2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Was verified around June 20th and just received the UCSF secondary.
So if you have not received the secondary yet, don't worry!

I got it right after the email telling me that they received my primary.

Does anybody know the UCSF screening stats?

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an email saying my AMCAS was received. Awaiting secondary :)

Edit: my Amcas was verified 7/8

was at their workshop last May and according to the director of admissions, they take a look at your whole application and do not screen for specific GPA or MCAT...
However, your post made me worried a bit... I got an email saying they received my AMCAS application last week, but no secondary for me yet :(

Members don't see this ad :)

UCSF doesn't screen based on stats; they read everyone's entire primary. If you're asking about the statistics of screening, here's what last year's thread says (which also matches up with MSAR/USNWR data):

~7,000 applicants (split pretty evenly IS vs OOS)
~1,500 secondaries
~500 interviews (342/154 IS vs OOS)
~275 accepted (179/94 IS vs OOS)

was at their workshop last May and according to the director of admissions, they take a look at your whole application and do not screen for specific GPA or MCAT...
However, your post made me worried a bit... I got an email saying they received my AMCAS application last week, but no secondary for me yet :(

I got that email a couple weeks ago and I haven't received a secondary :(

UCSF doesn't screen based on stats; they read everyone's entire primary. If you're asking about the statistics of screening, here's what last year's thread says (which also matches up with MSAR/USNWR data):

~1,500 secondaries

I find it hard to believe that they interview 1/3 of all applicants who submitted a secondary. Am I interpreting this data incorrectly?

I find it hard to believe that they interview 1/3 of all applicants who submitted a secondary. Am I interpreting this data incorrectly?

How about 56% acceptance rate post-interview?

How about 56% acceptance rate post-interview?

:shrug: The 1500 number came from a FAQ page UCSF used to have where they explicitly stated that they send out ~1500 secondaries. The interview/accepted numbers are from MSAR/USNWR, so those at least should be verifiable. I think 1/3 for post-interview acceptance is pretty standard, so given the strict pre-secondary scan, the 50%+ number makes sense to me, haha.

I'd rather have a pre-secondary screen than be disappointed later in the cycle anyways though, so I appreciate the work UCSF puts into the cycle :thumbup:

EDIT: Here's the now defunct link that had included the 1500 number: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/admissions/faqs/#secondaryapplications

Last edited:

~1,500 secondaries

Yes, thank you so much this is what I was looking for. I meant how many secondaries they give and not the actual GPA and MCAT stats.

:shrug: The 1500 number came from a FAQ page UCSF used to have where they explicitly stated that they send out ~1500 secondaries. The interview/accepted numbers are from MSAR/USNWR, so those at least should be verifiable. I think 1/3 for post-interview acceptance is pretty standard, so given the strict pre-secondary scan, the 50%+ number makes sense to me, haha.

I'd rather have a pre-secondary screen than be disappointed later in the cycle anyways though, so I appreciate the work UCSF puts into the cycle :thumbup:

I agree I would much rather be screened out earlier rather than later. I guess I didn't realize that the pre-secondary screen was so in-depth.

i'm a bit confused....if the sf secondary has no essays really (just the update), then what's the difference between the secondary screen and interview screen???

i'm a bit confused....if the sf secondary has no essays really (just the update), then what's the difference between the secondary screen and interview screen???

i'm thinking they take a look at the letters of rec and application more holistically?

Members don't see this ad :)

definitely recommendation letters!

I just got an email saying my AMCAS was received. Awaiting secondary :)

Edit: my Amcas was verified 7/8
I got that email a couple weeks ago and I haven't received a secondary :(

At least you guys got the emails ........................... I didn't even get one of those primary received emails. :(

At least you guys got the emails ........................... I didn't even get one of those primary received emails. :(

I think the order in which they receive the primaries is completely random. I was verified before June 28 and they just looked at mine tonight.

So don't worry! I was feeling the same way.

Finally got the primary AMCAS received email today. I was verified on day 1.

Just got a secondary invite!!! OOS, received it about 24 hours after the primary AMCAS received email.

Dream School. :love:

Good luck everyone! I wish you all great success this cycle. :luck:

Finally got the primary received email. Let's see if I can get a secondary...

Finally got the primary received email. Let's see if I can get a secondary...

:thumbup: Good luck joonage! (is it creepy that I saw that you were the last poster and I came in to see if you got a secondary? :laugh:)

Got a secondary!!!! OOS!!!!

