2014-2015 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had my interview december 9th...they said it would be 8ish weeks before we hear back but has anyone heard anything? how long (if you were already accepted/rejected post interview) did it take you to hear back on average?

Thanks in advance

I had mine around the same time as you and haven't heard anything yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had my interview december 9th...they said it would be 8ish weeks before we hear back but has anyone heard anything? how long (if you were already accepted/rejected post interview) did it take you to hear back on average?

Thanks in advance
I interviewed in the same time frame as you, I've yet to hear anything back. The admission's person said that with the holiday's and MLK day, the likely time frame for a response was 8 to 10 weeks.

I promise that I'll post here when I hear anything, I know how stressful the waiting is. I think that a lot of schools unleashed a ton of pre-interview rejections in the new year, which has really sucked.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE IN 2015.
 
I'm really surprised I haven't been rejected yet. I'm feeling the breath of rejection on my back. But at least they don't so silent rejections, I hate when schools just can't be bothered to send a simple "no, thanks, but good luck".


Me too! I'm so nervous because this is my TOP choice! I fell in love with the school a couple of years ago and would pick it over any other school. It kills me when I see people say that they don't want to go here while I would literally sell a kidney just for an interview... Praying I hear something soon!
 
Last edited:
They didn't complete my application until 12/3
Where do you see when you were complete?

Related question: if you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal until you have an interview?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me too! I'm so nervous because this is my TOP choice! I fell in love with the school a couple of years ago and would pick it over any other school. It kills me when I see people say that they don't want to go here while I would literally sell a kidney just for an interview... Praying I hear something soon!
Sorry you haven't heard anything yet, esp since you're so excited about this school. Would you elaborate on NYMCs strengths? I really want to like this school since I have family that lives nearby. They speak very highly of the facilities and patient pool, but I have heard some vague negativity es.


Posted using SDN Mobile
 
Hello all!

I'm an M1 and since I used SDN like crazy last year, I figure I should offer up all of you to ask me any questions about NYMC. Feel free to message me about anything.

Best of luck to those with interviews!
Don't give up!!
 
Hey @PinkyandtheBrain!

Thanks for for saying hello! I was wondering if you can could comment on a few things-

Housing
4 yr md/mph.
Research Opportunities
Free time
Anything else youd like to share 🙂

Thanks!!



Hello all!

I'm an M1 and since I used SDN like crazy last year, I figure I should offer up all of you to ask me any questions about NYMC. Feel free to message me about anything.

Best of luck to those with interviews!
Don't give up!!



Hello all!

I'm an M1 and since I used SDN like crazy last year, I figure I should offer up all of you to ask me any questions about NYMC. Feel free to message me about anything.

Best of luck to those with interviews!
Don't give up!!
 
Hey @PinkyandtheBrain!
Thanks for for saying hello! I was wondering if you can could comment on a few things-

Housing
4 yr md/mph.
Research Opportunities
Free time
Anything else youd like to share 🙂

Thanks!!

Sure I'll try!

For housing: I live off campus with my husband and I know a few other people who live with their spouses/significant others. But the on-campus housing is the typical dorm style. I think it is 3-4 people per apartment, single bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and shared kitchen/living area. You can end up rooming with A&P students, physical therapy students or other med students. There are furnished and unfurnished options that you can chose from in a lottery style. As a first year, I'm pretty sure that very few people got unfurnished because most of the second years took all the spots. That being said, they are clean if somewhat old and a bit run down. The gym is really crappy but they did just put in a new laundry room. As an off-campus student you can't use any of these things nor can I get into the dorms so I only know from what my friends have said or what I have seen when I visit them. I much prefer living off campus. It is quieter and the drive isn't very long since there are major highways to and from school in pretty much all directions. Also, the cafeteria on campus only serves lunch and only during the week (mon-fri) so you WILL need to cook for yourself/go out every day regardless of where you live. And all the food is Kosher.

The MD/MPH: I think you get an MPH on top of your MD in the same amount of time. It is a lot of extra work and I honestly don't know how anyone could afford it (the time OR the money). It is an extra $40,000, which when you already pay $80k a year, is a lot of money. Personally, I don't know anyone doing this or really anything about it.

Research: typical opportunities for research during the summer between M1 and M2. You could do it during the school year, but again, I don't think you would have any time and it certainly wouldn't be easy. Most people do research during that last summer. Personally, I hate research so I am not going into it, but there are a lot of opportunities at NYMC and around the country for that if you want it.

Free time: hahahaha You know you are applying to medical school, right?? Hmm, well as a member of the Touro college system, we get all the Jewish holidays off which if you are not Jewish then this is an excellent time to study, but this only really applies in the fall. In terms of free time, I get about an hour or so a day to myself and maybe 6hrs per weekend, so either Friday night or Saturday night. We take tests every 2-3 weeks, so you are always studying for a major exam. The pace, especially for first year, is very intense. I know some people who take a day or two off here and there and maybe you can do that like once a test cycle, but any more than that and you'd fall too far behind. The reality in medical school is that you are always a few days, a few lectures, or a few topics behind, but you have to try your best to stay on top of everything and accept that you can't memorize or learn every little thing.

