2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any acceptances today?

For those people who received calls yesterday, was Ms. Romero your designated contact based on your last name?

I know of four Sept12 interviewers who have not yet received word. I am one of them. My handler is Ms. Mayo.
Good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of four Sept12 interviewers who have not yet received word. I am one of them. My handler is Ms. Mayo.
Good luck to all.

I also interviewed on Sept. 12th and Ms. Mayo is my admin contact as well. I wonder how they are making calls this year...seems different than previous years???

Any acceptances today?

For those people who received calls yesterday, was Ms. Romero your designated contact based on your last name?

Yeah, my point of contact has always been Ms. Romero.

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s like waiting for a girl to call you back…only much much worse. Ms. Mayo is my contact as well having interviewed on Sep 12th.

Is this admissions office receptive to applicant phone calls requesting a status update?

Sept. 12th here. Ms. Mayo was also my point of contact. No word yet.

In the past, it looks like Dr. Saguil did most of the calling. Maybe this year he decided it was a little too much work for him. It's almost 5pm on the east coast. Maybe no phone calls today. :( The waiting is pretty stressful, but at least we know that Ms. Mayo hasn't started calling yet.

Congrats on your acceptance as well. I did not consider Sleep Inn because it was 11 miles away from the school. But if they really are that flexible about cancellations, then I might just go for it.

I am still hoping/waiting for a host response. I suppose I will wait until next Monday to book a hotel. Thanks for the information.

Hearing all these happy stories of acceptances is making me more and more excited for my interview! thanks you all!

Conditional acceptance just now. Navy. Dr Saguil called.

The relief is palpable.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! looks like I'll be waiting for the call at another time.

Check your email. Myself and ten others got this email about ten minutes ago. Note the last paragraph!
No call yet...

Definitely feel free to share but be cautious about straight up copying and posting e-mail content directed only to you :D highly unlikely a big deal but just never want anyone to raise a brow against you

Does anyone know why even though I chose navy we all have to pass army standards? I know it is more stringent but what is the purpose of having different standards for each branch if we have to meet the most difficult ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

First off, congrats to all those sitting on acceptances. Sure you guys will make great additions to our military!

Real reason for post though is to see what you guys think of my situation. I got the secondary on June 30th right after AMCAS submission. Sent it back mid July, and have been in almost complete darkness since then. Was contacted by Ms. Ferrell on Sep. 17 about an Institutional Action that I have (Some buddies and I got cited for shooting an airsoft gun outside the dorm. Hopefully this is not taken too seriously). Other than that, nothing. I've got high stats, good (in my biased opinion) ECs, and etc. and I am really serious about USUHS. I'd really prefer USUHS to taking HPSP at my state school. Soooo I'm wondering if A) that IA is really killing me, B) I must have blown it with the secondary essay or something, C) Interviews are still going out and I should wait, or D) I should call and politely ask about my status. I was hesitant to call b/c they are surely busy, but I'd like to know if I need to let my hopes down softly.

Thoughts?

First off, congrats to all those sitting on acceptances. Sure you guys will make great additions to our military!

Real reason for post though is to see what you guys think of my situation. I got the secondary on June 30th right after AMCAS submission. Sent it back mid July, and have been in almost complete darkness since then. Was contacted by Ms. Ferrell on Sep. 17 about an Institutional Action that I have (Some buddies and I got cited for shooting an airsoft gun outside the dorm. Hopefully this is not taken too seriously). Other than that, nothing. I've got high stats, good (in my biased opinion) ECs, and etc. and I am really serious about USUHS. I'd really prefer USUHS to taking HPSP at my state school. Soooo I'm wondering if A) that IA is really killing me, B) I must have blown it with the secondary essay or something, C) Interviews are still going out and I should wait, or D) I should call and politely ask about my status. I was hesitant to call b/c they are surely busy, but I'd like to know if I need to let my hopes down softly.

Thoughts?

