2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a secondary! OOS. Anyone know how many secondaries are given to OOS?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a secondary! OOS. Anyone know how many secondaries are given to OOS?
could someone please post the secondary prompts?

Are they different for MD/PhD applicants?

Thanks!

Last edited:
could someone please post the secondary prompts?

Are they different for MD/PhD applicants?

Thanks!

Regular MD is just an "Anything extra" 500 words.

MSTP is a list of pubs and research exp.

Do you guys know if MTSP secondaries go out at the same time as regular secondaries or is there a delay?

Anyone know if submitting a MSTP application has any effect on the MD application? I am interested in MSTP but I know I wont be a competitive applicant for that program and I do not want that application to overshadow my MD app

What's the prompt for MD?

Applicants are interviewed by invitation only. Interviews are scheduled Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, September to February. Due to the academic calendar, student contact during the month of December may be limited. Please note we do not conduct regional interviews. If you are selected for interviews, please let us know if you will be out of the country. (100 character)

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 Words)

Regular MD is just an "Anything extra" 500 words.

MSTP is a list of pubs and research exp.

Just a list? MSTP applicants don't write any essays at all? weird... or do we also get the "anything extra"?

Got a secondary application. 34 MCAT 3.75 GPA In state with significant volunteering at UCSF. This is my top choice school and I dream to go here!

I have similar stats to yours, also instate - when were you verified? Hoping to grab some of your luck :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys!

I'm a rising MS2 at UCSF and just wanted to drop by to wish you guys luck! Let me know if you guys have questions about UCSF. :]

So the actual part of the secondary where u wish to expand upon activities. If there is nothing major to expand upon do we just leave it blank? Anyone do this and get invited for interview? I picked up a job (kind of lame job just doing it for money) do u think its worth mentioning?

So the actual part of the secondary where u wish to expand upon activities. If there is nothing major to expand upon do we just leave it blank? Anyone do this and get invited for interview? I picked up a job (kind of lame job just doing it for money) do u think its worth mentioning?

You can leave it blank. So applicants have left it blank and received an interview.

Last edited:

I'd say a job is definitely worth mentioning : )

I have similar stats to yours, also instate - when were you verified? Hoping to grab some of your luck :D

Verified on the first day you could submit applications. I submitted my app at 9:30 AM on the spot

Secondary received. IS, 33, 3.68(c) 3.73(s).

Fruitiaspice (or anyone else) - do you know how applying for the MMP program in addition to MD will affect my application? Also, if you can comment on the MMP program, that would be awesome! Thanks

Fruitiaspice (or anyone else) - do you know how applying for the MMP program in addition to MD will affect my application? Also, if you can comment on the MMP program, that would be awesome! Thanks

Congrats! :thumbup:

Same here! Whoohoo! :love:

EDIT: Submitted. Aaand now we wait.

Last edited:

Do you mean the JMP program that's joint with Berkeley? If you're talking about the Molecular Medicine program that earns you an MD with distinction, I believe you apply for that during third year, not beforehand since I don't know anyone in my class that's doing it at this moment.

Last edited:
I was referring to the Molecular Medicine program and if that is the case, it would seem they are just gathering if we would be interested in applying later on, not having us apply right now. They have us check a box in the same place as the other program options so I was somewhat unclear. Thank you for the clarification. It sounds like quite the opportunity.

And good luck to everyone on the forum and hopefully we will run into each other at the interview day!

Verified on the first day you could submit applications. I submitted my app at 9:30 AM on the spot

Oh awesome, thanks (and well done)! I was just verified on Friday, so hopefully my turn is coming

wow... 2.15% of applicants getting accepted (149/6926*100 = 2.15%)... :eek:

I think you got the math wrong. ~300 are accepted, but 149 matriculated. So it's really 2.15% of applicants matriculated, with the accepted number about 2-3 times higher. (makes everyone feel a little better XD)

I think you got the math wrong. ~300 are accepted, but 149 matriculated. So it's really 2.15% of applicants matriculated, with the accepted number about 2-3 times higher. (makes everyone feel a little better XD)

IIs: 342/3346 IS, 154/3580 OOS
Acceptances: (179 IS + 94 OOS)/6926 = 3.9%

Received my secondary last night, SO excited to be applying here!!