Typically you are in class from 9am-4 or 5pm. Then you study for probably 6hrs a night on a "light night", but for a test, many people will do more. I usually get about 5hrs of sleep per night. Not trying to scare you, just be prepared for a massive life change. You won't have time to go on long vacations or take huge breaks. You won't have much time for anything outside of studying. You get 2 weeks for Christmas and a week of Spring break, so use it wisely. Other than that, it is a constant push to study and keep up with all the material. That being said, use the time you have off as exactly that, TIME OFF. Relax on break as much as you can, go to NYC, visit your family or friends, go out after the exams to the bar nights and blow off steam. Because you really need to recharge, it is absolutely essential.
 
I have an interview here tomorrow, just a quick question for anyone that may know.

Is the admissions committee flexible with the end time for the day? The schedule says the day will end at approximately 3:45.

There is a blizzard watch for tomorrow afternoon into Tuesday night and I would love to try to get back to the west coast before the brunt of it hits and all the flights are delayed or cancelled Tuesday.
 
Can any current students talk about how the curriculum works in practice? It seemed a bit confusing/ frustrating compared to a systems based design.
 
Are they still handing out II or is it just over at this point?
I just got a hold notice (which I have read does not generally translate into an II) but the email did state that they may continue to review/send IIs through April, so one never knows. Of course, what they say and what they do could be entirely different...
 
I just got a hold notice (which I have read does not generally translate into an II) but the email did state that they may continue to review/send IIs through April, so one never knows. Of course, what they say and what they do could be entirely different...

Bummer, do you mind sharing stats?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview coming up next week and was wondering about getting there. I had planned to drive in from the New England area but with the recent blizzard (and the fact that the car is front wheel drive) I've decided public transportation is probably the way to go. Has anyone traveled in from Rhode Island/Massachusetts? Options would be taking a train to Stamford and then having to take a 30 min Uber or taking the train all the way to Penn Station and then commuter railing...any experience/advice? thanks!
 
I have an interview coming up next week and was wondering about getting there. I had planned to drive in from the New England area but with the recent blizzard (and the fact that the car is front wheel drive) I've decided public transportation is probably the way to go. Has anyone traveled in from Rhode Island/Massachusetts? Options would be taking a train to Stamford and then having to take a 30 min Uber or taking the train all the way to Penn Station and then commuter railing...any experience/advice? thanks!

Driving is still your best bet. The roads will be clear by next week. Trains and Uber/taxis are too unpredictable. Just watch the weather and you'll be good, especially if you drive in the night before.
 
I have an interview coming up next week and was wondering about getting there. I had planned to drive in from the New England area but with the recent blizzard (and the fact that the car is front wheel drive) I've decided public transportation is probably the way to go. Has anyone traveled in from Rhode Island/Massachusetts? Options would be taking a train to Stamford and then having to take a 30 min Uber or taking the train all the way to Penn Station and then commuter railing...any experience/advice? thanks!

Westchester did not get hit hard. I drive to work there everyday, the roads are clear. Granted, I don't know about the path there from New England, but from what I hear it should be fine. Good luck!
 
And there goes my first choice...... Just received a rejection email. Best luck to those of you who received II and are still in the running. NYMC is incredible. Best wishes xx
 
Where do you see when you were complete?

Related question: if you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal until you have an interview?

Hey I was just reading through this thread again and saw your question doesn't look like it got answered. I got a rejection email on 01/16, but my portal hadn't changed. Actually I just checked the portal again today and it still says my application is "Under Review" by the committee even though I have definitely been rejected. So in conclusion I think the portal is basically useless for anticipating updates.
 
I'm interviewing on Monday, and I've already paid for travel arrangements and booked a hotel. Can any current students comment on the likelihood of campus being closed due to 3-5 inches of predicted snow?
 
Don't remember exactly when but it was late August / early September. However, I received the KIT email on September 9th.
Sry to hear that =\
My KIT was in the summer and i dont recall a hold email (altho its been a while). This seemed like such a great school esp when u hear current/past students talk about it. Would anyone happen to know if we can all expect some kind of 'pre intv' rejection if that decision is made? My portal has not changed since July when i was marked 'under review' by the committee.
 
I have an interview coming up next week and was wondering about getting there. I had planned to drive in from the New England area but with the recent blizzard (and the fact that the car is front wheel drive) I've decided public transportation is probably the way to go. Has anyone traveled in from Rhode Island/Massachusetts? Options would be taking a train to Stamford and then having to take a 30 min Uber or taking the train all the way to Penn Station and then commuter railing...any experience/advice? thanks!
Hope this isn't too late, but I used to take Megabus from Boston to NYC all the time, and they drop you off by Penn Station. Cheap and (relatively) reliable. From Penn Station it's easy to get up to Westchester
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I should also mention I did the NYMC STAR Summer research program twice during undergrad. Which I think helped, especially since my stats were on the lower side.