2013-2014 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can't string someone along for 5, 6, even 7 months just to reject them in the end, that's just brutal.

I agree 100%, and they don't provide application feedback, which I feel is really unfair. Don't feel bad about getting a rejection guys. Every year in the UMass thread, you see tons of people who get rejected in May going on to amazing medical schools. I have a sneaking suspicion that UMass has a 'primary care quota' they they try to meet through some nebulous criteria, at the expense of a few high achieving students who get the axe.

If you are relying on UMass because it is your only affordable option, well that kind of sucks :-/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I met 3 people just this past weekend who have yet to hear anything. Considering one of us and some SDNers interviewed back in the Fall, this is ridiculous. At this point, I'm assuming I've been rejected or wait-listed, but regardless, if they've reached a general consensus about our applications, they should tell us promptly. If they haven't, which seems incredible to me, though based on what I've heard is actually more likely, then I hope they're taking notes about what went wrong this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got waitlisted this morning. UMass undergrad and reapplicant, interviewed 03-06-14. 32R, 3.8

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 10/13. Nothing yet. Come on just tell me already. Its ok to let some fishes go but just let the fishes know (rhyme 2 the max)

Reactions: 2 users
If they follow previous years' patterns, some rejections will be emailed today.

Waitlisted 2 weeks ago does anyone know if by a certain time UMass tells all the wait list people whether they have been accepted or not? Have people really heard back in August?

Who knows with this school. I think its just rude and inconsiderate at this point to leave people hanging. Maybe we'll hear back during M4.

It is true. people have heard back in August/June

interviewed 10/29 and still nothing. does that mean it's most likely a rejection at this point? I assume they wouldn't let you wait this long if they want to accept you, am I right guys?

Is there any other type of profession / school that you can apply and hear literally nothing for EIGHT months? I really love this school and I'm trying to convince myself that this is just how the process works, but I can't help but feel it is just rude and disrespectful at this point. Unfortunately, my opinion of UMASS has suffered greatly because of this. It makes me wonder how many people they lose each due to hard feelings about such a long turn-around time. If you don't want me, fine, but have some small shred of professionalism and get back to people. jeeeeeez.

I was complaining about UMASS' crappy admissions policies to my parents (you can't pay online, the website is outdated, ridiculously long and inconsistent turnaround time, etc.), and they were like, "Grow up. UMASS can do this because there will always be more than enough people who want to go." :sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I was hoping to apply to UMass this year, but I've encountered a snag that I was hoping someone could weigh in on.

My undergraduate university did not have a premedical committee. As such, UMass says they require LORs from two professors in prerequisite courses. Unfortunately, I went to a very large public school, and did not get to know the professors in my prereq lectures with hundreds of students in them. I also took those classes ~3 years ago.

I might not be the best person to weigh in considering I still haven't heard, but I actually didn't even know this was (technically) the case! What I always heard and what I saw for most schools was that 2 LORs from science faculty would be fine. I didn't know UMass required them to be from you prerequisite courses. I got one from one of my orgo (prereq) professors and another from my biochem (not a prereq) professor, and I was still interviewed. Then again, maybe this is why I'm still waiting to hear, lol.

I think that having the biochem + math professors' LORs might be okay, I only hesitate because I'm not sure where math falls on the science/non-science faculty division. I'd recommended sorting that out, and if satisfies the requirements for other med schools, you should be fine at UMass. Just don't hold me to that.

Received a rejection this morning, 5 months post interview. I agree with whoever said 'worst admissions staff in the country'.

Last edited:
Oh I am sorry to hear about your rejection! I agree it has been a difficult wait! If I get into UMass it changes my entire plan (for the better of course) so I am literally at the edge of my seat to see if I get off the waitlist!

Received a rejection this morning, 5 months post interview. I agree with whoever said 'worst admissions staff in the country'.

Lol yep same here... I'm over it. They really should change the way they do admissions for the future though, it's too long to string kids along without any decision for months and months..

Also rejected from UMass today. Interviewed in SEPTEMBER. Took so long for the other shoe to drop, I think it reached terminal velocity.

Glad I get to go with my heart rather than my wallet.

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to apply to UMass this year, but I've encountered a snag that I was hoping someone could weigh in on.

My undergraduate university did not have a premedical committee. As such, UMass says they require LORs from two professors in prerequisite courses. Unfortunately, I went to a very large public school, and did not get to know the professors in my prereq lectures with hundreds of students in them. I also took those classes ~3 years ago.

I called the office and explained my situation, and they were very unsympathetic. The lady I spoke to simply said I should have gone to a school with a premed committee (thanks). I have several great LORS from a Biochem professor, Math professor, and research mentor, but apparently they only want Intro Bio, Intro Chem, Ochem, or Physics.

