2013-2014 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can I ask, does anyone know when we need to be at UCSF by, as in which date to start school this fall? (i assume this comes in the information packet but I am waiting to receive mine and I would like to book my flight to head off to SF asap) Thank you so much! I'm soooooooo excited to be attending this school with you all.
I think it said orientation is 9/2. Should be on the website!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I ask, does anyone know when we need to be at UCSF by, as in which date to start school this fall? (i assume this comes in the information packet but I am waiting to receive mine and I would like to book my flight to head off to SF asap) Thank you so much! I'm soooooooo excited to be attending this school with you all.

Fall orientation starts on Tuesday, 9/2

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, Daniel for reaching out to us! I am planning to book my airplane tickets for the ASW event and would really like to know as to when the event will start and end. Can you please rovide us with that info as soon as you can? It's not on the packet I believe. Thanks!

And GOOD LUCK to those who are will waiting for the news!!!

Optional activities will be held on the evening of Friday, April 25th, and the morning of Sunday, April 27th. The official program on Saturday, April 26th includes a student panel, opportunities to meet current faculty and students, and an in-depth campus tour. Student hosts will be available for all.

A full detailed itinerary will be coming soon, and be sure to look for the official RSVP in the beginning of April.

Friday, April 25th: dinner begins at 6pm (optional)
Saturday, April 26th: official program
Sunday, April 27th: tours of SF and other activities end around 1pm (optional)

DHCopeland,

I was recently admitted and have started browsing the internet for housing. I'm wondering if you could answer a few questions for me, and I also wanted to suggest a post in the blog on this topic, as I'm sure it's a major concern for lots of incoming students.

1) What are the odds of getting into campus housing?
2) What's a good way to get hooked up with a roomie?
3) Is living near Mission Bay or SF General Hospital and biking to the shuttle bus stop a good alternative to living near Parnassus?
4) Is August 1st a good move in date, or will I get a better deal moving at a different time?
5) Do I really have to pay $1000-$1500 a month to share a broom closet with six other people?
6) Any major pratfalls to watch out for?
7) Any top secret amazing deals you can share with us?

Thanks in advance. Your work here, on FB and on the blog is greatly appreciated.

I'm somewhat familiar with the area since I've worked at UCSF in the past. DHCopeland can probably give a more complete answer but my understanding is:
1) Pretty low
2) Facebook group
3) Mission Bay is more expensive than the Inner Sunset. The Mission, which is where SFGH is is also more expensive. The cheapest option would be to live far out West in the Sunset and take public transportation or to live in the Richmond (neighborhood above Golden Gate Park) and bike or bus. If you live along Irving or Judah in the Sunset then there is a metro line that can take you to UCSF which is pretty convenient.
4) August 1st seems fine to me. I don't think there's much of an advantage going at a different time. Housing in SF is terrible all-year round. ;)
5) Probably although I know of some people that pay less!
6) Prepare to get outbid by $100+ a month after an open house. It happened to me twice!
7) I don't have any but Craigslist and lovely are good websites for housing in SF.

Is anyone NOT going to ASW? I live in the area but I have an important gig that weekend...I'm going to make the Sat daytime stuff for sure, but I would have to miss both of the nights. :'( I'm so torn. Are ASWs extremely important, or are they mostly for people who need introduction to the region???

Anyone else on the waitlist receive an email asking to confirm the last digit of your SSN to create your UCSF ID? I had ready submitted my SSN previously, and have small hopes this verification to make my UCSF ID is a good sign.

Anyone else on the waitlist receive an email asking to confirm the last digit of your SSN to create your UCSF ID? I had ready submitted my SSN previously, and have small hopes this verification to make my UCSF ID is a good sign.

I didn't get one, so maybe this is a good sign for you!

Could be! I didn't get one either.

I'd be surprised if ucsf has begun going to the waitlist, though. Does anyone know when they stop interviewing?

According to last year's thread, people started getting accepted off of the waitlist at the end of March.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the next round of admissions decisions will go out?

Just an FYI to all waitlisters... I got a letter in the mail today from UCSF telling me to apply for aid. It was postmarked 03/03/2014, so you guys should be getting it soon, too!

