You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2023-2024 Massachusetts
Started by chilly_md
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
After all that they've chosen to "annoy" me since Sept, I could think of worse ways to spend my time 💁♀️There is still plenty of time today. Based on the wave of decisions at this time last year it seems like they will send out more decisions today. I personally would not call because I think that would annoy them, but thats just me.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
do they have to oblige by the 5/1 deadline?There’s only a few more days to wait it out before the 5/1 deadline
hocus_bolus
Full Member
could today be the day?
volecowboy
Full Member
i hope socould today be the day?
Disappointed Idealist
New Member
I emailed them and they said application was still under consideration. Seems weird though 🤷♂️Mine looks the same as well
Today’s the last Friday in April before the plan to enroll deadline on AAMC and still nothing since my Jan interview. I lost hope and see this as a rejection, it just sucks that they’re holding people on until the last moment.
massachussetts123
Full Member
I'm feeling the same way, feeling pretty defeated tonight. hang in there <3Today’s the last Friday in April before the plan to enroll deadline on AAMC and still nothing since my Jan interview. I lost hope and see this as a rejection, it just sucks that they’re holding people on until the last moment.
Mind boggling how it’s April 28th and I still heard absolutely nothing since my November interview
D
deleted1170884
Super classy move from a super classy school.Mind boggling how it’s April 28th and I still heard absolutely nothing since my November interview
But people will still find a way to defend them.
Super classy move from a super classy school.
But people will still find a way to defend them.
Next year’s cycle is going to have a fun time reading this thread. I can’t imagine someone defending such an admission process
volecowboy
Full Member
so if we haven't heard anything yet should we assume it's WL or R?
so if we haven't heard anything yet should we assume it's WL or R?
For all we know it could be anything between an A to a WL to an R to a million dollar lottery ticket
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted1170884
Portal down for anyone else?
Mine seems finePortal down for anyone else?
yeah same, says invalid username and/or passwordPortal down for anyone else?
jang_gyuri_stan
New Member
Same! I guess we know what that must mean....yeah same, says invalid username and/or password
volecowboy
Full Member
What does this mean?Same! I guess we know what that must mean....
D
deleted1170884
R.
frustrationstation
New Member
R, interviewed 9/6
docdoc3000
Full Member
R, interviewed late Sept
jang_gyuri_stan
New Member
an R... Which I just received! Interviewed 3/12What does this mean?
tiredpremed777
New Member
instate R interview 3/12
D
deleted1170884
Anyone suprised with their decision?
I believe that I was a very strong applicant. 52X MCAT, high GPA, very strong ECs, LORs, high preview, excellent writing, and good interview skills.
I had an excellent cycle and got a lot of love from a lot of schools.
But, UMass is my state school. At the start of the cycle I told myself that even if I strike out everywhere else, I can count on UMass to have my back. Boy was I wrong.
I am honestly suprised that I didn't get into my state school as a resident of this state who was born here and never left. The same is true for a lot of other strong applicants that got rejected.
I do know several other residents who blatantly had much weaker applications. They all got in. The common denominator for the 4 applicants I know who got in is that their fathers are all physicians. I find that really interesting.
I believe that I was a very strong applicant. 52X MCAT, high GPA, very strong ECs, LORs, high preview, excellent writing, and good interview skills.
I had an excellent cycle and got a lot of love from a lot of schools.
But, UMass is my state school. At the start of the cycle I told myself that even if I strike out everywhere else, I can count on UMass to have my back. Boy was I wrong.
I am honestly suprised that I didn't get into my state school as a resident of this state who was born here and never left. The same is true for a lot of other strong applicants that got rejected.
I do know several other residents who blatantly had much weaker applications. They all got in. The common denominator for the 4 applicants I know who got in is that their fathers are all physicians. I find that really interesting.
Last edited by a moderator:
longsocks16
Full Member
I am in the same exact boat …Anyone suprised with their decision?
I believe that I was a very strong applicant. 52X MCAT, high GPA, very strong ECs, LORs, high preview, excellent writing, and good interview skills.
I had an excellent cycle and got a lot of love from a lot of schools.
But, UMass is my state school. At the start of the cycle I told myself that even if I strike out everywhere else, I can count on UMass to have my back. Boy was I wrong.
I am honestly suprised that I didn't get into my state school as a resident of this state who was born here and never left. The same is true for a lot of other strong applicants that got rejected.
