-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
congrats to all, and a huge thanks for those withdrawing early! I interviewed a month after you guys, so hopefully good news soon
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I interviewed on 12/16 and have not heard back. Are acceptances handed out throughout the day or do they come at a certain time of the day and thats all?
Accepted! So much relief!
wow, congrats man! well deserved
Hmm. Not sure. Did you check your spam? Only way I found out was that I got an email about a Background check, but the only AAMC school interview I've had is NYMC, and I hadn't heard anything, so I checked my school email spam, and it was there.I interviewed on 12/16 and have not heard back. Are acceptances handed out throughout the day or do they come at a certain time of the day and thats all?
wow, congrats man! well deserved
Thanks dude! Hoping for you too the rest of this cycle, you got this!
And I don't know about the portal, on my phone so I ct check, sorry
This is literally what it says on mine:for those who got a decision today- did your status on the portal change? I interviewed around the same time and also haven't heard. Its stressing me out!!
DECISION NOTIFICATION
This section contains updated information about the decision notification process.
- Interviewed applicants can expect to receive notification of a decision within 8-10 weeks from their interview date.
- Decision notifications are sent via email or the US Postal Service. Please be sure to update AMCAS (www.aamc.org/students/applying/amcas) with any changes to your permanent contact information. Please also be sure to remove all junk mail filters from your email settings.
Rejected pre-interview.
Rejected pre-interview.
+1
I have heard no news from this school since submitting my secondary. I'm wondering if there is any chance of II at this point...
They interview until March, I believeI have heard no news from this school since submitting my secondary. I'm wondering if there is any chance of II at this point...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rejected pre-interview.
+2
They interview until March, I believe
In the NYMC thread from last year, people had IIs well into end of April. However, the question is when do they send out the last batch of IIs...?
wait-listed, interviewed first week of December. oh well, gotta keep my head up!
wait-listed, interviewed first week of December. oh well, gotta keep my head up!
+1. I will probably decline my spot. Best of luck to everyone!
Waitlisted. So upset. This is the only MD I interviewed at and I have great stats! Idk what I did wrong?!
D
DenTony11235
Was anyone able to find the emails of any interviewers?
Was anyone able to find the emails of any interviewers?
There is no reason to do this for MMIs. Just send a thank you email directly to admissions if you want to show your appreciation.
I sent an email with an update post interview and slipped in a quick "thank you for the great interview day."
Waitlisted. So upset. This is the only MD I interviewed at and I have great stats! Idk what I did wrong?!
Stay positive! Make sure you send updates and a letter of interest sometime.
D
deleted643377
In terms of sending in the deposit, do we need to wait for something special in the acceptance packet, or can we just send a cheque in the mail?
In terms of sending in the deposit, do we need to wait for something special in the acceptance packet, or can we just send a cheque in the mail?
Na, I just sent off a check and then called to confirm a week or so later
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ouch. Sorry about that. I'm sure the same is on the way for me, these months of silence have been deafening.Aaaaaaaaaaaaand rejected after months of silence. lol Complete back in mid-July.
Also rejected! Their rejection letter is actually the rudest one I've gotten thus far... They seem to assume that because you didn't get into their school, you aren't going to get in anywhere else. Silly NYMC!
🙁 do you mind sharing your stats. Been complete since July kinda annoyed why i haven't heard back yet.
No worries, and it's more than okay actually since I was planning on withdrawing my application because I've been accepted to a school higher on my list than NYMC!🙁 do you mind sharing your stats. Been complete since July kinda annoyed why i haven't heard back yet.
Last edited:
+1!🙁 do you mind sharing your stats. Been complete since July kinda annoyed why i haven't heard back yet.
Was put on pre-II hold in early December, anyone know what the odds are of getting a II?
Wait, that's bull****. You should've replied being like, "Actually, I've been accepted elsewhere already. Thank you for showing me your arrogance and total lack of confidence, you piece of ****."Also rejected! Their rejection letter is actually the rudest one I've gotten thus far... They seem to assume that because you didn't get into their school, you aren't going to get in anywhere else. Silly NYMC!
🙁 do you mind sharing your stats. Been complete since July kinda annoyed why i haven't heard back yet.
I've been complete for quite a while too without hearing anything. They seem to reject pre-interview though, so I guess no news is good news? Otherwise they'd have dumped our apps by now you'd think🙄
losing hope hear. been complete since early august, no word.
Does anyone know if NYMC does a revisit day for accepted students?