Just wanted to let you know that I have an IA on my applciation for being drunk in the dorms freshman year and I had my interview last week. Maybe they put you back in the mix of people as of September 17 so you'll have to wait a little longer for an interview invite. Hoepfully this helps

I just realized I did something so unfathomably stupid... I forgot to check out at the end of my interview day (Sep 19... yea I did not realize it until today... fml). How bad do you think this will hurt me? I'm planning to call them to apologize profusely.

I don't know if this helps my case, but I thought my interviews went extremely well. I really enjoyed everything, and by the end of that day, USUHS became my number one school. So I really just can't believe I forgot to do something as simple as check out. I mean after my interviews, I didn't just leave, I went and talked to some of the deans. But again I can't believe checking out did not occur to me to be the logical thing to do at the end of it all.

Am I overreacting to my slip up or can this really screw me over? My greatest worry is that they took this to mean I am not interested, which is why I want to call them so badly to explain 1) that I am so sorry and 2) that I am actually extremely interested, but it's midnight on the east coast!!! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight...

Thanks for replying lab24. That's kind of reassuring to know that they didn't push all IAs to a dark corner to languish. Hope you hear good things from them soon!

Awaiting other replies. Mostly I'm concerned with: does this forum think it is inadvisable to inquire about application status at this point?

I just realized I did something so unfathomably stupid... I forgot to check out at the end of my interview day (Sep 19... yea I did not realize it until today... fml). How bad do you think this will hurt me? I'm planning to call them to apologize profusely.

I don't know if this helps my case, but I thought my interviews went extremely well. I really enjoyed everything, and by the end of that day, USUHS became my number one school. So I really just can't believe I forgot to do something as simple as check out. I mean after my interviews, I didn't just leave, I went and talked to some of the deans. But again I can't believe checking out did not occur to me to be the logical thing to do at the end of it all.

Am I overreacting to my slip up or can this really screw me over? My greatest worry is that they took this to mean I am not interested, which is why I want to call them so badly to explain 1) that I am so sorry and 2) that I am actually extremely interested, but it's midnight on the east coast!!! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight...

I would bet there's at least one person who forgets to check out at every interview day. Of all the things you could have messed up on (being late, missing an interview, etc.), forgetting to check out is almost certainly the least important.

Thoughts?

I was 5 minutes late to the morning presentation and I got in so I think you're ok. You could call if you are really worried. It's good to be conciencious but you might also be bringing a negative to their attention that might otherwise be overlooked.

I called and they were very kind and reassuring about it. They basically told me that it was no big deal and that I don't need to stress about it. So I definitely overreacted. They said it happens and actually I was not the only one who did not check out that day. They also reassured me that this would not factor into the admission committee's decision... fingers crossed

Does anyone know why even though I chose navy we all have to pass army standards? I know it is more stringent but what is the purpose of having different standards for each branch if we have to meet the most difficult ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't know the exact reason for this, but it only applies to when you're applying. If you choose to go to usuhs, once you get there you'll start following the standards for your branch. I think it's just easier on admissions if they only have one standard for applicants. Once you're in, you'll do your PRT/whatever they call it in the other branches with just your service - so you'll have an HM1 or HMC in charge of your weigh-in and running your PRT.

any ii invites lately?

I ended up writing a LOI and sent it in last week.

Accepted. Army. So f*cking stoked.

Congrats to the rest of you with acceptances

Accepted. Army. So f*cking stoked.

Congrats to the rest of you with acceptances

Congratulations. I missed a call from Col Saguil earlier. It's going to be a long weekend waiting for his call (hopefully) on Monday.

Howdy all! Does anyone know the statistics for what percent of applicants USUHS interviews, and out of the the interviewees, what percent they accept? Interviewed Oct 4th, absolute dream school. I wish to join the army. My grandfather was an army doc. If accepted here I will turn down my civilian offers, I am an HPSP candidate, but being active duty NOW is what I would prefer. Bethesda is amazing, and then in m3 and m4 we get to move to a new city. So awesome!!

