2023-2024 Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please carefully read the secondary instructions as some questions are required for MD while others are for MD/PhD. Question 7 is not listed as it only shows up for MD/PhD applicants. The following note is from admissions:

The secondary application has a required field for inputting Calculus; however, we would like to confirm it is not required. We have since removed this field from the application. For the Secondary question #6 (below) this is a required essay for all applicants. Our instructions incorrectly state it is for MD/PhD applicants; however, we need all applicants (MD and MD/PhD) to complete this important essay. If you have already submitted your secondary application without completing this prompt, we have automatically unsubmitted your application so you may add this.

2023-2024 Massachusetts Secondary Prompts

"MD applicants must answer questions 1, 2, 4 and 6 while MD/PhD applicants must also answer question 7 in addition to 1,2, 4 and 6. Questions 3 and 5 are options but should be answered if you participated in a UMass Chan Medical/Baystate sponsored program and if you are taking/took gap time respectively."

Q1
) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).

• 1) UMass Chan Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Share your definition of diversity. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMass Chan Medical School community. (Diversity)
  • 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)
  • 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)
  • 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)
  • 5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)
  • 6) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)
  • 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences. If you are reapplying to T.H. Chan SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application.(250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in T.H. Chan SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMass Chan Medical-Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to T.H. Chan SOM. (200 word limit)

Q4) Why did you apply to T.H. Chan SOM? (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Q6) Please describe an example of your personal and/or professional experience with and understanding of systemic inequity, exclusion, or lack of representation in health care in the United States. How did you arrive at this understanding? (200 word limit)

Track specific-questions:

Purch - Please describe how a focus on population health and healthcare disparities will benefit you in your training and/or career? Please limit your response to less than or equal to 500 words.

LEAD@Lahey - Based on your interests and life experiences, please describe how you might be a good fit for the LEAD@Lahey Pathway at UMass Chan Medical School? What unique experiences and perspectives might you bring to the class? Please limit your response to 250 words or less

Good luck to everyone applying!
Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I received the secondary this morning. Is anyone else having trouble accessing the PURCH section? When I click on it, it says you do not have access to this action item.

Hey all, I received the secondary this morning. Is anyone else having trouble accessing the PURCH section? When I click on it, it says you do not have access to this action item.
Did not receive the secondary but are the questions the same as last year?

OOS just received secondary.

Prompts: @chilly_md @Labe

1) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).

• 1) UMass Chan Medical School strives to be a diverse academic community mindful of the fact that diversity makes our community stronger and benefits the patients we serve. Share your definition of diversity. Describe an example where you contributed to the diversity of a group, team or class. Connect this to how you will contribute to the diversity of the UMass Chan Medical School community. (Diversity)

• 2) Describe a time when you have made a decision that was not popular and how you handled this. (Leadership competency)

• 3) Describe a time when you were on a team that was dysfunctional in some regard. How did you address the situation? (Teamwork)

• 4) Describe a meaningful interaction you have had with a person whom you have helped at work, school or another activity. (Empathy/Compassion)

• 5) Have you ever been in the middle of a situation where there was poor communication? What did you do to improve it? (Communication)

• 6) Describe a time when you have "thought outside the box" to solve a problem. (Inquiry)

• 7) Describe a time when you suffered a setback. How did you respond to this challenge? (Persistence/Grit)
Q2) Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences. If you are reapplying to T.H. Chan SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application.(250 word limit)

Q3) If you have participated in T.H. Chan SOM or UMass Memorial Health Care, or UMass Chan Medical-Baystate sponsored programs (SEP, Summer Research Program, Worcester Pipeline Collaborative, AHEC, BaccMD, HSPP, Academic Internships, BSEP, Summer Scholars) please describe how these programs helped you decide to apply to T.H. Chan SOM. (200 word limit)

Q5) If you are currently taking a gap year, in what activities are you engaged? (200 word limit)

Q6) Please describe an example of your personal and/or professional experience with and understanding of systemic inequity, exclusion, or lack of representation in health care in the United States. How did you arrive at this understanding? (200 word limit)

Reactions: 2 users
Slightly confused by the resume portion:

"If your education has not been continuous or if you completed your studies more than one year ago, please attach a curriculum vitae or resume below. This will help us to understand how you have spent your time and/or been employed since graduating from college.

If your experiences section on your AMCAS application is complete, you do not need to attach a CV/Resume."

By complete, do they mean all 15 activity slots are full?