Reactions: 1 users
Just an FYI to all waitlisters... I got a letter in the mail today from UCSF telling me to apply for aid. It was postmarked 03/03/2014, so you guys should be getting it soon, too!

I also received the fin aid letter, but mine was dated 03/04/2014. Also, I'm waiting for post-interview decisions.

I got one, too. Also on the waitlist, postmarked 3/4/2014.

Would anyone be so kind as to take a picture (your name blocked out from the top, of course) of the financial aid letter? Mine is lost in USPS land.... I would really appreciate it! >.<

I'm at work now, but if no one else has done this by 7 pm PST I would be happy to.

Hi! Has anyone sent an update letter to the Office of Admissions? Do they respond with a confirmation that they've received it, and if so, how long after you sent your email? Thanks guys!

Would anyone be so kind as to take a picture (your name blocked out from the top, of course) of the financial aid letter? Mine is lost in USPS land.... I would really appreciate it! >.<
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1394142573.929697.jpg

Hi! Has anyone sent an update letter to the Office of Admissions? Do they respond with a confirmation that they've received it, and if so, how long after you sent your email? Thanks guys!

Yes, they do. They responded to my email update after two days.

For anyone waiting on UCSF MSTP, I was told that they will be in touch the second week of March. So hang in there!

Who is going to revisit weekend?!!?!?!
Is anyone NOT going to ASW? I live in the area but I have an important gig that weekend...I'm going to make the Sat daytime stuff for sure, but I would have to miss both of the nights. :'( I'm so torn. Are ASWs extremely important, or are they mostly for people who need introduction to the region???

I am! I don't think it's crucial to go to ASWs, and if you're making it for the main day of activities you'll get all the info you need for next year. Other than that, the purpose of the weekend is just to get to know some classmates, which you'll have plenty of time to do in the next four years! I am from the Bay Area so I definitely know the area, but I'm still flying in from the east coast because a) i CAN'T WAIT to meet the rest of the class, and b) I'm still not 100% positive where I'm going to matriculate. I want to soak up as much of the UCSF culture as possible. Tickets booked, see y'all soon!

Received my financial aid letter dated a few days later than others in the thread. My guess is they needed to verify my SSN for whatever reason to create that account, which is why it took a few extra days to send it out. We shall see soon enough.

Anyone still waiting on a decision also just receive a UCSF WarnMe email? Trying to hope it might be a good sign...

Think I might be going nuts haha. I love UCSF tho!

Edit: checked past threads and it doesn't seem to be an indication of anything.

Anyone still waiting on a decision also just receive a UCSF WarnMe email? Trying to hope it might be a good sign...

Think I might be going nuts haha. I love UCSF tho!

Edit: checked past threads and it doesn't seem to be an indication of anything.
I didn't get the email. why u no care about me ucsf?

What's the warning about?

Did you start the financial aid stuff and get an account? I'm waitlisted and got the Warnme email. My first response: "Omgosh ucsf cares about me!! Yay!"
I haven't started financial aid anything, although I did send the FAFSA to UCSF already. But I found a previous thread where someone who hadn't started fin aid either also received the email, and it appears that this person was ultimately rejected. That thread was for pharmacy school, although I imagine they work similarly. Here's the thread if you're curious.

BTW, I'm still waiting on my post-interview decision, as opposed to post-waitlist.

I didn't get the email. why u no care about me ucsf?

What's the warning about?

It was about a fire on 4th and China Basin. On that note, hope everyone's alright!

Haha did you start the financial aid process and get a ucsf id? That's the only reason why I think I got the email.

Contents of email basically:
"EMERGENCY: UCSF Police report the fire at 4th and China Basin is not currently threatening UCSF-related structures. Stay away from the area until further notice."
Yeah I started the fin aid process; I'm just about to start filling out the CSS PROFILE

Wow I hope the fire isn't that serious

This reminds me though...I got an email from ucsf regarding their postbacc program a few months ago. Did you guys also get that? I hope it doesn't mean what I think it meant lol

I got an email telling me that there was a status change and to check the portal. I logged into the portal and under "current status" all it said was "Your Status has been Updated" and there was a link to a pdf that said what the actual status was. I was worried at this point because that is how they had done rejections in the past, but it was a letter saying I am on the alternate list.