2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone that's going to the 10/10 interview heard from the security office or from a student host yet? Thank you

Govt shutdown is affecting this school. Anyone else in contact with the admissions office?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that's going to the 10/10 interview heard from the security office or from a student host yet? Thank you

I haven't heard anything about the 10/10 interview, but I haven't contacted admissions either. Does anyone have info? I don't want to call/email/overwhelm them if I don't have to.

The security office is definitely furloughed right now, and the current students are in charge of volunteering to host prospective students. Since our first final exam is on the 11th, I'll bet many students don't want to manage being a host that week.

Members don't see this ad :)
So after some considerable radio silence I finally heard back from the Army HPSP/USUHS program manager with LOA instructions and format...if anyone wants a copy, please PM me your .mil e-mail address.

The security office is definitely furloughed right now, and the current students are in charge of volunteering to host prospective students. Since our first final exam is on the 11th, I'll bet many students don't want to manage being a host that week.

Thanks. I looked at the class schedule so that's kinda what I figured would happen. So if security doesn't contact me I would just bring the paperwork as normal or is there something else the tell you/ask for? Good luck on your test!

I will be at the 10/10 and my host contacted me approximately 10 days ago. The only communication I received from USUHS lately was that Concorde was being shut down, which was irrelevant for me as my physical and qualification is already complete.

Thanks. I looked at the class schedule so that's kinda what I figured would happen. So if security doesn't contact me I would just bring the paperwork as normal or is there something else the tell you/ask for? Good luck on your test!

If you received the f-86 paper work for the security clearance just fill that out and bring it with you to the interview. Other than that, security doesn't actually contact you.

This is the link to a copy of the paperwork that security would have sent you. http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf86.pdf
Or you can just google SF-86 security form.

Fill it out, bring a copy with you on interview day, and MAKE SURE TO SAVE A COPY FOR YOURSELF!!! If you get accepted, they will make you fill out another copy of the same thing. It's about 60 pages and takes about 2 hours, so if you have your original copy it's much easier.

Reactions: 1 user
II for 11/12 received.

CA resident. 32 MCAT, 3.8 gpa.

primary submitted 7/3, secondary submitted 9/6

Does USUHS accept 'In the Area' emails? has anyone experienced positive feedback from sending one? I will be in DC for an interview next month and am wondering if I should bother sending one. Thanks

I had an update on my DodMerb file as well so it seems that office is still working through the shutdown.

II for 11/12 received.

CA resident. 32 MCAT, 3.8 gpa.

primary submitted 7/3, secondary submitted 9/6
When did you receive your II? 10/05? Saturday???
My secondary is completed on 09/10. It will be officially 4 weeks on 10/07, which they said will only take 3-4 weeks to process.
Should I email them or call them??
Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you receive your II? 10/05? Saturday???
My secondary is completed on 09/10. It will be officially 4 weeks on 10/07, which they said will only take 3-4 weeks to process.
Should I email them or call them??
Thank you so much!!!

who is "they" ..... if it only takes 3-4 weeks to process, for SURE i have been rejected. I have been complete since 7/3. I sent an email about a month ago asking if my app was under review and they said it was.

Anyone complete since early July still waiting?

who is "they" ..... if it only takes 3-4 weeks to process, for SURE i have been rejected. I have been complete since 7/3. I sent an email about a month ago asking if my app was under review and they said it was.

+1

I submitted my secondary before my primary was verified, so secondary 7/20 and primary was verified on 8/2 (if I remember correctly), so they've had mine since then! I emailed Sheena for a status update the middle of September (9/17, to be exact), and she just said it was out for review. No other info. Kinda sucks, because this is my #1 school! :(

What is the admission process?

The USU Admissions Committee works on a "rolling" admissions basis. This means that an applicant's file is advanced onto the next phase as soon as the previous phase is completed.

The process begins with an application to AMCAS. USU advises applicants to apply in June, prior to the year of matriculation. Within 7 days of submitting the AMCAS application, supplemental materials are emailed to the applicant.

As soon as the forms are returned and the letters of recommendation are received, the file is sent to the Committee to make a decision regarding an invitation to interview. This review usually takes three to four weeks.

All interviews are conducted at USU. Once the interview is completed, the file is sent to the Committee again to make a recommendation for acceptance. If recommended and concurred in by the Dean of the School of Medicine, the applicant is offered a conditional acceptance. This means that the person holds a place in the class but will not receive commissioning papers or official orders until the physical exam and security check are cleared and the acceptance form is returned. Once the physical and security checks are cleared, the applicant is offered an unconditional acceptance. Commissioning papers and orders are then processed.

The Committee receives many files and each one is carefully reviewed. Please be patient while awaiting a response.

What is the admission process?

