2013-2014 Oregon Health & Science University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Question here (for you or anyone): does your application status actually SAY "your application is complete" or something like it? Did you get an email? I ask because when I go to print my submitted application, it says they have the letter packet I submitted, but there's no direct statement indicating that the application is complete when I check my status. This means they're probably still processing the letters of rec - yes?

And if there is a statement, how long did it take for you to get it? It's been over a month since I submitted, and I'm tempted to neurotically call and check, but I don't want to be that person.

Yes, my status page says that my application is complete and what day it was completed. I didn't receive an email about it. It took over a month for my application to be complete after I submitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know the acceptance offers vs matriculated numbers for in state last year? Supposedly the US News report has these numbers. I only have the MSAR which just shows matriculated vs interviewed...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks man. That's the hope. Rooting for you too.

Thanks. Yeah, this summer during my bike and hiking trips, I just kept thinking: this is home and I can't imagine having to leave it. I freakin' love Oregon so much and hope I never have to leave.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Yeah, this summer during my bike and hiking trips, I just kept thinking: this is home and I can't imagine having to leave it. I freakin' love Oregon so much and hope I never have to leave.

I feel the exact same way about the Pacific Northwest. I've been in either Oregon or Washington since 3rd grade, and it actually hurts a little thinking about living somewhere else. REALLY sucks that there are so few medical schools here.

Good luck!

Anyone know the acceptance offers vs matriculated numbers for in state last year? Supposedly the US News report has these numbers. I only have the MSAR which just shows matriculated vs interviewed...

On their site it says offers about 220 for class size of 128. This year the class size is 132.

Favorite hiking/biking : waldo lake, mckenzie river trail, clear lake, and anything in oakridge

Ha, don't feel too bad you got in and have a nice scholarship too ;)

Still extraordinarily hard to give up your top choice, always wondering. But as I wondered today, I also realized I'd be doing the same thing at OHSU: "Should I've gone for the scholarship?" In the end, it's no wonder there's a majority of ppl staying IS for tuition purposes.

::sigh:: But still, that Id: "I want you back OHSU!" Then the Superego kicks in and makes you feel like crap.

/rant

Anyway, still here to answer questions, ESP for OOSers. :)

hello,

can anyone tell me how strict OHSU is about their eliglibility requirements in terms of the MCAT? I don't want to waste money on a secondary, if they're just going to reject it right away...

thanks in advance!!!

hello,

can anyone tell me how strict OHSU is about their eliglibility requirements in terms of the MCAT? I don't want to waste money on a secondary, if they're just going to reject it right away...

thanks in advance!!!

Are you OOS?

On their site it says offers about 220 for class size of 128. This year the class size is 132.

Yeah that's for instate and out of state though correct? I was wondering the discrepancy between in state acceptance offers and matriculants. Most of the difference in the total numbers is probably due to out of state applicants going elsewhere I'd imagine.

Yeah that's for instate and out of state though correct? I was wondering the discrepancy between in state acceptance offers and matriculants. Most of the difference in the total numbers is probably due to out of state applicants going elsewhere I'd imagine.

Yea that's just straight from their website. I have no idea how many in-state students turn OHSU down after an acceptance.

I feel the exact same way about the Pacific Northwest. I've been in either Oregon or Washington since 3rd grade, and it actually hurts a little thinking about living somewhere else. REALLY sucks that there are so few medical schools here.

Good luck!

No kidding, right! The NW is a special place indeed. I'll just have to suck it up and move if it doesn't happen this year, but really hoping I don't have to. Also my family (mom, dad, and sisters) have moved here to be closer. It would be nice to continue to have my friends and family support network.

Favorite hiking/biking : waldo lake, mckenzie river trail, clear lake, and anything in oakridge

For me: the Wallowas for backcountry skiing, biking: Crater Lake, Blue Mountains, John Day Fossil Bed, Hiking: Enchantments, and many, many other places. I just need to get accepted near mountains!

Yes, I'm OOS

Yea if you aren't in a mission group, I personally wouldn't spend the money unless it's your dream school/you have enough cash. Last year they said they hardly ever interview outside of the mission groups or something to that effect

Yea if you aren't in a mission group, I personally wouldn't spend the money unless it's your dream school/you have enough cash. Last year they said they hardly ever interview outside of the mission groups or something to that effect

I don't believe ANYONE outside a mission group was interviewed last year. However, read the mission group guidelines carefully. Ppl tend to skim over the words "mission group" and don't realize they could qualify.

:)

Still extraordinarily hard to give up your top choice, always wondering. But as I wondered today, I also realized I'd be doing the same thing at OHSU: "Should I've gone for the scholarship?" In the end, it's no wonder there's a majority of ppl staying IS for tuition purposes.

::sigh:: But still, that Id: "I want you back OHSU!" Then the Superego kicks in and makes you feel like crap.

