2013-2014 Uniformed Services University of the Health Science Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind sharing the date of your interview? I'll take your spot! haha
They are done with their interview. They received an acceptance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

They are done with their interview. They received an acceptance.

Lol I was just kidding about taking his spot! (saying like, hey, I'll gladly take your acceptance lol), I wanted to know the date that he interviewed just to further gauge things...and by gauge things I mean add to my stress. On a good note, I just worked an entire quantum practice exam and didnt make a single mistake!

Got my post-secondary rejection email today. This was my #1. Totally blows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my post-secondary rejection email today. This was my #1. Totally blows.
Do you mind sharing stats and when you were completed? I feel like I sent my secondary into a black whole after confirming I was complete.

Do you mind sharing stats and when you were completed? I feel like I sent my secondary into a black whole after confirming I was complete.
I felt like I was in the blackhole as well. I was complete Aug 8 (didn't get my last rec in until Aug 6, even though the rest was complete early July). When I contacted my USUHS advisor though for an update, she reassured me that my file was still under review and they would get back to me about an interview as soon as they could. Even though I wish I could have had an answer by now, it's nice to know that USUHS treats each student personally and is responsive to their needs.

Got the call from Col. Saguil. Conditional acceptance with the Navy! (Sept. 19 interview)

Good luck to everyone else still waiting and congrats to fellow acceptees.

I felt like I was in the blackhole as well. I was complete Aug 8 (didn't get my last rec in until Aug 6, even though the rest was complete early July). When I contacted my USUHS advisor though for an update, she reassured me that my file was still under review and they would get back to me about an interview as soon as they could. Even though I wish I could have had an answer by now, it's nice to know that USUHS treats each student personally and is responsive to their needs.

Just got the pre-interview rejection email. Definately disappointed because USUHS was my top choice and I definately want to be a military physician. I will still be applying to HPSP (that is...if my recruiter ever gets back to me.)

For those who care I was complete Aug 8, low 3's cGPA and sGPA, 32 MCAT, 4+ years direct patient care experience, no research. No prior service.

Got the call from Col. Saguil. Conditional acceptance with the Navy! (Sept. 19 interview)

Good luck to everyone else still waiting and congrats to fellow acceptees.

Congratulations to all those who were accepted! I'm still waiting to hear back from USUHS (Oct 10 interview), hopefully it's good news and I can celebrate with y'all in the thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations to all those who were accepted! I'm still waiting to hear back from USUHS (Oct 10 interview), hopefully it's good news and I can celebrate with y'all in the thread.
Agreed. I'm super happy for (and a little jealous of) everyone who's been accepted. I interviewed 10/10 as well so hopefully we hear back today but I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much for hearing back this early

Interviewed Sep. 12 and still waiting for the call. Can't tell if the long delay can still be optimistic...? Just started filling out HPSP paperwork, USUHS definitely #1 choice.

Im sorry :( did you just get the email? were your stats okay?

gl with the rest of the cycle

Sorry it took a while to get back. My stats actually are pretty spectacularly horrible....well my MCAT is. cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.55, MCAT unbalanced 25. I do, however, have excellent EC's (couple years of ER scribing, lots of non-clinical volunteering, leadership positions, non-traditional stay at home mom with 4 kids, etc) I went into the cycle pretty doubtful for anything (I got my MCAT back after I had submitted), but then became somewhat hopeful, as I'm sitting on 1 MD and 3 DO interviews right now despite my numbers. I've applied HPSP also, so hopefully that will pan out.

I was complete Mid-July, so this was definitely a long wait. Good luck to the rest of you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know the current status of each branch? I have an interview set for November 14th and am interested in the Navy. However, I know these spots fill up quickly in the beginning so should I still put down Navy on the preference sheet?

Also, is it still true that in the Army you would have the highest chance of entering residencies before doing a GMO tour?

Thanks!

Both Navy and AF usually fill up quickly, but somewhere (I don't remember where) they explicitly state that your branch preferences have no impact on your acceptance. The adcom only considers your branch preferences after they make the decision to accept you. If your #1 preference is unavailable, they ask if you would mind taking an available spot in another branch. So, personally, I would just be honest with your preferences.

As far as Army GMO tours go, everyone that I've talked to has told me that the only branch that really does GMO tours anymore is the Navy.

Good luck with your interview.

Both Navy and AF usually fill up quickly, but somewhere (I don't remember where) they explicitly state that your branch preferences have no impact on your acceptance. The adcom only considers your branch preferences after they make the decision to accept you. If your #1 preference is unavailable, they ask if you would mind taking an available spot in another branch. So, personally, I would just be honest with your preferences.