Howdy all! Does anyone know the statistics for what percent of applicants USUHS interviews, and out of the the interviewees, what percent they accept? Interviewed Oct 4th, absolute dream school. I wish to join the army. My grandfather was an army doc. If accepted here I will turn down my civilian offers, I am an HPSP candidate, but being active duty NOW is what I would prefer. Bethesda is amazing, and then in m3 and m4 we get to move to a new city. So awesome!!

Hi, I just had my interview on 10/24/13. USUHS is truly amazing. I loved it. during the interviews, they mentioned they will accept 56% of the interviewees. That is partly because they have a very strong screening process for one to even get an interview. Hope that helps.

Hi, I just had my interview on 10/24/13. USUHS is truly amazing. I loved it. during the interviews, they mentioned they will accept 56% of the interviewees. That is partly because they have a very strong screening process for one to even get an interview. Hope that helps.
Sweet! Do you think because we interviewed early, and since there is rolling admissions, that we might have slightly higher than a 56 percent chance? 56 is super good anyway, I'm just looking for ways to calm myself down so I can focus on my schooling a little better right now. Every sentence of quantum mechanics I am rereading 3 or 4 times because I can't focus. I keep am imagining myself at basic officer training meeting new people, or working with 3 other like-minded army folks on our new cadaver, or walking through walter reed and just feeling awesome....I know once the reality of med school hits the **** is going to hit the fan, but a brother can dream! Bethesda is too awesome. The NIH is too awesome. Walter reed is too awesome. The basic science research labs at USUHS = too awesome. Dr Aviva Symes (Prof at USUHS) work with cytokins role in neuronal scaring from TBI's = too awesome. The only place thats cooler than Walter reed imo is SAMMC, and if we wish to do a rotation their we can totally request to do it. Man o man. Too excited. Too nervous. Oh, and a cool tidbit about SAMMC is that Univ of Tex San Anton med students also get to do rotations there, so we collab with them and compare and contrast our lives. I'm a dreamer.

Sweet! Do you think because we interviewed early, and since there is rolling admissions, that we might have slightly higher than a 56 percent chance? 56 is super good anyway, I'm just looking for ways to calm myself down so I can focus on my schooling a little better right now. Every sentence of quantum mechanics I am rereading 3 or 4 times because I can't focus. I keep am imagining myself at basic officer training meeting new people, or working with 3 other like-minded army folks on our new cadaver, or walking through walter reed and just feeling awesome....I know once the reality of med school hits the **** is going to hit the fan, but a brother can dream! Bethesda is too awesome. The NIH is too awesome. Walter reed is too awesome. The basic science research labs at USUHS = too awesome. Dr Aviva Symes (Prof at USUHS) work with cytokins role in neuronal scaring from TBI's = too awesome. The only place thats cooler than Walter reed imo is SAMMC, and if we wish to do a rotation their we can totally request to do it. Man o man. Too excited. Too nervous. Oh, and a cool tidbit about SAMMC is that Univ of Tex San Anton med students also get to do rotations there, so we collab with them and compare and contrast our lives. I'm a dreamer.

Chances are definitely higher interviewing this early.

On another note, I got the acceptance call earlier today!! Getting a call on a Sunday speaks volumes for how dedicated the staff is to their jobs. I can't believe I will be at this amazing school next year.

Yea buddy

On another note, I got the acceptance call earlier today!! Getting a call on a Sunday speaks volumes for how dedicated the staff is to their jobs. I can't believe I will be at this amazing school next year.
!

Holy cow brother (sister?), heck yeah!! Congrats, I interviewed on the same day as you. Hopefully the cards play out as nicely for me as they have for you. I just loved the atmosphere at that school. I love Dr. Saguil. I love the integration of military education with medical school. I love the idea of being active duty while in class. I love how there is a unifying factor between students that is greater than just medicine, and I love that we will share the same unifying factor with our fellow students as we will with a large portion of our patient body (the unifying factor being the military). Are you prior service? Hope i get to get the same good news as you, and I hope to see you there. Did you get your first choice service?. I really enjoyed my interview there.

