2013-2014 University of Massachusetts Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today 4/9. Wait listed yesterday 4/8. Interviewed 10/29.

I'm unbelievably thrilled and shocked.

cGPA: 3.71
sGPA 3.61
MCAT: 34

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if all wait list applicants were emailed yesterday (in other words, are those of us who haven't heard yet destined for a rejection)? Thanks so much.

I don't have an answer, but if they are already accepting off the waitlist, common sense says the rest of us are waiting for rejections.

my pre-med advisors have said that they were at UMMS last weekend and they know that the office is really far behind on their acceptances...so maybe there is still hope :)

Reactions: 2 users
Interview 12/12
Waitlisted 04/08
Accepted 04/10

cGPA 3.8
sGPA 3.8
MCAT 30

Reactions: 4 users
I called the admissions office today and found out some useful information that I thought I should share. They said that the committee was going to meet three more times before the end of the cycle (I assume this means 3 more weeks?). They also said that at this point if you get an email from them it will be to inform you that you were either straight out accepted, wait-listed (being sent out on a rolling basis), or straight out rejected. If you haven't heard back, it doesn't necessarily mean anything because there are still some applications I guess that the committee hasn't been able to review since interview.

I hope that's helpful in calming anxious nerves.

Reactions: 2 users
I called the admissions office today and found out some useful information that I thought I should share. They said that the committee was going to meet three more times before the end of the cycle (I assume this means 3 more weeks?). They also said that at this point if you get an email from them it will be to inform you that you were either straight out accepted, wait-listed (being sent out on a rolling basis), or straight out rejected. If you haven't heard back, it doesn't necessarily mean anything because there are still some applications I guess that the committee hasn't been able to review since interview.

I hope that's helpful in calming anxious nerves.

Thanks for sharing!

just called because i've not heard anything since my interview in sept.

i was told i was still with the committee...(under a desk collecting cobwebs?)

they said we'll all hear our decisions by mid may.....

Reactions: 1 user
just called because i've not heard anything since my interview in sept.

i was told i was still with the committee...(under a desk collecting cobwebs?)

they said we'll all hear our decisions by mid may.....

I was reapplicant so I'm very familiar with their rejection procedure. This is what they tell everyone who calls. Nobody's file is still waiting for review in mid April. Decisions are all made, and for some reason they wait until the end of April to deliver rejections. I have no idea why they do this, all I know is that it's extremely discourteous to applicants. As I said earlier in the thread, worst admissions staff of any school I dealt with. Love the school otherwise.

Last edited:
Any reapplicants who got in this cycle? What do you think made you more appealing this time around? Did you address your failed app cycle in your personal statement or secondaries? Starting to get things together if in case I have to reapply...

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when financial aid information will be available?

If you've already filled out FAFSA and CSS you can call financial aid.

So, we can find out our financial aid award? Or is it just general info? Presumably they'll send out the award letter by snail mail.

So, we can find out our financial aid award? Or is it just general info? Presumably they'll send out the award letter by snail mail.
Ya I just meant if crook.rook had any questions. I was emailed my award.

Any idea when financial aid information will be available?

When do they send them out?

Tina Sasseville in the Financial Aid office replied to my email on 4/4/14, saying "You should be receiving your award letter in the next 2-3 weeks." Since it's the 16th now, that's, what, nine more days or so?

Current students: does UMass give need-based aid (considering the COA is already low) or is it just loans?

Waitlisted today, interviewed 1/23/14

Waitlisted just now as well. Interviewed 1/9/14

It looks like they are processing their January applicants now. I may be too optimistic to think that they will review interviewees from before November once more.

It looks like they are processing their January applicants now. I may be too optimistic to think that they will review interviewees from before November once more.

I interviewed before November and just heard back today

My waitlist letter said the class has been completely filled, so I guess they are only giving waitlists and rejections at this point.

Waitlisted today...interviewed on 1/23...and yet another wait begins...

Waitlisted today...interviewed on 1/23...and yet another wait begins...
Waitlisted today, interviewed 1/23/14
we must have interviewed together! I was there on 1/23 as well! Good luck to you!

No email, I guess that's the end of the road for me. 35 3.7 reapp. I really wish I knew why they hate me so much.

No email, I guess that's the end of the road for me. 35 3.7 reapp. I really wish I knew why they hate me so much.
According to past posts they may be meeting a couple more times this month to send out additional waitlists before emailing rejections.

Wait listed today at about 12:30. Interviewed 9/11.

I don't have an answer, but if they are already accepting off the waitlist, common sense says the rest of us are waiting for rejections.
Not true! I was waitlisted on 4/17!

Last edited:
I know someone was who interviewed like two weeks ago and just accepted...unfair!

Ahh it's getting so nail bitingly close to May!! :(

WL on 4/18. Interviewed 2/13. Not sure if I will pursue...

Does anyone have any idea on how the wait list at UMASS usually works? Do they wait list a lot of people? Does it move much?

In the past they always said ~50% of the class comes off the waitlist, IDK if that is still current.

I don't know if this is easily found elsewhere on their website, but does anyone know what/when the holiday breaks are?

Whar financial aid award? Whar?

I look forward to seeing you guys at 2nd look.

Based on last year's trends, most of the WL movement happened between 5/6-5/23.This is probably because 5/15 is the deadline by which anyone holding multiple acceptances has to choose 1...so the movement should be starting in 2-3 weeks. hang in there guys!

Does that mean they're done sending WLs?

I'm honestly not sure....but someone else just got accepted off the Waitlist yesterday so I know they are already looking at the WL.

I interviewed 11/13 and I'm still waiting, most likely for a rejection. I won't be shocked since my interview was terrible (my 1st MMI). Anyway, I've already gotten into a school I love thankfully so I won't be too sad if/when they reject me. But a 5 month wait is just ridiculous, UMASS needs better admissions practices. You can't string someone along for 5, 6, even 7 months just to reject them in the end, that's just brutal.

Reactions: 1 users