As far as Army GMO tours go, everyone that I've talked to has told me that the only branch that really does GMO tours anymore is the Navy.

I chose my branch based on the residencies that I'm (at the moment) most interested in.

Keep in mind that the AF/Navy filling up the fastest is the common trend (Navy was faster last year, I think), but that doesn't mean you are out of luck later on in the application process. I interviewed on the VERY last interview date last year, was wait-listed, then shortly thereafter I was accepted Air Force after talking with some of the admin personnel (late April, I believe). It can happen. :)

I know quite a few AF residencies (dermatology, for sure,) require a flight surgery rotation before you can even apply. If I recall correctly, the AF is phasing out the GMO, leaving flight surgery as the new GMO equivalent.

Accepted! Assuming everything goes well (physical), can't wait to start here next year!

Accepted! Assuming everything goes well (physical), can't wait to start here next year!
Congratulations!!

For everyone who's gotten this incredible news and would like an early second look day, please let LTC Saguil know. He told me the administration is talking about setting one up before the beginning of the Spring semester as well as one later on. I think if enough of us express interest in one happening during the winter break, they will do it. I'm not sure about most of you, but with a family to move up there, the earlier the better for me.

Good luck to those still waiting!!

Keep in mind that the AF/Navy filling up the fastest is the common trend (Navy was faster last year, I think), but that doesn't mean you are out of luck later on in the application process. I interviewed on the VERY last interview date last year, was wait-listed, then shortly thereafter I was accepted Air Force after talking with some of the admin personnel (late April, I believe). It can happen. :)

I was waitlisted, and my service preference was Navy. If I remember correctly, I got a call from admissions a few days before I was accepted Navy telling me that I should accept an AF spot because they couldn't guarantee me a Navy spot. Whether or not I got a Navy spot hinged on whether someone dropped a seat. But if I took the Air Force spot, I would be good to go. My plans were Navy USUHS or Navy HPSP though, so I didn't take the AF spot. Luckily for me, a navy spot opened up a few days later.

Congrats! We interviewed the same day so hopefully I hear something soon. What branch did you pick?

Congrats! We interviewed the same day so hopefully I hear something soon. What branch did you pick?

Thanks! Good luck, I hope you hear something soon! I picked Navy although Col Saguil forgot to mention which branch I was in (or I was so excited that I didn't pay attention)

@wannabeadoc2 - I'd definitely be interested in something over winter break if something gets planned.

Thanks! Good luck, I hope you hear something soon! I picked Navy although Col Saguil forgot to mention which branch I was in (or I was so excited that I didn't pay attention)

@wannabeadoc2 - I'd definitely be interested in something over winter break if something gets planned.

I doubt all the spots are full so you probably got your first choice. I would want to visit over break as well to meet people and get a feel for housing options.

Accepted Army! Interviewed 10/10

Accepted Army! Interviewed 10/10
Oh snap! I interviewed 10/10 as well and USUHS is my #1 choice. I would be ecstatic if I got the call today! I'm supposed to drive 10+ hours (20+ round trip) for an interview this weekend but would gladly cancel it if I got the USUHS call today!!

I just realized I did something so unfathomably stupid... I forgot to check out at the end of my interview day (Sep 19... yea I did not realize it until today... fml). How bad do you think this will hurt me? I'm planning to call them to apologize profusely.

I don't know if this helps my case, but I thought my interviews went extremely well. I really enjoyed everything, and by the end of that day, USUHS became my number one school. So I really just can't believe I forgot to do something as simple as check out. I mean after my interviews, I didn't just leave, I went and talked to some of the deans. But again I can't believe checking out did not occur to me to be the logical thing to do at the end of it all.

Am I overreacting to my slip up or can this really screw me over? My greatest worry is that they took this to mean I am not interested, which is why I want to call them so badly to explain 1) that I am so sorry and 2) that I am actually extremely interested, but it's midnight on the east coast!!! I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight...

I almost forgot to checkout as well. LTC Saguil informed the purpose of the checkout is:

#1. To double check all of your paperwork and ensure they have everything they need from you (lots of people forget to go to the security office)
#2. To maintain accountability of all interviewees. If you are not prior service, you will soon learn the importance of accountability in the military. Getting in the habit of always taking roll on everyone you are in charge of will help prevent mishaps throughout your military career.

The "check out" process was just one of the admin ladies double checking the spreadsheet to make sure they had everything, then they checked a box that said you had left. That's it. I wouldn't worry about it. We have enough to stress about with all this med school application stuff, I don't think a small detail like that is worth sweating over. Good luck!

