2013-2014 University of Southern California (Keck) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Short Answer:
The following questions allow the Admissions Committee to become acquainted with you as an individual. Please answer the questions in 3-5 sentences.
What is the most fun you've had in the last year?
What is the most beautiful sight you've ever seen?
If you couldn`t be a health professional, what occupation would you choose?
If you could give yourself a nickname, what would it be?
If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?
What aspect of the preparation for becoming a physician did you find most challenging?

Essay:
Have you indicated that you represent a group that is Underrepresented in Medicine? If yes, what does this designation mean to you? Please answer the question in 250 words or less.

How will you be remembered by your medical school classmates 50 years from now? Please answer the question in 250 words or less.

Have you ever applied, been accepted, or matriculated to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)? If yes, tell us about your previous cycle(s). Please answer the question in 300 words or less.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying :)

Anybody else brainstorming on last year's secondary? What are the odds the prompts stay the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying here! Strong tie to California so I hope to get some love from them

good luck to you all!

i also have a strong tie to CA and LA.

was wondering what ppl think my chances are with a 3.5 gpa and 32 mcat. i have great ECs and LORs.

is 32 enough or do you think i need a better mcat score?

good luck to you all!

i also have a strong tie to CA and LA.

was wondering what ppl think my chances are with a 3.5 gpa and 32 mcat. i have great ECs and LORs.

is 32 enough or do you think i need a better mcat score?

I would actually be more concerned about your GPA. If you really want to attend, there's no harm in applying, but the concern is that they might screen you out pre-secondary just because of your stats, before even looking closely at your ECs or LORs.

Keck does not screen pre-secondary. Regardless, you will not be screened out with a 3.5.

So similar siituation except my mcat is a 30 and gpa is 3.9 do u think i will be screened out right away? I would think same chance since my gpa is much higher but mcat a little lower.

Keck does not screen pre-secondary. Regardless, you will not be screened out with a 3.5.

So similar siituation except my mcat is a 30 and gpa is 3.9 do u think i will be screened out right away? I would think same chance since my gpa is much higher but mcat a little lower.

3.9?! are you kidding me... we are not in a "similar situation"!

GET OUT OF HERE!

:sendoff:
:hungover:

whts ur problem a 32 mcat compared to 30 is a big difference trust me. thats pretty equivalent to our difference in gpa

whts ur problem a 32 mcat compared to 30 is a big difference trust me. thats pretty equivalent to our difference in gpa

Considering you have a 3.9 along with a 30+ MCAT (remember, matriculant average is still 31...), you're being needlessly neurotic. You won't be pre-screened at all, don't worry.

Interesting debate here, gentleman. Hah.

I am inclined to say that a 3.5 is "worse" than a 30. This is my own personal view of the scale (obviously open to interpretation)

3.0 - 26
3.5 - 29
3.55 - 30
3.6 - 31
3.65 - 32
3.7 - 33
3.75 - 34
3.8 - 35
3.85 - 36
3.9 - 37
3.95 - 38
4.0 - 39+

You've got to love SDN :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry about that, im just having a hard time relaxing. im pretty anxious is all.

Any idea when secondaries should be sent out?

Applying with 3.3 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 30 MCAT, 3.85 gradGPA, 2 years research, international experiences, tons of clinical volunteering, lots of shadowing. Anyone want to chime in and let me know if they think I've got a shot? Not URM, but SED.

I'm actually highly looking forward to doing this secondary - hooray for silly prompts! :laugh:

Short Answer:
The following questions allow the Admissions Committee to become acquainted with you as an individual. Please answer the questions in 3-5 sentences.
What is the most fun you’ve had in the last year?
What is the most beautiful sight you’ve ever seen?
What aspect of the preparation for becoming a physician did you find most challenging?

Essay:
Have you indicated that you represent a group that is Underrepresented in Medicine? If yes, what does this designation mean to you? If Yes, please answer the question in 250 words or less.

How will you be remembered by your medical school classmates 50 years from now? Please answer the question in 250 words or less.

Have you ever applied, been accepted, or matriculated to any medical school (M.D., D.O., international)? If yes, tell us about your previous cycle(s). Please answer the question in 300 words or less.

secondary received! does anyone know if doing research with a faculty member counts as a "faculty mentor"?

Yep, the prompts I posted above are this year's - just got it about 15 minutes ago!

secondary received! SoCal resident and one of my top choices!

Alright people, lets start sharing our nicknames...I'll go first; Bronco.

Secondary received!

One of my top choices!

I love the questions on this secondary!!

I'm actually having a tough time with them. I'm a pretty forgettable person lol, especially after 50 years.

Me too. Its kind of making me sad that I can't come up with the most beautiful thing I've ever seen or the most fun I've had in the last year. I need to get out more.

I'm actually having a tough time with them. I'm a pretty forgettable person lol, especially after 50 years.

The thing that's giving me the toughest time is the nickname question. Idk what to do with that one yet...and the fact that my internet has mad me restart THREE times already doesn't help :mad:

Is OOS interview invite rate really 5%??

Interesting debate here, gentleman. Hah.

I am inclined to say that a 3.5 is "worse" than a 30. This is my own personal view of the scale (obviously open to interpretation)

3.0 - 26
3.5 - 29
3.55 - 30
3.6 - 31
3.65 - 32
3.7 - 33
3.75 - 34
3.8 - 35
3.85 - 36
3.9 - 37
3.95 - 38
4.0 - 39+

You've got to love SDN :smuggrin:

3.75 - 34

is my exact mcat and GPA. Wow thats a bit spot on of you

I received the secondary today! The prompts are quite different, I have some thinking to do! :)

3.75 - 34

is my exact mcat and GPA. Wow thats a bit spot on of you

Well that just means your stats are well rounded :) Neither your GPA nor MCAT are "worse"

interesting debate here, gentleman. Hah.

3.0 - 26
3.5 - 29
3.55 - 30
3.6 - 31
3.65 - 32
3.7 - 33
3.75 - 34
3.8 - 35
3.85 - 36
3.9 - 37
3.95 - 38
4.0 - 39+

you've got to love sdn :smuggrin:

3.33 gpa, 30 mcat.

I received the secondary today! The prompts are quite different, I have some thinking to do! :)

Well that just means your stats are well rounded :) Neither your GPA nor MCAT are "worse"

Do you think you could post the prompts?

Talinnlove posted this above..

Short Answer:
What is the most fun you've had in the last year?
What is the most beautiful sight you've ever seen?

Essay:
Have you indicated that you represent a group that is Underrepresented in Medicine? If yes, what does this designation mean to you? If Yes, please answer the question in 250 words or less.

The application is asking for a photo, but it doesn't specify it as a passport photo. I have a "passport photo" with a white backdrop and professional attire that I have been using for my other secondaries, but I'd really like to use a photo that shows a bit more personality. I have a photo of me holding a decorated mask that I purchased while studying abroad, and I would really love to use this photo. It is still pretty professional looking but it has a little bit more color to it. What are your guys' thoughts about using different photos than a passport photo?

The application is asking for a photo, but it doesn't specify it as a passport photo. I have a "passport photo" with a white backdrop and professional attire that I have been using for my other secondaries, but I'd really like to use a photo that shows a bit more personality. I have a photo of me holding a decorated mask that I purchased while studying abroad, and I would really love to use this photo. It is still pretty professional looking but it has a little bit more color to it. What are your guys' thoughts about using different photos than a passport photo?

I think the essays give enough opportunity to share personality. Go with the professional shot.

Just submitted; what nicknames did people put?

Just submitted; what nicknames did people put?

Magnum. By the way is "If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?" a loaded question? I think I'll go with: to Keck School of Medicine. I know how much USC likes their donations.

Magnum. By the way is "If you had enormous wealth, how would you allocate your charitable donations?" a loaded question? I think I'll go with: to Keck School of Medicine. I know how much USC likes their donations.

Haha, hello Magnum. I'm Bronco.

I wrote about starting a research organization.

Did you explain your nickname? I literally wrote "bronco. I have no deep meaning for it, I just think it's a cool sounding nick name"

Do you think it's best to send my letters forward even if I'm still waiting for one more to come? Should I wait for the Science prof to upload his letter, then upload all letters together? I don't expect the letter to come until a week from now, but I'm finished with the secondary.

Haha, hello Magnum. I'm Bronco.

I wrote about starting a research organization.

Did you explain your nickname? I literally wrote "bronco. I have no deep meaning for it, I just think it's a cool sounding nick name"

What up Bronco!

Yeah I briefly explained the story of how I was given the nickname when I was living in Venezuela. The story's a long one lol.

Sincerely, Magnum

For the question about whether you've applied to med schools in the past, if I am an reapplicant, do you think this would be a good place to sneak in what i've done since last year?

I have my first paragraph about applying to med school last year, and what I believe to be the reasons behind my unsuccessful cycle. And I spend the next few paragraphs talking about what I have done to improve my application.

Is that okay?

For the question about whether you've applied to med schools in the past, if I am an reapplicant, do you think this would be a good place to sneak in what i've done since last year?

I have my first paragraph about applying to med school last year, and what I believe to be the reasons behind my unsuccessful cycle. And I spend the next few paragraphs talking about what I have done to improve my application.

Is that okay?

Absolutely. If I was a re applicant that'd be my approach.

Is that okay?

This is what I did too.

For the nickname I literally wrote "Sonic, because I gotta go fast!"