Totally made my day. having a beer.

Anyone else get theirs pretty late in the evening? Even for PDT?

Congrats man! I just added UCSF to my AMCAS after being verified the first day. Can only dream :)

Got a secondary!!!! OOS!!!!

Totally made my day. having a beer.
+1 (except I have a long day at work tomorrow, so ne beer till tomorrow night :))
Judging by the fact that the secondary application email arrived exactly 1 minute after the primary receipt notification, this must be automatic based on MCAT/GPA.

Got a Secondary wooot! For the update what did u guys do? Other than extra activities did u guys expand on activities in your AMCAS app?

+1 (except I have a long day at work tomorrow, so ne beer till tomorrow night :))
Judging by the fact that the secondary application email arrived exactly 1 minute after the primary receipt notification, this must be automatic based on MCAT/GPA.

they could have received the primaries without acknowledging it.

If not, it's not gpa. Mine's in the crapper.

Listen guys I don't know why but this additional information question is bugging me. I really do not have much I can expand on, and I feel if I try its just going to be a whole bunch of filler/bs. At the same time they gave us 500 words so Im starting to feel like they want something to read. Help?

Listen guys I don't know why but this additional information question is bugging me. I really do not have much I can expand on, and I feel if I try its just going to be a whole bunch of filler/bs. At the same time they gave us 500 words so Im starting to feel like they want something to read. Help?

Same situation. On one hand, you feel like you are not using another avenue to possibly help out your application and stand out, but on the other hand, you do not want to rehash whats already been stated and hurt your chances even more. What a dilemma

You wrote out exactly how I feel. Im just glad that I even got a secondary wasn't putting too much hope here, but ill hold my breath till interview invites.
Same situation. On one hand, you feel like you are not using another avenue to possibly help out your application and stand out, but on the other hand, you do not want to rehash whats already been stated and hurt your chances even more. What a dilemma

Hey guys, what exactly did your secondary invite emails say? Was it just letting you know there was a status update to your application?

Has anyone gotten the verification email, and not received a secondary? I received the verification email last night around midnight.

Edit: Stupid question. Just saw that a few are still waiting.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten the verification email, and not received a secondary? I received the verification email last night around midnight.

Edit: Stupid question. Just saw that a few are still waiting.

I got mine last night at around midnight too! Here's to getting a secondary.

Hey guys, what exactly did your secondary invite emails say? Was it just letting you know there was a status update to your application?
Yeah my secondary email was just saying there was an update to my status. All the emails from UCSF have come pretty late at night too haha

~1,500 secondaries

Wow, so if they request a secondary, you have a 1/3 shot of getting an interview? Thats awesome! As for the email concern: I am not sure, but I got the "primary received" and "secondary requested" email at the same time. Fast turn around haha ;)

33MCAT, 3.65 cGPA/3.73sGPA
verified primary/submitted to UCSF - 7/11/13

I don't think it is automatic.. I think some reviewers only send you a primary received because they are sending you a secondary invite. They either come at the same time or with a break and it doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason to which one - which makes me think it is individual styles of going through apps.

It's just a guess of course.

I don't think it is automatic.. I think some reviewers only send you a primary received because they are sending you a secondary invite. They either come at the same time or with a break and it doesn't seem to have rhyme or reason to which one - which makes me think it is individual styles of going through apps.

It's just a guess of course.
I see. Well, like I said, it'd only make me happier if they skimmed primaries and didn't send out secondaries solely based on numbers. Personal touch and all :)

I see. Well, like I said, it'd only make me happier if they skimmed primaries and didn't send out secondaries solely based on numbers. Personal touch and all :)

true. In my case I received the "AMCAS app received" last week but still haven't got the secondary email/ rejection yet. I guess some reviewers are just nice to send out the "AMCAS app received" email before they read the applications. Meanwhile, some reviewers prefer to read the app first, then send both "AMCAS app received" and secondary invite at the same time...

I got the AMCAS Data Received email on 7/15 and haven't heard anything since. Has anyone else taken that long to get a secondary or should I pretty much accept they're not going to send me one? This was a huge reach/dream school anyway so I wouldn't be surprised.

I got the AMCAS Data Received email on 7/15 and haven't heard anything since. Has anyone else taken that long to get a secondary or should I pretty much accept they're not going to send me one? This was a huge reach/dream school anyway so I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm in the same boat as you. Oh well I guess, it was a reach anyway :rolleyes: