2013-2014 University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M1 here to answer your questions about applying, interviewing, and anything else associated with the school. However, fair warning, replies may take a while due to limited free time. So PMs will probably be answered faster than thread questions. Good luck!

P.S. :hello: Stewabeet! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

It'd be awesome to have the option of doing the first year in Memphis and finishing out in Knoxville. Some of their pharm students do this

I'm an M4 at UT and just wanted to know you can do most or all of your clinical (M3/4) years in Knoxville or Chattanooga, with more rotations being available in Knoxville.

I've received and completed my secondary. My very broad question is, what are the chances for a lower MCAT/lower GPA? Are there multiple students in your class who have mid-to-high 20's MCAT scores? East Tenn rejected me pre-secondary right away, and I def thought I had a better chance there than here.

Members don't see this ad :)
M1 here to answer your questions about applying, interviewing, and anything else associated with the school.

I have a few questions.

1) I read in previous threads that UT used the traditional A/B/C/D grading system. Is this true, or has the school adopted a P/F system? Is there a lot of cut-throat competition or grade-grubbing among the students?

2) Does the school utilize a systems-based approach during the preclinical years?

3) How much time off is given to prepare for Step-1? Does the school offer perks, like discounts for things like UWorld/Firecracker/etc?

4) What do you like about living in Memphis? I did spend a summer in the city and enjoyed my time there (well, except for the humidity and occasional thunder storm).

M1 here to answer your questions about applying, interviewing, and anything else associated with the school. However, fair warning, replies may take a while due to limited free time. So PMs will probably be answered faster than thread questions. Good luck!

P.S. :hello: Stewabeet! ;)

I keep hearing about the early clinical exposure and how hands-on UT is with their med students. How much interaction do you actually get? Does it only start in M3, or are there opportunities as an M1/M2? Is it just scut work and transporting patients around?

I keep hearing about the early clinical exposure and how hands-on UT is with their med students. How much interaction do you actually get? Does it only start in M3, or are there opportunities as an M1/M2? Is it just scut work and transporting patients around?

Omg you have no idea. Will return to answer this later. You'll be amazed: Suture tech and associated responsibilities are possible for those that wish to do such things and much more.
I've received and completed my secondary. My very broad question is, what are the chances for a lower MCAT/lower GPA? Are there multiple students in your class who have mid-to-high 20's MCAT scores? East Tenn rejected me pre-secondary right away, and I def thought I had a better chance there than here.

Depends on the combination: It's generally easier for a higher MCAT to compensate for lower GPAs than vice versa. There are some high 20s and I imagine a couple mid 20s. We don't tend to discuss our scores with each other, though; so it's difficult to know for sure. The class composite mean is useless, of course; and I'm not aware of the median, range, or mode. To put it in perspective, otherwise über competitive applicants will be interviewed with low MCATs (~23), but by no means accepted.

In a nutshell, if you're worried, shoot for the stars AND low hanging fruit (i.e., less competitive allopathic schools and osteopathic schools as back ups).

I have a few questions.

1) I read in previous threads that UT used the traditional A/B/C/D grading system. Is this true, or has the school adopted a P/F system? Is there a lot of cut-throat competition or grade-grubbing among the students?

2) Does the school utilize a systems-based approach during the preclinical years?

3) How much time off is given to prepare for Step-1? Does the school offer perks, like discounts for things like UWorld/Firecracker/etc?

4) What do you like about living in Memphis? I did spend a summer in the city and enjoyed my time there (well, except for the humidity and occasional thunder storm).

1) ABCF, but very collegial, no true gunning (throwing under the bus). I'm personally seeing to it that true P/F or H/P/F is lobbied to the admin. I think it's terrible that we're among the very last to remain ABCF.

2) Absolutely yes. First semester is the only non-systems while you learn all molecular requisites and gross anatomy to set you up for systems by March of your M1 Spring semester, basically like being an M2 curriculum wise.