Just as a head's up, your "fire team" for cadavers/labs in general consists of four people, all of whom are from different branches. Your day-dreaming about an Army cadaver team is slightly off, but try and relax and enjoy the other things going on in your life. :)

:eek: Thanks! It just keeps getting better! :)

Is the research done under a faculty mentor? And does the research occur under one of the USU institutes, or is it independent?

Also, I noticed it said that the project starts in MS-I, but most of the work is done in MS-IV. How will that work if rotations are done elsewhere? (My understanding is that rotations could happen at any military hospital)

I'm responding to this because it doesn't appear that your question was ever answered. I have talked with a number of professors about research opportunities here (I was "non-trad" myself w/ grad school & research), and it seems like it's really up to you. I have a friend who already has a one-year+ study set up to go, and I am going to get in touch with the local plastic/reconstructive surgeons at Walter Reed for research opportunities. During my first year med student interview (to check up on us after the first module), my interviewer mentioned that we could opt to do our research at a different location (base/post, hospital, state, etc), provided there was money for it whenever we wanted to start. Something to consider. :)

I interviewed on the 12th of September. I know it is not good news that I haven't been accepted yet. Has anyone heard of someone getting accepted late despite interviewing early? I’m waiting to submit an update after completing some milestones but it could be another month. I fell like an update is the only thing that could save me at this point.

Haven't seen any updates about recent IIs. I'm still hoping to get one, though I submitted my secondary back in July and didn't hear anything.

Does anyone know if this is the kind of school which is open to letters of intent/interest for those who haven't recieved interview invites yet?

Haven't seen any updates about recent IIs. I'm still hoping to get one, though I submitted my secondary back in July and didn't hear anything.

Does anyone know if this is the kind of school which is open to letters of intent/interest for those who haven't recieved interview invites yet?

+1

I CAN'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING! Every single phone call is making my stomach drop. I called my mom and asked her to not call me, I told her that I will call her. If someone calls me when I am facetiming, my phone automatically hangs up on the person who is calling me. So I am not facetiming either. and I am praying that i get to hear from Doc Saguil sooner than later. if i get in, im declining my other applications, renting out the entire park near my house, buying a keg and getting the public alcohol permit, and inviting everyone i know at. I have a midterm in quantum mechanics Weds and I swear I just cant focus, reading about eigenfunctions of hermitian operators that are orthogonal when all i am thinking about is my phone is not a good mix

I CAN'T FOCUS ON ANYTHING! Every single phone call is making my stomach drop. I called my mom and asked her to not call me, I told her that I will call her. If someone calls me when I am facetiming, my phone automatically hangs up on the person who is calling me. So I am not facetiming either. and I am praying that i get to hear from Doc Saguil sooner than later. if i get in, im declining my other applications, renting out the entire park near my house, buying a keg and getting the public alcohol permit, and inviting everyone i know at. I have a midterm in quantum mechanics Weds and I swear I just cant focus, reading about eigenfunctions of hermitian operators that are orthogonal when all i am thinking about is my phone is not a good mix

Just relax. If it's meant to be it will happen. If not it's not the end of the world. Go enjoy your life before you can't because of the stressors of medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Haha, I'm sending a screenshot of this to the next person who asks me what applying to med school is like.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone has heard about interviews lately as well.

--> My application wasn't marked as complete until 10/11 since my last few LORs came in at a crawl.
(Submitted the secondary at the end of July and AMCAS processed mid-August for whatever it's worth.)
--> Got a follow up question from the admissions committee a few days later, responded same day, and got a confirmation email 10/16, so I guess you could call that my application's final completion date. (And, yes, I know... late completion at USUHS = application kryptonite :eek: ... which is balls since they're definitely one of my first choice schools)

Any of you past applicants have something similar happen with your application timetable? And if so, when did you hear back again?

Received a phone call today for acceptance. I think it is a great school and a great opportunity to serve my country but am not sure if this career path is the best for my family. Best of luck to all other applicants.

Received a phone call today for acceptance. I think it is a great school and a great opportunity to serve my country but am not sure if this career path is the best for my family. Best of luck to all other applicants.
Do you mind sharing the date of your interview? I'll take your spot! haha