm very excited to be joining the program at such a moment... what a great opportunity!

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like they're building out the third and fourth years of the new curriculum: SoM just posted some internal job recs for part-time faculty to help with the M3 and M4 curriculum development.

Dr Mejicano talked about his vision for medical education, and a competency-based curriculum, at surgery grand rounds in April. Looks like the recording is available externally:
https://echo360ess.ohsu.edu:8443/ess/echo/presentation/6e305bfd-a456-4683-8fba-bd6ab884535d?ec=true

I'm *very* impressed by his vision for the future of education and how they'll implement it in the new curriculum. It's clear that a lot of thought has been put into the clinical transformation, I'm very excited to be joining the program at such a moment... what a great opportunity!
Thanks for this. Will listen after work. I imagine there may be some kinks to work out as the first incoming class to experience the new curriculum, but I remain optimistic.

I was predicting earlier that we would be lucky to get out of the 40's

Looks like that's fast becoming a reality.

This time last year they were at 49 and then only moved 5 more for the rest of the summer.

We are the same time frame right now as last year so If we are lucky to even move 5 more we will still be in the high 40's

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was an extremely difficult decision and I'll miss Oregon dearly, but congrats to whoever gets my spot!

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was an extremely difficult decision and I'll miss Oregon dearly, but congrats to whoever gets my spot!

Which alternate # were you? Congrats on making your decision.

For those of the OHSU community interested in the new Collaborative Life Sciences Building:
Here's a video preview of the new building on the South Waterfront:

And an announcement of its Grand Opening with self-tour option on June 26, 2-6 pm:
From its cavernous atrium to its modern lecture halls and fancy labs, the new Collaborative Life Sciences Building is sure to impress. As a member of the OHSU community, you’re invited to join colleagues at Portland State University and Oregon State University for a special tour June 26. This will be your only opportunity to see many aspects of the building before access is restricted or the spaces are in use.

Thursday, June 26
2 to 6 p.m.
2730 SW Moody Ave.

Parking is limited; plan to use the Tram and/or Streetcar.

Grand Opening of the new Collaborative Life Sciences Building!
This is happening now through 6 pm! It would be fun if anyone who goes could post a review. :)

At #46 as of 6/30.

The list has consistently moved 1 spot each Monday for the past few weeks.

Discouraging pace :(

Is anyone else having a difficult time picking which "college" you want to belong to? There are three I want to chose!

At #46 as of 6/30.

We all hoped for more movement this year but based on the pattern and trend so far it looks like we will reach the high 40's

Is anyone else having a difficult time picking which "college" you want to belong to? There are three I want to chose!

You always have the option to switch later, so just pick whichever one you are leaning towards the most. Heck, you could probably rotate through all three of them if you really wanted to.

It might, it ended at 54 last year and has gone much further in previous years.

If it moves 3/week like it did so far this week it very well could surpass 55

At #46 as of 6/30.

getting better, it is 50 today! 55 can make it soon hopefully!?!

Reactions: 1 user
Was at number 50 July 1 last year too. So we were behind but have caught up greatly.

Let's hope it keeps on moving!

As #52, this makes me very excited...

Reactions: 2 users
The classes for the first two years are all on the waterfront right? In the new life sciences building?

The classes for the first two years are all on the waterfront right? In the new life sciences building?

That's the plan, although a few things may still be on the hill (clinical preceptors, study spaces, electronic medical records training, etc). Your student ID will give you free access to the tram, so it's nothing to worry about.

tomorrow is a new day after the long weekend and a chance for more movement!