3) I believe it's 5 or 6 weeks with most students saving a week post step to recuperate, can get back to you if you want me to verify down to the week. No perks :( But you all will likely have iPads in gross like ETSU. Trust me, that's a huge perk. All our books are optionally kept free on google drive including all groas atlases like Rohen's and Netters, super helpful.

4) Utterly honest here, food and trauma (top 10 trauma ward in the nation size and volume wise). I loathe TN weather, ESP in Memphis due to humidity from the river. I'm a Cali kid, though.

Pls excuse typos & brevity, sent via iPhone.

Last edited:
When do you suspect we should start hearing about interviews? I received a secondary on the Wednesday of the first week they were sending them out.... Just curious, the anticipation is killing me!

Interviews don't begin until October. My guess is that the first set of invites will go out in two weeks. Interviews are on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of each week. Here's the interview schedule for 2014. http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/Admissions/schedules/2014_INTERVIEW_DATES.pdf

To Guero, thanks for the response. I'm curious to know more about the suturing and stuff! It seems like UT places an emphasis on clinical skills. Add that to the high volume of patients that come through the system, and you have students that should be ready to hit the ground running for residency!

*Edit*

http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/Admissions/docs/INTERVIEW_PACKET.pdf

Yep, residency is far easier for students from a place like UT than an overly academic, (comparatively) low volume, resident/fellow heavy institution. Promise to elaborate soon.

Last edited:
Interviews don't begin until October. My guess is that the first set of invites will go out in two weeks. Interviews are on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of each week. Here's the interview schedule for 2014. http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/Admissions/schedules/2014_INTERVIEW_DATES.pdf

To Guero, thanks for the response. I'm curious to know more about the suturing and stuff! It seems like UT places an emphasis on clinical skills. Add that to the high volume of patients that come through the system, and you have students that should be ready to hit the ground running for residency!

*Edit*

http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/Admissions/docs/INTERVIEW_PACKET.pdf

I'm actually typing this from the cath lab viewing room between cases as I precept with my assigned mentor, an electrophysiologist. Your clinical opportunities are immense if you're interested in taking extra time to seek those opportunities. If you're only interested in studying, you still have required activities (e.g., standardized pts and preceptor visits). Your first history with a standardized pt (known colloquially as a "SPED") will take place 4 weeks into the first semester. These activities continue periodically throughout your tenure from M1 to M4 and increase in complexity as you learn new skills. This is just part of the class known as PCM (principles of clinical medicine). Preceptors are assigned to each student and can range from family medicine/internal medicine/peds to cardiology/ortho/GI etc. You're required to do 5 shifts of 5 hours per semester and provide documentation on 5 pts per visit. This is also just part of the PCM class. PCM is a bit of talking point among students due to its variable perception of worth by each student... Take that as you will; I'm only here to inform rather than evaluate. ;)

As far as extra activities, you can do suture tech, which is preliminarily a volunteer position of 12 hour shifts where you're in the trauma bay at the med providing wound care, suturing lacs, assisting, etc for all trauma presentations, including shock trauma by land and air. The position itself is achieved by garnering respect and demonstrating work ethic while shadowing an established tech for a year. It's your responsibility to seek out and shadow established techs. They'll record your hours and comment on your work ethic, which will be reviewed at the end of the year when the few permanent positions become available. If you're hired on, you'll start getting paid for those shifts. That's when the attendings and nurses really know you.

Other clinical opportunities include clinic Esperanza, which is a primary care clinic serving the indigent locals with an emphasis on the Hispanic population. There are other free clinics that would love to have some extra help, too; but I'm not yet familiar with them.

Then you have the experiences as you rotate, which are unbridled in emergency medicine, trauma, gen surgery, Ortho, and peds due to Memphis's unique hospitals and pt population.

I hope is has answered your questions. Please let me know what other questions you have.

Pls excuse typos, sent via iPad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight Guero!! Do you/your classmates have the time to basically have a weekend/side job with the classes? With those 12 hour shifts, that's what it seems like.