Congrats to everyone receiving secondaries! I'm starting to lose faith :(

UCSF confirmed they received my verified AMCAS application last night, despite being verified before transmission of primaries. So, they're probably working in batches, slowly, etc.

UCSF confirmed they received my verified AMCAS application last night, despite being verified before transmission of primaries. So, they're probably working in batches, slowly, etc.

That's true. I got that email quite a while ago, though. I guess I won't give up quite yet.

Congrats to everyone receiving secondaries! I'm starting to lose faith :(

Many students who are verified in July receive secondaries much later in the season. I'm sure your time is coming.

Woah wait a minute, so they let you know they've received your primary? I didn't hear anything from them...

Woah wait a minute, so they let you know they've received your primary? I didn't hear anything from them...

I got my "primary received" email literally a minute before my secondary invite, so those emails might depend on who's reviewing your file for the secondary (i.e. some will notify you of your primary receipt as soon as it lands in their pile while others, like mine presumably did, will send that email when they make the secondary invite decision). That's just my theory though :p

I still haven't heard either. I'm not worried about it

UCSF isn't the quickest school, and their secondary screen is pretty thorough.

verified before transmission of data and haven't heard anything yet....

Just wondering for those that got the secondaries, do you get charged $60 or $80? It's a small difference, but on their website they said citizens are 60 and international students are 80, I was afraid I may be added to the wrong category?

Just wondering for those that got the secondaries, do you get charged $60 or $80? It's a small difference, but on their website they said citizens are 60 and international students are 80, I was afraid I may be added to the wrong category?

I think mine said $80 too but I am for sure a citizen...unless my parents lied to me and smuggled me from Taiwan to CA.

Just received a secondary request RIGHT NOW. Verified primary sent 6/25 in initial batch. I actually got an email right before my secondary request, which stated that they had received my verified primary. So that means I got a 3 week delay. Also the email said, "Your file is ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application. This decision will be made any time in the next twelve weeks."

So don't give up hope if you haven't gotten anything yet. Good luck to everyone. I have a very flimsy hunch that they have different people working on this simultaneously. Whomever you get might get to you at a different time, et cetera. I am a California resident. I was charged $80

My AMCAS was verified today and I just received the secondary (applying MSTP)! I thought the screen would take a while, but I guess not. Did anyone else get the secondary the same day as primary verification? It must be only based on stats if they can screen so fast.

Just received a secondary request RIGHT NOW. Verified primary sent 6/25 in initial batch. I actually got an email right before my secondary request, which stated that they had received my verified primary. So that means I got a 3 week delay. Also the email said, "Your file is ready for review to determine if you will be selected to submit a secondary application. This decision will be made any time in the next twelve weeks."

So don't give up hope if you haven't gotten anything yet. Good luck to everyone. I have a very flimsy hunch that they have different people working on this simultaneously. Whomever you get might get to you at a different time, et cetera. I am a California resident. I was charged $80

Phew great news!

Seems like you submitted your secondary right away. Did you expand anything on your activities? I already expanded in "the most meaningful activites" of the AMCAS app so I don't know what to write anymore

Oh, haven't finished yet. I plan on trying to frame everything in a narrative with an emphasis on what I am doing right now and plans for the immediate future.

Eagerly hoping to get some OOS love with the secondary!

Submitted 7/12 (3.88, 33)

I received the same thing this evening. My primary was verified well before 6/28, so it was sent out in the initial batch of data. Got the two emails one right after another. Had actually written this place off after not receiving a secondary earlier, so a pleasant surprise to get one now!

What's the central secondary prompt for UCSF again, and the character limit?

Hey everyone, just as a courtesy reminder, when people get secondary essay questions please PM the OP so that it can be updated. It's difficult for posters in the future to hunt through the various pages when looking for the secondaries.