2013-2014 Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for answering my question! But yeesh, that seems late relative to what I've seen elsewhere. OHSU sure does take its sweet time :rolleyes:

Yea it is definitely later than most. OHSU likes to hold spots in their class for later interviewees, so after the interview most get put on hold, they then wait till everyone has been interviewed and scored to give out decisions. Makes a lot of sense, but the waiting sure makes for a long year.

Members don't see this ad.

is it the same six essay questions this year as last year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we get a confirmation letter after we submit our secondary?

Do we get a confirmation letter after we submit our secondary?

No you won't, you have to check the secondary portal for updates. If selected for an interview you will receive an email (at least from years past)

Yea np, if you check the portal you will see when they have all the materials and checked that which is what being complete means for instate this usually takes a few days to a week or so. For out of state it looks like it's about a month

Yea np, if you check the portal you will see when they have all the materials and checked that which is what being complete means for instate this usually takes a few days to a week or so. For out of state it looks like it's about a month

I'm an OOS applicant. Will my application still be considered if my LORs aren't received by my designated submission deadline?

I'm an OOS applicant. Will my application still be considered if my LORs aren't received by my designated submission deadline?

I am not sure when they start officially reviewing it but from last year I was not marked complete until my LORs were received, I think that is a somewhat standard across the board at most schools

I don't know about that timeline - I submitted my secondary application a month ago and they still haven't updated my status to complete. I'm an IS!! :confused:

I'm really enjoy telling the ADCOMs how crappy of a person I am in these secondary questions :barf:

Are your LORs in?

Yep! All of them have been in since August 9th. After poking around on the portal, I found a line where OHSU says to give them 8 weeks to process the application

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yep! All of them have been in since August 9th. After poking around on the portal, I found a line where OHSU says to give them 8 weeks to process the application

Weird, just for reference,
I submitted 7/31 complete on August 15, I think my letters were in a few days before that for reference....I am a reapplicant but wouldn't think that would matter, last year I was marked complete about a week after my letters came in as well

Should I give them a call? I don't want to be that annoying premed...

Should I give them a call? I don't want to be that annoying premed...

I wouldn't just yet, on their website it says screening can take up to 12 weeks, if you do call supposedly they are really nice

Just for reference, I am OOS and submitted my secondary 08/06 and was just marked complete today.

Well I weakened and called the office (Kathy is so nice!). I was informed that my application is in process, they're just trying to verify my Oregon residency and I'll be finished. She told me that they have quite a volume to get through so it is taking 4-6 weeks to get people done.

I was just worried because today is my submission deadline, and I wanted to be complete by the deadline. But they can see I submitted 08/09 so it's all good. Thanks for the references guys!

Well I weakened and called the office (Kathy is so nice!). I was informed that my application is in process, they're just trying to verify my Oregon residency and I'll be finished. She told me that they have quite a volume to get through so it is taking 4-6 weeks to get people done.

I was just worried because today is my submission deadline, and I wanted to be complete by the deadline. But they can see I submitted 08/09 so it's all good. Thanks for the references guys!

Submission deadline is just for when you submitted to them not when they reviewed it. You'll be fine. Good luck!

My application just marked complete today! I submitted on 8/15

Woohoo! Was just processed and am now officially complete :) I wonder if it was because I called? In any case, I'm one step closer now! Good luck exitonly29, Thrillhouse, HamsterHuey, and Dianyla!

Last edited:
Woohoo! Was just processed and am now officially complete :) I wonder if it was because I called? In any case, I'm one step closer now! Good luck exitonly29, Thrillhouse, HamsterHuey, and Dianyla!

Dang that was quick! Bet that helped your anxiety levels a bit

Dang that was quick! Bet that helped your anxiety levels a bit

It really did! I figure now I'll be happy for another month, and then start to get anxious about interview invites :)

It really did! I figure now I'll be happy for another month, and then start to get anxious about interview invites :)

Yea it's a long process, I was on hold in December after interviewing and had to wait till may to hear news. It'll all be worth it in the end though. FYI last few years the first invites have came at the end of September and at my interview last year they said the first few tend to be in-state loaded, although I know plenty who interviewed as late as February last year.

Oh yea just for reference the incoming class has 132 people, 112 are oregon resident or oregon heritage. Average gpa was 3.66 and average mcat 31.7. 39 students were reapplicants. Average age is 26.