Thanks for the insight Guero!! Do you/your classmates have the time to basically have a weekend/side job with the classes? With those 12 hour shifts, that's what it seems like.

Yes and no, it depends on the individual student and what s/he deems appropriate to prioritize. That said, those that do prioritize suture tech work variable schedules, sometimes more, sometimes less than other times throughout the year. I can provide further insight a little later on after I've done a few more shifts with a few more people, a bit of a chance to gather diverse perspectives. :)

Pls excuse typos and edits, iPhone again. (That sig never works on the app.)

Still no one has received an interview invite?! I thought interviews started the first week of October... I was in the first round of secondaries sent, competitive applicant, and still haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still no one has received an interview invite?! I thought interviews started the first week of October... I was in the first round of secondaries sent, competitive applicant, and still haven't heard anything.

Neither have I. Don't stress it. We'll get there when we get there.

Yup. Waiting is the name of the game.

Speaking of games, you can pass the time by watching UT take on Florida tomorrow. Can UT pull of a win in Gainseville under Butch Jones?

Yes and no, it depends on the individual student and what s/he deems appropriate to prioritize. That said, those that do prioritize suture tech work variable schedules, sometimes more, sometimes less than other times throughout the year. I can provide further insight a little later on after I've done a few more shifts with a few more people, a bit of a chance to gather diverse perspectives. :)

Pls excuse typos and edits, iPhone again. (That sig never works on the app.)

Awesome! Either way, the emphasis on early clinical exposure is a huge pro to UT

Speaking of games, you can pass the time by watching UT take on Florida tomorrow. Can UT pull of a win in Gainseville under Butch Jones?

I'm thinking no, but I'm down here in Gainesville for the weekend to find out.

I'm thinking Butch, Please.... Anything is possible this year #VFL

With a freshman quarterback? Probably not. I would feel more confident that they might pull it off if this game had been last week. I'm a bit more concerned about the team's mentality after last Saturday's beatdown.

Also, it looks like interview invites started going out after September 20th last year. I'm willing to bet that the first invites go out sometime in the next week...

Sloppy game so far, yet neither team seems able to capitalize on the other's mistake. I say UT has a chance to pull off a win, but we shall see.

FP, interviews start October 7th, so invites next week sounds about right (2 weeks before the actual interview).

As far as I know - and maybe Guero can answer this - the interviews at UT are divided into a "personal" and "academic" interview. The former looks to see your motivations for medicine as well as the typical interview stuff, while the latter more or less asks things like how you deal with stress or prepare for an exam.

And, Florida punches it in for a score after the interception. Too early to start with the wait for next year talk?

...well that didn't end as planned.
Let's look on the bright side. Florida didn't cover the spread :)

. . .
As far as I know - and maybe Guero can answer this - the interviews at UT are divided into a "personal" and "academic" interview. The former looks to see your motivations for medicine as well as the typical interview stuff, while the latter more or less asks things like how you deal with stress or prepare for an exam.

Correct, one is supposed to focus on more ethical and personal questions while the other is supposed to focus on your academic history. However, it doesn't always go according to plan; so be prepared to discuss anything. Personally, I had the wonderful fortune of being pimped in all topics at each interview. :/

II today! Here they come everyone!

Filling out my secondary...hoping for an interview!

Edited to add: 100th post...woot! :)

II last night!!!!! So happy and ready to wear orange another 4 years!!

Last edited:
II last night!!!!! So happy and ready to where orange another 4 years!!
Gratz!

FWIW, I heard your potential class (c/o 2018) will be getting hanging iPads for anatomy, taking after ETSU's precedent. And let me say, we're rather jelly. ;)

GL at the interview! If you see a heavily tattooed med student stop in to steal food, that was me.
bth_Seagull_steals_chips.gif

Gratz!