The USU Admissions Committee works on a "rolling" admissions basis. This means that an applicant's file is advanced onto the next phase as soon as the previous phase is completed.

The process begins with an application to AMCAS. USU advises applicants to apply in June, prior to the year of matriculation. Within 7 days of submitting the AMCAS application, supplemental materials are emailed to the applicant.

As soon as the forms are returned and the letters of recommendation are received, the file is sent to the Committee to make a decision regarding an invitation to interview. This review usually takes three to four weeks.

All interviews are conducted at USU. Once the interview is completed, the file is sent to the Committee again to make a recommendation for acceptance. If recommended and concurred in by the Dean of the School of Medicine, the applicant is offered a conditional acceptance. This means that the person holds a place in the class but will not receive commissioning papers or official orders until the physical exam and security check are cleared and the acceptance form is returned. Once the physical and security checks are cleared, the applicant is offered an unconditional acceptance. Commissioning papers and orders are then processed.

The Committee receives many files and each one is carefully reviewed. Please be patient while awaiting a response.

thxs

): </3

Hey everyone, another MSI joining the fray, just in case you need any other questions answered. I'm in the USAF and I don't have prior service but I grew up as an AF dependent.

The MSIs and MSIIs have their first batch of finals this week, so please bear with us, we will respond ASAP! Also, we have a mock deployment training exercise sometime next week, so we may also be unable to respond.

thxs

): </3

Don't lose hope. Until you've actually been notified that you're rejected, don't assume you're rejected. I submitted my secondary to USU last year on June 29 (I remember because it was so close to my birthday!). I didn't hear back from them until 4 days before the last interview date (at the end of February). I think I had been stuck on a semi-waitlist pile, and someone probably dropped an interview seat, so I was called up. I was sure I had been rejected, I mean, June to February is ridiculous for a school that's so strongly rolling admissions, but I clearly wasn't since I'm now an MS1.

What I'm saying is it may not happen, but don't assume that it definitely won't happen. Keep your chin up, and stay positive. You never know.

Late applicant to USUHS for the Class of 2018 here.

34 y/o non-trad
non-medical background (IT-related undergrad/grad degrees)
MCAT (8/22/2013): 28 (9/10/9)
cGPA 3.39, sGPA 3.25
13 years commissioned service
ECs: See MD Apps profile

AMCAS submitted 10/4/2013, e-mail notification from USUHS to complete secondary received same day

Per the "Pay Our Military Act" (POMA), most of the DoD has returned to work this week (although pay remains another issue), so I imagine that USUHS Admissions has normal hours in the event anybody needs to contact them.

Best of luck to everybody.

Don't lose hope. Until you've actually been notified that you're rejected, don't assume you're rejected. I submitted my secondary to USU last year on June 29 (I remember because it was so close to my birthday!). I didn't hear back from them until 4 days before the last interview date (at the end of February). I think I had been stuck on a semi-waitlist pile, and someone probably dropped an interview seat, so I was called up. I was sure I had been rejected, I mean, June to February is ridiculous for a school that's so strongly rolling admissions, but I clearly wasn't since I'm now an MS1.

What I'm saying is it may not happen, but don't assume that it definitely won't happen. Keep your chin up, and stay positive. You never know.

wowww you waited a long time. Were they sending out rejections during your wait from June-Feb? From your experience on sdn last year, when do you think they start sending out rejections?

thx:thumbup:

ii today for 11/21!!! Has anyone tried the Student Host Program??

ii today for 11/21!!! Has anyone tried the Student Host Program??

Congrats! I did the student host program. It was great. Got to meet the students in their own environment where you can ask them questions about the school and military. Might be tougher as school progresses because their schedules will become more hectic. No harm in trying. Just make sure to book a hotel room that's refundable just in case it does or doesn't work out.

Does anyone know if acceptance phone calls will start on the 15th or 16th this year?

What has everyone else been hearing about how long it will take us to hear back? I interviewed on 10/10 and the email they sent and one of the deans said 4-6 weeks but when I signed out, one of the admissions conuselors told us 8-12

Can anyone comment on the cost and benefit sheet that was distributed during the interview process? One of their benefits was higher pay during residency where they said it ranged from 80-100k whereas civilian residents' salary ranged from 50-55k.

Everywhere I look online says that military residents make 65k at most. I know going to USUHS shouldn't be a choice made because of the money, but if they are trying to sell the school with that as a benefit where are they getting their facts?

Can anyone comment on the cost and benefit sheet that was distributed during the interview process? One of their benefits was higher pay during residency where they said it ranged from 80-100k whereas civilian residents' salary ranged from 50-55k.

Everywhere I look online says that military residents make 65k at most. I know going to USUHS shouldn't be a choice made because of the money, but if they are trying to sell the school with that as a benefit where are they getting their facts?