I do know several other residents who blatantly had much weaker applications. They all got in. The common denominator for the 4 applicants I know who got it is that their fathers are all physicians. I find that really interesting.
volecowboy
Full Member
well I'm ****ting myself rn waiting for an email 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
volecowboy
Full Member
Feb interview. IS R. I rocked my MMI.
I am dropping all negativity associated with this school so I can focus on being excited to be a doctor at a school that wants me.
I am dropping all negativity associated with this school so I can focus on being excited to be a doctor at a school that wants me.
Last edited:
IS R reg MD January interview
cpr_girl_summer
Full Member
IS R. Interviewed NOVEMBER with an invite in AUGUST. Major lol
Turtleduck99
Full Member
OOS R. Interviewed 3/8
Pepe_Silvia
New Member
Oct interview -(no communication) -> April R (IS, MD)
A note to future applicants: In general, I was very naive when I received interview invites. I thought the only thing between me and an acceptance was a bombed interview. However, I can now say it’s more complicated than that. I had two interviewers from two different schools (UMASS and another) say they hoped their institution was my top choice. Fast forward: I received a Rejection and a WL.
Also, many qualified candidates who eventually get Accepted spend time on a WL: the med school WL isn’t the same as an undergrad WL. Before my cycle, I didn’t really know how likely it was to be waitlisted after interview (Answer: very likely).
Regarding UMASS specifically: They interview 20% of total applicants (50% of in state applicants). This is a high number compared to some schools that interview only 5% of total applicants. If you receive an interview invite here, don’t dwell on this number but keep it in mind when it comes to managing expectations.
I have been very fortunate this cycle and believe I ended up where I’m supposed to be (UMASS wasn’t a perfect match and they agreed). I’m hoping other people who did not find success with UMASS have found a great fit someplace else.
A note to future applicants: In general, I was very naive when I received interview invites. I thought the only thing between me and an acceptance was a bombed interview. However, I can now say it’s more complicated than that. I had two interviewers from two different schools (UMASS and another) say they hoped their institution was my top choice. Fast forward: I received a Rejection and a WL.
Also, many qualified candidates who eventually get Accepted spend time on a WL: the med school WL isn’t the same as an undergrad WL. Before my cycle, I didn’t really know how likely it was to be waitlisted after interview (Answer: very likely).
Regarding UMASS specifically: They interview 20% of total applicants (50% of in state applicants). This is a high number compared to some schools that interview only 5% of total applicants. If you receive an interview invite here, don’t dwell on this number but keep it in mind when it comes to managing expectations.
I have been very fortunate this cycle and believe I ended up where I’m supposed to be (UMASS wasn’t a perfect match and they agreed). I’m hoping other people who did not find success with UMASS have found a great fit someplace else.
Last edited:
rep_kestrel
Full Member
Post-II R just now (OOS)
D
deleted1149414
Post-II R (PURCH) - interviewed in August
FINALLY got my R lol eight months after being interviewed and one week after "confirm acceptance" being put in my portal with an error message if I clicked on it. I called admissions and they said that was weird, and it subsequently disappeared. At least I can finally move on lol
curbyourenthusiasm
Full Member
IS post II R
I’m not surprised now as in I didn’t expect them to roll out A’s on 4/29, but before the cycle I thought I had a very strong chance as an in-state resident whose application eventually ended up receiving success at other “higher ranked” schools.Anyone suprised with their decision?
I believe that I was a very strong applicant. 52X MCAT, high GPA, very strong ECs, LORs, high preview, excellent writing, and good interview skills.
I had an excellent cycle and got a lot of love from a lot of schools.
But, UMass is my state school. At the start of the cycle I told myself that even if I strike out everywhere else, I can count on UMass to have my back. Boy was I wrong.
I am honestly suprised that I didn't get into my state school as a resident of this state who was born here and never left. The same is true for a lot of other strong applicants that got rejected.
I do know several other residents who blatantly had much weaker applications. They all got in. The common denominator for the 4 applicants I know who got it is that their fathers are all physicians. I find that really interesting.
That being said, every school’s selection criteria is different and UMass is known not to value stats a ton (based on what their current admissions Dean said on a podcast), and stats were a big factor that I at least relied on to pull me through. Some schools may also weight the interview heavily, and for me, I thought my interview was extremely meh. I would be extremely surprised if parental occupation at all factored in especially since even the physician parents of admits are probably not affiliated with UMass and I don’t see it bringing the institution a ton of value to use that as a selection criterion.