FWIW, I heard your potential class (c/o 2018) will be getting hanging iPads for anatomy, taking after ETSU's precedent. And let me say, we're rather jelly. ;)

GL at the interview! If you see a heavily tattooed med student stop in to steal food, that was me.
bth_Seagull_steals_chips.gif

That's awesome news!

Thanks for the well wishes; I couldn't be more excited! I'll keep an eye out for you if you will do the same... I'll be the blonde smiling/talking too much because she's nervous out of her mind.

large.gif

Last edited:
Any recommendations for hotels/bnbs/places to stay in Memphis other than what's listed in UTHSC's interview packet?

Any recommendations for hotels/bnbs/places to stay in Memphis other than what's listed in UTHSC's interview packet?

I have no idea what was listed in the packet but I stayed at the Madison. Super super close to the school/Beale St. Rooftop bar. Really nice. I enjoyed it.

Hey Guero! Was in Memphis last Monday-Wednesday. Ran into about 5 of my M1/M2 friends, but never saw you :(

I have no idea what was listed in the packet but I stayed at the Madison. Super super close to the school/Beale St. Rooftop bar. Really nice. I enjoyed it.

Hey Guero! Was in Memphis last Monday-Wednesday. Ran into about 5 of my M1/M2 friends, but never saw you :(

Thanks for the quick reply!

Edit: Went ahead and booked it, thanks for the rec.

Last edited:

Sorry, it was a test week. I was hidden in the bowels of SASS studying for the majority of that week. However, if you interviewed on Monday or Wednesday and stopped by the lab, I was the bearded one in the gray underarmour (long sleeves). My team is in the very first dissection room, which is what any student that tours the lab sees on interview day.

Also, if anyone prefers a cheaper, closer option, I recommend the Holiday Inn on Union. You can also email us at Phi Chi to see if we have an open guest room (free and literally a 10-15 minute walk from the 910 Madison Bldg where you arrive for interview day): [email protected]

Cheers and GL!

Sorry, it was a test week. I was hidden in the bowels of SASS studying for the majority of that week. However, if you interviewed on Monday or Wednesday and stopped by the lab, I was the bearded one in the gray underarmour (long sleeves). My team is in the very first dissection room, which is what any student that tours the lab sees on interview day.

The anatomy lab you mean? We did, but the group was a few students and an instructor (African American lady if that helps). Don't remember any beards or underarmour :/ evidently the committee is meeting about my interview group at the end of the month and letters go out first week in Nov. Wish me luck! :)

The anatomy lab you mean? We did, but the group was a few students and an instructor (African American lady if that helps). Don't remember any beards or underarmour :/ evidently the committee is meeting about my interview group at the end of the month and letters go out first week in Nov. Wish me luck! :)

Yup, I meant the anatomy lab, sorry. I've fallen prey to abbreviating everything. Anyway, it sounds like you all made it to the anatomy lab either before or after we had lab (10a-12p). :/

Good luck! I'm sure you did quite well.

Quick question for Guero if you happen to look at this.. I saw in last year's thread that Nelson Strother had told you that were going to get an interview invite. How did this conversation come about if you don't mind me asking? Did you just call him or email him and ask him? Thanks!

Quick question for Guero if you happen to look at this.. I saw in last year's thread that Nelson Strother had told you that were going to get an interview invite. How did this conversation come about if you don't mind me asking? Did you just call him or email him and ask him? Thanks!
I wrote an email politely and professionally asking for a status update. :) They work wonders at most schools! GL

I interviewed in the first group on October 7th, and they said they were having the committee meeting on the 25th of October and now I am just waiting to get my letter. Does anyone know how long it takes, I haven't got an email saying my letter is in the mail and I've heard they do that or have in the past years. I was the first 8 people to interview and I feel like i will get in, I have a 4.0 GPA (Biochem), a 33MCAT (12,9,12), research, and a ton of shadowing experience and medical mission trips both abroad and in the U.S. But I worry anyways because that's just how I am. So if anyone knows about when I should get the letter, thanks. It would be very calming to know.