Slightly confused by the resume portion:

"If your education has not been continuous or if you completed your studies more than one year ago, please attach a curriculum vitae or resume below. This will help us to understand how you have spent your time and/or been employed since graduating from college.

If your experiences section on your AMCAS application is complete, you do not need to attach a CV/Resume."

By complete, do they mean all 15 activity slots are full?
I think they mean if your activities section covers everything, there's no need for a resume

Reactions: 1 users
OOS just received secondary.

Prompts: @chilly_md @Labe

1) We would like to learn how you developed and demonstrated core professionalism competencies that are required of entering medical students. Please respond to the first prompt (#1; Diversity). Then select three of the other six prompts (#2-#7). Each response should be 150-200 words. Use the text box below for your answer. Separate each of your four responses by writing the competency above/before your response (example: Teamwork - All teams have their struggles, but they can be overcome...).

Want to add: "MD applicants must answer questions 1, 2 and 4 while MD/PhD applicants must also answer question 6. Questions 3 and 5 are options but should be answered if you participated in a UMass Chan Medical/Baystate sponsored program and if you are taking/took gap time respectively."

When I upload my photo, the thumbnail shown is distorted (webpage seems to smush my original image a bit top-to-bottom). Anyone else have a similar issue. The instructions do say "Image is resized to thumbnail." Unclear if original image would be viewed by admissions or just the thumbnail.

Reactions: 1 user
When I upload my photo, the thumbnail shown is distorted (webpage seems to smush my original image a bit top-to-bottom). Anyone else have a similar issue. The instructions do say "Image is resized to thumbnail." Unclear if original image would be viewed by admissions or just the thumbnail.
same here. hoping they only view the original lol

same here. hoping they only view the original lol
Thanks. I went onto a free photo editor (pixlr.com) and cropped the image to a square (1-to-1 ratio). When I upload this image the distortion goes away. Looks like, at least for the thumbnail, the site wants to force the image to be a square. Still wondering whether to upload the original or the more zoomed in square picture, that I like less.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can MD only applicants answer #6? This seems a little confusing lol

Can MD only applicants answer #6? This seems a little confusing lol
It seems that MD applicants technically still have the ability to answer this one. My take on it is if they wanted MD applicants to answer this one they wouldn't have explicitly specified that it was for MD/MPH applicants. I'm not going to answer.

For the prerequisite course section, are we only supposed to enter courses until we meet the requirement? And for the biology pre-requisites will we need to only use like gen bio and genetics or can it be any 2 bio classes?

@chilly_md Wanted to also share the essays for the specific tracks:

Purch - Please describe how a focus on population health and healthcare disparities will benefit you in your training and/or career? Please limit your response to less than or equal to 500 words.

LEAD@Lahey - Based on your interests and life experiences, please describe how you might be a good fit for the LEAD@Lahey Pathway at UMass Chan Medical School? What unique experiences and perspectives might you bring to the class? Please limit your response to 250 words or less

It seems that MD applicants technically still have the ability to answer this one. My take on it is if they wanted MD applicants to answer this one they wouldn't have explicitly specified that it was for MD/MPH applicants. I'm not going to answer.
Do you know how to designate that you want to apply MD/MPH?

i emailed them about this, will update when i get a response
It looks like it was a typo. Q6 should be answered by MD and MD/PhD. Q7 is the MD/PhD only question. Q1, Q2, Q4, and Q6 are required for MD and MD/PhD.

Reactions: 3 users
As in MD/PhD should not complete the question? Other posters indicated they do have to do it and there is an additional Q#7 that has not been posted here yet for MD/PhD specifically.
sorry I meant that #6 is for MD and MD/PhD. there is an additional question for MD/PhD as well, #7, but I cannot see it on the portal

As in MD/PhD should not complete the question? Other posters indicated they do have to do it and there is an additional Q#7 that has not been posted here yet for MD/PhD specifically.
It's unclear, the instructions have been revised to the following this morning: MD applicants must answer questions 1, 2, 4 and 6 while MD/PhD applicants must also answer question 7. Questions 3 and 5 are options but should be answered if you participated in a UMass Chan Medical/Baystate sponsored program and if you are taking/took gap time respectively.

6 seems to be optional for MD/PhD but it's not completely clear.