It depends a lot on where you live and if you have dependents. But basically, 242 (BAS) + 5116 (Base pay for O-3 w/ 4 years) + about 1800 for BAH (varies by where you live and if married/have kids) = about 7200 per month is around 82000 per year.

You can search for military pay charts to check it out for yourself.

If you look at the paper they gave you that you are quoting those numbers from, at the bottom it says where they got those numbers from. They are assuming your residency will be in DC for that pay, it will be less by a little in most other places.

It depends a lot on where you live and if you have dependents. But basically, 242 (BAS) + 5116 (Base pay for O-3 w/ 4 years) + about 1800 for BAH (varies by where you live and if married/have kids) = about 7200 per month is around 82000 per year.

You can search for military pay charts to check it out for yourself.

Actually, our base pay is 3835 - it's O3 over 0, not O3 over 4 years. The clock resets when you graduate. Otherwise, that's accurate.

The increase to O2 you mean? No, I didn't. They keep talking about doing that, though it sounds more promising lately.

No I meant the increase in base pay after you hit two years as on O-1. There's supposed to be one after three years too. Not a big deal for me. I'd go there either way. I just find it interesting that if you are considered active duty while going to school, I would have expected that time to count toward pay.

Got the acceptance call about an hour ago. So stoked about my first acceptance! I ranked Army-5, AF-4, and Navy-4. They gave me Navy.

Nice dude! I figured they would be starting tomorrow, based on what I saw in last year's thread.

Thanks, me too. I was not expecting anything until tomorrow. They also called back and said they made a mistake. They thought I preferred Navy, so that's why they gave me that spot. I actually got an Army sport.

Thanks, me too. I was not expecting anything until tomorrow. They also called back and said they made a mistake. They thought I preferred Navy, so that's why they gave me that spot. I actually got an Army sport.

If you have time... I have a couple questions: When did you interview? Are you currently enrolled in classes?

Thanks. And congratulations!

If you have time... I have a couple questions: When did you interview? Are you currently enrolled in classes?

Thanks. And congratulations!

Thanks! I interviewed on September 12th and I am not enrolled in classes. I graduated 2 years ago and I've been doing research since then.

Kind of surprised they called a day earlier than they said they would and you were thre only acceptance on sdn today. Who called you for the acceptance?

Kind of surprised they called a day earlier than they said they would and you were thre only acceptance on sdn today. Who called you for the acceptance?

My handler, Ms. Romero. And then Dr. Siegel called me about 10 minutes later to clear up the Navy / Army mix up. I'm as surprised as you.

Congrats on the acceptance. I interview on 10/24. Very excited for this opportunity as usuhs is one of my top schools as well. I have navy officer friends who told me how physical fitness was somewhat of a joke for the doctor candidates and I am also excited to prove them all wrong :).

Which hotels allowed you to cancel 2 days in advance? The hotels I called did not want me to use them as a backup plan to the host program and said that is not a valid reason for cancellation, hence I did not book my hotels yet. I can see their point though.

For all you 10/24 interviewers, best of luck and I hope to meet you all soon!

I received an acceptance as well from ms Romero and was followed up by the same doctor.

Grats to everyone receiving acceptances. Keeping my fingers crossed that they're starting early because they have more people to call than they originally anticipated.

No I meant the increase in base pay after you hit two years as on O-1. There's supposed to be one after three years too. Not a big deal for me. I'd go there either way. I just find it interesting that if you are considered active duty while going to school, I would have expected that time to count toward pay.

Ah, yes your TIS will increase to 3 years and then reset when you graduate (you won't quite make 4 years, I was about a month short). It has to do with the fact that those years don't count towards your 20 years for retirement.

Congrats on the acceptances! :)

Ah, yes your TIS will increase to 3 years and then reset when you graduate (you won't quite make 4 years, I was about a month short). It has to do with the fact that those years don't count towards your 20 years for retirement.

Thanks for the clarification.

Congrats on the acceptance. I interview on 10/24. Very excited for this opportunity as usuhs is one of my top schools as well. I have navy officer friends who told me how physical fitness was somewhat of a joke for the doctor candidates and I am also excited to prove them all wrong :).

Which hotels allowed you to cancel 2 days in advance? The hotels I called did not want me to use them as a backup plan to the host program and said that is not a valid reason for cancellation, hence I did not book my hotels yet. I can see their point though.

For all you 10/24 interviewers, best of luck and I hope to meet you all soon!

I used the Sleep Inn from the travel info they sent with the interview materials. My host let me stay two nights and I was able to cancel the day of for both of those nights, even 1/2 an hour before I was supposed to check in.

I also got my acceptance from Ms. Romero and Dr. Saguil yesterday, woohoo!

Any acceptances today?

For those people who received calls yesterday, was Ms. Romero your designated contact based on your last name?