2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was rejected here not too long ago post-secondary but I'm really happy for everyone who got accepted. This school would have been a dream come true and for those who choose to matriculate, I'm sure you're going to have an amazing experience. Congrats to all of you and maybe I'll make it out to UCSF for residency!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I may be absolutely crazy for doing this but I'm withdrawing from my interview (scheduled for next week) today. :(

One, I really cannot afford the cross-country plane ticket right now. Two, despite UCSF being an amazing school given recent circumstances I'd rather attend school on the east coast. Three, quite frankly I'm burned out from interviewing.

Hopefully they are able to give out my slot to someone else in time! Good luck guys!

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received their acceptance packet yet? In the acceptance email, there was no information about submitting a deposit or letting the admissions office know that we are interested in accepting the offer. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Has anyone received their acceptance packet yet? In the acceptance email, there was no information about submitting a deposit or letting the admissions office know that we are interested in accepting the offer. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Since the email said to let them know if we wanted the acceptance package sent to a different address by 2/3, I'd assume they are sending the packets on 2/3 or later this week. Pretty sure no one else has received theirs either yet. Not sure if UCSF requires a deposit, but many schools do not. I'm sure we will know this week if one is required!

I may be absolutely crazy for doing this but I'm withdrawing from my interview (scheduled for next week) today. :(

One, I really cannot afford the cross-country plane ticket right now. Two, despite UCSF being an amazing school given recent circumstances I'd rather attend school on the east coast. Three, quite frankly I'm burned out from interviewing.

Hopefully they are able to give out my slot to someone else in time! Good luck guys!
I'd say you're crazy but it sounds like you've already got into some schools you love on the east coast. Good luck with everything and I hope your spot goes to another deserving candidate! I've been withdrawing from a couple interviews for similar reasons, but they weren't a top 5 school (in my favorite city in the world) you crazy person haha cheers

What do people know about prime? What are the chances/ how many people do they interview?

There is no deposit associated with accepting the offer. We just need to send in an acceptance form within 2 weeks of receiving the offer and copies of our official transcripts within four weeks, and sign a form saying we can meet the technical standards.

There is no deposit associated with accepting the offer. We just need to send in an acceptance form within 2 weeks of receiving the offer and copies of our official transcripts within four weeks, and sign a form saying we can meet the technical standards.

Did you just receive the package today? If so, when was it sent out? I only received a letter from Financial Aid that was sent out on Feb 3rd.

Hey guys, I decided to be proactive and called admissions to get this cleared up. Acceptance packages haven't been sent and I was told to expect mine next week. No deposit is needed, but they want you to send in a few forms. She said they request that it be done within two weeks, but it's not a hard deadline. They won't give up your spot unless they reach you directly. So don't stress!

Reactions: 3 users
Don't stress. Relax. Just think, by this time next year, many of you will be studying for our renal exam... and discuss the different pathologies and patient presentations of nephrotic vs. nephritic diseases. Or diagnosing an acid-base disorder, ... but which one is it? Is there compensatory mechanism? How can you tell? Osmolality imbalance vs. volume imbalance? Which drug acts where, how, why?

Even then, don't stress. Be excited, because each day, you've learned dozens of new things that you didn't know the previous day.

I just received the acceptance packet!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I received my acceptance packet yesterday. Looks like they went out on 2/5. IT'S REAL :happy:

II to JMP!!! Sooo happy! My one and only II so far. Email said I wasn't granted II for UCSF MD only but it seems JMP admissions liked me enough... ^_^

I received my acceptance packet yesterday. Looks like they went out on 2/5. IT'S REAL :happy:

I just got an email from my interviewer saying mine would be sent on 2/12. Wonder why they're not all sent at once?

Doesn't matter ITS STILL REAL! Yay :)

Congratulations to everyone who will be going to this wonderful school! Out of curiosity, has anyone gotten in to the JMP programme? And, would you mind sharing your details and research/extra-curricular activities?

Cheers,
Nenet

Does anyone know of any school other than UCSF that require the CSS form for financial aid? There seems to be a per school fee ($16/school), and I don't want to submit it if there's some overall processing fee for every time I submit it.

I got an email from the financial aid office stating that I have yet to complete the financial aid form. We have till June to complete this though is that correct?

Does anyone know of any school other than UCSF that require the CSS form for financial aid? There seems to be a per school fee ($16/school), and I don't want to submit it if there's some overall processing fee for every time I submit it.