@chilly_md Just got this email for update on prompts and requirements:

1. As of this 2023-2024 application cycle, Calculus is no longer an admission requirement for the T.H. Chan School of Medicine. The secondary application has a required field for inputting Calculus; however, we would like to confirm it is not required. We have since removed this field from the application.
  2. For the Secondary question #6 (below) this is a required essay for all applicants. Our instructions incorrectly state it is for MD/PhD applicants; however, we need all applicants (MD and MD/PhD) to complete this important essay. If you have already submitted your secondary application without completing this prompt, we have automatically unsubmitted your application so you may add this.
"Please describe an example of your personal and/or professional experience with and understanding of systemic inequity, exclusion, or lack of representation in health care in the United States. How did you arrive at this understanding?"

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know if Q2 is mandatory? "Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences. If you are reapplying to T.H. Chan SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application."

I don't want to write about the obvious impacts of COVID like online classes and no clinical experience. It specifically doesn't mention the personal impacts of COVID so I'm not sure if I should write about that, and there's nothing else I want to add besides reusing a random essay.

Anyone know if Q2 is mandatory? "Please discuss any part of your application that you feel requires further explanation. For example, discuss grades or MCAT scores that do not reflect your true ability, and/or a gap in time that is not explained elsewhere in your application. Discuss any impact that the COVID-19 pandemic has had on your academic, service, extracurricular or employment experiences. If you are reapplying to T.H. Chan SOM, highlight how you have strengthened your application."

I don't want to write about the obvious impacts of COVID like online classes and no clinical experience. It specifically doesn't mention the personal impacts of COVID so I'm not sure if I should write about that, and there's nothing else I want to add besides reusing a random essay.
Based on an email they sent I think it is mandatory. COVID didn’t impact me much but I did write a few sentences about the minor impacts and then ended with saying overall it wasn’t too significant to not make it seem like I was overselling the impact.

i'm confused by the wording - if we took a gap year, do we answer only #5 in addition to 1, 2, 4, and 6? or 3 and 5?

i'm confused by the wording - if we took a gap year, do we answer only #5 in addition to 1, 2, 4, and 6? or 3 and 5?
Questions 3 and 5 should be answered if you participated in a UMass Chan Medical/Baystate sponsored program and if you are taking/took gap time respectively.

Questions 3 and 5 should be answered if you participated in a UMass Chan Medical/Baystate sponsored program and if you are taking/took gap time respectively.
Yes I also read this, I was hoping someone would be kind enough to confirm my question. Thanks

hey everyone, anyone else's application converting parts of text -- e.g. apostrophes, semi-colons -- in the essays into question marks after saving and leaving the page and then going back to it?

hey everyone, anyone else's application converting parts of text -- e.g. apostrophes, semi-colons -- in the essays into question marks after saving and leaving the page and then going back to it?
yes, you need to delete it and then re-type it directly in the text box. then hit save and it will be fine

Reactions: 1 users
damn their "residency validation" email gave me a mf heart attack

• Haha
is anyone else's legal residence marked as an underserved area in their secondary app...even though in my amcas i marked that I'm not...? should i email them to correct this?

yes, you need to delete it and then re-type it directly in the text box. then hit save and it will be fine
From the secondary portal: "Remember that when copying and pasting from word processing software into our application, apostrophes/quotation marks may become question marks. This will not impact the review of your application. You can prevent this from occurring by entering text directly into the text boxes on the application instead of copying and pasting."

not quite sure when it changed but my portal now says "under review", OOS and app was marked complete when they got my preview score (7/9) on july 18 , LizzyM 71

is anyone else's legal residence marked as an underserved area in their secondary app...even though in my amcas i marked that I'm not...? should i email them to correct this?
I just noticed this for me too..... I would think it's an error within UMass's portal? I might email. idk

Do you think it’s a negative thing that so scheduled my interview for 8/31 ( the latest option got this wave)? I have conflicts the other days but just didn’t know if this would affect me

Do you think it’s a negative thing that so scheduled my interview for 8/31 ( the latest option got this wave)? I have conflicts the other days but just didn’t know if this would affect me
I think it should be fine! They understand that there can be conflicts, so that’s why they generally offer many dates. Also it seems like we are in the first II wave, so any dates should still be good!

I think it should be fine! They understand that there can be conflicts, so that’s why they generally offer many dates. Also it seems like we are in the first II wave, so any dates should still be good!
agreed^

I'm OOS and haven't received a secondary yet. I do not have any ties to Massachusetts. Is it safe to say I got screened out? (52x MCAT and 3.8 GPA if that adds anything)

How much is the preview important for this school… got a 4 and kind of sad although I didn’t take it seriously and did better than my first time