Did anyone encounter this problem in past cycles? Did you apply anyways and hope for the best?

My stats are above average for UMass, and I like the school a great deal. It is very off-putting, however, that they just want you to jump through hoops with LORs rather than choose people who can speak to your abilities and character. Makes me wonder if they have their priorities straight.
Hi, so I was recently waitlisted at UMMS so I must have done something right...I don't think the person you spoke to on the phone knew what she was talking about. She may be right about the committee letter, however I did not have a rec letter from any of my pre req professors. I had one from a small honors seminar I was in, one from my research PI, and one from my physiology professor (small class again). No one ever said that req letters had to be from a pre req teacher. that being said, you should have at least 2 from a science professor and 1-2 from your extracurriculars, jobs, or electives. If your grades and MCAT score are good enough (which you say they are) then I would def apply - Hope this helps!

Waitlisted 2 weeks ago does anyone know if by a certain time UMass tells all the wait list people whether they have been accepted or not? Have people really heard back in August?
based on last years patterns, most people hear back by beginning of june

Rejected today (finally). I Interviewed in September too. Not too upset about it, as I agree with the above. They truly are the slowest admissions staff ever. It Should not have taken eight months to reject me.

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed in March heard anything at all? I know there were 3 interview groups on my day (thats almost 50 people), were we all just too late to be considered at all?

I know someone who interviewed in March, and unfortunately was rejected. I don't know if you guys were just late to the party. I've given up on trying to understand how things are done at this school, and just go with whatever happens.

For all of those who are frustrated with the long wait time:
UMass takes nearly half of it's matriculating class each year off of the wait list. Many superstar applicants choose UMass as a safety school and end up going to a different school. So, part of the reason things move so quickly in the spring is because of the 150+ acceptances they offer each year to applicants (for 125 seats, mind you) 50-60+ decline and thus the wait list moves a great deal. If you're wait listed at this point, you still have a decent chance so don't be totally discouraged. By this time of the year the wait list is generally filled up, so if you haven't heard anything at all, things may not be looking so good. As for those on the wait list, don't give up yet! Plenty of acceptances are handed out through the end of May. Good luck all!

Great to know that waitlist people have a shot! Quick question: If the difference between a state institution and an IVY private institution for med over the course of 4 years comes out to over $100,000 for cost of attendance, but it requires you to live at home, would you pick the cheaper state institution or the pricier but more presitigious private institution?

Great to know that waitlist people have a shot! Quick question: If the difference between a state institution and an IVY private institution for med over the course of 4 years comes out to over $100,000 for cost of attendance, but it requires you to live at home, would you pick the cheaper state institution or the pricier but more presitigious private institution?

What ivy are we talking about? Columbia, Harvard, Penn, Yale, and Cornell are all worth paying a premium price. Dartmouth and Brown are mid-tiers, similar to UMass.

One of the mid tiers

I would never advocate someone to pay 100K extra to go to Dartmouth or Brown over UMass. If price was similar (or just slightly more expensive) they would be viable options.

I would never advocate someone to pay 100K extra to go to Dartmouth or Brown over UMass. If price was similar (or just slightly more expensive) they would be viable options.

Agreed. Plus the idea that someone is required to live at home is a bit strange. If living on your own is a priority, take out the extra loans necessary to make it happen. I'm assuming there's something else I'm missing in this scenario.

Agreed. Plus the idea that someone is required to live at home is a bit strange. If living on your own is a priority, take out the extra loans necessary to make it happen. I'm assuming there's something else I'm missing in this scenario.

Oh there is no requirement to stay at home just that the $100k difference would be after staying at home.

Rejected yesterday. Interviewed in October. This experience left a bad taste for UMass in my mouth. There are far better and more competitive schools that I heard back from promptly. Competitiveness is no excuse for a lack of professionalism. It makes me think of the lack of timeliness that they provide even prospective students and possibly current students. I definitely won't be applying to UMass memorial for residency.

I agree with someone above. I'll go where my heart says is right instead if my wallet now.

Congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to those who have been wait listed.

For the rest of us, let's move on and push forward with our careers in medicine.

To UMass med, I have put you behind me.

Wanted to let those of you on the waitlist know that I withdrew my acceptance this morning. :)

To those of you who are struggling to choose between UMass and a more expensive school, I really strongly encourage you to pick UMass. Loved this place, but financial aid worked out in my favor and I ended up with a cheaper option at a private school in a warmer location. While I'm super excited to matriculate at my final destination, I'm sure I would have been very happy at UMass as well, and I wanted to take this last opportunity to stress what a great value a UMass Med education is. Message me if you have any questions. Good luck, everyone!