/rant

Anyway, still here to answer questions, ESP for OOSers. :)

I, too, am around every couple of days. I just answered two people by PM asking questions. Congrats on the IIs for all that received them so far. This will be the first class in the new building, and the first class with the new curriculum that is being developed.

They are using my class as a bunch of lab rats to test out new stuff. We have all the expectations as the class before us, plus they are piling on new stuff to test out for the next year. Some of it is working, and some of it is having the bugs worked out of it. All I can say is I am jealous for the new anatomy lab that will be in place for next year. It will be SWEET.

dsoz

So I just realized this school had a deadline for me in August, so I am way past due!!

Do I bother still applying?....anybody I can talk to about this?

Also, do they given preferences to Washington residents over, say, New York?

So I just realized this school had a deadline for me in August, so I am way past due!!

I'd give admissions a call and see what they say.

YES! apply. They give deadlines so there is not a huge rush of secondaries at the end, but I don't think they are hard and fast deadlines. I don't think it will kill your application to send in your secondary late.

As for preference... I always heard that in the past it was almost impossible for WA residents to get into OHSU, and Oregon residents to get into UW. But there are at least two people in my class that are from Washington, and there were a couple of people in last year's thread that were Oregon residents that got into UW. So the hard and fast rule of residency seems to be breaking down.

As to preference for WA over NY? I doubt it. The school wants the best students that it can possibly get that meet the "mission based groups." There is a bias for OR residents, but after that, it does not matter.

Good luck.

dsoz

I tried looking on their website and couldn't find the number for admissions. Could someone post it or PM it to me? Thanks!

Last years thread said something like 500 interviews for 140 seats.

TYPICAL PROFILE OF ADMISSIONS CYCLE AND ENTERING CLASS

Total applications received: 4,600+
Of the 4,600 applications received, approx. 9% are Oregonians, 91% are non-residents
Applicants Interviewed: 450+
Number of acceptance offers made: 220+
Class size: 132
Profile of Entering Class:
70% residents of Oregon
Average age: 26
Average total GPA: 3.66
Average science GPA: 3.61
Average MCAT: 31
30% are previous applicants
Represent 70+ different undergraduate institutions

Last edited:

Total applications received: 5,225+
Of the 5,225 applications received, approx. 9% are Oregonians, 91% are non-residents
80% residents of Oregon Many of the "IS" students aren't Oregonians per se. Some have been oos for a long time and didn't correct it for the entry questionnaires
Average MCAT: 31 (breakdown I think was closer to 32 this year, maybe Dsoz will correct me? I think it was ~10+/10+/11+)
30% are previous applicants true
7 international students (or at least internationally born)

Changes for this year in bold

Thanks for the corrections. I pulled that straight from their website........

Thanks for the corrections. I pulled that straight from their website........

No worries. I got my info from the orientation slides. Though the real reason I was posting (before my laptop restarted) was not to post corrections--but to put a plug in for OHSU.

I just wanted to mention how excellent the culture of students is here. I admit this may end up being the culture for many schools, but really all of the upper-classmen really go above and beyond to help the MS1's. This is something I know will get paid forward to the next generation.

The upperclassmen have posted nearly all student material/resources (as have many of us now) to cloud servers for all to share. They host tutoring sessions weekly (often with pizza) for ms1 courses. They set up mock lab practicals for us on the Sunday morning prior to our Monday exams... just to name a few things. It's really a mature community of sharing and you'll be amazed how much we really take care of our own here.

I just had a great encounter with one of the upperclassmen today and thought I would come share. It wasn't a vibe I got during interview/second look and it was the opposite of some of the vibes I got at certain east coast schools.

it's all anecdotal--but really an awesome group here.

Good luck all.

Total applications received: 4,600+
Of the 4,600 applications received, approx. 9% are Oregonians, 91% are non-residents
70% residents of Oregon
Average MCAT: 31
30% are previous applicants

Ha with those number being OOS I have about a 0.5% chance of being accepted. Why did I apply here?

I think askamsky51 is correct about the MCAT. It was very close to 32 average for this year's entering class.

dsoz

Phil Knightly (Nike' co-founder) just announced that he and his wife would put up half of a billion-dollar push for cancer research at OHSU's cancer institute.
One more reason to make me really really want an interview here!

Phil Knightly (Nike' co-founder) just announced that he and his wife would put up half of a billion-dollar push for cancer research at OHSU's cancer institute.
One more reason to make me really really want an interview here!

Yea pretty awesome, OHSU now needs to step up because to get the gift they have to raise 500 million of their own. That's a ton of money for research. And he already has donated 225 million before.

With the stipulation that OHSU can get the $500M matched by additional donors...

Still, pretty cool. I imagine the recent hot news about successfully clearing SIV in simian test subjects (as prep for trying to do the same for HIV in humans) is going to fuel interest and donors/funding.

II today! First of the cycle for me. So stoked to visit Portland!