Does anyone know if NYMC does a revisit day for accepted students?
This came up during the tour, they don't have a set day for a revisit but said you are welcome to visit anytime.
Thanks!This came up during the tour, they don't have a set day for a revisit but said you are welcome to visit anytime.
anyone who interviewed recently ask how full the class is so far?... are we just interviewing for the wait list at this point?
I was waitlisted after interviewing in the middle of December (interviewed on a whim too). The MMI was a lot of fun. Withdrew for someplace else though. This is what they e-amiled in their decision e-mail:
"Due to the large and highly competitive applicant pool, we are not able to offer immediate acceptances to many qualified applicants. At this time, we are unable to offer you a spot in the class entering in August of 2015. However, we have placed your name on our wait list.
For your information, our wait list is not ranked. Applications of wait listed students continue to be reviewed throughout the late spring and even early summer. If you have any new information such as additional grades, honors received, an updated letter of recommendation or anything else you feel may be relevant to your application, please electronically forward it to us at [email protected]."
What I liked about NYMC:
Westchester County location in new yawk suburbs. You can either live in the city proper (as one of the students who talked at lunch does), or live on campus or near-by if you're not much of a city slick.
Student dorms available at St. Joseph's Hospital in Paterson, NJ. You can also roate at Lennox Hill, a bunch of NJ, CT, NY locations. Lennox Hill is part of LIJ last I was there, so you'll get to chill with Hofstra students too I guess.
Neutral
Affiliation with Tuoro, which is a more orthodox jewish institution than they advertise. This might be a plus for any black hat students who don't have the option of Einstein (which is part of Montefiore, since Yeshiva University couldn't financially support it). Afaik, Tuoro has been trying for an MD medical school for years, including one with Hackensack Uni. Medical Center in NJ, and they finally got one with NYMC (which had a Catholic affiliation before). I'm sure the Tuoro affiliation has little to no impact on the education on the day-to-day basis, but the Tuoro brand is controversial is some circles. Even if you are or you're not Jewish, I doubt this matters at all.
You would strongly benefit from a car.
Negative
Older housing, gym is poorly equipped/is tiny, limited cafeteria hours. Older facilities also... a few ceilings were leaking when I was there. Students seemed ambivalent about attending NYMC. Lots of matches in California (that's a huge plus for some I'm sure).
"Due to the large and highly competitive applicant pool, we are not able to offer immediate acceptances to many qualified applicants. At this time, we are unable to offer you a spot in the class entering in August of 2015. However, we have placed your name on our wait list.
For your information, our wait list is not ranked. Applications of wait listed students continue to be reviewed throughout the late spring and even early summer. If you have any new information such as additional grades, honors received, an updated letter of recommendation or anything else you feel may be relevant to your application, please electronically forward it to us at [email protected]."
What I liked about NYMC:
Westchester County location in new yawk suburbs. You can either live in the city proper (as one of the students who talked at lunch does), or live on campus or near-by if you're not much of a city slick.
Student dorms available at St. Joseph's Hospital in Paterson, NJ. You can also roate at Lennox Hill, a bunch of NJ, CT, NY locations. Lennox Hill is part of LIJ last I was there, so you'll get to chill with Hofstra students too I guess.
Neutral
Affiliation with Tuoro, which is a more orthodox jewish institution than they advertise. This might be a plus for any black hat students who don't have the option of Einstein (which is part of Montefiore, since Yeshiva University couldn't financially support it). Afaik, Tuoro has been trying for an MD medical school for years, including one with Hackensack Uni. Medical Center in NJ, and they finally got one with NYMC (which had a Catholic affiliation before). I'm sure the Tuoro affiliation has little to no impact on the education on the day-to-day basis, but the Tuoro brand is controversial is some circles. Even if you are or you're not Jewish, I doubt this matters at all.
You would strongly benefit from a car.
Negative
Older housing, gym is poorly equipped/is tiny, limited cafeteria hours. Older facilities also... a few ceilings were leaking when I was there. Students seemed ambivalent about attending NYMC. Lots of matches in California (that's a huge plus for some I'm sure).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For anybody losing hope, I got my invite to interview at the beginning of April. I was complete late August and hadn't heard anything from them up until then. I was accepted a couple of days after my interview, and many of my classmates who interviewed late were accepted outright as well. So you are not just interviewing for a wait-list spot!
II on 12/23/14 for 3/9.. just withdrew pre-interview. Good luck to those waiting for IIs!
Anyone who interviewed early January hear back yet?