Oh snap! I interviewed 10/10 as well and USUHS is my #1 choice. I would be ecstatic if I got the call today! I'm supposed to drive 10+ hours (20+ round trip) for an interview this weekend but would gladly cancel it if I got the USUHS call today!!

That sounds miserable. I hope you hear back today. Now that I can focus all my worrying on being physically cleared, is anyone else having a terrible time dealing with dodmerb?

That sounds miserable. I hope you hear back today. Now that I can focus all my worrying on being physically cleared, is anyone else having a terrible time dealing with dodmerb?
Have you already completed your exams or still trying to schedule? I did my opto exam 2 days ago but got an email from dodmerb today saying it hasn't been received. I think I'll wait a couple days to see if it sorts itself out.

Have you already completed your exams or still trying to schedule? I did my opto exam 2 days ago but got an email from dodmerb today saying it hasn't been received. I think I'll wait a couple days to see if it sorts itself out.
I got both of my exams done about a month ago and they received them but now I'm on complete-hold because the place where I got my physical done didn't fill out the paperwork correctly and they didn't measure my sitting height so I had to get that done at my campus health center

I got both of my exams done about a month ago and they received them but now I'm on complete-hold because the place where I got my physical done didn't fill out the paperwork correctly and they didn't measure my sitting height so I had to get that done at my campus health center
Bummer, I don't think I got sitting height done either. But congrats on the acceptance! Was it your first choice?

Sitting height? I never got that done. Hopefully it doesn't delay my paperwork even more.

Bummer, I don't think I got sitting height done either. But congrats on the acceptance! Was it your first choice?
Yea USUHS is my first choice so I want the physical part to be sorted out. On dodmets next to tests received it says Fphysical so I don't know if that means flight or if everyone has that...
@twinning if your paperwork is delayed I would call Dodmerb because that's what I did and the woman who is in charge of my file told me to call Concorde and tell them the missing information because she can only contact them by fax

Yea USUHS is my first choice so I want the physical part to be sorted out. On dodmets next to tests received it says Fphysical so I don't know if that means flight or if everyone has that...
@twinning if your paperwork is delayed I would call Dodmerb because that's what I did and the woman who is in charge of my file told me to call Concorde and tell them the missing information because she can only contact them by fax
My dodmerb stuff was all cleared except for one issue which I have to go to my own doctor for. Never did a seated height. Odd

My dodmerb stuff was all cleared except for one issue which I have to go to my own doctor for. Never did a seated height. Odd

Fantastic. The best part is I'm already "fit for military service" according to my hpsp physical. I complained about dodmerb at my interview so this is my punishment haha

Qualified from DODMERB. They wanted additional information regarding a broken eye socket I suffered while snowboarding in 2008. All's good now though.

Excited to meet all of ya'll in the coming months.

Current students - any advice regarding BOLC? What's the PT like there? I'm in good shape, but should I worry about breaking in boots and such?

BOLC - you'll be in San Antonio in the summer. for the first 4 weeks you'll have classes. I'm in the guard and we did our first 4 weeks online. I don't know about daily PT. I got injured doing an obstacle course and didn't get to participate. Active duty did have to pass their APFT tests during those 4 weeks. There was one girl who didn't pass during that time and had to do it for record with us during the 2nd 4 weeks. You'll have time to break in the boots during those first 4 weeks of classes. And you won't be wearing boots during PT.

Stuff I thought would be/was helpful to know:
- the tents are air conditioned but have mice running in the walls between the inner and outer layers at night. woke me up every night. Keep all food tucked away in baggies and DONT eat in the tent. If the mice get bad the snakes will follow them in. We did see a rattler on the compound while we were there. We left it alone.
- if you want to do combatives bring old tennis shoes to wear with an extra set of ACU's. Combatives is awesome. One of my platoon got choked out by the instructor. She volunteered of course.
- San Antonio is a great city. Get to know the prior-service who are at BOLC with you, some of them may already know their way around. Be sure to visit the Riverwalk.
- PT was no big deal if you are in good enough shape to pass your APFT.
- There was a 4 mile ruck march. Bring mole skin and dress socks. Put on dress socks inside out under regular socks to reduce friction.
- DRINK PLENTY OF WATER! We had one guy try to run in 95-degree heat for 2 hours without water to try to meet height/weight and gave himself heat stroke. We were all banned from after hours exercise for a week because of him. Don't be stupid. Drink water.
- there's a tent with exercise equipment that you can use after hours at the field site. There's also a tent across from the hotel when you're at Fort Sam that you can exercise at.
- the enlisted are also training at FT Sam and have strict interaction rules. It's important to keep them in mind.
- there are showers on site in the field and we got to use them daily. but be sure to bring shower shoes.
- I slept whenever I had a chance to lay down. BOLC is exhausting.
- there are lots of assigned jobs. the one I enjoyed most was ammo detail (extra shooting opportunities). the one I liked least was restocking port-a-pots. But I was happy not to have 2am fire duty. Biggest thing - don't complain. Everyone has something to do that's crappy. Suck it up.
- bring money/credit card to the field with you. "mama snacks" is a food truck that comes to you. I didn't worry too much about buying the fried food, but I definitely did buy Gatorade because it was ice cold tastiness.

