2014-2015 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr. Cunningham,
I was put on hold on Jan 5 and told my next update would be on Jan 16. However I did not receive an email or a phone call on the 16th. I'm pretty concerned by this and unsure what it means.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Cunningham,
I was put on hold on Jan 5 and told my next update would be on Jan 16. However I did not receive an email or a phone call on the 16th. I'm pretty concerned by this and unsure what it means.

I apologize for causing you concern - we did meet on the 16th. If you haven't already, please check your spam/junk inbox, just in the event the message was filtered out. Or, call us on Tuesday (closed Monday) and check in so that we can pull your account.

I was accepted after being placed on continued hold twice! So don't give up hope! Also I do not think my phone call was very eloquent but I was so excited I could hardly say more than two word answers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize for causing you concern - we did meet on the 16th. If you haven't already, please check your spam/junk inbox, just in the event the message was filtered out. Or, call us on Tuesday (closed Monday) and check in so that we can pull your account.
Thank you, I will call Tuesday as my junk/spam folder is empty.

Dr. Cunningham, I interviewed Nov 17, should we all have heard something yesterday and if we didn't should we call in? I thought we were told we would hear back later in January?

Or is it if I haven't gotten an email/phone call my file continues to be in review? When is the next update if that's the case? Thanks!

If I got an email today saying I'm still being kept active for committee consideration, do I still have a reasonable chance at getting in? It wasn't quite the response I was hoping for.

That's the email I got yesterday, so the hope is still alive, but I am kind of wondering the same thing as you. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed. Good luck to you!

I was accepted after being placed on continued hold twice! So don't give up hope! Also I do not think my phone call was very eloquent but I was so excited I could hardly say more than two word answers.

Haha I was so excited when I saw the Phx area code on my phone I accidentally ignored the call!

Pathways interview Monday! Any advice for the MMI would be greatly appreciated!! :D

tomorrow is my judgement day. Anyhow know if the emails/call come in the morning or later?

tomorrow is my judgement day. Anyhow know if the emails/call come in the morning or later?
I was deferred two weeks ago until tomorrow and my email came about 2:45 pm. But I don't know the earliest they start emailing/calling in the day.

My post interview holds mostly came around ~4 PM, with 1 or 2 earlier in the day. My phone call, when it came, occurred around 5.

I was deferred two weeks ago until tomorrow and my email came about 2:45 pm. But I don't know the earliest they start emailing/calling in the day.

Yes all day two weeks ago I was hoping my phone would ring with an Arizona area code but it didnt come... hopefully tomorrow we get better news.

Dr. Cunningham... I received only one II this cycle (UA Tucson), and I'm looking ahead to another cycle if I don't get accepted. I have a question about MCAT scores: I scored a 29 on the test, which is just OK. It's not going to dazzle any ADCOM, but it's not going to disqualify me. But my individual section scores are a concern. I got a 12 in Bio Sciences, 10 in Verbal, and 7 in Physical Sciences. I've heard that the Admissions folks prefer a tight range of scores, such as 10/10/9. Is my 12/10/7 a kiss of death? Do you recommend a do-over?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Cunningham... I received only one II this cycle (UA Tucson), and I'm looking ahead to another cycle if I don't get accepted. I have a question about MCAT scores: I scored a 29 on the test, which is just OK. It's not going to dazzle any ADCOM, but it's not going to disqualify me. But my individual section scores are a concern. I got a 12 in Bio Sciences, 10 in Verbal, and 7 in Physical Sciences. I've heard that the Admissions folks prefer a tight range of scores, such as 10/10/9. Is my 12/10/7 a kiss of death? Do you recommend a do-over?

Hi, good question and I'd venture to say the MCAT wasn't the issue with your application. II invited are based on the entire application, with more attention on the supplemental so the area for improvement may also be I your easy responses.

The new MCAT is an opportunity to showcase strengths beyond science, and it's this reason that I'd suggest you repeat the exam.

What are the average metrics for UA? And what percentage of the class is out-of-state?

What are the average metrics for UA? And what percentage of the class is out-of-state?

I believe it has been stated that 1/4 of the class is out of state--so 20 of 80 seats.

As for stats, the MSAR is about as comprehensive as it gets.

Hoping for the best for everyone on Friday! Truly don't know how this adcom will make decisions...everyone I met on my interview day seemed like extremely qualified and competitive applicants which speaks to the quality of this program - if only they had more spots to offer. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted via phone call!! Amazing news. I feel bad bc I answered really crankily bc I'm in the Vegas airport traveling to UA Tucson and had a flight delay and all the fun airport stuff...i'm so happy and grateful. Now to make a really tough decision. If you're reading this,thank you again Dr. Cunningham!