I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw it on the usc financial aid portal as well. But I kinda feel like I should hold off on submitting it until I know how many schools I'm sending it too. But idk if that's a good idea either

I'm not 100% sure but I think I saw it on the usc financial aid portal as well. But I kinda feel like I should hold off on submitting it until I know how many schools I'm sending it too. But idk if that's a good idea either

I don't think there is an overall processing fee. Added Vandy after I had submitted for UCSF and it was just an additional $16.

Love how all these schools do their finaid differently...FAFSA, NeedAccess, CSS, school specific forms...becoming a pro at filling out these forms.

Hey everyone! Sorry we have been a bit absent lately. Us MS1's have been frantically studying for our Renal Final Examination. But that is thankfully behind us, so I am back.
A few things....

1. Students who have been accepted should have the dates for the Accepted Student Weekend (Second Look) in their packet.
2. That being said, we have been working on blog sharing some of highlights of life here at UCSF School of Medicine. It will be going live VERY soon.
3. The blog will also include a bit more information about Accepted Student Weekend. (At least a general outline of activities so you can better book your travel plans. Oh, and FYI hosting will be available.)
4. I went ahead and created an official Facebook group for your class. https://www.facebook.com/groups/589516371133942/ Feel free to use it when you feel its time to step out from anonymity and great your future class.

Congrats again! And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Daniel Copeland
UCSF SOM MS1

Hey everyone! Sorry we have been a bit absent lately. Us MS1's have been frantically studying for our Renal Final Examination. But that is thankfully behind us, so I am back.
A few things....

1. Students who have been accepted should have the dates for the Accepted Student Weekend (Second Look) in their packet.
2. That being said, we have been working on blog sharing some of highlights of life here at UCSF School of Medicine. It will be going live VERY soon.
3. The blog will also include a bit more information about Accepted Student Weekend. (At least a general outline of activities so you can better book your travel plans. Oh, and FYI hosting will be available.)
4. I went ahead and created an official Facebook group for your class. https://www.facebook.com/groups/589516371133942/ Feel free to use it when you feel its time to step out from anonymity and great your future class.

Daniel Copeland
UCSF SOM MS1

Do you have any advice for those of us in the waitlist?

Waitlisted tonight. It's so hard not to be crushed... Interviewed 1/16 for those interested!

Last edited:
I got an email from the financial aid office stating that I have yet to complete the financial aid form. We have till June to complete this though is that correct?
That might be true, but there was a letter in the acceptance packet that said to submit within 2 weeks of provisional acceptance to get priority consideration. So you might want to do that ASAP

Waitlisted tonight. It's so hard not to be crushed... Interviewed 1/16 for those interested!

you are making me nervous, lol. I interviewed 1/13 and I am still at "interview completed." Good luck!

Wait, I'm confused..... They started on January interviewees?!
I guess so....I was told that we wouldn't hear back until March! Then again I was late january so that could still be correct. Nevertheless, so it begins...

I guess so....I was told that we wouldn't hear back until March! Then again I was late january so that could still be correct. Nevertheless, so it begins...

I interviewed 1/7 and I was informed the other day my group wouldn't hear until late March -.-

I interviewed 1/7 and I was informed the other day my group wouldn't hear until late March -.-

When I interviewed 1/13, they said they would have a 2nd committee meeting at the end of February and a final committee meeting at the end of March. After that will only be wait-list acceptances.

On a side note, as of just recently, I can no longer update my courses on the application site.

you are making me nervous, lol. I interviewed 1/13 and I am still at "interview completed." Good luck!

Hopefully it's good news!!! Good luck to all of you!!!

Last edited:
A few things....

Daniel Copeland
UCSF SOM MS1

Thanks, Daniel for reaching out to us! I am planning to book my airplane tickets for the ASW event and would really like to know as to when the event will start and end. Can you please rovide us with that info as soon as you can? It's not on the packet I believe. Thanks!

And GOOD LUCK to those who are will waiting for the news!!!

I'm sorry to hear this bro ;/

How did you feel about your interviews, if you do not mind me asking?

I thought I did well; maybe not spectacular, but articulate and persuasive. I don't think I had any major screw-ups.

Good luck!

OH MY GOSH, ACCEPTED !!!!!!!!!

Edit: notification by email and I interviewed 1/7

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Can I ask, does anyone know when we need to be at UCSF by, as in which date to start school this fall? (i assume this comes in the information packet but I am waiting to receive mine and I would like to book my flight to head off to SF asap) Thank you so much! I'm soooooooo excited to be attending this school with you all.