Oh yea just for reference the incoming class has 132 people, 112 are oregon resident or oregon heritage. Average gpa was 3.66 and average mcat 31.7. 39 students were reapplicants. Average age is 26.

That must have been a long and terrible wait after your interview :( That high number of reapplicants bodes well for you and me though!

I just hope they aren't too picky about the age since there's not much I can do about that.

That must have been a long and terrible wait after your interview :( That high number of reapplicants bodes well for you and me though!

I just hope they aren't too picky about the age since there's not much I can do about that.

It should be noted that the standard deviation of the age distribution is very high, or so it seems. There are probably around 20-30 people that are in the 22-24 range, so being young is by no means a deal breaker! Just make sure your maturity is apparent.

Thank you for your encouraging words, LogicofMan! I'll do my best to demonstrate my maturity :)

Thanks for the stats exitonly29. I am biting my nails again this year... I so badly want to get in and just get my medical career going, and that feeling of impatience probably isn't a good thing!

It should be noted that the standard deviation of the age distribution is very high, or so it seems. There are probably around 20-30 people that are in the 22-24 range, so being young is by no means a deal breaker! Just make sure your maturity is apparent.

Ya, they need a lot of young folk to offset me and one other that are ANCIENT.

There are plenty of people in the class that are young, but most have had a couple of years out of undergrad to do something else for a while.

I think I heard someone say that there are over 30 former EMTs in our class.

dsoz

Complete: 8/22 Hold for Interview: 9/13, OOS

Fingers crossed!

Wow! Congratulations you two!! I hope your interviews go wonderfully!! :D

MD/PhD II last night :soexcited: I was complete 08/23. PM for numbers.
I'm OOS, but I have deep ties with OR/OHSU (grew up in state but don't qualify under OR heritage policy, did a year of research at OHSU)

Congrats and good luck! Just out of curiosity, What interview dates were given?

Are you MD/PhD? Do they do II for MD/PhDs first?

FWIW hold for interview is not an II, they are just holding on to his app for a possible interview later,
I can't remember if that status had a good percentage of getting II or not from years past threads. I know last year on my interview day it was half MD/PHD and half regular MD. I think the MD/PHD interviews are done by like December

I'm not MD/PhD. I'm also just "on hold." I haven't received an interview yet but would assume that if they are putting people on hold, some IIs should start rolling out.

For those who are on hold, were notified via email of that status change?

Checked my status on a whim yesterday and it seems like I've been passed over for now. OOS MD so it seems expected this early in the cycle.

Checked my status on a whim yesterday and it seems like I've been passed over for now. OOS MD so it seems expected this early in the cycle.

Why do you think you've been passed over?

Why do you think you've been passed over?

It was this status: "Your file has been screened and is currently on hold for an interview, pending further review."

So, I guess it's not really passed over as seeing from other comments. We shall see :laugh:

Howdy, I was accepted as an OOS applicant last year, my top choice school, but ended up accepting a substantial scholarship at my in-state school, which was already half the price of OHSU. (If you're wondering, I had a huge pre existing undergrad debt and would've otherwise matriculated at OHSU.)

Anyway, I'm here to answer any questions you may have about applying, interviewing, or getting in; just PM me. I have interview day synopses in my MDApps. Please look there first.

Good luck!

Complete: 8/22 Hold for Interview: 9/13, OOS

Fingers crossed!

Question here (for you or anyone): does your application status actually SAY "your application is complete" or something like it? Did you get an email? I ask because when I go to print my submitted application, it says they have the letter packet I submitted, but there's no direct statement indicating that the application is complete when I check my status. This means they're probably still processing the letters of rec - yes?

And if there is a statement, how long did it take for you to get it? It's been over a month since I submitted, and I'm tempted to neurotically call and check, but I don't want to be that person.

Question here (for you or anyone): does your application status actually SAY "your application is complete" or something like it? Did you get an email? I ask because when I go to print my submitted application, it says they have the letter packet I submitted, but there's no direct statement indicating that the application is complete when I check my status. This means they're probably still processing the letters of rec - yes?

And if there is a statement, how long did it take for you to get it? It's been over a month since I submitted, and I'm tempted to neurotically call and check, but I don't want to be that person.

The online portal will say your application is complete. This varies for everyone. Mine only took a few days MargoPdx looks like was a month or so (scroll up on the comments) it days online it can take up to 12 weeks. You will not get an email though its just updated via the portal.