Post-II R. Interviewed in Nov
For future threads, it seems like if you don’t hear back within a reasonable time then you’re just destined for the R on the last possible day
For future threads, it seems like if you don’t hear back within a reasonable time then you’re just destined for the R on the last possible day
OOS Post interview Rejection just now. Interviewed 2/9 :/
D
deleted1170884
Well I wouldn't be suprised at all.I’m not surprised now as in I didn’t expect them to roll out A’s on 4/29, but before the cycle I thought I had a very strong chance as an in-state resident whose application eventually ended up receiving success at other “higher ranked” schools.
That being said, every school’s selection criteria is different and UMass is known not to value stats a ton (based on what their current admissions Dean said on a podcast), and stats were a big factor that I at least relied on to pull me through. Some schools may also weight the interview heavily, and for me, I thought my interview was extremely meh. I would be extremely surprised if parental occupation at all factored in especially since even the physician parents of admits are probably not affiliated with UMass and I don’t see it bringing the institution a ton of value to use that as a selection criterion.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Post ii R, 216 days after my interview. I thought I was a perfect fit for this school and my interviewers told me so as well.
To future applicants reading this, let the examples today serve as a indicator of what you're getting yourself into by applying (and interviewing) here. But also keep in mind that fortunately many of us ended up at institutions that treated us much better throughout this process. If that happens to be UMass for you, then great. If not, it'll work out.
I will say now that I have nothing to lose I am going to submit a complaint to their handling of our applications, because it seems like my experience is not unique by any means
To future applicants reading this, let the examples today serve as a indicator of what you're getting yourself into by applying (and interviewing) here. But also keep in mind that fortunately many of us ended up at institutions that treated us much better throughout this process. If that happens to be UMass for you, then great. If not, it'll work out.
I will say now that I have nothing to lose I am going to submit a complaint to their handling of our applications, because it seems like my experience is not unique by any means
D
deleted1170884
I was debating on tearing them up, but I do plan on applying here for some residency programs. Be careful not to burn any bridges. The best we can do is warn future applicants. This place is a joke and the people continuing to defend them need to grow a spine.Post ii R, 216 days after my interview. I thought I was a perfect fit for this school and my interviewers told me so as well.
To future applicants reading this, let the examples today serve as a indicator of what you're getting yourself into by applying (and interviewing) here. But also keep in mind that fortunately many of us ended up at institutions that treated us much better throughout this process. If that happens to be UMass for you, then great. If not, it'll work out.
I will say now that I have nothing to lose I am going to submit a complaint to their handling of our applications, because it seems like my experience is not unique by any means
D
deleted1170884
Do you have a better explanation as to why me and a lot of my buddies who are 520+ scorers and excellent all around applicants struck out at this school, while a handful of our peers, who have physician parents, with sub 510 MCATs and near zero ECs had so much luck? They only got into UMass, no other schools, while those of us who were rejected got into to tons of other schools. I struggle to find a reason other than them being the child of a physician. But I'm open to listen to your reasons as to how this could happen. Year after year btw, same thing happened last year with a lot of strong applicants that I personally know.I’m not surprised now as in I didn’t expect them to roll out A’s on 4/29, but before the cycle I thought I had a very strong chance as an in-state resident whose application eventually ended up receiving success at other “higher ranked” schools.
That being said, every school’s selection criteria is different and UMass is known not to value stats a ton (based on what their current admissions Dean said on a podcast), and stats were a big factor that I at least relied on to pull me through. Some schools may also weight the interview heavily, and for me, I thought my interview was extremely meh. I would be extremely surprised if parental occupation at all factored in especially since even the physician parents of admits are probably not affiliated with UMass and I don’t see it bringing the institution a ton of value to use that as a selection criterion.
As someone who was accepted at "higher ranked" medical schools than UMass, I'm really peeved with how they handled their admissions process. I, like many others in this thread, am an IS applicant who was counting on UMass for reduced tuition. It seems like they handed out way, way too many IIs and couldn't sort through them all in a reasonable time. I hope they realize that it feels much more disrespectful to receive an II and have to wait this long rather than not receiving an II at all. I really feel for the applicants who had to wait forever to know whether they were going to medical school or had to undergo a difficult reapplication process. It sucked having to tell people for so long that I didn't know WHERE I was going to medical school, I can't imagine having to tell people I still didn't know IF I was going to medical school.
Highly unprofessional on UMass to make applicants wait this long, especially because of how many IS applicants they were stringing along. I certainly won't be forgetting this experience any time soon.
Highly unprofessional on UMass to make applicants wait this long, especially because of how many IS applicants they were stringing along. I certainly won't be forgetting this experience any time soon.