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED via phone call as well!!

ACCEPTED via phone call today as well! I honestly did not think I would make it so I'm in such shock and disbelief that does not feel real!

I hope everyone gets into the school of their choice so we can all be doctors one day! :)

Accepted today!! Couldn't believe it when I saw the number pop up on my phone..

Anyone who interviewed for the Pathways Scholars Program hear anything yet today? I know the committee is supposed to meet today...

Anyone who interviewed for the Pathways Scholars Program hear anything yet today? I know the committee is supposed to meet today...
Not yet- I'm thinking it will be late today- Dr. Cunningham mentioned it could even be tomorrow.

Congrats! Guess if we haven't heard thats not a good sign lol

I also haven't received the formal email yet either, but I also did get the one on the summer scrubs program.

I received my formal email on March 4 so about 5 days after receiving my acceptance via phone and I received the summer scrubs email before receiving the formal email. So I'm sure you all will be getting yours soon too! Congrats btw :)

@ShabbaRanks @falafelplz @mcwrigh4 @jeanerette

Have you all received a formal acceptance email yet? I got an email about a summer scrubs program for accepted medical students, but not the official email, so just curious. Thanks.
I received an official email, including a letter in the mail way later from the student dean. Have you tried checking your student portal in the communications tab? If they emailed you something, even if maybe you missed it in your inbox, it should show up there.

Dr. Cunningham, does UAPHX have any stats on interviews granted to reapplicants who were rejected pre-interview the first cycle? Also, would you say that a completely new personal statement and changed secondary responses have as much impact (or more) on a II decision as an improved MCAT score and ECs?

I believe they closed on the 16th. If you were applying as a counselor it may still be open. Go to the Facebook page for the college and there's a link to the application form below our match day videos and pictures.

Okay awesome thanks, I was asking for volunteer counselors. I got an e-mail a while back after I was accepted but there was no deadline posted. I'll check out the website though.

Hello Dr. Cunningham,

I plan on taking BIO 160 (Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology) at a Maricopa community college. Would this fulfill the A+P requirement and does the admissions team look at taking such classes at a community college differently than at a university?

Thank you

Hello Dr. Cunningham,

I plan on taking BIO 160 (Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology) at a Maricopa community college. Would this fulfill the A+P requirement and does the admissions team look at taking such classes at a community college differently than at a university?

Thank you
Hi Nyle,

I'd encourage you to schedule a phone advising appointment to review your coursework and other components of your application - email the office at [email protected]

The answer is yes, this course satisfies the requirement and CC courses are accepted. You don't want all of your courses to come from CC, though, because we do require upper division work.

Dr. Cunningham, does UAPHX have any stats on interviews granted to reapplicants who were rejected pre-interview the first cycle? Also, would you say that a completely new personal statement and changed secondary responses have as much impact (or more) on a II decision as an improved MCAT score and ECs?
Sorry that I overlooked this note.

We will release our 2015 cycle stats in the fall, so stay tuned to our website - phoenixmed.arizona.edu

The second question is tough to answer without knowing more, so I'll be general. The supplemental is the gateway to an interview! Personal statement should be changed since last year because you are a different person today than last year...

A new MCAT score depends on how old the previous test is and what you've been doing in the meantime to keep yourself academically prepared...

I'd also encourage you to schedule a phone advising appointment with our staff to discuss your reapplication.

Hello Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question regarding letters of rec. I interned with an Arizona congresswoman during the summer between my senior year of high school and freshman year at university. I think a letter from a member of congress would look very good but I am afraid that my involvement with her occurred much too soon in my college career. Would an admissions team see this letter as outdated or irrelevant?

Thank you!

Hello Dr. Cunningham,

I have a question regarding letters of rec. I interned with an Arizona congresswoman during the summer between my senior year of high school and freshman year at university. I think a letter from a member of congress would look very good but I am afraid that my involvement with her occurred much too soon in my college career. Would an admissions team see this letter as outdated or irrelevant?

Thank you!
Hi Nyle,

I would suggest that you not use this letter for the reasons you mentioned, outdated and irrelevant.

As tough as it was, I have declined my acceptance to this wonderful school. Hopefully my spot goes to one of you still waiting!

I have also just declined my acceptance. This was a really, really tough decision. I loved AZ-Phx, and wanted so badly to return to AZ. In the end, though, I also love Mizzou equally and in-state tuition is just unbeatable. I hope my spot goes to someone reading here!!