Anyone interested in a 3 bedroom apartment within walking distance? Lease starts in July, message me.

Wanted to let those of you on the waitlist know that I withdrew my acceptance this morning. :)

To those of you who are struggling to choose between UMass and a more expensive school, I really strongly encourage you to pick UMass. Loved this place, but financial aid worked out in my favor and I ended up with a cheaper option at a private school in a warmer location. While I'm super excited to matriculate at my final destination, I'm sure I would have been very happy at UMass as well, and I wanted to take this last opportunity to stress what a great value a UMass Med education is. Message me if you have any questions. Good luck, everyone!
Awesome congrats! Still on waitlist so I hope spots are opening up!!

Can any current MS1 or MS2 students recommend textbooks and/or review books that are essential / helpful for incoming MS1 students at UMASS?

Rejected May 6th, interviewed early December.

Can any current MS1 or MS2 students recommend textbooks and/or review books that are essential / helpful for incoming MS1 students at UMASS?

Word from second look is that all the textbooks for every class are included in a dropbox thing they they distribute to everyone. As far as recommended books outside that, it was pretty much the usual suspects (First Aid, pathoma, Goljan Rapid Review, BRS Physio, Micro made ridiculously easy, etc.). The Step I forum has these listed in there across multiple threads, though the ones that pop up most consistently are first aid and pathoma/Goljan, since more isn't necessarily better. Basically, you shouldn't have to spend very much on books.

Word from second look is that all the textbooks for every class are included in a dropbox thing they they distribute to everyone. As far as recommended books outside that, it was pretty much the usual suspects (First Aid, pathoma, Goljan Rapid Review, BRS Physio, Micro made ridiculously easy, etc.). The Step I forum has these listed in there across multiple threads, though the ones that pop up most consistently are first aid and pathoma/Goljan, since more isn't necessarily better. Basically, you shouldn't have to spend very much on books.
Awesome. I was hoping to hear this, I forgot to ask during second look.

I am so glad to hear that you have found your place at a warmer institution at a better price. and I am personally glad that a spot has opened up on the waitlist :)

BRS physiology for Development Structure and Function and Ann Gilroy's "Essential Textbook" for the questions. Clinical micro made ridiculously simple is also great for the infections course.

Hey everyone, based on last year's thread it looks like there were waves of acceptances off the WL on May 6th, 20th, and 23rd. These seemed to follow the one or two boluses of actual WL being sent in April. This year there were the two rounds of WL in april, but as far as I can see there have been no WL acceptances yet? Has there been any movement of the WL yet this year- are people just keeping it to themselves?

Hey everyone, based on last year's thread it looks like there were waves of acceptances off the WL on May 6th, 20th, and 23rd. These seemed to follow the one or two boluses of actual WL being sent in April. This year there were the two rounds of WL in april, but as far as I can see there have been no WL acceptances yet? Has there been any movement of the WL yet this year- are people just keeping it to themselves?

If you look back in this thread, people have posted hearing from their friends who were waitlisted and accepted. Also definitely a few people here who have posted have been accepted after being waitlisted.

If you look back in this thread, people have posted hearing from their friends who were waitlisted and accepted. Also definitely a few people here who have posted have been accepted after being waitlisted.
Yes I remember some people getting off the waitlist late April. But I do agree with one of the posters above. I believe that most of the Waitlist movement will be between next week and the first week of June. Crossing my fingers to be one of the lucky few to get accepted off waitlist!!

Oops, forgot about those people. But Yea I guess I meant more like last year there were a few specific days where multiple people posted about getting in, which I don't think we've had yet... It's tomorrow or next week hopefully!

May 15th is the deadline for acceptance deposit refunds for those who decide UMass isn't their top choice. So, as you can imagine, a lot of people probably dropped out of the "accepted" category within the past week to ensure they get their $100 deposit back. I expect a big wave of acceptances offered to people on the wait list over the next couple weeks. (Possibly starting today! They love their Fridays.) Good luck all.

Just got an acceptance email now. Wait listed April 18th. So pumped!!

Reactions: 4 users
Finally got off the waitlist just now! Could not be more excited about this. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Got into UMASS off waitlist w00t!!!! I feel like this journey has been more like an Odyssey with UMASS and I finally have closure!!!!

Timeline
Interviewed: October 22
Waitlisted: April 17
Accepted: May 19

Stats
sGPA: 3.93
Overall GPA: 3.99
MCAT(1st): 31R (12PS 7V 12BS)
MCAT(2nd): 34 (12PS 10V 12BS)

Wish all of you best of luck in your future!!!

Reactions: 2 users