All in all, I had a great time. Try to enjoy yourself even if you're standing in the rain during a lightning storm carrying a metal weapon. I'll never forget it. My platoon was awarded honor platoon, (we were the combat spoons - hahaha) and have our own facebook site still. BOLC is an opportunity to make great memories.

If you have any questions about BOLC, I'll answer if I can.

Hi everyone,

I've got my interview here on the 21st. I would have liked to just park at the medical school, but apparently that's not an option??
So instead I guess I need somewhere to park.
Is my best option to just park in a garage in Bethesda, and take a bus to the admissions office?

What did you guys do?

Here's a google maps from downtown Bethesda to the admissions office: https://www.google.com/maps/preview...i1280!2i685!4f13.1!7m4!11m3!1m1!1e1!2b1&fid=0

But even that has a bunch of walking in it.

Hi everyone,

I've got my interview here on the 21st. I would have liked to just park at the medical school, but apparently that's not an option??
Is my best option to just park in a garage in Bethesda, and take a bus to the admissions office?

What did you guys do?

Here's a google maps from downtown Bethesda to the admissions office: https://www.google.com/maps/preview...i1280!2i685!4f13.1!7m4!11m3!1m1!1e1!2b1&fid=0

Do the student host program or get a cab

Hi everyone,

What did you guys do?

Here's a google maps from downtown Bethesda to the admissions office: https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!data=!4m28!3m22!1m5!1sBethesda, MD!2s0x89b7cbb76a24022d:0x26b279f76a2bcd0d!3m2!3d38.984652!4d-77.0947092!1m5!1s4301 Jones Bridge Rd, Bethesda, MD 20814!2s0x89b7c9467658745f:0xef7c21381ebda796!3m2!3d39.002458!4d-77.085047!2e3!3m8!1m3!1d11063!2d-77.0920139!3d38.9927971!3m2!1i1280!2i685!4f13.1!7m4!11m3!1m1!1e1!2b1&fid=0

Where are you staying?

Hometown, about hour and a half away.

Taxi option sounds good though. I'm probably just going to do that. Thanks guys :)

You could also take the metro (subway) from Bethesda to Medical Center (NIH/Walter reed/USUHS) which would cost about 2$. It's definitely faster too. Getting a cab in the morning in Bethesda might be hard and traffic on Wisconsin between the two is also bad in the morning.

ACCEPTED Army! Interview date was 10/11.
Congrats! Also I called Lousie Taylor to see if the BOLC dates were confirmed yet and she said she doesn't know if they're doing the 1 month or 2 month course, but they're leaning towards the 2

I interviewer yesterday (december 14th) for USUHS.
The evening before there was a very informal (student led) gathering at a local bar. (think khakis and a beer)
The morning (0730 check in) included tours, lunch and a student panel.
I interviewd with two of the USUHS staff, other applicants interviewd with students. Each interview was 30 min, and each interview was more of a discussion rather than a formatted interview. Neither if the interviewers had acces to my GPA/ MCAT scores- it was explained that "if you got to the interview we are now less interested in the GPA/ MCAT, and more interested in your personality and fit for the program). Both of my interviewers were prepared for the interview, and had read my personal statement, ECs and secondary materials. Most of the interviewers only interviewd 2 or 3 applicants.
by the way- if you were there on december 14th, I was the "old guy applicant" in the Navy uniform that day. PM me if you think I can be of assistance in answereing specific DC/ or military questions.

Congrats! Also I called Lousie Taylor to see if the BOLC dates were confirmed yet and she said she doesn't know if they're doing the 1 month or 2 month course, but they're leaning towards the 2

From what I've read, USUHS does the two-month course.

Does anyone know if the admissions committee is receptive of additional documents for our application file?
More specifically, I am thinking of sending along an updated resume and a manuscript that has been submitted to a peer-review journal for possible publication... I was complete back in September and still have yet to hear anything. I know this is common and that the process takes a while, but do you think these additional documents could help?
Thanks for the input!

Feel free to post or PM me with info on this if anyone has it - really appreciated!